Celebrity Death Thread

Does what it says on the tin. A thread to discuss celebrity deaths. Please remember to be respectful of others though.

Who died?

Jesus died for, erm, our sins...

Edit: Other than that great fact, I heard The Murderdolls drummer died of cancer.
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-13-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Margot Kidder from the Superman movies died aged 69.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

No one noted that the astronaut Alan Bean died then.... Not many guys have walked on the moon!

Couple of big names in US sport left us over the last few days. Dwight Clark, Chuck Taylor...

Anthony Bourdain was shocking. I had just watched the Armenia episode of Parts Unknown the night before. Always enjoyed watching his travel shows because he really tried to find the roots of the cultures he visited.

Have to admit, I didn't really have much idea of who he was until his death. But the scale of the outpouring has given me the impression that I've missed something there and it's totally on me.

I can't recommend watching his shows highly enough.

Elvis's drummer died..

The artist formerly known as Thurl.

Vinnie Paul is dead. I'm finding it hard to believe.

Theres only 2 members of Pantera left.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Clicked on this with the expectations of a Celebrity Death Match but even though I'm let down, I will pay my respect to the man they call Vader. He is another contributing factor to my love for most of the '90's pro wrestling scene. I began watching WWE in 2002-2003 so almost all of my knowledge of Vader came from that 24/7 on demand channel WWE had before the Network. I can vividly remember they would provide a two weeks of tv and/or ppv from both major companies and I think it was just prior too Rise & Fall of ECW when they were featuring 1993 in chronological order.

At the time WCW was the most fucking boring product imaginable for me at 9 year's young but something always possessed me to play them and fast forward through the episodes until I saw wrestlers I recognized. Somehow I came across Vader taking on a black gentleman and I honestly couldn't tell you if it was Farrooq or not, but Vader caught my attention and I was mesmerized by his size, his mask, his strength. Big Show was a freak of nature to me but, Big Van Vader was a fuckin' beast in my eyes.

I can recall sometime in 2004 or 2005, maybe around Taboo Tuesday that Vader returned to face Batista and I was so hyped up that I actually got to see Vader wrestle in real time but I was scorned by his quick dismantling by Davey Boy Batista. Wasn't until that Heath Slater match that I gave a damn about him again admittedly. Sometime year's later WCW: TLS brought Vader back into resurgence for me and he was just knocking every match I saw of him out of the park for a good year or so. Still haven't gotten to rewatch that original match I saw of him although getting to see him beat the dye out of Sting's hair is absolutely unforgettable and remains my favorite match of his.

Rest in peace. It was an honor and a privilege to watch the man paint performance art on the squared circle canvas.

I don't know if he's really what you'd call a celebrity, but it's worth marking. Alan Johnson, who choreographed 'Springtime for Hitler' and 'Puttin' on the Ritz' in The Producers and Young Frankenstein respectively, died about a week ago.

RIP Grandmaster Sexay.

And Nikolai Volkoff. One of my low-key favourites from the 1980s WWF. I remember really liking a match he had with Corporal Kirchner, which is to be honest the only reason I remember the latter's name today. A real wrestler's wrestler.

I think I also heard Brickhouse Brown died the same day? Kind of a crappy one for wrestling fans.

Sad news today - RIP to the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.

I saw my mum yesterday and she said Aretha Franklin was indeed amazing, but the amount of people on her facebook posting the same stuff about her death was fairly annoying.

I don't actually have any of her music but I'm guessing I have heard some of it on the radio before without knowing it.

She is apparently a very influential person. I might check her out on youtube if I remember.

She's got to be one of the most important figures in 20th century music, no question. And yeah, you'll know Respect, and maybe I say a little prayer, even if you don't know anything else. And if you've seen Blues Brothers you'll have heard her singing Think.

But anyway, just stopping in to note the passing of Burt Reynolds, star of some of the most fun movies of the 1970s and early 1980s. Like Aretha, another celebrity with a Wrestlemania connection leaves us: I'm sure everyone here remembers his role as the guest ring announcer for Wrestlemania X's main event. RIP.

Probably already mentioned in the Marvel thread but RIP Stan Lee.

Sadly it seems to have passed largely without comment here, but RIP Jose Lothario - I only saw him towards the tail end of his career but he wrestled from the 1950s to the 1980s. Probably most famous today as the man who trained Shawn Michaels and was his on-screen manager for much of 1996.

And RIP Dynamite Kid. A true innovator.