Thread: Fortnite

Fortnite

Has anyone succumbed to Fortnite yet? I caved in two weeks ago. I am still dreadful but hopefully addicted. I love Thanos mode, enjoy playing in team mode and am slowly become capable of building and killing folk. But Iíve never won.

Feel free to talk/gloat here.

I gave it a go a month or so ago (just after when Drake played it with the guy on Twitch) and while I really like the game I just don't have the time to get good enough at it. The building part is so fascinating in how it varies combat and I really enjoy watching good players but when it comes to myself playing it I just plain suck and am no match for those teenagers who do nothing but play the game.

Have you got a Royal Victory yet Nony?

No. I’ve come 2nd in team mode twice but never better. I know what you mean about the kids and it is nigh on impossible to win whilst working full time. But I enjoy trying it out.

I do like what they did with the commet slowly coming in the sky and hitting the map, kind of cool that they committed to something that is such a slow burn and didn't let anyone in on what was happening, just forced people to watch it play out.

Confession time, I hear people talking about it.... But I don't really know what it is.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Fortnite is free. Thatís the first thing.

Itís a Battle Royale style game where itís a free for all to be the last one standing on an ever shrinking island. Thereís always 100 of you, I think. You collect weapons etc, can build forts or other things, but the main aim is to kill everyone on the island.

Thereís other versions such as team mode where youíre on a team or Thanos mode where you kill everyone and can fight Thanos to win.

Its graphics are great though. Itís on Tablet, PC and every console and itís really flipping addictive.

Anyone smashed their kids' tablets over this yet?!

Still debating if I should let my kids play. He's only 7

I wouldn’t to be honest. A lot of the other players are dicks mostly being my reasoning.

I still play it and have a lot of fun. The Thanos themed game was great and I think it will actually hurt the market for paid games like it.

I don't hear anywhere near as much about this as I did, is the craze for it over? Have people moved onto other things?

No, I feel the craze may have plateaued but that just means it's still massive. Plus perhaps more choice of games now that Christmas has arrived?

I gave it a go a few months back, but I have to say I was somewhat bored of it after less than a week. Not my cup of tea.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Plus it's not really as popular among older gamers as it is for teens and preteens. Fortnite's focus is on the teens and preteens asking mommy and daddy for money for skins.

All I can say, as teacher in the States, Fortnite is an epidemic. Seriously. Students all over the place (mostly boys) are doing nothing but playing Fortnite rather than complete any work outside of school. No homework, no studying, etc.

Parents are not helping either. They simply throw up their hands and say "What can I do?" instead of actually parenting their children and taking the game/controller/system away from them.

But I have never played or even seen the game, but i know here in the USA, it is a problem.

Yeah it’s still massive and everywhere. I own it on my PS4 and Phone and still play it. It’s as much of a social element as it is the game- 99% of it is because I’m playing with friends and battling with or against them. Either in the same rooms or thousands of miles apart. It’s addictive and enjoyable. It’s quick enough you can sneak in games at all sorts of times and they constantly mix up the game modes, adding a new concept or battle. And I play for free. Those who offload cash get even more.

Fortnite is a phenomenon.