Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I know. i completely agree.

Really? I think it looks great. It's not really supposed to be the Joker makeup just yet. Think of his look as a work in progress since it's an origin story.

Are they Using the Killing Joke as the basis? if so, they better not reveal the Joker's name. The Joker should never have his true name revealed.

...something like that...happened to me, you know? I'm...I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes, I remember it one way, sometimes another...if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Haha!
    This is why the Joker's name should always be never revealed.

I (and I’m sure most) loved how Ledger used a version of that where he kept changing the story on how he got the scars.

I'm pretty sure Joaquin Phoenix's character is named Arthur. There are definite elements of A Killing Joke in this but it's supposed to be an original origin story and Phoenix has no interest in being the Joker in sequels.

Then what’s the point? This is the kind of head scratcher that makes people believe WB/DC have no idea what they’re doing with their movies.

Then scrap the picture. If Phoenix doesn't want to reprise the role, AND it is original, then why?

Because they want to tell an original story that has nothing to do with the failed DCEU. It's very odd especially being placed in the middle of other releases connected to the DCEU but if it's entertaining, I don't mind it. Basically fan fiction by powerful fans.

Then write an original story that doesn’t involve a character that is known for not really having a “proper” origin story, so to speak.

That's why they did it. It's never been explored. It could be terrible but it has quality people working on it and it's staying free and clear of the people responsible for the DCEU, so those are good signs.

Ummm...yes it has. The Joker's origin has been properly explored in the Killing Joke, and while I didn't see the animated version b/c I heard they added more to the book, and I chose NOT to watch, it was made into a movie.

And my quote above is about the Joker's origin and is from TKJ, and while Alan Moore gave Joker a history and an origin, he then scraps it by having the Joker say:

...something like that...happened to me, you know? I'm...I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes, I remember it one way, sometimes another...if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Haha!
    Hollywood should realize that some characters are better explained without an explanation, especially the Joker.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-14-2018 at 06:57 PM.

So I'm watching Justice League again, and every time I see it, there is a HUGE plot hole in the middle. Right after the team resurrects Superman, Batman calls Alfred and says that he needs the big guns. So Alfred let's Lois Lane out of the car, and she steps out and calls out "Clark, Clark". So what is the problem you ask, Lois, Alfred and the team knows that Superman is Clark Kent, but there are 2 POLICE OFFICERS standing on either side of the car that Alfred and Lois were sitting in. They both heard Lois call Superman Clark, and they are in Metropolis. How can they not put two and two together that Clark Kent is Superman and Alfred is Bruce Wayne's bodyguard?
    Last edited by Powder; 12-15-2018 at 04:40 PM.

I don’t hate Justice League as much as everybody else, but even so... lol at wasting brain cells questioning plot holes in DC movies.

If you haven’t seen the trailer for the season finale of Titans, then omg, you must. It is Robin vs Batman. Dick goes back to Gotham, to try to take down Batman who has apparently gone nuts, and it looks like he is killing his rogues. I hope it just appears that way, bc they better not be making Batman a killer. But it looks awesome..

Saw that trailer, too. Looks pretty cool.

It's obviously Trigon messing with Dick since that trailer makes NO SENSE in the current storyline otherwise

It had better be.

Doom Patrol trailer dropped....

I just got out of Aquaman and OH MY GOD was it good. It had an epic feel to it and it was a beautiful movie. The story made sense and progressed in a logical way. Well written as well as a good use of humor and character development. The costumes were also really really accurate to the comics. Admittedly I do not read Aquaman but I think they were fairly accurate to the comics as a whole. Well done. Definitely stacks up there with any Marvel movie. Seriously.

I’ve been hearing nothing but good things about Aqua-Man. How DC/Warner took one of their lamest characters and somehow made a good movie baffles me. (Seriously... outside of the Nolan trilogy, every movie they’ve made since gets mostly negative reviews. Except for Wonder Woman, maybe? I seem to remember that getting good reviews...) Kind of gives me good hopes about whenever the Flash movie finally comes out.

Almost makes you think DC/Warner should’ve stolen a page from the MCU and taken the time to flesh out solo movies before throwing everything together like they did.

It is a must see. It is clear DC made a choice to make this movie much better than the rest. Also we got a trailer for Shazam, and I am not hopeful for that.

Saw the trailer for Shazam a while back. Looks fucking ridiculous... and not in a good way.

I saw Aquaman. It's a really, really cheesy movie in so many places and there were a good few more serious moments when people in the cinema were snickering at the dialogue.

But if that doesn't bother you too much, and if you are more into all the clichés of the superhero genre then it probably won't, then it will play well with you - it is a stunning thing to look at, for sure.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I enjoyed Aquaman a lot. It felt more akin to pre-MCU superhero movies in its tone and I quite appreciated that. It is hands down one of the single most utterly bizarre films I've ever watched, but the hero is such a hard sell I think they did really well to embrace the hammy aspects of the character (and genre) and didn't try to shy away from them too much. It helps too that Mamoa has enough charisma and swagger to carry the character off in a really fun way too. By no means the best example of its genre, and I don't agree it's the best DCEU film by any means (appreciating I'm not on board with the general cynicism towards the DCEU in the first place anyway), but I still really enjoyed it.

Might try to get the chance to give it a second viewing at some point, perhaps after another go-round of all the others too.

Welp, Arrow has announced its cancelation. They’ll finish up this season, and Stephen Amell has requested a shortened (10 episodes) season 8 to wrap up stories/loose ends. Dang it.

We all saw the writing on the wall, especially after the crossover. Obviously Queen will be the one to "die" in next year's COIE crossover instead of Barry.

Also, not sure if any of you saw that Idris Elba is taking over as Deadshot for Suicide Squad 2.

But what is interesting is that this season on Flash they keep talking about Barry dying or going missing, and in Arrow the flash forward parts do not reference Oliver being dead....hmmm...
    Last edited by Powder; 03-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.

They haven’t explicitly stated Ollie is dead in the future, but the way Mia keeps referencing him in the past tense, it seems like she grew up not having him around.

I haven’t watched any of Flash since dozing off during episode 2. Is this season any good?

It has its good episodes and meh ones. The ones which really move the overall plot along are better, but you can completely tell, like this past week's episode is there for filler. Why have 26 episodes when you have to fill it with unnecessary shit.

But all in all, it is watchable. Not a fan of the Cicada villain, but that could be because Chris Klein is just fucking terrible.

That tends to be my one gripe about Arrow... definitely too many filler episodes. When I do my yearly binge of the series, I skip over anything that has to do with The Huntress in season 1 for example. And pretty much all of season 4, as well.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    So not long till Shazam drops, and I'm quite looking forward to it. It feels like DC and WB are beginning to get a better handle on creating pulpy superhero movies. I was a big fan of what they had been doing with Man of Steel, BvS, Wonder Woman and the like so I hope they find a way to work their way back around to fixing that continuity - a Flashpoint adaptation, to my mind, remains their best option - but Aquaman was fun and now Shazam looks, at least to me, like it'll follow suit.

There's also news that James Gunn's The Suicide Squad has dumped Will Smith and cast Idris Elba as his replacement as Deadshot, so interesting stuff there. Not so sure about the rumours flying around that they're going to produce an Aquaman spin-off just about The Trench though. That one feels overwhelmingly like, "What's the bloody point?"

I was talking to a buddy last week and we wound up on the DC movie universe... they really should do a few Flash movies before Flashpoint. Like, follow the CapAm template... a stand-alone film introducing the character followed by a sequel incorporating a few other characters followed by a Civil War style movie that has huge ramifications going forward. (That would obviously be Flashpoint for the third movie.)

You really cannot do a Civil War style of movie because there hasn't been a Civil War Style of story in DC Comics.

If the DCEU was smart, they could have set then entire universe up for 10+ years like the the MCU did. The DCEU could have had multiple origin movies but excluding Batman and Superman, but introcude Henry Cavill as Superman in a stand alone movie, but not an origin. Pay Bale a ton of money to reprise his role. The Do Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash etc. Then this all leads to a Justice league movie and a sequel. But each movie hints at a larger story, just like each marvel movie always pointed to Thanos and Infinity War. This larger story becomes the Crisis on Infinite Earths story. That would be huge. You can kill off characters, and reboot the entire universe with 2 movies.

The you could recast everyone as it would all be new, and start over.

But the DCEU screwed up...royally.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    You really cannot do a Civil War style of movie because there hasn't been a Civil War Style of story in DC Comics.

If the DCEU was smart, they could have set then entire universe up for 10+ years like the the MCU did. The DCEU could have had multiple origin movies but excluding Batman and Superman, but introcude Henry Cavill as Superman in a stand alone movie, but not an origin. Pay Bale a ton of money to reprise his role. The Do Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash etc. Then this all leads to a Justice league movie and a sequel. But each movie hints at a larger story, just like each marvel movie always pointed to Thanos and Infinity War. This larger story becomes the Crisis on Infinite Earths story. That would be huge. You can kill off characters, and reboot the entire universe with 2 movies.

The you could recast everyone as it would all be new, and start over.

But the DCEU screwed up...royally.

By Civil War style of movie, I meant where it’s technically a Flash movie, but it’s got all the other characters in it a la CapAm 3. In this instance, it would be Flashpoint.

Gotcha....

But Marvel always had an outline for what they wanted to do for a long term goal and plan. DC clearly did not.

Obviously. I think they weren’t prepared or expecting for just how huge the MCU would blow up. It’s been stated before, but when the MCU started, they were pulling what was considered B and C- list characters due to Spidey/F4/X-Men being with other studios. So when Avengers came out and made all the money in the world, DC was like “We’ve got access to our A-list characters, we can do the same thing Marvel did.” Only, they rushed to Justice League without taking the time to establish everything like Marvel did.

Well said.

Last night I rewatched Aquaman for the first time since I saw it in the theaters, and I have to repeat my inital assessment. I think the movie is really, really, good and can hold up to any Marvel Movie with the exceptions of Infinity War and Civil War and basically surpasses movies like Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor, Thor 2, Captain American: The First Avenger, both of the Hulks, Venom, Dr. Strange, GOTG 2, Captain Marvel and possibly Homecoming and Ragnarok.

Yes really. Most of the MCU is great, and I am not knocking those movies, but I believe that Aquaman, upon a second viewing, surpasses those I listed.

It has a great blend of an origin story, ties to the bigger universe, humor, action and drama, and comics accuracy. My only gripe is that this movie dwarfs all of the other DCEU movies, with one notable exception: The Warehouse scene in BvS.

I hope that the rest of the DCEU movies can hold up to Aquaman. Now that is a statement. The most lamest hero in the universe became the savior of the DCEU, and becomes a really cool hero in one movie. Well done.

I already have my tickets to Shazam, but I am waiting with very nervous anticipation as it looks to be too slapstick as the DCEU looks to be overcompensating for their failures with MoS and BvS. I will wait to pass judgement until after I see it, but I am not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-22-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Do you go see all comic movies in the theatre? If so, that’s the only reason I could understand going I see Shazam. That (like Venom most recently for me) is a “it’s Friday night, I’m bored what movies can I rent through Amazon to pass the time while I eat some takeout Chinese” kind of movie. And even then, it looks so bad that I’d want to be half drunk and go all MST3K on it.

Basically yes. I go because I like to watch movies in the theaters, and my daughters and I go together.

But my younger daughter is hooked on horror movies, and I can't wait to see US shortly.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I was a fan of the show Chuck so that's the only reason I'd be interested in seeing Shazam.