The Arctic Monkeys

The Arctic Monkey's one of my low key favourite bands of the last ten years or so have released a new album so I thought now would be as good of a time as any to speak about them.

I am only half way through my first listen to this album so my opinion could change wildly in the future but so far it seems like they ahve continued with their evolution away from their frantic early sound towards the more plodding approach they really laid out in AM.

This album also has a lot less guitar which is ok but does make me a little sad.

I'm admittedly not a big fan of their later work. Even with the apparent inclusion of Josh Homme (one of my heroes) in the production process in their 3rd album, I wasn't too enamoured.

Having said that, the debut album is one of those "stars align" albums where it all just works out perfectly.

If you aren't a big fan of their later work then this most recent album will not be your cup of tea.

I recently read a few old reviews of AM and noticed some of the comments about how they had drifted into something a bit bland, at the time I absilutely loved AM but on reflection it was more I absolutely loved Do I Wana Know, R U Mine and Arrabella and tolerated the rest. Having listented to it a few times now I can confirm that unfortunately the new album has gone more in the direction of songs like Why Do You Only Call Me When You're High, which I rank as positively boring.

Safe to say it will not be on high rotation in my playlists.

Sad that Turner recently said that he doesn't like the lyrics to his oldest albums, I have to agree that Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is by far their most compelling from top to bottom.