Thread: Knockouts

Knockouts

Trying to navigate my way through the new territory of the knockouts as they're sorting themselves out.

Allie seems to still be developing a position for herself. Rosemary seems to be another big anchor that they can orient things around. Taya Valkyrie seems to be getting into a big role, and Tessa Blanchard has debuted in a big way.

Still a bit of a way to go before I know exactly what they'll be about but you can feel the new phase of the division coming together again.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    That's a hell of a foursome, and I understand Su Yung and Sierra are also in the mix, and I like both of them as well. As has often been the case, a small but stacked division probably has a good shot of succeeding, at least for the immediate future.

I've not seen anything to write home about, so far. But I enjoy the fact that she's presented as a big deal.

The friendship between Rosemary and Allie is a bit strange, to be honest. I'm not really sure what they're going for with it. Rosemary calling Allie her 'bunny'.... maybe it'll get endearing if I watch every week, but right now it seems like a very strange quirk in her character that I'm not sure what to do with.

They're pushing the Su Yung undead bride thing very hard. It's probably the closest thing I've seen to some of the Older Undertaker stuff. I think you can get away with less of that now in front of the traditionalists (who had their stuff pushed so far it broke) but it's very well executed on its own terms and for anyone who doesn't mind a bit of supernatural stuff in their wrestling, it's worth seeing.

I do like the addition of Tessa Blanchard. And now Katarina Waters (Katie Lea Burchill, Winter) is back as Grado's girlfriend!

The Brain
    Hm, I quite like Taya, and I know others who like her a good deal more than I do. I dug her in LU doing some of their best intergender stuff, I've enjoyed her indy work this year against the likes of Tenille Dashwood and Katarina Leigh, and last year she was killing it in AAA before backstage politics made her seek her fortune elsewhere.

The Rosemary/Allie thing works for me on paper. It's almost Tim Burton-esque, this nightmarish thing forms an unexpected bond with an innocent, and vice versa. That's the kind of odd couple that could work on a number of levels. I won't speak to the execution as I haven't seen much of it firsthand so far.

Tessa and Katarina are great additions as well, I wasn't high on Blanchard until recently but she's really won me over with some great performances. Katarina never lost it, how she's not been in the spotlight this long is surprising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I've not seen anything to write home about, so far. But I enjoy the fact that she's presented as a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Hm, I quite like Taya, and I know others who like her a good deal more than I do. I dug her in LU doing some of their best intergender stuff, I've enjoyed her indy work this year against the likes of Tenille Dashwood and Katarina Leigh, and last year she was killing it in AAA before backstage politics made her seek her fortune elsewhere.
    I dunno, I've seen fairly limited stuff from her but two things that stuck out like a sore thumb for me were her match with Joey Ryan in LU and a mixed tag with Ryan and LeRae vs she and Mundo. She was terrible. In the LU one she often seemed one, if not two or three, steps behind Ryan and there was a really obvious crowd cut where they edited something that she botched.

In both matches her stomps and other strikes looked awful, her buckles were really light and her rope running was garbage.

This is a huge problem that I have with modern wrestling. You can have these people whose fundamentals are absolute garbage, but they're halfway athletic and can do the odd cool thing so people overlook (or don't notice) it and they get over. They're making the business look like fake garbage, but they can do a few cool things so they get a pass.

The Brain
    I can't say I've noticed that to speak of but, as you say, maybe that's just not the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'd be curious to hear your breakdown of what I consider her best match, with Ayako Hamada last year in AAA. The match starts around 12:00, if you've a mind to check it out:

Far be it from me to put words in anyone's mouth....

But if I had to guess I'd say it's not going to be a match that converts. Basically because it seems kind of in keeping with the objections above to me. There's one or two really strong moves in there, but there's a lot of places where... I'm not sure how best to describe it, but I guess I'd say she doesn't really move like a convincing athlete. So if you're looking for that I'm not sure she's the woman to deliver it.

However, that could just be my take. While that is my guess I don't want to specifically say that's how anyone else will feel about it.

The Brain
    Fair enough, glad you at least gave it a watch!

Tessa Blanchard definitely getting a big push here, just watching her beat up on Kiera Hogan. Sounds like they're working with the premise that she's entitled because she's Tully's daughter. Madison Rayne made the save in that one.

I like the Knockouts division right now. They need to find a place for Taya though. If they can there are three natural rivalries where the characters are good foils for each others.

Rosemary v. Taya
    Hogan v. Blanchard
    Su Yung v. Allie

Obviously everyone can rotate btw each other but any of those matches can always be come back to at the right time. Blanchard playing the entitled princess versus Hogan the scrappy underdog could be a multiyear feud. Have Hogan improve after each detour before crossing paths with Blanchard. Show her getting closer and closer before finally building to a win over her...that could be a serious moment.

The Brain
    How is Kiera Hogan, anyway? The only person being discussed that I haven't actually seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    How is Kiera Hogan, anyway? The only person being discussed that I haven't actually seen yet.
    She is definitely charismatic. Her personality outshines her in-ring ability but that isn't to say she is terrible on the mat. She is a project but the right build and she could be a big deal in 18-24 months.

The Brain
    Nice! I'm all about Impact trying to create some more home grown talent. Especially in the KO division, I feel like it's been a long time since they heavily featured someone who wasn't first featured notably somewhere else. I guess Rosemary could qualify, she was somewhat known before her TNA run but I feel like she's way more on the radar now.