The Brain

NWA: The Legacy Series

We're trying to unearth a legacy that's both old and new, in real time no less! Your favorite award winning duo is back on LOP Radio!

Into the fire, I'm falling again

The Brain
    And by falling into the "fire", he means he's falling into enjoying an aspect of modern wrestling again!

YouTube suggested this match for me the other day. Haven't watched it yet. Almost feels too holy to approach.

The Brain
    It is a great one but I was a little let down when I first watched it because there's no ending. I don't mean a DQ or the match was thrown out or anything, the show simply ends while they're still fighting. But hell, it's well worth the watch anyway. How could it not be, look who's involved!

You might appreciate this. Just watched a video from WCW in '93. Here is a direct quote from it: "Is Lord Steven Regal really a lord? Mean Gene says he knows and will tell us tonight on the hotline."

The Brain
    Man, that is just perfect. Was just watching a Regal match from '97 and Zbyszko was actually rooting for him, which made him question his own sanity. Their little feud ruled, as did most Regal related things in WCW.

Looks like NWA has pushed back shows until at least June.

Hope you are doing OK, mizfan.

The Brain
    I'm doing ok my friend, just started working from home here. It's a weird and interesting time, for wrestling and for everyone...

Indeed. Just starting working from home. Part of me is saying, "this is summer break and you need to reacquaint with yourself and your interests" and part is saying "you have 672 things to do just this week and next."

Going to be fun to see which side wins!

Looking forward to whatever you send me to watch.

The Brain
    HA, I know that feeling very well!

For anyone wondering about that last statement, we're going to be trying something a little different with The Legacy Series while the world is on hold! Should be published on Friday morning, so check it out!

Going to Skype with the GF then start watching.

Opened the first video, and the person of interest has clasped hands over his mouth, all very contemplative. Can't wait to see what he says!

The Brain
    Mizfan's Mystery Bag #1, available now!

Listening to episode 5, now. Thought provoking stuff on Marty. I just think it's great there's so many places for people to go. With Marty, he probably has a higher spot on the card at this point outside AEW.

Great moment when Mizfan realizes why Mystic wants AEW to pick up Ricky Starks

Stu Bennett=Venturaesque. Very astute.

Everyone comes to a show with different wrestling experiences and sees things different, but one thing I agree 100% on is Aaron Stevens. What a great, entertaining star.

Great stuff, showing the suddenness of that contract expiring match. And I'm with you, I like CW but don't care for his partner. Hope they can repackage the fellow how they've done Zicky and Sal.

Gotta say, I agree on Eddie Kingston. He brings the emotion and the intensity that a feud should have. The Pope's been a fine opponent for him. Does the Pope wrestle still? Is there a match that's going to happen?
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 1 Week Ago at 02:29 PM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    Scurll in ROH or NWA is an obvious main eventer. In AEW? He's a maybe. Good point, I think sometimes it's underrated to seek the biggest pond simply for the sake of it being big.

I don't know when I'll get a chance to say in on air, so I'll say it here. I get a little Prince Iaukea vibe from Ricky Starks, in that physically he can do some interesting things but ultimately he doesn't compel me much. Starks is definitely better than Iaukea but still, there's an overlap there.

Love me some Aron Stevens. I'll keep saying it til I drop, people said he was exposed as a bad talent when he went to Impact but he has proved that wrong and then some.

Pope wrestles infrequently but enough so that I think, if things haven't been thrown off track too much, that eventually we will get that match. He certainly looks to be in good shape, not sure if he was stopped from full time wrestling by injuries or what.

Don't know what NWA: TLS proper will return, but there's plenty more to be said!

Thanks for the feedback, Button.

I was poking a little fun with the Ricky Starks take, but I still hold true: trading Ricky Starks for Mike Marshall is a win-win for both organizations! If I had to book Starks, he would be a heel, a poor man's Rick Martel, with a little perfume bottle, instead of a babyface and poor man's Z-Man.

Pope and Kingston make me happier and happier every week. If anything, we've not talked enough about the job Pope is doing. I was before anyone I saw saying that Pope would be a good fit (due to the promo-driven nature of NWA) and I have not been disappointed.

I like your idea about repackaging CW. Add Matt Cross to the makeover list, please.

Mizfan, came here to tell you I LOVE the visual of the mystery bag and recommend that episode to anyone looking for something to listen to!

https://lordsofpain.net/mizfan-mysti...mystery-bag-1/

The Brain
    Really do hope people check that episode out. Felt special, possibly up there with the best of WCW: TLS.

Just opened that Mystery bag. Great stuff on Quackenbush and Kingston. It’s a piece of respect and quite frankly great piece of art, too, that’s not analyzed often. The match on its own merits was pretty damn good, as I didn’t know how Kingston would come back, the selling of the leg was so good.

When I heard Kingston would be in the NWA, I thought how the studio set fit him perfect, and he’s probably made as much goodness as anyone with it. He’d probably have been fun in Lucha Underground, too. But I don’t know if anything more than the good old studio would be a better backdrop for his raw emotion and craziness.

As for Timothy Thatcher, I came across an MLW match with him and the British Bulldog’s son. Loved the match. Great, great wrestling, and I left it high on Thatcher. My only criticism was the trading forearms spot he did against Smith Jr. lol. It just seemed out of place for such a flawless, logical wrestler. Seemed a man with such intensity would lay in on his opponent instead of do that old, worn out spot.

Enjoyed this one, fellas!
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    Trading forearms is one of the banes of modern wrestling. Hopefully one day we'll be well rid of it.

Kingston in Lucha Underground, man that could have been something special. But the NWA is serving him really well, I want only the best for this man.

Gentlemen, with everything on hold, any thoughts given to a couple of WWF (i'm thinking some of that 1987 stuff we were about to get back in the old legacy) as mystery bag items?? I was really looking forward to WM3 in your series...so much to unpack and I now we were just getting to the build. I understand that by telling us what's coming it defeats the purpose of a mystery bag, but figured I would at the very least make a request, even WM3 as a one off.

The Brain
    My only hesitation with that is, theoretically, one day we'll properly return to WWF: The Legacy Series, and I don't know if we want cover the same ground twice. I won't rule it out though!

mizfan has a really compelling pick from his fandom this week.

I have said this a couple of times in the last month or so, but I'm willing to consider a return to WWF: TLS. Mizfan and I would need to have a conversation, because it demands a lot more watch time from us. Are we willing to do that? Do we have time? Is Thursday still the best for that?

The other side of that is theoretical to me, and is open conversation to anymore who listens to us. I knew what I wanted from WCW: TLS. I believed there were about 1,000,000 bullshit narratives about WCW after WWF won, and I set out to 1.) See if the show held up to me like it did when I was a kid 2.) To pay close attention to the narratives forming 3.) To unearth new narratives and overturn bullshit narratives.

With WWF, I have some interests. 1.) How does the part I watched as a child (1991-1998) hold up on return, including the many eras that WWF is broken down into during that time 2.) Why is it that I prefer WCW to WWF but my favorite times in WWF (and over most but not all WCW) was when WWF was centered on WCW talent [1991-1992; 1997-1998]. Is there something about WWF being itself but compromising a bit and WCW stars being themselves but being a WWF version that creates a wonderful, hardly seen blend of Wrestling/Entertainment attributes? 3.) What is it I LOVE about WWF when I love it, and what is it that I HATE when I hate it? WWF can be so colorful, imaginative, etc., and it can capture my imagination or be so absurd that it sits outside of reality or anything I want to imagine.

I also wonder how eras such as Bret's, Shawn's, Austin's will hold up for me.

And I wonder can I find anything to love in the worst of times. (1995, for instance.)

So, the idea is growing on me. I just want to make sure it's right when we do it.

Edit: Part of me agrees with mizfan that we don't want to do the stuff twice but, if we get to where we both are willing to *try* WWF, we might try one or two episodes from where we left off as "mystery bag" and, if we feel good about doing them, then we can transition back into TLS. But everything I'm typing is just "what if" scenarios. I would be happy to hear from mizfan and anyone interested in this topic. Conversation is our friend on this.
    Last edited by Mystic; 4 Days Ago at 11:07 AM.

The Brain
    As far as having the time goes, I definitely have it at the moment, so that ball is in your court!

As far interests or goals go, the WWF has the same intrigue as WCW: TLS and every other piece of wrestling I've ever watched. It's wrestling, it means something, and I'm going to find out what, for better or for worse!

I have no objection to slipping some secret WWF: TLS into the mystery bag, but only if we're both sure that's where we want to go!

Another good show last night. I hope people will check it out.

https://www.spreaker.com/show/nwa-the-legacy-series

Not saying we will do WWF: TLS. Everything is still in conversation. But it is true that I had a conversation with myself today where I said, "I get that WM III is WM III, but WM IV has always been my WM III."

Good show, guys. And great to have something to listen to, right now. There's portions on this that go into theory, particularly Shane's part in the opening, that seem to belong into something greater than a wrestling show, but I feel lucky to get to hear it. Both you guys really told these EC3 stories with such passion, using examples of how it applies to wrestling history and to life. Evoking Bobby Heenan's spirit may be the best compliment.

While I wasn't watching TNA at the time this is set, I was checking out youtube videos of Spud and EC3. Fun times. Hope EC3 finds a place where he can shine again. He was a fine TNA champion. One of the side effects of the times we live in is a promotion can have this kind of great, creative story line, and a mob who doesn't even watch it can shit all over it and not give it a chance, just because they hate life? Luckily all these different promotions are somewhat spreading the mob out; howbeit mostly only in two camps.

Great passion; great show. Fuck Kevin Nash! You can say it!
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Days Ago at 09:51 PM.

The Brain
    Fuck Kevin Nash, the long and the short way!

The omens continue to crop up: everywhere I turn I keep bumping into Steve Austin Attitude Era footage, from Austin-Tyson to Austin-Rock. So much meaning for me in Austin's run but not a bit of it has ever been broken down and understood.

What else?

Oh, yeah.

Fuck Kevin Nash.

Was just watching some of Austin’s feud with Jake Roberts. There’s a lot of 1996 and 97 gold that may have been overlooked with WCW being so hot. Some Austin shotgun Saturday night and live wire good shit I’ve come across in recent years.

The Brain
    When we get to it, we're going to find some real gems and some buried narratives to beat the band in the WWF!