Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusev

Rusev

So here is an admission, I don't particularly like Russev.

He is fun but I really am failing to buy the current level of fan hype around him. To me he seems like a slightly upgraded version of Damien Sandow who for some reason has become a focal point for all the fan angst towards the powers that be in the WWE.

To be blunt I feel like despite how loud his cheers are he isn't the hero the fans actually want and I understand why Vince is so hesitant to push him because it rewards the kind of frustrating behaviour that happens when fans take over shows that was originally turned into a great story with Daniel Bryan but has now become a more negative force.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-13-2018 at 04:38 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

I don't understand why you would pick today of all days to share this admission. You do know it is his holiday, right?

Some ppl (including Conrad Thompson) have questioned if it's the entrance that's over or is it him.

Rusev's been over forever. They just do fuck-all with him.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

I love Rusev. Do I think he's the greatest in ring worker? No.. he'll have good days and bad days.. but he knows what he's doing and he has such a comedic flair to him that i feel he could be a big babyface for them if they just ran with it... but they don't.

I also don't like this perception that WWE shouldn't cater to an audience in the arena because those are paying fans for one. Second, and more importantly, you're not doing anything with the act anyway.. Heel rusev is done, having him in the heel role really accomplishes nothing and the writing for most characters has been shit.. but instead of doing anything different with a character that might get good reactions, they keep forcing it the other way.

Rusev is being treated the same as Reigns but on a lesser scale.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    To be blunt I feel like despite how loud his cheers are he isn't the hero the fans actually want and I understand why Vince is so hesitant to push him because it rewards the kind of frustrating behaviour that happens when fans take over shows that was originally turned into a great story with Daniel Bryan but has now become a more negative force.
    I don't buy this logic at all. For 100 years, the rule was if someone gets good reactions, you at least try to do something with them. The idea that a guy getting big cheers is "frustrating" or "negative" is a totally modern invention and I think it's bullshit. You don't have to give Rusev the world title tomorrow, but give him a reasonable midcard push and see what happens. It's not rocket science, either his momentum will hold out and you've potentially really got something, or it'll die off once he's not "held down" anymore and then it'll be done with.

No way f$%k Rusev. First he was over as the WWE's dominant foreign heel. Then he lost cleanly to Cena and was rightfully placed in No Man's Land. Then when the WWE finally gave him a storyline to work with by splitting him up from his heat magnet, Lana, he had to go out on his own, without the company's permission, and go and get engaged and married. No one says you can't enjoy your personal life, but you should do it with express written permission, just like Cena and Nikki did. Then once he was punished again, he went out and got over again, by this stupid "Rusev Day" nonsense, without the WWE's permission.

Rusev should be kept on the roster and treated worse than Zack Ryder. He has been paid to do nothing, and cannot go on the indy scene to make money. Serves him right for going to the internet and getting himself over all on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    No way f$%k Rusev. First he was over as the WWE's dominant foreign heel. Then he lost cleanly to Cena and was rightfully placed in No Man's Land. Then when the WWE finally gave him a storyline to work with by splitting him up from his heat magnet, Lana, he had to go out on his own, without the company's permission, and go and get engaged and married. No one says you can't enjoy your personal life, but you should do it with express written permission, just like Cena and Nikki did. Then once he was punished again, he went out and got over again, by this stupid "Rusev Day" nonsense, without the WWE's permission.

Rusev should be kept on the roster and treated worse than Zack Ryder. He has been paid to do nothing, and cannot go on the indy scene to make money. Serves him right for going to the internet and getting himself over all on his own.
    Well...

Then there's his Twitter/Instagram pages where he openly mentions how he has sex.... WITH A WOMAN!

The woman? HIS WIFE!

Who does this? Seriously?

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

That is a bloody awesome post Powder. Screw that dude for getting married to the woman he loved without the chance to make a #Moment out of it. What a terrible independent contractor.

More seriously on Mizfan' point. I think my apathy to Rusev has been tied up to my frustration at the 'take over the show' attitude of a vocal portion of fans. You are right that for 100 years it has been about listening to the crowd and pushing the guy they are cheering however the difference now is that a section of fans are leveraging that old paradigm and cheering wrestlers as a way to say 'we are cheering him now you HAVE to push him'. I'm probably wrong to judge other fans motives but it rings of inauthenticity to me.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-15-2018 at 04:55 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

I seriously think it is people wanting to see something or someone they enjoy succeed. Only natural.

The thing is though, Rusev has always had a charm about him, just in the way he talks and does things.. and he got this Rusev day thing over. I don't know if it was from WWE or he just decided to do it... but it wasn't like the fans created Rusev day. WWE did so to neglect that is weird.

You would have a better point Sam if out of the blue, fans started cheering for Apollo Crews just because they could.

The sad part is if he just got that win over Cena in that feud he’d be a multi-time world champion right now.

I’ve said it for a while too, have a group beat down a top face and let Rusev (and English?) make a dramatic save. Give him a definitive face turn and see what happens.

I liked him in NXT, when he was a big dude throwing spinning heel kicks and stuff. I thought he had the tools to succeed there and then, and he's been badly handled for sure.

I do think there's an element of the fans making the show less easy to watch because the chants for him dominates some times. But the thing with the entrance being over and him not is, to me, a fallacy - it's not like he has this huge theme song or dramatic entrance like Roode or Nakamura.

Honestly, I think they've let Rusev have some freedom in his promos and it's worked to get him over. If WWE don't want to acknowledge it, whatever. But there's no way right now that he should be being used as some sort of enhancement talent.

Personally I hope he wins MitB and then gets to go at it with Nakamura, Styles and co. at the top of Smackdown.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    More seriously on Mizfan' point. I think my apathy to Rusev has been tied up to my frustration at the 'take over the show' attitude of a vocal portion of fans. You are right that for 100 years it has been about listening to the crowd and pushing the guy they are cheering however the difference now is that a section of fans are leveraging that old paradigm and cheering wrestlers as a way to say 'we are cheering him now you HAVE to push him'. I'm probably wrong to judge other fans motives but it rings of inauthenticity to me.
    If it actually is inauthentic, so much better to give him a test push to the midcard. If fans truly don't care, they'll likely lose interest quickly, but if they really do enjoy Rusev then both he and WWE could benefit a lot from this seemingly huge swell of popularity.

The big sticking point to me is that fans have never before had to ask WWE to push those who are actually popular, it was taken as a matter of course. It was WWE that pushed back against that first, so it's hard for me to blame the fans who really just seem to be responding to the ass backwards way WWE has often picked who to push in the past 15 years or so.

I just hope they dropped the storyline of Lana pushing for Rusev to get rid of the "dead weight." She mentioned it two weeks ago but there was nothing last week, I don't think.

There was a youtube seg where Lana was celebrating with Rusev and English. There wasn't any tension but I don't think the Lana equation is dropped.

It would be just like the WWE to take him away just 'to see if he is as hot without the intro'.

As much as I don't love Rusev as much as many I certainly can see how he has been mistreated by the WWE at different times.

@Sir_Samuel

As soon as Lana made the "dead weight" comment you could hear the groan from the crowd very clearly even though it was a backstage segment so maybe that opened the WWE's eyes a bit (probably not). No reason to split them up.

Rumors are around that after MITB Rusev is turning on English and becoming a no nonsense heel again and getting pushed, and Lana will be dropping the accent permanently and also getting to be part of the push. The rumor also says that Rusev may be in line for a main event push.

The Brain
    That seems pretty ass backwards if so. If they push him but only by taking away a lot of things that got him over, seems like he'll be set up to fail before he starts.

Welcome to the WWE. get over on your own...fuck you. You do it our way.

If Rusev and Lana win both MitB matches I will celebrate by not just partying like it’s Rusev day, but also actually watching Smackdown. I’d be genuinely emotional.

I would be shocked if either of them won their MITB matches, let alone both. Lana is probably the worst female wrestler, or one of the worst, in the entire company, and Rusev's a upper mid-card comedy act who really shouldn't be near the top of SD's super stacked main event.

The Brain
    Lana doesn't seem like a good choice, I agree, but I think there's room in Smackdown's scene for Rusev if they really want to go that way. Worth an experiment, anyway. If he cools off, you can always have him lose the cash in down the line, and if he stays super hot you've got an easy way for him to hop the rest of the way up the card.

I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I would be shocked if either of them won their MITB matches, let alone both. Lana is probably the worst female wrestler, or one of the worst, in the entire company, and Rusev's a upper mid-card comedy act who really shouldn't be near the top of SD's super stacked main event.
    Again there are rumors around that after MITB Rusev is supposed to be getting a push and turning full monster type of heel.

What would be great, would be if Rusev wins MITB in the opener, then later on after AJ Wins the LMS match and is spent, Rusev cashes in and takes the title off him.
    A main event feud with AJ Styles for the summer culminating at SummerSlam would be awesome.

Then later on The Miz beats Styles for the WWE Title at the Rumble, Bryan wins the Rumble and challenges the Miz at Mania. That would be amazing ling term booking for the WWE.

I prefer Joe be the monster heel, after being squandered on Raw for the sake of Roman Reigns despite getting himself over last year. He isn't getting any younger, and I would like to see him get a chance to shine in WWE. Nothing against Rusev, I like him, just not now.

Anyone think there's a chance they would have both Rusev and Lana win their respective MITB matches?

I am a Rusev fan because I realize what he could have been back in the day. He would have been perfect to be a territory's top heel, occasionally leaving to work a couple month program w/ Lawler or a von Erich or something, then returning to rehash a blood feud w/ Dusty or Wahoo or a Mid South babyface. Eventually, once he was seasoned, spend 6months to a year working an angle with Hogan.

As it is, he was shot to the moon out of the gate, then became just one of the guys. Also, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that him being with Lana hurts him. The top poon is always supposed to be for the top guys.

If I could cherry pick 3 under utilized guys to build a territory around, it would be Cesaro, Rusev and Luke Harper. I haven't seen Shelton Benjamin wrestle in years, but if he can still go, he would be #4.

Rusev's a upper mid-card comedy act who really shouldn't be near the top of SD's super stacked main event.
    I somewhat disagree with this. He's no more of a comedy act than someone like Eddie Guerrero (I realize that a controversial statement) in that he has the gimmick but he could realistically beat anyone at any time. He's convincing in the ring and looks like a beast. He's also over as hell and Rusev Day winning the title would be a genuine happy moment for the fans at a time when there's precious few sentimental moments. I know he's not as good as Eddie but there's similarities in the natural face turn and switch and actually the fan support.

I don't get the Lana hate as a manager or a wrestler. As a valet she's great and helps Rusev as a hell or face. She's good as getting him over and the couple dynamic is actually kind of sweet. It's a rarity in WWE and they should exploit it more. I actually find it quite stirring, although I always with Maryse/The Miz too. As a wrestler I think I'd rather her to Carmella just because of Character, promo ability and the storyline potential. She's no worse than the current Champ...

Did someone mention Joe v Rusev, I would eat that up with sides.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Having Rusev win the title at MITB seems like pure nonsense to me. I think it's easy to rebuild Rusev but you can't do it in just one night. It'd be almost as egregious as the Jinder win, and with no assurance that Rusev won't cool off fast once he's not "held down" anymore. Especially if he wins it as a heel, since all his reactions have been babyface pops to this point.

I think being with Lana is a good thing, onscreen at least. If it does hurt him, it's a backstage politics thing (as we've already seen, sadly).

Rusev is amazing. Can anyone honestly say he deserves it less than Jinder Mahal in his reign? Or Carmella? Or Corbin? There’s been so many bad choices for both titles and MITB that he’s nowhere near the worst. And Rusev vs Styles or Nakamura is at least fresh.

The offical Rusev babyface turn?

He is rumored to have a huge push this summer....so.....maybe

The Brain
    I also hear he's feuding with some hotel because his shit got stolen? Poor guy, can't catch a break.

And the Rusev push is here.

Might only be one month but he deserves it.

Please let him win the title. PLEASE!!!

I haven't used this line in a while:

THE RUSEV PUSH IS A GO! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Based on the actions of Styles last night where he punched English, and Rusev didn't retaliate, is there a double turn on the works? I know Rusev is a tweener, but he has been a heel for some time now, and Styles has been a clear face, but Styles has been acting more heelish, and Rusev has been acting more face.

Is it just possible that Rusev does take the title of Styles and becomes an interim champ, only to lose the title to the Miz to set up the Miz/Bryan feud?