Thread: Brooklyn 99

Brooklyn 99

Big news of the week is Brooklyn 99 being cancelled by Fox, then picked up by NBC within 24 hours.

It's one of the few things I watch closely so pleased it's living on. And judging by my twitter I'm not the only one around these parts who feels that way.

I have no idea why they would want to cancel it. The show seems to have a really big following and has received a fair bit of critical praise too.

I wonder if one of the problems is that people don't watch it live but instead catch it once it comes to Netflix or whatever other streaming service they use. It's target demographic is the young adult audience that are far more likely to be using those ways and I imagine the money from that method of watching doesn't match up with the ad revenue from live watching.

I think I remember Community having a similar problem where it was obviously popular but wasn't watched in the 'right ways'.

From what I've heard it's the audience isn't massive. It's big, but it's not what you'd call a huge hit. But the vast majority of people we do watch it seem to love it.

The Brain
    Yeah, big fan of Brooklyn 99 but as Sam said I never really have a chance to watch it live, so it's always a matter of binging it later on.

Very glad it was picked back up, such a fun show.

I enjoy it. Through the whole run I think there's only been 1-2 episodes I haven't really liked very much. Not bad going for 5 full seasons of tv. Sitcoms especially can be a bit hit and miss.

Delighted the cancellation didn't last long. Fantastic show, with such great writing and a brilliant cast.

Captain Holt is easily one of the best TV characters in a long, long time. Andre Braugher deserves every award he's eligible for.

The Brain
    Part of it's strength is having such a strong ensemble cast. I really appreciate how everyone brings something a little different to the table.

What really bought home the strength of the ensemble to me was the increased roles for Hitchcock and Scully, who started out as minor characters and pretty much a one note joke but have really had some great moments as the series has gone on. But I think they're all great.

The ratings weren't good but they have a dedicated fanbase. I'm happy it's back but I was hoping more for Last Man on Earth to get picked up by someone. I loved that show. I was satisfied with B99 if it was the end this season.

Captain Holt quietly became one of the funniest characters on TV. He's like a Ron Swanson where the character just grows to perfection as the series goes.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 1 Week Ago at 08:34 PM.

Last Man on Earth, another great show, being cancelled on the same day was a real double gut-punch! Why are people not watching these shows?!

The Brain
    I think people, especially younger ones, are just watching really differently these days. I love B99 but I never once watched in when it was on, my schedule just doesn't work like that. I binge through the new stuff when it comes out on Hulu or wherever. It's just the way the world is going, and the sooner TV realizes they need to look more closely at non-traditional metrics, the sooner they can stop trying to cancel smart programs aimed at people under 40.