Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar

Kingzak presents: NXT Takeover: Portland Predictions

Witty remark

Whatís up guys, Kingzak is back in action with another column. Itís once again time for another round of predictions, wrestling is on the up right now, with the Royal Rumble delivering surprises and building up to WrestleMania. Meanwhile down in NXT we have been building toward Takeover: Portland and it has been a lot of fun. Since the switch to TV, NXT has been firing on all cylinders, and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching it since itís been on.

So for the first time ever, I have watched 100% of the build to a show, usually I like to skip bits of a show but with NXT I find myself completely entranced and watching every single segment, and that is a great feeling. Raw and SmackDown donít manage that. I have enjoyed watching the weekly shows and this Takeover feels pretty important despite the fact there is another in about a month and a half. That is the only thing making me sceptical of the show, but either way this is gonna be good, so without further ado, letís dive in.

Dakota Kai vs. Tegan Nox
    Street Fight

The turn from Dakota was a very unexpected moment and the world of womenís wrestling is in a weird place right now, natural faces like Dakota and Bayley are turned heel while traditionally heel character traits are being more cheered (Becky and Rhea, both cocky and brash, but likeable). I have been a bit disappointed by the feud; admittedly it has been a bit hampered by injuries and time off. So this has been a bit of a short feud, but the emotion is definitely there.

I am hopeful for this one; they had a very brief match on NXT a couple weeks ago, and it kinda underwhelmed (it was about 3 minutes). So getting the chance for a longer more prominent match is much better. Plus a no DQ stip is always welcome on these bigger shows, it offers something different.

As far as winner goes, I feel like the obvious choice would be Tegan, since she is the wronged party and this has all been built on redemption, but Dakota really needs the momentum, she lost to Tegan earlier, and only got a win over Candice LeRae thanks to a surprise rollup (even NXT isnít immune to such cliches). But a Dakota win would likely mean the feud continues, while I think a Tegan win means they move to something else, and that feels more likely of the two. So Iím going with Tegan

Zak: Tegan Nox
    Brother: Dakota Kai
    Dad: Tegan Nox
    Dog: Dakota Kai (after a draw)
    Mum: Dakota Kai

Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic
    NXT North American Championship

I missed the back and forth series these two had mid-late last year, however from everything I have seen from these two this is going to be a great big man match. Lee has caught fire and the fact that he is only going as far as the North American Championship for now is a bit disappointing. The reaction he has had from his main roster appearances just says that he is ready, also the sing along aspect is always a big help. Dijakovic is pretty great too, but a bit more time in NXT is likely for the best for him.

This should be a good match, both men are pretty good for their size, but the problem I see is that I donít see anything that they havenít already done before coming, they had some great matches but this is likely just going to be a copy of those, which will be great if youíve not seen them already. The outcome is also pretty much set, while Dijakovic is good, Keith Lee is ready for the promotion (/demotion) to main roster and needs something to keep him relevant so he doesnít cool off too much before his time comes.

Zak: Keith Lee
    Brother: Keith
    Dad: The Double D
    Dog: Dominik Dijakovic
    Mum: Dominik thingy with the Russian name

Rhea Ripley vs. Bianca Belair
    NXT Women's Championship

Not gonna lie, Charlotte has not helped build this one. Her insertion has kinda hurt what was perfectly good filler (Rhea ainít losing, donít make me laugh) feud before the Mania stuff. But considering how heavily that Charlotte vs Rhea has been teased now, it make Bianca an afterthought, and I was quite excited for this one, this was gonna be a hell of a match, itís not often you get two women that both work the sort of more power based style, and while this is still going to be a great match, the ending has been telegraphed to such a point that I barely see any point in belabouring this match. Ití gonna be a good match, Ripley is going to get a nice clean win, only to be laid out by Charlotte after the match to set up their match for Mania. Hopefully after WrestleMania when Bianca is on the main roster she can actually get some real attention/push because sheís been unfortunately made the third wheel in several feuds here.

Zak: Rhea Ripley
    Brother: Rhea Retains
    Dad: Bianca Belair
    Dog: Rhea Ripley
    Mum: Bianca Belair

Finn BŠlor vs. Johnny Gargano

So the last few weeks have been mostly promos, and usually when that is in regard to Finn Balor, that is a bad thing. But the last few promos heís cut have been pretty good for him. While not entirely convincing since it is hard to go from where he was to any sort of heel, they are good for him and are helping to build up more of a personality. I was excited for this back at WarGames, and I am still excited for this one now, which means they have done a good job at sustaining a build for three or so months now.

This is probably going to end up being match of the night, both men have that sort of talent to just have great matches and so long as they donít get to silly with finishers then everything will be great. That is probably the one concern I have for the match. Aside from that this should be a phenomenal match. If there were one thing Iíd bet on, itíd be that.

As far as the result is concerned, this is probably one of the hardest matches of the night to predict, traditional wrestling storytelling tells me that Gargano should win since Balor is the one that initiated the feud, but as a statistician I feel inclined to mention that Balor is around 10-1, while Gargano is something like 3-10. That sort of really balances this one for me. Iím gonna stick with wrestling logic and say that Gargano wins this one but I would not be surprised to see Balor get the win.

Zak: Johnny Gargano
    Brother: Finn Balor
    Dad: Johnny Gargano
    Dog: Johnny Gargano
    Mum: Johnny Gargano

The Undisputed Era vs. The BroserWeights
    NXT Tag Team Championship

I have some very mixed feelings to the Broserweight team. Alone they are two very talented wrestlers that I have enjoyed watching, and as far as a tag team they are alright, there is some chemistry there, but I feel like a team thrown together for the Dusty Classic has no place challenging the Undisputed Era. Iím okay with them winning the trophy since they have really gelled as a duo and thrown together teams keep finding their way through the tourney, but the idea of a thrown together team beating the tag champs just seems ludicrous.

I get the feeling that the Undisputed Eraís run at the top is coming to a close (I have said this pretty much every Takeover since the start of 2019) but ultimately this is the end, but I donít think these two are the right team to do it right now. Maybe a rematch at the next Takeover would work but I just canít see these two winning the titles here. Honestly I am thinking it more likely that one of them turns on the other (probably Dunne) in the aftermath.

Zak: The Undisputed Era
    Brother: Pete Dunne and Matt Riddle
    Dad: Dunne Riddling
    Dog: Broserweights
    Mum: The Undisputed Era

Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa
    NXT Championship

I wish I could think of more to say on this one, I feel like everything would have been summed up in the Takeover WarGames prediction and review. The feud hasnít really progressed; the end goal was clear and has just been a case of getting to it. And we are here, the rematch for the title that Ciampa never lost. This has a big fight feel to it, but I feel kinda conflicted, Ciampa as champion was a heel, and not just any heel, a real prick of a heel, and realistically the only thing that has changed is who he is targeting. I doubt he is turning heel again anytime soon but it just feels odd to go from someone being the ultimate villain to being the conquering hero.

This is definitely going to be interesting, both are great wrestlers but I am unsure of the chemistry here. Both have had great matches in the past but I donít see either of them as a ďworks great with anyoneĒ sort of worker, just a talented sort of wrestler in their own rights.

And as for the winner, that is a genuinely tough one, because whoever wins is going to go into the WM Takeover with the belt and only a few weeks to establish a satisfying story to go with it. I have come up with a few potential outcomes,

ē Cole wins in an unclean way, leading to a bigger rematch at the next show, most likely scenario, and ultimately offers a satisfying story.
    ē Ciampa wins and Cole gets a rematch: likely scenario but not particularly gratifying.
    ē Ciampa wins and a number one contenders match takes place between Cole, Balor and Gargano. Gargano wins and DIY has one final face off before the loser is promoted to SmackDown or Raw. An unlikely scenario, but given that was the goal for last year and a big story to not have a real end to, I could see a sort of friendly final clash here.
    ē Cole wins and a number one contender match/mini tourney takes place between Ciampa, Balor, Gargano and Velveteen Dream. Dream wins and goes on to get revenge on the UE for putting him on the shelf a few months back and to win his first world title. Blatant fantasy booking, but I like the idea, fuck you.

I am going with Ciampa winning because I think if this feud goes on any longer it runs the risk of getting stale. Though I wouldnít be surprised to see either man win here.

Zak: Tomasso Ciampa
    Brother: Adam Cole
    Dad: Adam Cole
    Dog: Adam Cole
    Mum: Adam Cole

Dog Predictions

ē A moment of considerations before choosing the Broserweights
    ē Missed on his first two attempts, on third he got Coleís ham and paper, he returned the paper though, implying that itís a good win but not overly dominant.
    ē Dijakovic immediately
    ē Managed to snake Dakotaís paper out from under the ham, he spat it out and then got everything else in one fell swoop. Thankfully he spat the name out again, so a rematch will take place.
    ē Gargano, and he scrapped his teeth on my palm a little, not enough to cause pain but enough to know his teeth touched me
    ē Rhea and her paper
    ē In the Dakota/Tegan rematch, Dakota got the win.

Overall this is looking like a good night of wrestling action, it has that Takeover feel were everything looks great and is probably going to be great, but with another show in only a month and a bit, I am worried about how many rematches we could be seeing. But with that said I am curious to see how it all plays out and ultimately that is all you can ask from a PPV. And on that note it is time I bid you all a fond farewell. Iíll be back Monday for the Royal Recap but until then I hope you have enjoyed todayís column and I will see you next time.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Only came to see the dog's predictions...

Seriously, Takeovers are always good, I just struggle to get excited about them - probably because I don't really know those involved. Any time I watch one I always think I should watch NXT more to avoid that issue.

The Brain
    Zak, your score wasn't too good on this one!!! But maybe that means the show was unpredictable and exciting? I suspect they will hold off on Cole losing the title until Wrestlemania weekend, it's just a question of who.

Royal Recap: Takeover: Portland

Feedback time

@Dynamite: I thought the same and it does work, though based on my score it doesn't help the logical thinking for a show.

@Mizfan: There were a fair few twists I didn't see coming which is good. Didn't help that I had three matches that I was really split on anyway.
    The options are limitless, I'm hoping for Velveteen Dream personally.

Thanks to everyone for reading, time for the Recap

What the fuck is a Portland anyway?

Whatís up guys, Kingzak is back in action for the Royal Recap. Takeover: Portland is officially in the history books, and it is in an odd place historically, some solid wrestling action as always but the event was more there to set up the next chapter for NXT than it was as a show, and given that WarGames had a similar role of setting up the next show, we are in a spot where everything has been built up but with no real payoff as yet. So without further ado, letís dive in to the show.

Keith Lee beat Dominik Dijakovic (Pinfall)

Iím gonna go ahead and call this my match of the night. It worked the big match feel in perfectly and it didnít go on too long like some of the other matches. Every big move felt so very impactful and we got to see a new talent in the form of Dijakovic, the wider audience wouldnít have been exposed to him otherwise and this was a real chance for him to show what he can do. Of course Keith won in the end but that was a foregone conclusion, he only won the belt a month ago.

Zak: 1-0 (Keith Lee)
    Brother: 1-0 (Keith)
    Dad: 0-1 (The Double D)
    Dog: 0-1 (Dominik Dijakovic)
    Mum: 0-1 (Dominik)

Dakota Kai beat Tegan Nox (Pinfall)

A fairly standard street fight grudge match, that sounds incredibly negative when it sohuldnít, the emotion is there and the escalation worked for the most part. The big talking point from this one is Dakota bringing in backup and it actually makes a lot of sense, Dakotaís not got a great win-loss record, so some help would definitely work for her. Couple in the fact that in their previous encounter on NXT a couple weeks back, Kai was gonna win via chair shot if it wasnít for Candice LeRae stopping her and causing the distraction that led to Tegan winning.

Iíve got no idea who the backup is, Iíve seen that she was in the Mae Young Classic one of the years, but I canít remember her, must have not made it far. A lot of people talking about the final table spot, but that happens sometimes, it wasnít the fault of any of the wrestlers, sometimes tables donít break.

Zak: 1-1 (Tegan Nox)
    Brother: 2-0 (Dakota Kai)
    Dad: 0-2 (Tegan Nox)
    Dog: 1-1 (Dakota Kai)
    Mum: 1-1 (Dakota Kai)

Finn BŠlor beat Johnny Gargano (Pinfall)

Damn it, I should have gone with the numbers.

I canít really think of much to say on this one that doesnít also refer to later events, Balor was on form in this one, and even managed to show off some of that new cockier persona throughout the match. Heís developed more in his second NXT run than he had his entire WWE career, and that is why WWEís main roster shows are so poorly received.

Zak: 1-2 (Johnny Gargano)
    Brother: 3-0 (Finn Balor)
    Dad: 0-3 (Johnny Gargano)
    Dog: 1-2 (Johnny Gargano)
    Mum: 1-2 (Johnny Gargano)

Rhea Ripley beat Bianca Belair (Pinfall)

Another quality match from Belair, since first popping up to prominence a year ago she has slowly amassed a nice list of top quality matches. It is a bit of a shame that she isnít gonna win the NXT title, purely because someone else caught fire before her. I honestly thought she had it back at last WM Takeover, but apparently not. At this point the best hope is that she gets something good to sink her teeth into when she is brought onto the main roster, and realistically that should be no problem.

As for Ripley, well not much to say other than bring on the Charlotte match, that could be phenomenal and having the title defended at WrestleMania is only gonna raise the stock of the NXT Womenís division. As long as Charlotte doesnít win.

Zak: 2-2 (Rhea Ripley)
    Brother: 4-0 (Rhea Retains)
    Dad: 0-4 (Bianca Belair)
    Dog: 2-2 (Rhea Ripley)
    Mum: 1-3 (Bianca Belair)

The BroserWeights beat The Undisputed Era (Pinfall)
    New NXT Tag Team Champions

The fuck? I know they have gotten over the last few weeks but you can count the number of times they have teamed together on your fingers. I would have gone a screwy win and rematch in Tampa if anything. I guess it is a good thing since this makes them an official team and NXT has a real lack of those. Other than the Undisputed Era the only other teams I can think of are The Fashion Police and the Forgotten Sons. Iím sure there are others but none that are consistently teaming or are solely tag team focused. I guess itís good for Riddle and Dunne to have something to do since the main event scene is clogged at this point.

Zak: 2-3 (The Undisputed Era)
    Brother: 5-0 (Pete Dunne and Matt Riddle)
    Dad: 1-4 (Dunne Riddling)
    Dog: 3-2 (Broserweights)
    Mum: 1-4 (The Undisputed Era)

Adam Cole beat Tommaso Ciampa (Gargano)

So I predicted scenarios which lead to Gargano/Ciampa and Cole vs Dream, and now there is the possibility I get both. Even when Iím wrong Iím kinda right. This match was very much the standard NXT Title match, a lot of fun and near falls and probably could have been five minutes and a false finisher or two shorter. But the final minute is where things get interesting.

Johnny Gargano came down to even the odds against the Undisputed Era, but would nail Ciampa with the title to cost him the match. Gargano has been in an odd place since his return, he was booed for attack Finn and just hasnít been getting the same reaction he once did, but I did not expect a turn quite as dramatic as this. I guess I was right in thinking that there was still a want backstage to wrap up the Gargano/Ciampa saga, and after that I think itís time. Loser leaves NXT match for Takeover: Tampa. Do it you cowards.

As for Cole, the roster is his oyster, I would love to see him face Velveteen Dream, but I think that is just because heís one of my favourites, only person Iíd prefer him not to face would be Finn Balor, not because it wouldnít be a good match, but because heel vs heel is meh, and turning either face is all sorts of terrible. Iím curious to see where things go.

Zak: 2-4 (Tomasso Ciampa)
    Brother: 6-0 (Adam Cole)
    Dad: 2-4 (Adam Cole)
    Dog: 4-2 (Adam Cole)
    Mum: 2-4 (Adam Cole)

I would do a match ranking list but honestly they all have their merits, my advice would be pick what interests you and watch that, then watch the rest when you get the time, particularly the undercard, I know a lot of people are down on the big epic match that youíd get from the main eventers, but the undercard matches offer a much more realistic match formulae. So instead of a ranking, I present instead Ö..

Zakís Takeover Tampa fantasy booked card.

Gargano/Ciampa IV: Loser Leaves NXT
    Cole/Dream NXT Championship
    Keith Lee vs anyone
    A womanís match that is built to matter since the title is on WrestleMania (Nox/Kai III perhaps)

That is my Tampa wish list, in a perfect world all would happen but so long as two of them do, Iíll be happy.

So I watched a few episodes of NXT UK prior to predicting Blackpool and I did poorly, Iíve watched weekly up to this and Iíve done poorly. Does having an interest in a show make me bad at predicting. That would explain so much. as is another strong showing from the dog who is having a pretty good 2020 thus far, and my brother getting the perfect score, last time he did that was Extreme Rules 2014, which really highlights how long Iíve been doing this.

And on that note it is time I bid you all a fond farewell. Iíll be back with another column fairly soon, and then it is back to the PPV-Star seriesí as we head towards Elimination Chamber. But for now I hope you have enjoyed todayís column and I will see you next time.

You know, I've never watched a Takeover before. It's not for lack of accessibility and by all accounts they're always good to great, but I suppose because I haven't followed NXT at all I'd be a fish out of water. Not much to comment on here since I don't watch NXT, but I will say Charlotte being on the horizon probably took some of the heat off the Rhipley/Belair match. There was always going to be a clear winner which probably took unpredictability factor away from this match.

Still nice work, though. And damn bro, when last did you miss a PPV?

What the fuck is a Portland anyway?
    I just googled this. Within a couple of clicks on the 'People also ask' section of the results, I found this little gem:

Why is Portland so weird?
    Portland has been affectionately referred to as ďweirdĒ for decades Ė perhaps because it has the most strip clubs per capita in the nation or the high prevalence of man buns and mustaches.

I assume that means a Portland can be used to describe anywhere that men with mustaches strip naked to eat buns.

Do Americans use the word buns to describe the type of cake, or does that solely have the, uh, "other" meaning?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    In American a bun wouldn't be a kind of cake but more like the bread you eat a hamburger on.

And butts, yes.

They are buns here, too.

Also rolls, batches, barms, cobs, baps and bread cakes. Depending on where you are in the country.

A sticky bun, on the other hand, is a cake.

I don't think we'd really use it to mean ass unless we were acting American, but maybe someone would disagree.

I don't think I'd have thought to use it for that even if I was pretending to be American.

Feedback time

@Don: You don't have to watch NXT for a Takeover to be enjoyable, based on everything I hear most people do it that way. However adding NXT in does add an additional level to proceedings.

Last PPV I missed: I skip every Saudi show but that is a blend of principles and because they are meh. aside from that the only last one I missed was Backlash 2018, because it was after the first Saudi Show (which I did predict for) and just general burn out. After that I can't remember the last time.

@Dynamite: So Portland is a oversized strip club full of hipsters Ö the more you know.

The Great Bun Debate

I think the only time i'd say bun would be to describe the holder of a burger or hotdog. Those are buns.
    Also Iced/sticky buns, those are the only buns I can think we have over here.

I think the different name also would refer to the type of bread or what it's being used for. IE if I put some bacon in a roll, it's a bacon roll (or bacon bap), but if I put a burger in they suddenly become buns.

Also correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Baps also used to mean boobs?

Which brings me to my final point.

So Buns mean butts, and baps man breasts, the big question here is why the hell are we, as a culture, sexualizing bread products?

BAPS, is an American slang and a acronym meaning Black American Princesses.

Also, Buns is an American slang for butt cheeks.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingzak13 View Post
    Also correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Baps also used to mean boobs?
    This is true - one of the thousands of words we have for breasts. I sometimes think that anything will mean breasts if you say it in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    This is true - one of the thousands of words we have for breasts. I sometimes think that anything will mean breasts if you say it in the right way.
    Really? Huh...Also very true, almost everything can be a slang for breasts.

Knockers, Jugs, Fun Bags, Mounds...etc.

The Brain
    We've got loads of words for dicks, too!

Never heard baps though, in any context to be honest!

Yes, way too many words for dicks....

The only time I have ever heard BAPS was in reference to Black American Princesses. There was also a movie called BAPS.

Here...look at this crap...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.A.P.S.