Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why did this not make SD?

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Because Vince loves him some tall men, and he wants Cass to seem legit. It wouldn’t surprise me to see that Cass wins at MITB cleanly.

Thing is, Bryan didn't do this promo on his own.. its just done to have supplemental content though. its not fit into the tv format

The Brain
    If a promo like that doesn't fit into their TV format, they need to change their TV format.

I mean like they could air something like that but they would rather air something else lol. And that type of thing fits dot com more... like they would have Bryan interviewed by Renee and Big Cass would probably attack him

From Tito's latest column, as I'm sure you all have read:

If only the WWE had a wrestler who was very popular… You know, someone who came back from a major injury to briefly inspire hope in wrestling fans. Someone that FOX could help market as a major star. Oh, if only the WWE had that luxury.

Wait, they did?

Oh yes, Daniel Bryan but the WWE already BURIED him.

Exhibit (a) – At Wrestlemania 34, WWE did an injury angle with Daniel Bryan so that he’d be barely involved in the Shane/Bryan vs. Zayn/Owens match.

Exhibit (b) – Big Cass arrives and immediately goes after Daniel Bryan. Mocks his size and then attacks Bryan afterward. Big Cass was a midcarder on RAW and was also coming off an injury… Already struggling with the in-ring work and after that initial promo, has been struggling on the mic.

Exhibit (c) – Daniel Bryan did beat Big Cass at Backlash 2018 but Big Cass kicked his arse afterward to nullify that heat of the victory.

Exhibit (d) – Loses to Rusev in the Money in the Bank qualifying match. Rusev, mind you, has been a jobber-to-the-stars for much of 2018 with some talk of repackaging him after the “Rusev Day” stuff was getting over. Reportedly, this match was supposed to have Big Cass defeating Daniel Bryan but Cass went off script on an episode of Smackdown.

Exhibit (e) – Gets choked out by Samoa Joe in yet another qualifier. Happy for Joe to get the win, but these big losses are accumulating.

Exhibit (f) – Gets to wrestle Big Cass, again, at Money in the Bank 2018. Lucky him.

The heat of this amazing comeback story for Daniel Bryan is already gone… It’s over. The loss to Rusev was backbreaking because the WWE didn’t take Rusev seriously despite him getting naturally over during 2018. Remember Wrestlemania 34 when Rusev ATE the pin to the hands of Jinder Mahal? Big Cass is so green and the fans see right through him… Happy for Joe, but “Glass Joe” will soon appear and he’ll probably get injured soon following that win. Yes, let’s put Samoa Joe in a freakin’ ladder match, that will keep him safe!

But nope, it’s gone. The dream is over.
    Do any of you agree that the WWE has already buried Bryan? I would think that Bryan will beat Cass again at MITB and then move onto a better feud for SummerSlam. I'm not sure who against, but a Bryan/Joe feud or a Bryan/Styles feud would be perfect and "Dream Match" feel to either. I just hope that the WWE holds off on the Miz feud until Mania, but they probably will look short term and go with that for SummerSlam.

AND if they do go with Bryan vs Miz at SummerSlam, the outcome of the match is determined on is Bryan stays and re-signs a contract. Bryan stays - he wins, Bryan loses - The Miz wins.

I hope Bryan signs that contract. But without the contract, I don't blame WWE at all for the way they are booking this. Either they build Bryan long term, or Bryan can put over others. His last program should be putting over the next Bryan type internet darling if he's going to lose. Back in the day, when a wrestler was leaving to WCW or WWE, then you'd know just by noticing their losing patterns. This is what this looks like.

The way they've been booking him, considering his star-power, and comeback story, is inexcusable. It just shows that they view him at a certain lowly level. If they were truly concerned about him, and wanting to retain him, they would be treating him well, in the hopes that he would re-sign, as that's the standard procedure.

Do any of you agree that the WWE has already buried Bryan? I would think that Bryan will beat Cass again at MITB and then move onto a better feud for SummerSlam. I'm not sure who against, but a Bryan/Joe feud or a Bryan/Styles feud would be perfect and "Dream Match" feel to either. I just hope that the WWE holds off on the Miz feud until Mania, but they probably will look short term and go with that for SummerSlam.
    No, in a word. Daniel Bryan has been 'buried' more times that I care to remember, and yet he remains one of the most popular wrestlers on the card. He was 'buried' on NXT and became the guy who broke out, he was 'buried' in a storyline with the Bellas and Gail Kim and he remained popular, he was 'buried' after winning MitB and he remained popular, he was 'buried' when Orton cashed in on him yet he remained popular, he was 'buried' with the Wyatt family and remained popular, he was 'buried' by working with Kane but remained popular, he was 'buried' in the IC title match yet remained popular.

WWE know this, and know that they can use him as a gateway to get people heat or a big win without taking any of the momentum away from Bryan. Watch on Smackdown tomorrow and Bryan will still get one of the biggest pops of the night (assuming he's on the show), the same will happen at MitB this year, and time and time again. They can use Bryan like this and it doesn't hurt him a bit. And Bryan's whole thing at the moment, his whole story, can kind of be around questioning whether he still 'has' it post-injury.

WWE will never be able to bury Bryan, short of firing him completely, because he's too over.

Sorry to change the direction of the conversation, but does anyone else miss his Cattle Mutilation submission? I understand why WWE doesn't want to have that in his arsenal, but deary me that was some submission move.
    Summerslam Weekend Preview Podness

I think Bryan himself said it wasn't getting over or something - possibly something to do with no option for someone to visibly tap out to it, and also it hid his and his opponents facial expressions. Whilst that sort of stuff works on the indy circuit a lot more, because of how close everyone is to the action and it not being greatly televised anyway, in a big arena that sort of stuff is pretty important, I guess.

I think a lot of the time people say 'buried' when they either mean, or at the very least it would be more accurate to say, 'mishandled'.

The presumption goes something like, these people have become industry leaders, therefore they must know what they are doing, therefore it must be deliberate. But if you actually look at just how many people on the roster are botched on a routine basis, the assertion that they can't have the better intentions but make mistakes falls down quite quickly. And that is the simpler explanation, and the simplest one is usually the right one.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Prime is right. Being buried is what happened to Wade Barrett in that match against John Cena at TLC 2010. Being mishandled is what happened to Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I think Bryan himself said it wasn't getting over or something - possibly something to do with no option for someone to visibly tap out to it, and also it hid his and his opponents facial expressions. Whilst that sort of stuff works on the indy circuit a lot more, because of how close everyone is to the action and it not being greatly televised anyway, in a big arena that sort of stuff is pretty important, I guess.
    It's a real shame in my opinion. Ok, you can't see the recipient's face. But having them writhe about the floor in a frantic panic, very much like livestock during those final moments, is a stunning visual in itself.
    Summerslam Weekend Preview Podness

The Brain
    I definitely dig the Cattle Mutilation hold but I can understand why he uses it less now. It's always cool when you see it once in a while.

"Buried" is, of course, an inflamatory term to drive clicks. It is a bit disappointing to see how Bryan's been handled, but I still feel like every new match is a gift we all don't deserve.

it was amusing to see part of Bryan's great youtube promo on Cass on SD live last night.. as if they saw and were like hey lets put this on tv! lol.

I am so sick of hearing Cass only being able to say that he is tall, and Bryan is short as his promos. Bryan flat out said that Cass can’t wrestle, and Cass’ response it...well you’re just short.

I hope that The WWE has Bryan win again by submission making Cass tap, and then relegate Cass to the back of the line.

That piece by Tito is pure flame baiting, half of the exhibits were Daniel Bryan getting to beating the crap out of a 7 footer.

With Cattle Mutilation I feel like a problem with it is that it is not an easy one to move about the ring with. In the WWE they have made submissions a humiliation so you need to be able to fight through them and get to the ropes which would be a very hard thing to do when Bryan is upside down on his head and is locking in the opponents arms. It is a cool move but just doesn't fit the WWE way of things.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-16-2018 at 03:53 AM.

The Brain
    That's a good point that I hadn't thought of, regarding Cattle Mutilation. Makes me wish WWE had a bigger focus on counters, instead of just having guys just tap or crawl to the ropes.

Based on tonight's Smackdown, and the interaction between Bryan and the Bludgeon Brothers, and then the BB costing Bryan the gauntlet match, who will Bryan choose to be his partner to face the BB?

A team Hell No reunion?

I'd be down for that. The downside is they'll just drop the belts to Sanity after.

Bit behind the times but just seen that promo at the top of the page. That's some funky American Dream shit right there. Totally feeling it.

The Brain
    I'm all for Bryan working with Harper, but a Hell No reunion doesn't grab me much unless it's a very short run thing. I loved Hell No but Kane is pretty past it now even compared to 2012.

I do think Bryan working pretty much any of the Sanity guys could be a lot of fun though. I bet he could have a really good, really different match with each of them.

There's not a whole lot of faces for Bryan to handpick a partner from on Smackdown right now. Jeff Hardy's probably defending the US title, Rusev's got his title shot, New Day are a team, Orton's out injured, everyone else is shit.

I hope he goes to NXT and handpicks his partner - EC3.

Samoa Joe

I think Joe's too heel to tag with Bryan, no? Especially given he joined in with the Bludgeon Bros on beating him down this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I think Joe's too heel to tag with Bryan, no? Especially given he joined in with the Bludgeon Bros on beating him down this week.
    Definitely heel! But stranger things have happened.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    There's not a whole lot of faces for Bryan to handpick a partner from on Smackdown right now. Jeff Hardy's probably defending the US title, Rusev's got his title shot, New Day are a team, Orton's out injured, everyone else is shit.

I hope he goes to NXT and handpicks his partner - EC3.
    Haha, that'd be a hell of a callback. It is "twitter canon" that "Derrick Bateman" died in an explosion at the Fireworks Factory, but perhaps he could pick EC3 as a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Based on tonight's Smackdown, and the interaction between Bryan and the Bludgeon Brothers, and then the BB costing Bryan the gauntlet match, who will Bryan choose to be his partner to face the BB?

A team Hell No reunion?
    I was right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Samoa Joe
    And also wrong, somehow. Congratulations on being Schrödinger's forum poster.

I'm alright with a brief Hell No reunion, but I hope it is just that - brief. I don't want this to transition into a Kane vs Bryan feud or anything like that.

Also I hope Kane apologises for breaking Bryan's neck and threatening to kill his wife.

Yes, I was wrong with Joe, but my first instinct was Kane.

Lol, anyone can be right if they make a bunch of guesses and ignore the wrong ones.

I predict John Cena will win his record breaking title at Wrestlemania. And lose that match. And draw it. And also not be in it.

I really wish they would have addressed how Kane sold out to The Authority and made Bryan's life a living hell for a months on end.

Team Hell No coming back is fun but that kind of disregard for character and story for nostalgia and #moments is one of the things that really frustrates me about WWE right now.

The Brain
    Haha, it says something that I didn't even think of that when I heard it. I think I just deleted "Corporate Kane" out of my mind completely, since they never bothered explaining why the hell it happened or what the point of it was.

I don't think there's been much concern about that kind of characterisation for most of the last twenty years to be frank, Sam. Though I do agree with your premise.

Hey, they actually bought it up and what do you know..... They turned it into comedy gold.

I don't normally like too much comedy in wrestling but that is normally because it is not very good. These guys though, their chemistry and timing just works so well.

I think a lot of people look at Bryan's in ring mastery and pass on just how good he is on the mic. A lot of guys can wrestle in an exciting way, not many people can genuinely get over as a face and I think it has a lot to do with just how good he is at connecting with the audience.

Really loving the continued slow burn between The Miz and Bryan. I hope that the WWE will continue to have them jab at each other, but to keep them apart until Mania.

Word going around that Daniel Bryan signed a new deal with WWE for 2 years

Does this mean he's gonna show up at the MSG ROH show?

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    Good for him, if so. I would have loved to see him tackle some new challenges but if he stays healthy he can do that in 2 years anyway. Hopefully this will give WWE confidence to push him harder again, and most importantly give him the time and ability to spend time with his family and stay healthy.