Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusev

Rusev was popular prior to this, and I see that the crowd is reacting to anyone being on the screen rather than Lana. I turn the entire crap off when they come on.

"the crowd is reacting to anyone being on the screen rather than Lana"
    Then, that's not Xpac heat. That's actual heat. A huge job for the heel is to get the face over. Rusev is very much over right now, and Lana is a huge part of it.

I do not see it. Every time Lana is on screen with a live mic makes me think that if No Way Jose (a current jobber) came out to interrupt Lana, he would be cheered, just because of how bad Lana is and anyone else is there. Yes, Rusev is getting further over as a result, but I believe that it has more to to with the crowd just wants Lana to go away vs good heel heat.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-08-2020 at 10:18 AM.

When X Pac had his X Pac heat, the faces wouldn't get cheered. The crowd would be deflated and less interested. With Lana, the crowd is invested, and react to what she is doing and saying. And Rusev is way more popular now than before.

You're very much incorrect.

From what I've seen, Rusev is coming out of this really well. It might be the hottest he's been since the start of Rusev Day, to be honest with you.

I'm not sure what to expect from their match next week on Raw, but I'm hoping for something that reflects the nature of the feud, some kind of heavy hitting brawl rather than a 'technical' wrestling style match.

People assume that there opinions always travel and I can bang that drum all day long if I want to - but one of the things I've come to accept is that there is a good portion of the RAW/Smackdown audience who are into pretty much anyone/anything that WWE do that is strongly featured, regardless of whether I like it, or even that kind of thing, or not. I imagine this wedding angle is no different. I'd probably think it's dumb, from what I've heard. But... the people who still watch WWE, I can see a good portion of them just going with it. It wouldn't be the first time I'd seen things I hated go over well with that crowd.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if being in a major angle like this had been good for Rusev, whatever my opinion of the quality of the angle.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think the angle itself is absolutely stupid, but I don't think it's possible to argue that the result is Rusev getting more over as a face, and Lana/Lashley being established as heels. It's working, even if it is hitting every single wrestling relationship falling apart storyline trope and is objectively a daft angle.

Yeah, I think there's enough people who like whatever that he's more over as a face almost just by virtue of being seen more.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Imagine if Rusev is the one to face and dethrone Lesnar at Mania? Hmmmm.....

So Rusev has been kept of TV due to contract issues once again. Man I hope he does not re-sign with WWE at this point. In my opinion he has been misused repreatedly after his initial push and loss to Cena at WM.

I think a fresh start in another promotion where he can be the monster heel, or show his personality but still be treated as a legit guy. I would love to see him in AEW, as AEW does not have those 'big imposing guys' on their roster. They have Luchasaurus (whom I do not see as that good), Hager, who hasn't done a thing yet, and the only other 2 guys who fit the 'big guy' model is Ambrose (who is not a traditional big guy), and the Butcher (who is not viewed as a big threat). So AEW could use some size, and monster types. Rusev would be perfect in that role.

Wardlow?

Monster heels were always one of the styles of wrestler who moved from territories the most back in those days. And it's because once the monster heel loses, the mystique is lost and hard to get back. It's extremely hard to find a monster heel who was dethroned, and then were able to get back to that spot. So while I don't think he's been misused nor should he have any booking complaints from WWE, he is someone who could use the change of scenery overall.

I forgot about Wardlow, because he has done nothing YET either. he hit Cody with one lash, and then will have a cage match with him. But other than that, I know nothing about him. Can he go in the ring? any good?

And you may be right in the "monster heel' gimmick. But a guy with Rusev's size and ability, and personality, and sense of humor and timing, should be more utilized. A change of scenery can really make him shine.

He is a guy that could come in and eventually feud with Ambrose over the AEW title. Rusev is a legit wrestler, and threat. i do not see Sammi Guevara or Darby Allin as threats to a guy like Ambrose. Hangman Page...sure.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 11:07 AM.

My continuous argument when another fan claims WWE misused someone is who should have been removed from their spot to make room for Rusev? And I don't mean who would you prefer to be out of that spot, but who would WWE have been wise to remove from that spot to keep Rusev at a higher level?

One thing that can't be understated is how well WWE has protected their main event. It's extremely rare a main event match involves someone who doesn't deserve the spot in some way. WWE is so stacked that a guy as talented as Rusev still is not a big enough talent to fit in the main event.

If there was one thing WWE could have done better was handle his loss to Cena better. But this would have happened anyways, because once he loses from a dominant undefeated streak, you can't get that back.

Well, when ADR was in the top spot, that could have been Rusev. (or the broomstick that Flair wanted to wrestle, anyone but ADR)

When RusevDay was at its height, he could have easily been shot into the Main Event for a title shot, and maybe a victory. But no, they fed Rusev to Orton and he lost, killing his momentum. Then at WM34, he took the pinfall loss to Jinder Mahal. Speaking of Jinder, if the WWE allowed Jinder f'n Mahal to have a run with the WWE Title, and Rusev hasn't even sniffed a top belt, and only won the US Title 3 times in his 6 year run is just sad. Rusev is so far beyond Jinder Mahal.

A Rusev/AJ Styles feud or Daniel Bryan/Rusev fued for the WWE title would have been great.

But you also asked who would I remove from the main event for Rusev. Roman Reigns and Orton. Seriously. Both of those guys are beyond the main event, and do not need a top title or to be in a title feud for a few years. The WWE could let a guy like Rusev who has done everything to get himself over on more than one occasion only to have his push derailed. I do not blame him for having contract issues, and I think he should leave and start over.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 11:46 AM.

They did AJ Styles vs Rusev for the title on PPV

Saying someone is over the main event or the title is also silly. I'm not saying they should always be champion, but people on that level need to be used to bring up other people to that level. Imagine Orton vs Aleister Black in a rivalry on Raw, perhaps over the WWE title. Orton's value would be incredible to elevate Black, and the title would be a great prize for Black at the end of it.

Talking about title runs, it's not always about the champion holding the title. Sometimes it's about the person who will defeat them to be the next person. Brock is above the title right now and doesn't need it, but if/when Drew pins him at Mania, McIntyre should be set for his career. Orton's last title runs were all about who he put over in the end. Jinder, and Batista/Bryan.

The only name I'd agree with is Jinder. But it's very easy top say in retrospect that Rusev would have been a better choice. The Jinder experiment failed, but there was a logic to it at the time.

I thought that they did tag matches with Rusev vs AJ. I honestly do not remember a 1 on 1 match.

I just looked it up. It was Styles vs Rusev at Extreme Rules 2018 where he won a gauntlet match for the #1 contender after the Styles/nakamura feud was over. It was a transitional 1 match feud before styles feuded with Joe. So yes, Rusev got a title shot, but no real chance of winning, nor an extended feud, like Nakamura and Joe got.

BUT I know I have said this many times in the past, but guys like Orton, now Rollins, Reigns, Bryan and even Sheamus, all former multiple time World Champions should be the gatekeepers to the totp title, but not necessarily champion. yes they can chase the title, or even hold them again, but they should NOT always be a champion.

As you said, Alestair Black vs Orton in an extended feud on RAW would be great, but Black should win that feud. Once he defeats Orton, you can then move him into a WWE Title feud, becuase he 'proved' (as much as you can in a predetermined sport) that he is now ready for the top spot. Think of it as what AEW is attemping to do, by modelling the UFC or Boxing rankings. Black beating Murphy a lower midcard guy, then moves into a fued with let's say, Samoa Joe ( a former IC champion and wold champion in other promotions), and then moves onto a feud with Orton, where he wins. Now Black does not need to win every match, but he needs to win the feuds. The look at the pedigree. Beat Murphy, Beat Joe, and Beat Orton. Black now has the pedigree to face a top champion.

Orton, especially, should be no where near holding a top title again for a while, but as a 13 time world champion, being a gate keeper where he puts over newer talent should be his main role.

However I agree that McIntyre beating Lesnar is an amazing moment, and it should be a main event of Mania.

And yes I know it is about the chase and who will defeat the current champion, but you also need to build new stars, by allowing them to beat former champions, and not just push the same 4 people.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 12:22 PM.

Isn't part of what makes being Champion special the fact that not everyone gets to be Champion?

The Million Dollar Man, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude and even Andre the fucking Giant never got a title run.

He lost to Cena at WrestleMania, because US hero vs evil Russian on the biggest show of the year isn't going to end any other way. Outside of that, he's always been booked srongly.

I just don't see who's title reign Rusev would have taken away barring a transitional run that wouldn't have meant much.

Maybe they replace Jinder with a heel Rusev? But the entire reason for Jinder's push was a throwback to the WWWF's pushing of an Irish hero and an Italian hero and a Puerto Rican hero. It was an experiment that had arguable results (Vancouver's very large Indian immigrant population turned out to see Jinder as Champion).

I don't think Rusev has been mishandled. I can completely understand wanting more or feeling like you're worth more, but if that's the case then I completely support Rusev leaving and proving it.

The Million Dollar Man, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude and even Andre the fucking Giant never got a title run.

The problem with these examples are that they all wrestled in a completely different era that was dominated by Hogan. Vince wanted to keep the title on Hogan because he literally was what drew people in, during the 1980s. And Vince just kept bringing in monster heels to be fed to Hogan.

ANNNND, during that time period of the 80s to the 90s, the Intercontinental Title was treated with reverence, where it was a slight step down from the top title. So when we had Perfect and Rude feuding (not with each other) for the IC Title, that meant something. To quote the Miz, he tired to bring the prestige back to the IC title. And he did, but the shine is gone once again.

But if all of those guys wrestled from 1998-present, they all would have been multiple time world champions by now, and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    But if all of those guys wrestled from 1998-present, they all would have been multiple time world champions by now, and you know it.
    I'm not sure that's true though. Andre, probably. But Perfect never got a reign in WCW.

In the time Perfect and Rude were around, Hogan was dropping the title to heels in order to win it back. He lost to Taker, Savage and Slaughter. Flair held it in the early 90s.

But none of those guys did. Because not everyone gets a run. There was a push a number of yaers ago for Dustin Rhodes to get a "thank you" run. That's not how being Champion works.

There have been 51 total WWE Champions in the 57 years that belt existed. The Universal Title has a little more inflation than that. But as much as the WWF Championship was passed around 20 years ago, it was among a pretty small group of people.

Not everyone can be Champion.

As you said, Alestair Black vs Orton in an extended feud on RAW would be great, but Black should win that feud. Once he defeats Orton, you can then move him into a WWE Title feud, becuase he 'proved' (as much as you can in a predetermined sport) that he is now ready for the top spot. Think of it as what AEW is attemping to do, by modelling the UFC or Boxing rankings. Black beating Murphy a lower midcard guy, then moves into a fued with let's say, Samoa Joe ( a former IC champion and wold champion in other promotions), and then moves onto a feud with Orton, where he wins. Now Black does not need to win every match, but he needs to win the feuds. The look at the pedigree. Beat Murphy, Beat Joe, and Beat Orton. Black now has the pedigree to face a top champion.

Orton, especially, should be no where near holding a top title again for a while, but as a 13 time world champion, being a gate keeper where he puts over newer talent should be his main role.

However I agree that McIntyre beating Lesnar is an amazing moment, and it should be a main event of Mania.

And yes I know it is about the chase and who will defeat the current champion, but you also need to build new stars, by allowing them to beat former champions, and not just push the same 4 people.

First, you compare to AEW. Their champion is someone who by your other definitions is someone who is above the title. Yet he's the perfect champion. I can understand the argument that you want him to establish the title, which I'll agree with. But WWE will need to do this once in a while as well. Jinder was not a good champion overall. WWE then moved the title to AJ, but it could have been even better had it been someone like Orton or Reigns. Becuase the "stock" in the title dropped, you'd need a bigger name to help rebuild or add value to it.

I'm not arguing that your idea of Black vs Murphy, then Joe, then Orton, then WWE Champ is terrible. It's in fact a great idea. But it's not the ONLY way to get Black there. And the other ways can involve champions who are considered "above the title." Because when someone is above the title, it means they have more value than others. So beating them means more, and when the spotlight is on them, it's be an even bigger deal. And the spotlight can involve the Titles. Cena was above the title by 2013. But being pinned by Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam for the WWE title was the biggest win possible at that time.

As for pushing "the same 4 people", that argument is also silly. Even if we ignore the current Brock vs Drew feud, we saw the Universal title scene built around Brock, Seth, Corbin, and now Fiend and Bryan. The WWE title is Brock currently, but before that it was Kofi, Bryan, and AJ. There's no Orton or Reigns in that mix.

Your arguments are extremely comparable to many others online (I don't go to LOP main page, so I'm talking more the DISQUS comments on other sites). And while there are a lot of fans that spout these opinions, and it feels liek a "majority" of people agree with you, that's not the case. Internet fans of anything tend to unify opinions easily. Not exactly a hivemind, but it becomes easier to find people who agree with you, and surround yourself with similar opinions. Same thing in politics. But once you leave that bubble, you realize that these opinions are extremely flawed, if not outright illogical.

EDIT
    Had you said 2003-present, I'd have agreed. But it was because WWE created a second world title.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 1 Week Ago at 12:57 PM.

I do not go onto any other forums, so I am not sure what the other online opinions are...but i take your word.

And my bad on the dates, but EDIT: From 2003-present.

I think we need to get over the idea that the answer to anybody not getting to where we think they should be in WWE is immediately for them to jump ship to AEW, to be honest.

Rusev in the NWA and on Powerrr? Now you're talking.

I don't think AEW is automatically the answer, I just think AEW has become synonymous with "not WWE".

But Rusev in Impact would be a real big fish in a small pond. In RoH, really similar.

I'd love to see him on Power. It would certainly be a real test of his promo ability.

It's also a lot of assuming AEW wants, needs, or can afford all these people who claim they want to leave.