The Brain

Column of the Month Announcement - January 2020

Soooo this post is a bit of a bummer, but bear with me and we'll get through it.

After a lot of discussion, we've decided not to hold the Column of the Month contest for the month of January. The main reason is we only had 5 eligible writers with something like 8 columns between us, which even by recent standards is pretty sparse.

We don't have any intention of getting away with COTM long term, but in the past we've skipped a month here and there for low participation or other reasons, so that's the way we're going here. Going forward we'll probably look to have a minimum of 7 eligible writers, which I feel like is a totally attainable goal if we add even just a couple new faces and see a return or two. Here's hoping, anyway! If things don't pick up, we've also discussed the possibility of tweaking the contest to cover a wider period. Column of the Quarter, perhaps? Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks especially to Dynamite, Zak, Ripper, and Type, who all put out some good stuff in the month of January that I think would have stood up well in any normal month. Keep writing people, this is a good place and worth more than the random accolades you can accrue!

Yeah, writing that sucked. Boo. Love to y'all out there, and seriously keep writing!

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    Not gonna lie, having wrote over half of the columns posted in the month, I was looking forward to an easy-ish win here.

It makes sense to cancel it though, especially with only ten total columns posted.

Hopefully with the Rumble and build to Mania we start getting more people around. Onward to February

LOP's mid carder for life DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    I'll give you a virtual vote and you can consider yourself the virtual champ

As a thought, several years ago there was a column posted on the main page called something like "Learn the craft", which was essentially a column promoting this place and encouraging the readers over there to come here and see what they can do.

Is there any worth in getting that column (if it still exists anywhere) reposted - or an updated version of it creating - to try and direct a few more over here again? There are so few regular posters these days, and with a few of the old school having announced retirements in some way shape or form lately we need as much new blood as possible.
    Last edited by DynamiteBillington; 02-07-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Looks like the only similar thing that exists now is Tim Rose's effort from 2018, 'How to Write for Lords of Pain.net for dummies'.

It might be that you could track down the other column you mean if there was more to go on - a better idea of the time-frame, for example.

There's worth in doing anything that might get more eyes on the place. The trouble with that specific idea is a) finding the original, or b) thinking about who might write the updated version. But I'm all for it in principle.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I feel like Sam is a top candidate if we need a new version, assuming he's willing!

I didn't wanna volunteer anyone for fear they felt Shanghai'd lol....

but now it's out there, yes, he'd certainly have my full support if he had both the time and inclination.

Geeze, has it been two years since Tim wrote his piece.

I have been trying to promote this place through various means but something along the lines of a dedicated column might be a good idea.

The Brain
    If you can throw it together, it could only help! No pressure, of course, whatever you can do.

It's really sad to see the decline in this place. It used to be full of life at one point. The biggest problem is the lack of new blood. Perhaps a tourney could help? Either that or it will expose the lack of interest in the forum's these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Franc View Post
    Perhaps a tourney could help?
    Volunteering?

The Brain
    I've got something cooking that may drum up a bit of interest but if we could find our way to a tournament in the near future, that would definitely be cool. Finding the right person with the time and energy to run it would be key.

That's the trick, for sure. I obviously did the last two and was happy with how they went from an organisation standpoint but it's left me with not much creativity in the tank. An injection of new blood needed there, too. Someone with some fresh ideas to take it on.

I'll volunteer to help come up with column topics for the matches. I think everyone who participates should say what wrestling promotions they watch or have watched and when they watched them. This would be to find topics that both participants in a match are familiar with and can write about.

And if it's a topic I come up with, I may or may not use it in the future for one of my own columns.

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    Well if your looking for a tourney, I've got the Joker's Wild/Collab tournament idea still knocking around. Or are you after something a bit more traditional to bring in people?

I remember messaging you about that one a while back, though maybe the timing wasn't right then. Certainly open to any ideas that people have at this stage. I don't know that I'm necessarily looking at something *traditional* to bring in people, but I will say that getting some more people to participate is going to be the challenge for any new tournament, traditional or not.

pair two ppl up as “opponents “ but whichever pair gets the highest rated collective scores for their matches advance to the next round, this continues until the pair must battle each other in one last blow out to see who takes it all.

Ensure that one topic is about dicks. Bc it’s an ol’ tradition here. You gotta write something truly penetrating to take it all.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 02-23-2020 at 06:06 AM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Call it the king of the ding tournament

Or the Kong of the dong
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

I think something that might help the forum would be to allow the main pagers to repost their latest columns in the CF. More people being involved in the CF will help make this a more thriving community, and that in and of itself might help bring in new writers. The main pagers just wouldn't be eligible for COTM.

They already can. I don't know if the rules as written have been amended to reflect that but the change was made a while ago, some have already - and as far as I'm aware they'll all have been told.

The Brain
    Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we made it to seven writers in February anyway. Still toying with the idea of opening something up for the quarter, but let's see how the rest of March goes in the meantime...