Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Sausage Party is completely awesome. If you want an animated film like Beavis and Butthead etc with a slightly deeper meaning I highly recommend it.

Watched The Simpsons movie again and it is completely dreadful. Not funny at all and had a crap idea for a plot.

Gonna Watch the first couple of series of the X files. I already know I love the first season but not sure on the rest. The movie was good as well but I've seen that a few times.
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

I enjoyed the Simpsons more than I thought I would. Worth admitting that my expectations going in were through the floor, mind.

Saw Stan and Ollie today. Most people stayed until the clips of the 'originals' over the credits had finished. And I've been on the trainline that they were on for the historical shots. But yeah, enjoyed it. Reilly's Oliver Hardy was actually uncanny at times.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

John Reilly is either absolutely hilarious (Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, etc...) or absolutely awful (Dewey Cox). Seems when he pairs up with Will Farrel, he’s comedic gold. Probably gonna catch this when it hits Amazon Prime for rent.

ETA... I confused the movie PT was talking about with Holmes and Watson. That’s the one I’m looking forward to watching because I do love Farrel’s interaction with Reilly.
    Last edited by meandi; 01-20-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Oh yeah, nearly went to see that but the trailer put me right off.

In the States, Holmes and Watson was one of the worst movies ever. People walked out of the theaters in droves. The news was reporting it bc of how bad the movie was.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-20-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Went to see that Mary Queen of Scots movie. It looks good on the screen, it's well acted, and there are some bits you can find to like about it. But generally speaking the writing is just a bit off. You can definitely see what they are going for but it kind of clubs you in the face with its central idea and it would have been better for a bit more restraint.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    That's disappointing to hear. I'm yet to see it. Still will, of course, but I guess I'll be a little warier now.

I'm appalled that it's the end of January and I've been to the cinema so far this year a grand total of once. I have a week off work next week so intending to spend a day there, try and get three in, maybe four if I can manage it! Vice I really want to see, Mary Queen of Scots and otherwise I'll slot in what I can. Still haven't seen The Favourite yet either actually.

I've been pretty lucky and have got to a few now. I think it's about 6 for the month, though there's a chance I'm remembering one or two from December. But I've definitely been to Mary QoS and Stan and Ollie in the last week or so, and then I reckon I've been to Colette, Into the Spiderverse, The Front Runner, and The Favourite. So yeah, have done OK.

Plan is to see Vice tomorrow. Might see Green Book as it got all those nominations too at some point. Alita Battle Angel is out soon and the trailer makes it look impressive, even if you end up walking out because a Cameron movie is roughly as long as puberty. Then the trailers for that new Branagh movie about Shakespeare look great. So plenty to see soon, too.

EDIT: You've now got me scanning how much I've seen since my card renewed last year...

Went and saw Green Book today. Thought it was terrific. Of the movies up for the category it has become my favourite of the bunch. But in saying that, I can see why some may not enjoy it. Would be very surprised if Ali doesn’t get the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance.

So I decided to have a serious go at Cineworld's 100 Films in 2019 challenge at the beginning of this last week, which meant I had some catching up to do as I went in to last Monday having only seen one: Stan & Ollie.

Happy to report that I squeezed in 7 movies this week, and already have my eye on Burning (a Korean film that's been getting some major buzz from critics) and maybe this Battle Angel movie that looks awful in the coming week!

My running order of what I enjoyed the most so far this year would look like:

1. Green Book - tremendous film, I can understand why some have criticised it but I thought the two central performances and that relationship between their characters was really delightful and made it so infinitely watchable. I also thought it was confident in challenging the themes it deals with.

2. Beautiful Boy - a lot of people have been condemning this, especially because of its use of music, but honestly I thought it was fantastic. The story is performed in a deeply affecting way and I'm a huge fan of Timotheé Chalamet, who puts in a central performance almost on par with his effort in Call Me By Your Name. Deeply moving.

3. Destroyer - not quite the powerhouse I was anticipating, but Nicole Kidman is unrecognisable and pretty damn excellent. It's also got a really cool twist in it that totally took me by surprise, to the point of having me leaning forwards in my seat!

4. Stan & Ollie - quietly charming, is how I would describe it. It felt a little straight-forward with no real peak in the drama to push it to that next level for me, but the the way they weaved in comic routines as if they'd come straight out of one of the classic Laurel and Hardy films was ingenious. More sterling performances too.

5. Vice - a little disappointed with it, as I didn't realise it was Adam McKay, so finding it executed in a manner very similar of The Big Short took me by surprise. Was compelling for certain, but everything felt like it was trying a little too hard to really drive its nihilistic viewpoint home.

6. Can You Ever Forgive Me? - like Stan & Ollie, it's a pretty straight-forward film really, but it lacks the same great performances that gave Stan & Ollie its charm. I know it's gotten some awards buzz and I'm honestly unsure why. I found it to be little more than solid.

7. Glass - a fun new take on the comic book movie, but nowhere near the league of its Unbreakable originator. A couple of twists - one better than the other - aren't able to get it past that same issue every Shyamalan film has (perhaps except Unbreakable): he's just not a very good writer.

8. Mary, Queen of Scots - had high hopes and they were dashed in pretty almighty fashion. Drier than stale bread, I thought the entire thing just fell flat. Characterisation was handled poorly in the script I felt, and it built to a big scene that then just...sort of...happened. "Eh," was how I felt coming out, having been acutely aware of its two hour run-time.

I hated the story told in Glass. Not saying I wanted a cliche good-stops-bad superhero movie but it sucked. I loved Unbreakable way back when I saw it and I think this tarnishes it a bit.

I've seen Glass and Green Book in the past week. Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Green Book really but it's certainly not a bad movie - it's a competent production, whatever its problems.

I kinda agree with you on Glass being poorly written and not as good as Unbreakable, but there were still some bits in it I liked. I felt it was doing some interesting things even if it never really came together to something coherent.

Dry isn't a word I'd use for MQOS, I don't think that applies to either the history it's doing or it's take on that history. But that said, you know from a previous post that I didn't rate it especially, so I'm not going to dwell too much on an argument about distinguishing why it is not so great.

So I've just seen Vice, which I think puts me at about 9 films for the year so far. To do that 100 you were talking about, I think I'd need to be at 11-12.

That's not so far away. And though I've no chance of getting to 100, the chance of spectacular failure is no reason not to do something.....

Do it! I've caught up to now being on 11 after last night. Trying to make Two-Film Friday night a thing if it's possible. First try last night and it worked out quite well. Saw All is True (which I rather quite enjoyed actually, mainly because Branagh and McKellen are incredible in it) and Alita: Battle Angel (which was just AWFUL).

Alita Battle Angel, well what can be said? The movie looked great visually, and the action sequences were amazing, but the movie was way too long, and drawn out. They could have cut out about 20-25 minutes and made the movie more compact and better. There was a completely unnecessary love story. I know it was based on a Manga, but way too much. The way that the movie ended made you leave the theater basically saying, that this was just an excuse to make a sequel. Wait until cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    So I've just seen Vice, which I think puts me at about 9 films for the year so far. To do that 100 you were talking about, I think I'd need to be at 11-12.

That's not so far away. And though I've no chance of getting to 100, the chance of spectacular failure is no reason not to do something.....
    OK, so haven't really checked in again since I've posted this have I? Been plenty on, what with them trying to give a few screenings to everything that is up for an award, so a bit more choice than usual. Time to take a look back and see what I've seen since then.

Alita: Battle Angel
    All is True
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    On the Basis of Sex
    If Beale Street Could Talk

If I'm right, that brings me up to around 14 movies for the year - which is exactly where I need to be to do the 100 in a year. Still unlikely, because I need to see 2 a week for the rest of the year without losing one, and there are going to be periods where there's just horror films on and I don't want to watch anything if last year is anything to go by - but I'm on course!

The other way to look at it is that having seen 14 by the end of February, when you only have to see 19-20 to make the annual ticket 'worth it', shows the value of having the card. Could even reach the point where I'm thinking of it as paid off for the rest of the year by the end of March, and every film after that point will be pure profit!

Just saw Fighting With My Family. I wanted to like it but it was a terrible movie. I think being familiar with her story and the performance center/NXT was a bad thing because I was expecting more of it all. The movie makes it seem like she went through a brief wrestling boot camp before walking into RAW and winning the belt. Needed way less focus on her brother. Big disappointment.

That does not shock me at all. I want to watch it, but it just looked terrible.

I saw Free Solo last night. Regardless of knowing the outcome, I echo what others seem to be saying after watching it, I was a complete and utter nervous wreck.

Been to see a bunch since I was last posting and am gonna go update my running top ten shortly, but I wanted to say, on Fighting with my Family, that I found it a strange case of art imitating life in a way. I was sat there trying to shake off what I think I know as a wrestling fan so as to keep in mind this is a film deliberately taking liberties so non-wrestling fans can understand Paige's story on a fundamental emotional level - it was never going to be what hardcore wrestling nerds would want it to be. Did it miss a trick because of that? I think there's a debate to be had there, but I left thinking that two things were important for a wrestling fan to be able to enjoy it: to remember it's aimed to capture audiences unfamiliar with wrestling and for audiences familiar with wrestling to try to know what they don't know.

I enjoyed it for what it was. It made me chuckle a bunch of times and I actually thought Zack's story, if anything, was more interesting than Paige's.