Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I donít watch Titans because Iím not interested in DC/WBís subscription service enough for that one show, and itís not 2008 so I donít download stuff through torrents anymore. If thereís any other way to watch, Iíd be interested.

My friend gets the torrents and shares them with me...sooo....I guess not.

Iíve been seeing some chatter around the Ďnet and YouTube about the Crisis crossover and how itís not only affecting the canon Arrowverse stuff, but itís pretty much drawing in everything from DC/WB over the past 30 years. Which, itís been confirmed that the 1990 Flash and Smallville stuff is being brought in, but now Iím seeing stuff about Titans, Black Lightning, Michael Keaton era Batman and so on and so forth.

Yeah I think I saw Burt Ward is even appearing.

Confimerd for Crisis:

Routh as Superman from Kingdom Come
    Some sort of Keaton cameo in a newspaper at least
    90s Flash
    I believe Tom Welling and Erica Durance (and possibly more) from Smallville
    Ashley Scott, Huntress, from Birds of Prey from 2002

Rumors/Highly Likely:

Burt Ward as Robin, will have a role, but nothing confirmed
    Linda Carter as Wonder Woman
    John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick from Flash
    David Ramsay who is John Diggle, may be a version of Green Lantern possibly even playing John Stewart
    Kevin Conroy (the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman in so many animated things) may be portraying and older Bruce Wayne, like a Batman Beyond, but no live action mixed with animation

Sorry for the double post, but did anyone watch Arrow last night?

The dove right into the Crisis and different Earths. No spoilers, but nice touch with the first episode with what they did. Wasn't great, but nice touch.

I absolutely loved it. There was a lot of good little throwbacks here and there that made me smile.

I know. Only thing was that she did not have a part, only a picture. You know who I mean.

Not even that, though. Oliverís ďI missed tequilaĒ line and... other things such as that. Ah... the hell with it...

SPOILER...

When Digg shows up to be his body guard, and Ollie has that huge smile on his face. Then in the car theyíre going through the whole ďWhat do I call you?Ē bit and Ollie tries to escape like in season 1, but the door is locked and he discovers itís actually his Diggle from Earth 1. I loved that part. The Adrian Chase stuff was good, too. Like when Ollie looks at him and says ďMaybe Iím 10 steps ahead of you.Ē Also, when he gives the quote that Bruce Wayne once told him while explaining how he figured out Ollie and Digg were from a parallel universe.

I know. All of it was great.

I can’t wait for next week. I want to see who will show up, and the Wayne line coupled with the Cowl on Lian Yu were awesome.

So Paul Dano just got cast as The Riddler in The Batman, and his name is Edward Nashton...ugh about the name.

And Jeffrey Wright, is commissioner Gordon...even more ugh....

Jeffery wright is a damn good actor. Think he will be a good Commissioner Gordon

I second that. I think Dano as the Riddler is great casting too.

However yeah... Edward Nashton? WTF?!

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I second that. I think Dano as the Riddler is great casting too.

However yeah... Edward Nashton? WTF?!
    My comment about Dano was the name? 80 years of being called Edward Nygma and now Nashton? WHY?????????

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Jeffery wright is a damn good actor. Think he will be a good Commissioner Gordon
    I do not care how good of an actors these guys are. Why change an iconic characters simply to change them. Do not get me wrong, I am all for casting minorities in roles, and changing or updating these roles, but casting Wright for Gordon is just not right (no pun intended). Also I am not happy with Zoe Kravitz as Selina Kye.

Look to the Asian community and the Japanese fans. They rightfully shit all over Scarlett Johansson being cast as the Major from Ghost in the Shell. Why not cast a Japanese actor? Imagine if a Hollywood Studio decided to make a new Green Lantern with John Stewart, but cast a white actor?

On Flash, Iris West-Allen is a black actress, and on Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen is a black actor, and no one cares because they are secondary characters, but still have major roles on the show. If you want to use Clayface, Black Mask, Man Bat, Victor Zsasz, Poison Ivy, or even Victor Fries, as a villain, cast a Black Actor, and it will not change much. Hell, in 1989, they cast Billy D. Williams as Harvey Dent. But the icons of Batman are Wayne, Grayson, Kyle, Drake, Damien, Barbara Gordon, and Joker. Their race should be left alone.

It just seems like Hollywood is trying to not be racist, but it ends up being racist. "Look, see, we changed these roles and gave them to minorities". That is just affirmative action all over again.

I am sure that the actors will be good, and they will do their parts justice, just I am more of a comics purist, just look to my review of the Joker for conformation.

BUUUUT, my main concern about The Batman is Pattinson. No matter what, I cannot remove the idea of him as a sparkling vampire from my brain. I am more concerned with his casting ten I was over Affleck's. And Affleck was good.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    But the icons of Batman are Wayne, Grayson, Kyle, Drake, Damien, Barbara Gordon, and Joker. Their race should be left alone.
    So no problem with James Gordon then.

Typo, when I typed Barbara Gordon, and flew over Jim because I already commented on him.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM.

Mmm Ok... well I don't agree for a myriad of reasons, but I can't be arsed right now to have a discussion about it.

I’d love to see a black Bruce Wayne down the line just to see the reactions.

I’m excited to see Jeffrey Wright take the role of Jim Gordon. Great actor and should be great in the film.

Paul Dano as the Riddler is great casting too. Quirky actor.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I’d love to see a black Bruce Wayne down the line just to see the reactions. .
    That’s it. I quit.

Not gonna go back and forth with Powder on this but Jim Gordon doesn’t have to be white. Race isn't a a character trait that can be appiled unless its made one for the story. The black panther has to be Black for example to use marvel but ironman doesn’t have to be white.

Same here, and movies and tv media are an interpretation its not direct adaptation from source material of the 1940s. Commissioner Gordon is white simply because it wasn’t realistic to have a black commissioner at the time

I'm not trying to cause race wars here, not my point. My point is that main iconic characters are established, so leave them alone. Change secondary characters.

There has been a 100% correct criticism of Hollywood's "White Washing" of minorities over the years, again bringing up the example of Ghost in the Shell, but that doesn't mean to counter that, change character's race for the sake of it.

Will Smith as Deadshot was good. Deadshot is NOT iconic.

But to bring up a point about race in comics. Todd McFarlane, has told the story about how Marvel prevented an awesome race story in a Spiderman comic, when he wrote Spiderman, which is one of the reasons he left Marvel. What McFarlane wanted to do was have Spidey catch some sort of bad guy, I think it was a thief, who was black. And the thief says to Spiderman "You are only coming after me because I am black". So Spidey responds "What color do you think I am under this mask?" The story was too edgy for Marvel back in the late 80s/early 90s, but that comment right there and the comic that was not made would have spoken volumes about race. Because while we, the readers know that Spiderman is a young, white male, the criminals in the Marvel Universe do not.

Let's say that the Spawn reboot casts a white guy to play Al Simmons, there would be uproar. But because we are changing other characters to minorities it is ok? Yes, because it is someone's interpretation. That is a cop out.

Let me make this as clear as possible, I could give 2 shits about race, but I care about true representations about iconic characters.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

I have to agree with Powder to an extent. I think there are ways to change a characters race without controversy. No one said anything when Will Smith played Deadshot, because the average fans asked two questions, "who is Deadshot," and "who are the Suicide Squad?"

I think in many cases, if the casting makes sense, then it's easier to change the character. Like Bruce Wayne, he's the ultimate symbol of privilege and wealth. That's very hard to cast a black person to play that role, because Wayne by definition can really only be white. He's from old money, and old money in the US is white. The same for Tony Stark, and most other rich characters in comics that aren't the king of an African nation. Superman, there is a scientific reason why he has to be white... LMAO... I know, it sounds odd. There was an article that mentioned that if he was black, it would increase his sun absorbing abilities. While, Superman is from Krypton, which has a Red Sun. Red suns are weaker than our yellow sun, therefore Superman would have lighter skin like those that come from colder climates. Peter Parker is too iconic to change, which is why you had to create Miles Morales to get an Afro-Latino Spider-Man. Or course when the cast a (half) Pacific Islander as Aquaman, many actually looked at it and said, "of course." LMAO.

But, in some cases, the casting change makes sense. Changing Nick Fury to black made sense because they casted Samuel L. Jackson, who has such a force behind his voice and presence that you couldn't see Nick Fury being anybody else. Same with Heimdall being Idris Elba, an actor so talented people would even believe in him being James Bond. These cases are rare, but they work.
    Last edited by LWO4Life; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:00 PM.

I think most you could change and it would work. Most heroes aren't the product of their time nor would it erase those stories if you changed a character's race imo.

But whatever, I honestly don't give a shit what color some superhero is, just give me a good movie. Most movie goers aren't hardcore comic lovers that hold studios to a race standard. If the movie is good, people will go see it and praise it as such.

Also, they didn't make Miles Morales black because they couldn't with Peter. They did it because of Barack Obama and it was made in an alternate universe after Peter had died.

Well then, with all of the other universes out there, and with DCs tv show constantly using the mutliverse and now with COIE, there is so much room for alternate takes on iconic characters.

Then just say that like Marvel did with Miles Morales. All DC has to do is say that a Black Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent is from Earth (whatever). Simple. But do not change characters and imply that they are from the same universe.

This past weeks Flash had Barry interact with his mother from another Earth, and it was heartbreaking, yet she had no idea why he was looking at her the way he was. Simple yet elegant solution.

Well when you're doing movies and other media, I just assume they're not in the comic universe anyway. Marvel doesn't take Avengers storylines from the movies and make in universe comics.. They make MCU comic tie ins. They've released Spider-man video game comics..

DC has done that with the Batman tv series.

I get being tied to the comic history but this Batman movie I don't think is going tie to any major Batman comic story even.

did anyone watch the Watchmen last night on HBO? Really good.

It is NOT a retelling of the book, nor a remake of the movie. It is set 35 years after the events of the book, in 2019, but in the same world. it was really well done, and I will not go into details to not ruin it for anyone.

I've heard good things about Joker and it sounds like my kind of movie. Might download it if I remember.

Has anyone been watching the Arrowverse lately?

Batwoman is still getting its feet under it, and so far it is ok to good.

Arrow is only 10 episodes and moving along nicely.

But Flash is taxing. It has been this way for a few seasons, where nothing happens. It is slowly becoming the Walking Dead, where you get a great episode followed by filler for 3-4 episodes, then more filler, and then the midseason finale, etc.

Also, why is Felicity NOT in season 7?
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:10 AM.

This is probably the best succinct reason why the Joker movie was so terrible because it was no where at all who the Joker is.

Just like his eternal enemy, Batman, the Joker isnít supposed to have any superpowers. Heís just a regular guy in clown makeup - or a regular guy who fell in some skin-bleaching chemicals, depending on the continuity one is following. Jokerís real power is the unpredictability of his insanity.

The Joker is so unpredictable because he possesses something known as ďsuper-sanityĒ - or at least, that was the case in an earlier DC Comics canon. This means he more or less reinvents his personality each and every day, which explains the character's wide range of depictions over the decades.

The Joker of the rebooted New 52 continuity has further abilities; heís practically immortal thanks to a substance known as Dionesium, which is why heís been able to survive so many life-ending scenarios.

How is he not what that first paragraph says Joker is? The second paragraph we don’t know the answer to since the movie is an origin and doesn’t get into his crime dealings. That said, I can completely buy this version becoming that. The third paragraph who cares.

I’d love to see this version again on the big screen because of the unpredictability.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 1 Week Ago at 06:29 PM.