Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gas prices have also continued to drop like crazy here. This morning my local station that I use is at 82.9, and the Costco gas station is 77.9 (Too far from me so I never use it though)

The city has closed all museums, rec centres, pools etc and they opened the first testing centre locally that can test up to 400 people a day. They will only test if you are in a risk group (recent travel, close contact with someone that recently traveled, or have the fever/dry cough symptom). Of the 200 that got tested yesterday 3 were positive

I've tried to compile a list of advantages for the current situation, in an attempt to make the best out of the terrible situation:

- Spending less on travel and petrol. Now that' I'm working from home that will equate to a good £50 a month saved, should this go on for a while.
    - Finally getting through that Netflix list. I have well over 100 things on my list, I've already burnt through 4 films/series since the start of the week.
    - Similar story with videogames
    - Eating healthier. Believe it or not, I'm cooking a lot more now that i work flexi time, so better lunches and meals. This of course may change if shops begin to close down...
    - Brought my family closer. Coming from a very fractured family, mentally and geographically, it's been nice to see and hear from them and pulling together for my nan and grandad who are at risk the most.
    - Taking care of myself better. Not that I didn't already have a daily shower, but I'm much more attuned to my personal hygiene.
    - Purely work-wise (I work in marketing), there's a possibility my work could benefit from this pandemic as we offer Internet Telephony, perfect for working from home scenarios

Anyone else trying to see the silver linings?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Anyone else trying to see the silver linings?
    Working from home means...

- I don't have people just walking into my office expecting me to fix shit for them right away, regardless of the fact that I'm obviously on a fucking meeting

Wow, I can only think of 1 silver lining, but I guess that's the biggest and most annoying one for me

- I only live < 10 mins from work on a regular day (weather permitting) so I'm not saving anything time or gas cost wise really
    - I've gone from having three 22" monitors + Laptop monitor to one 24" + Laptop monitor (I can't fit more, I already have two 27" monitors on a desk mount stand for my home computer, plus the work laptop & monitor) so I don't have enough screens to be as productive as I normally am (at least it makes me feel less productive)
    - I've somehow become the person coordinating some of the pandemic activities should someone in any of our locations test positive (8 locations, thousands of staff) so now I feel busier than ever

Funny how people are suddenly listening to what I have been saying for several years about our IT infrastructure for remote working and now they are scrambling

frustrating as fuck

Transgender Terror
    Can you fix my computer?

It was hot so I poured cold water on it to cool it off. Now it won't work at all.

At least you used the word "computer", the asking to fix their "CPU" does me in big time

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    Same here in Ontario (Canada), it's starting to pick up the pace a bit. I stopped by Walmart for a few things earlier this afternoon and there was a massive crowd in the canned food aisle piling their carts full of cans of veggies, soups and spaghetti sauces, pushing into each other budding in, I paused to watch the insanity of it all for a moment.

People are just fucking crazy

Edit: They have just announced that all publicly funded schools in Ontario are closed from March 14th through April 5th

And a baby (under 1) has tested positive as well
    In the Kitchener-Waterloo of Ontario (where I'm at) we have 5 confirmed cases. All are isolated and being treated to recovery, thankfully.

Working from home looks to be in the future. I have a family vacation to Ottawa area (about 5-7 hours drive depending on traffic) next weekend, which thankfully isn't a major issue for anyone (who I'm visiting, or my work). But I work as a webcam trainer, so I still need to dress presentably (though I'm surrounded by Friday the 13th memorabilia, so still not the most professional).

We're at 10 in Ottawa currently which is still pretty low for the area size. The plus for your vacation is the continued gas price drop. The museums, rec centres, pools etc in Ottawa are all closed until April 5th, so hopefully your plans aren't ruined by all the closures.

I saw that Urban Outfitters and Apple closed their stores for now, many businesses are now operating at reduced hours including major shopping centres, and a lot of places will not accept any cash for now.

Here is a list of stuff changed out here https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-bus...nues-1.4853245

Got the order to work from home where possible last night from work, which lines up with the Government advice here. I was intending to regardless, but knowing that work supports that is a positive thing at least.

My main concern is that we were bidding for some work that would have meant some travel and site work. Currently work needs us to complete extra sign off steps for site work in line with the 'only essential travel' edict, but I'm not sure how that will apply in this case which isn't a current project. It'll be frustrating, rather than life changing, if we don't get the work, because it would have kept me going for 2-3 years - we don't often get projects like that.

I booked a flight from New York to Orlando months ago for vacation before the coronavirus was a thought in our mind and today is the day I travel. Lots of anxiety not because of being unsafe but just leaving with all this chaos going on.

There were 11 people including crew on my flight from Rochester to New York City. I expect the flight to Orlando to be more populated.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I booked a flight from New York to Orlando months ago for vacation before the coronavirus was a thought in our mind and today is the day I travel. Lots of anxiety not because of being unsafe but just leaving with all this chaos going on.

There were 11 people including crew on my flight from Rochester to New York City. I expect the flight to Orlando to be more populated.
    Are you visiting family or just going to enjoy all the tourist attractions in Orlando? Because I imagine everything is closed right now.

Lots of the tourist-y things in Florida closed on the 16th; one of my employees is just returning from vacation from there and things are pretty much closed out.

Been working 14 hour days every day this week to get my Manila employees off the site and WFH. Just 2 more left to get to the site & pick up their systems so they can WFH. The check points are only open between certain hours, and since they also stopped all public transportation, it's been a challenge, so thankfully nearly all of them are now home with their families.

They don't have laptops either, I told them to pack up their desktop hardware and take it home, fuck approvals from anyone else.. my team is super critical to the entire business, and having them home with their families was my preference as soon as the lockdown for Metro Manila was implemented.

One of the vendors we use for hardware said that they sold more than 40,000 laptops & desktops on Friday last week. We just managed to get our hands on about 200 that we'll need to deploy next week and get more business critical staff out the door.

Fun times will be had by all......

I need to vent and bitch a little....

As some of you know I am a teacher, and I work in a very affluent district and we have been closed for the past few days. The problem with this is that my administration, from the top down has not come out with any proclemation about how to hold the students accountable for the online instruction that we are required to provide. As we are a fully integrated ipad district, they say to us last week, that we can use whatever apps, programs, etc, to deliver any and all material. Now that we are in the trenches, no one has told the teacher nor parents and especially students how they are going to be accountable. So I have no idea on what to do.

I know in my own children's district, the teachers are 'doing what they want' and deciding on their own how to hold the students accountable, and it is working. My kids do their work daily, and submit it daily, and the teachers grade it accordingly. Done, done and done. But I know that I can't do that. Why? If we are supposed to be trying to maintain some 'normalcy' in this unique time, then we must be able to hold the kids accountable as we normally do.

This is so easy to do, but my district's administration is more concerned with optics, then education. If I made a decision, then the parents would bitch, and I would be yelled at, and told to change my decision. So I am essentially neutered. Then the administration needs to make a stand.

Sorry...end rant.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:28 PM.

A lot of my kids’ classes have been online since they both started high school, and it’s always been a joke in regards to how it’s handled. They both go to different schools, but even within each one’s school, every teacher does it differently it seems.

My older kid is supposed to graduate in less than two months and then go off to college next fall, and she’s super worried about how this will affect all of that. They district has cancelled school until April 3rd, but so far there has been no communication on how they plan on dealing with the graduating seniors. The only thing that’s been put out is “third quarter grades (their schools are on a 4x9 week grading period as opposed to the traditional 6x6 week that I grew up with) will be postponed until April 3rd and things will be reassessed then.” I mean... that’s fine for, like, fourth graders and what-not, but when you’ve got a senior that’s already accepted a slot at a college and fees and tuition are already being taken care of... that shit sucks not knowing what’s what.

I have a bad smokers cough so its funny coughing near people coz they get scared.

The less funny side of that is that if I did catch the virus I would be in deep shit.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    A lot of my kids’ classes have been online since they both started high school, and it’s always been a joke in regards to how it’s handled. They both go to different schools, but even within each one’s school, every teacher does it differently it seems.

My older kid is supposed to graduate in less than two months and then go off to college next fall, and she’s super worried about how this will affect all of that. They district has cancelled school until April 3rd, but so far there has been no communication on how they plan on dealing with the graduating seniors. The only thing that’s been put out is “third quarter grades (their schools are on a 4x9 week grading period as opposed to the traditional 6x6 week that I grew up with) will be postponed until April 3rd and things will be reassessed then.” I mean... that’s fine for, like, fourth graders and what-not, but when you’ve got a senior that’s already accepted a slot at a college and fees and tuition are already being taken care of... that shit sucks not knowing what’s what.
    My guess is that since the nation is all in the same boat of the school closures, including colleges, that the spring semester of student's senior years will not come into too much of play in regards of getting accepted into college.

My main concern, and yours might not be about this year, but next school year. I could honesty see that the remainder of the 2019-2020 year being 'cancelled' and online only, but not sure about the 20-21 school year. I appreciate your concern, but I do not think that colleges will have Covid-19 affect their acceptance ratios.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I have a bad smokers cough so its funny coughing near people coz they get scared.

The less funny side of that is that if I did catch the virus I would be in deep shit.
    Me too. Both sides. I’m isolating now as I know I’m fucked if I get it from 15 years of smoking. But I do cough enough to scare people.

From my understanding is that you only 'have to worry' is if you are an elder person, have a compromised immune system or have legit lung issues. I do not believe that if you are a smoker, that classifies you as either. Not saying anything for sure, but just because you smoke does not make you a potential fatality.

I would quit as soon as possible for health reasons, but I think in general, you both will probably end up ok.

Transgender Terror
    Has anyone tried unplugging 2020 and plugging it back in?

Shit, good f'n idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPbossman View Post
    Are you visiting family or just going to enjoy all the tourist attractions in Orlando? Because I imagine everything is closed right now.
    Parents live there. Plus I got a buddy I was going to visit in Naples.

I actually brought my work computer down here and am just working from here and saving vacation days for later. There’s nothing else to do.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 PM.

They confirmed community spread here in Ottawa yesterday, and they estimate that there may be up to 4000 cases in our community based on modelling data and the rate of transmission.... and some of us have to go into work several days a week trying to issue hardware to get people working off site.

I worked 75 hours last week, and I'm not sure this week is going to get any better. I'd love to participate in full on self-isolation; pity my employer only partially supports that...

Edit:
    Haven't been at work since Tues of last week - the bulk of all my work hours were at home, but guess who started feeling... off.. on Sunday and now has a fever and a very unproductive dry cough (that actually fucking hurts)

They are still stuck on focusing on people who have traveled or been around someone that traveled, yet know, and have confirmation that there is community spread, but because none of the travel pieces apply to me they are hesitant to waste the test I guess. I totally understand that they are overwhelmed, but I would prefer to know for sure or not.
    Last edited by KrazE; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:13 AM. Reason: blah

Doing a guitar lesson via Skype on Monday.... this shit really is weird.

Pardon my venting..

I am getting really fucking tired of all the misinformation floating around about covid-19 testing and Canada. All those people who are being led to believe that they are testing everyone is believing a damn lie. I ended up in emergency on Thursday evening because breathing became super tough, and because I hadn't traveled, or been around someone that traveled, they deemed me not at risk and did not test. Instead they sent me home with asthma meds that I haven't needed in fucking years.

Someone please explain to me how a fever and headache x 4 days, plus dry cough which fucking hurts, plus fatigue so bad I almost could not even get out of bed, and SOMETHING has suddenly caused respiratory issues prompting the need for asthma meds (which isn't doing a whole hell of a lot) AND you've confirmed that 68 PERCENT of those that tested positive were through community spread... but not at risk.. so no test.

No, Canada is not doing any better at this than any other country, they really aren't.

A new study says that once you hit 40, your chances of hospitalisation shoot up to 4%. Once you get to 50, it's 8%. Basically, they are dramatically bringing down the age where you are considered 'at risk'.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Theres already been a few healthy teenagers to die from it. I aint a teenager and I sure as shit aint healthy.

Nevertheless, if I want a beer I still use my daily exercise to go to the shop. Just keep my distance from everyone as much as possible.

If I hear the phrases “during these uncertain times” or “the new normal I live in” one more time... whoever said it won’t have to worry about catching the virus. I’ll kill them myself. Every fucking commercial I hear on the radio seems to have something to say about this. Shut up already. We get it.

No, it's fucking "he/shes self isolating" I do not want to hear again my lifetime. Otherwise I'm gonna reach thru the tv and punch the news presenter.

Officially 4,313 COVID related deaths here in the UK now. Though there's a feeling that the number might be artificially low that I'm hearing from lots of different places.

New York state alone has about 3,600 deaths, including 650 on Saturday. Most are in the New York City area. The county I live in has about 40 cases and four deaths. I am not in that county however as I’m in Florida stuck at my parents’ house. Going on three weeks Tuesday but we are working remotely so I can do everything I need here.

That'll be partly because New York State is a lot closer to us in terms of population than the whole US, and partly just because of the hash that's been made of the response over there, which has made ours look positively professional by comparison.

The governor of New York has done a good job but there are limits to what he can do. Plus in NYC so many people are living on top of each other, it was bound to happen. The federal government’s response was horseshit until recently though. Trump supporters are giving him a lot of credit for “stopping flights from China” in January, but in reality it was only stopping Chinese people from flying in from China. Flights were arriving at US airports from China everyday until all international flights were cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The federal government’s response was horseshit until recently though.
    This is more what I was referring to - someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we get enough detail to know what the more local responses are.

What I'm finding a little alarming, from a UK perspective, is that the death rate based on confirmed cases is a little over 10% as of yesterday - 47,806 positive cases, 4,934 dead.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a lot to do with the testing, or lack thereof, but given that they were talking 3-4% initially, as I remember, that's quite a big difference.

It's almost certainly to do with the lack of testing. The number of people I hear about who should be tested, or who probably have it and are just staying out of the way without being diagnosed, makes me think you can probably double the number of cases and it'd be closer to the truth.

Can't even test the NHS workers properly yet, which tells you all you need to know about that.

I heard on the news today that all anyone knows so far is this disease originated from bats. I’m not usually one to take a hard stance, but Ive forbidden this meat from my family table, starting tomorrow.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    After dealing with this thing for a while now, Japan finally declared a state of emergency for a few areas of Japan for one month. It was pretty calm throughout this whole ordeal but now cases have been on the rise for the past week or two, especially in dense urban areas like Tokyo and Osaka.

The sudden increase doesn't surprise me one bit. Here in Osaka people didn't seem to know what social distancing is. They were still going to work, going shopping, and even gathering at public places for the annual cherry blossom trees. Schools have been shut down but the school year started this week and most schools had their welcoming ceremonies at the school, which I have no idea why they had to do. Hopefully tonight's announcement slaps some sense into everyone here. I'm already seeing some changes, like the department store near my apartment already announced they wouldn't open any stores with the exception of a supermarket for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, Japanese law makes the state of emergency pretty limited since they can't legally enforce people to stay indoors or places to shut down, so I don't know how much of a widespread effect this will have.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, my family in Puerto Rico is dealing with a lot of strict laws. There's an enforced curfew from 7 PM to 5 AM. They're limiting driving too - licence plates ending with even numbers drive on some days, plates ending in odd numbers drive the other days, with Sundays shut down for everyone. If you get caught violating any of these laws, you risk a hefty fine (I've read up to $5,000). Coronavirus cases are creeping up there too, so hopefully this squashes the issue quick because Puerto Rico can't deal with this if it gets out of hand.