DCEU - DC comics TV and Movies (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman Etc)

I don't know if this will get as much traffic in here as Marvel, but I imagine it'll still do reasonably well. For all their successes I'm not sure any individual character is as popular as Batman.

But anyway, Gotham has been renewed for another (and supposedly final) series.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Gotham was significantly better this season, and then they went and screwed it up. Jerome Valeska was an amazing "Joker", then they killed him off for his twin brother. Stupid. But maybe we will finally get to see some Batmanning next season.

But to answer your question. I think that Batman may be the most popular comic book character of all time, followed by Spiderman, then Superman.

It was really more of a statement than a question....

The Brain
    Really loved Wonder Woman, but aside from that I haven't really enjoyed much of anything from DC since The Dark Knight. Haven't really watched any of the TV though.

To be fair, the Extended Edition of B v S is not bad, it fixes a lot of the plot holes and makes more sense.

Suicide Squad and Justice League are not as bad as most people say they are. They are clearly not the Marvel movies, but they aren't horrible. Plus they gave us the best Batman scene ever, the warehouse scene in BvS where Batman takes on 15 or so henchmen and kicks ass.

Love that scene, Powder!

I don't care what anyone says, Batman v Superman (particularly the Ultimate Edition) was a good movie. I really don't understand the vehement rejection of that film.

Justice League could've been a lot better, but it was a fun way to spend 2 hours.

Anyone looking forward to Aquaman?

I am. In Justice League, surprisingly, Aquaman was the best character, when on the cartoon, and in the comics, he was the worst.

Geoff John's Aquaman is the best Aquaman

I still cannot bring myself to read Aquaman. But I liked Mamoa's take.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    To be fair, the Extended Edition of B v S is not bad, it fixes a lot of the plot holes and makes more sense.

Suicide Squad and Justice League are not as bad as most people say they are. They are clearly not the Marvel movies, but they aren't horrible. Plus they gave us the best Batman scene ever, the warehouse scene in BvS where Batman takes on 15 or so henchmen and kicks ass.

I agree with all that. I tried preaching that scene to my IRL friend on why Afleck was actually better than Bale... but I was met with a blank stare.

I know. When Affleck was first announced that he was taking up the Mantle, I was pissed and shocked. Then once reports started coming out that he was taking the role seriously, and wanted to everything in his power to redeem himself for the Daredevil debacle, and I know for a fact that he is a comic fan, and all Affleck wanted was to do Batman proud, my stance was shifted.

Then when we saw him in BvS he was really good. He was a truer Batman than Bale. Bale had all around better movies, but Affleck was a better Batman. The Batman scenes in Suicide Squad were also really good.

Adam West was my first intro to Batman, and he will always be batman, but the show was....terrible. There I said it. But it was fun as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I know. When Affleck was first announced that he was taking up the Mantle, I was pissed and shocked. Then once reports started coming out that he was taking the role seriously, and wanted to everything in his power to redeem himself for the Daredevil debacle, and I know for a fact that he is a comic fan, and all Affleck wanted was to do Batman proud, my stance was shifted.

Then when we saw him in BvS he was really good. He was a truer Batman than Bale. Bale had all around better movies, but Affleck was a better Batman. The Batman scenes in Suicide Squad were also really good.
    I liken it to when Heath Ledger was announced as Joker and message boards were rioting. And then TDK came out and people were like Oh... wow.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to say that I adored BvS from the very first time I saw it in the cinema. As a very general rule, I'm a much bigger (casual) fan of the DC stuff than I am the Marvel stuff, because it feels like their characters are more akin to modern mythologies than cartoonish heroes, and I thought BvS was a very interesting interpretation of those. I also thought it got horribly unfair treatment because of what felt suspiciously like a mass decision ahead of time it was going to suck the moment we knew Snyder was directing it. That irritation was then triplicated when everyone lauded Civil War, despite the fact their criticisms of BvS applied to an equal, and at times far greater extent.

I guess the difference was the build-up. I know there's a general consensus DC and WB rushed into their own cinematic universe, but I thought what they were doing was a very interesting different take. It wasn't as simple as "reversing the MCU formula." I thought it was incredibly obvious in BvS - given how it ended in particular - that they were embarking on a multi-film arc for these characters that would see them change over the course of several films. I think there was a bit of a flinch at the notion MCU's experiment could be attempted in an alternative way, that gave WB doubts and then they shot themselves in the foot by panicking (understandable I guess, given the money involved) and changing the plan a thousand times over until now it seems like they no longer have any kind of clue what they want to do; and Joss Whedon murdering Justice League was the nail in the coffin.

I'm fairly sure that if WB stayed the course, people would have been won over when they realised this was a multi-movie story arc for these characters but now we'll never know. As someone who waited his whole life for a Justice League film, and to see DC's great stable of characters all realised on screen, it's a massive understatement to say I'm gutted it's gotten to where it is now.

Still, I'm looking forward to Aquaman, hoping like hell The Flash still happens (especially if a Flashpoint adaptation helps them do a soft reset of the franchise to get them out this mess with a clean slate) and maintain that BvS - especially the Ultimate Edition, mentioned above - is not just one of my favourite superhero films but one of my favourite films full stop. I thought it was a real genre epic. I adore it. And if the DCEU does, as it seems increasingly likely, go down in flames, I'll always have that!

Read something recently that given they routinely get blasted by Marvel nowadays and their own films don't get good write-ups as a rule, that their solution will be to focus on the villains, rather than the heroes.

I can't claim to know a huge amount but it strikes me as something that could quite well for them, as a first impulse.

The Shazam Movie for one, should be about Black Adam, with Captain Marvel in it, not the other way around.

If you do not know, SHAZAM is an acronym for of six "immortal elders": Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury which turns Billy Bastion into Captain Marvel, but SHAZAM also is an acronym for for Black Adam which gives him his powers: the stamina of Shu, the swiftness of Heru (Horus), the strength of Amon, the wisdom of Zehuti (Thoth), the power of Aton, and the courage of Mehen. So the movie SHAZAM should be focused around both.

I would kill for a stand alone Joker movie where Batman was the secondary character.

Besides Joker, Deathstroke and Lobo (which would be awesome), there are not that many other DC Universe villains that could warrant a movie with them as the focus.

Lex Luthor NEEDS Superman, but:

• Darkseid could possibly hold a movie
    • I guess you could do a Ra's Al Ghoul Movie set back in time leading up though the ages to a modern day Gotham where Batman comes in a little, show the rise and power of the League of Shadows
    • A real Catwoman movie could work
    • A Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn movie would be good.

Other than that, I can't see any other DC Villain holding a movie as the main character.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 10:22 AM.

Id be all on board for a Ras Al Ghul movie. Show him coming up through the league and challenging for the Demons Head moniker. Hell, make it a trilogy leading up to him (finally) meeting Bats at the end of the third movie.

Word is that Affleck is has now renewed interest in portraying Batman, after word was coming down that he wanted to gracefully exit. I hope this is true, I do agree that Affleck's Batman is the closest to the comics of all movie Batmans. Some of the areas DC is going is a bit confusing, like a Joker movie. But with all that said, it's not as bad as people said it was. I can watch Justice League more than once, and Wonder Woman is a top 5 comic book movie. I do think they should think of rebooting eventually, but for now, finish the story and make the best of a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Id be all on board for a Ras Al Ghul movie. Show him coming up through the league and challenging for the Demons Head moniker. Hell, make it a trilogy leading up to him (finally) meeting Bats at the end of the third movie.
    I would suggest reading the Birth of the Demon. That book is Ra's origin where he is the first and only Demon's head. It's a really good read.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Word is that Affleck is has now renewed interest in portraying Batman, after word was coming down that he wanted to gracefully exit. I hope this is true, I do agree that Affleck's Batman is the closest to the comics of all movie Batmans. Some of the areas DC is going is a bit confusing, like a Joker movie. But with all that said, it's not as bad as people said it was. I can watch Justice League more than once, and Wonder Woman is a top 5 comic book movie. I do think they should think of rebooting eventually, but for now, finish the story and make the best of a bad situation.
    Completely agree.