Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey

They aren't about to turn Rousey heel but they need to be very, very careful about who they put her against. Next one against Nia should be a gimmie for getting some cheers given Nia is now the most hated heel on the roster but anything against Becky, Charlotte and I'd even worry about Banks, Bayley or Ember Moon could be a powder keg waiting to go off.

It was a great night for Charlotte who had been losing momentum lately. I’m glad they didn’t have a clean finish because there’s a lot more mileage that could be gained from their matchups. She definitely got her edge back.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 11-20-2018 at 03:56 PM.

The WWE is trying hard to gain sympathy for Rosuey, but it just isn't working.

They'd do a better job if she sold the beating from last night better. She shouldn't even be able to speak after getting her trachea crushed by that chair last night. Sure, Charlotte didn't jump off the top rope and do it, but still. Maybe they should have had Nia do that beat down instead....

Nia probably would have botched it and killed her.

No one else saw the main page report of FOX wanting Rousey on Smackdown once it moves to that network? The idea is that Fox wants Smackdown to be more wrestling and less Sports Entertainment (YEAH!) and they want Rousey.

This could really shake things up, and make RAW change formats as well if this leads to Smackdown being better once again.

Smackdown is already the better show. Ronda moving to Fox makes business sense. Raw is going to have to take a secondary position to Smackdown and Fox next year... at least until Smackdown bombs on Fox and is moved to FS1

I'm on board if they want to go in a sports orientated direction and make Rousey central to that. Might have to get back involved in the main roster if that stays as the plan.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think everyone saw that coming a mile away.

Quite interesting thing I saw recently about Rousey being called 'the savior of Monday Night RAW' for the past several months.

I don't think that's going to be how people feel here, and that was going out in India, rather than one of the traditional markets, but it's interesting to think about how that might be how people see it - especially if they're of a more casual fan, looking for stars persuasion.

Ronda is also lined up to do voice acting for a video game, I hear?

In the absence of anything else for anyone to give a damn about, I suppose.

She’s done absolutely nothing to improve business but she’s been fine as a performer; better than expected.

Very few people actually do improve business, in that way. Trends are usually a bit harder to read than being attached to individual wrestlers, at least since the WWE model changed the game. The Steve Austin's of the world, where it's clear and incontrovertible, are few and far between.

Given some of the low ratings of the last year it is interesting to wonder what the floor could have been for those TV ratings if you take any of the few popular or interesting parts of the show away.

I agree with you but plenty here thought she would bring in big business and ratings. It was just not realistic.

Anyone feel that Bazler or her goons will interfere in the Rousey/Sasha match to set up a feud between Rouset/Bazler/Marina/The other one and Sasha/Bayley/Becky/Charlotte for Mania?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Anyone feel that Bazler or her goons will interfere in the Rousey/Sasha match to set up a feud between Rouset/Bazler/Marina/The other one and Sasha/Bayley/Becky/Charlotte for Mania?
    I've been saying that's on the cards for months! It seems that, at the very least, they're teasing it very openly and given a third member of the NXT women a beef with Rousey. Now they just need a bit of Bad Bayley and they're away.

There are only 2 matches right now that I want to see from Rousey.

1. A Horsewomen vs Horsewomen at Mania

OR

2. Rousey vs Becky 1 on 1.

Other than that, I really do not care what Rousey is doing. Seriously. While I give her credit for picking up Pro Wrestling so quickly, but she is being kind of booked like Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns and that is turning me off to her. She debuted with the company and as a wrestler, and within 6 months, she wins the title? Come on.

Once she debuted she should have been wrestling every week on RAW first through some jobbers to get her feet wet (like they did with Nia) then moving up to established vets and current fodder like Alicia Fox, Mickie James, Liv Morgan, Dana Brooke etc. This would allow her to grow as a performer as well as get valuable experience. Then she should have moved into an extended program with Nattie. Nattie is a true professional, who is close with Rousey and she could have wrestled all over the country on house shows where Rousey could have gotten a lesson every night from Nattie. I know that Anvil passing away put a kibosh on that, but they still could have run the program. The show must go on.

But instead we get Rousey pushed into the main event a few months after debuting. We all criticized the WWE and Roman Reigns for the same treatment for years, but we applaud the WWE for Rousey? To quote Daniel Bryan...we are fickle.

I like Rousey, but she is NOT Kurt Angle. Angle was a prodigy and deserved all his first year accomplishments, but Rousey, while good, and is improving every day, is still very green, and I am tired of the gimmick already. What else can you do with her now that she has faced Charlotte, and will face Sasha and eventually Becky?

The WWE, not surprisingly has booked themselves into a corner by pushing her to fast.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-22-2019 at 09:08 AM.

They kind of booked themselves into a corner by having Ronda join the roster in the first place, to be honest - she's such a big name and so recognisable (not to mention expensive) that if they did little with her for a few months but feed her utter jobsworths it would seem like a waste and people would be here asking why they weren't doing anything with her.

Not to mention, this is the women's division - it's completely midcardless, to its own detriment, and as a result they can't do what they did with, say, Angle where they built him up through the ranks, realising on their way there that he was an incredible natural talent. They even did that with Roman, via The Shield and the tag titles, and that's something people seem to forget. Sure, he wound up getting a huge overpush with the Rumble win and Mania main events, but there was no doubt that they let him catch on first before committing to that.

But what can they do with Ronda? Other than giving her something non-title to do - and as discussed, they barely have any midcard stories going on in the women's division - there's basically nothing with any interest to do with her. Better to give her the title and let her run with it, in my opinion. And that's from someone who was against the idea of Rousey being pushed over the rest of the division in the first place.

It reminds me of what Cornette said about bringing in Batista, that he had to be main event. He doesn't work in the mid card. what works for one, doesn't always work for the other. Rousey being anywhere other than the top of the card is pointless. She's a star, sometimes you just have to run with that. You really need to watch her wreck Alicia Fox and Dana Brook for months before she gets a title shot? Nuts to that. It wouldn't tell you anything you don't already know about her. For me, she brings that big fight feel, which is something that the womens division (on Raw at least) was lacking.

I'm fine with her running through matches, I don't get the feeling she'll be there that long, might as well get all the marquee you can out of it.

I agree with you, all of it. But again the WWE books themselves into a corner. They could have debuted the tag titles before giving Rousey the RAW WC, and let her and Nattie win those belts, and do the classic partners turn on each other feud, allowing for that feud to work. Also that would allow Rousey to get wrestling no experience by putting her into tag matches to hid her flaws, and on house shows allow her to wrestle more and more to be that experience.

Then push her into the main event.

Oh man, I am so sick of this idea that's come along since super indies became a thing and you could watch your favourite wrestlers from pretty much day one, that if you haven't been toiling away on the indies for a decade you're not a "real" wrestler and aren't deserving of holding a title.

Pro wrestling is a business in which the biggest, highest drawing, star gets the belt. At this point, that's Ronda Rousey in the Raw Women's Division. When they brought her in they thought that they had a year. They could have spent the first three months having her work squashes, feud her with Natalya, really "build her up" and put the belt on her with a few months left in her deal. But the reason you "build someone up" is to make the fans want to see them get that title or give them the credibility necessary. Rousey walked in the door with both of those.

Ronda isn't perfect in the ring, but she's the closest thing to Kurt Angle that I've seen since Charlotte came around. She's picked up pro wrestling so quickly that it's amazing. She hasn't had one bad match since coming in. She's proven that she is taking this seriously, and now it looks like she'll stick around longer than her year.

It's not an indie thing, or anything of the like. To me its pushing aside deserving people who put in the time and effort to becoming a pro wrestler for the new flavor of the month. Women like, Sasha Banks, a correctly booked Bayley, Ember Moon, Ruby Riott, hell even Mandy Rose, or Sonya Deville.

Those women all spent a few years learning the craft. While I originally stated that Rousey was picking up the business very quickly, that does not mean that the other women should be discarded for Rousey being a bigger name.

If the WWE's goal is to have Rousey sell tickets, then treat her more like Lesnar when he came back in 2012. A special attraction. Lesnar did not get the belt again until 2 years after he returned to the company. Rousey could have been the same. Have her be the special attraction match/feud for Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, Bayley, Nattie etc. Then you could have pushed her to the title. If you only expecting a year with her, the do not rush her to the title, make her matches like Lesnar's during 2012-2014 where each match felt bigger than the title. The Cena match at extreme rules, then the Undertaker Feud.

Rousey does not need the title.

if I was booking her, I would have done what I said earlier, and now that she decided to stay longer than a year, I would have then put her into a chasing the title at Wrestlemania feud, and not the other way around.

I think the point he's making is that when you've actually got to be in the wrestling business, and you've actually got to do business, no one really pays attention to who 'deserves' it. It's a luxury that fans are allowed when they want to complain but that you can't really entertain when it's your own money. Rousey is an asset, an expensive one, and their whole focus is how to get the most out of that asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Rousey is an asset, an expensive one, and their whole focus is how to get the most out of that asset.
    I think this is the key thing when it comes to Rousey - WWE have invested a ton of cash in her, too much to have her toil away to 'earn her dues' or whatever.

To be honest, I get the point you're making Powder and was completely not in favour of her just rocketing to the top originally because it didn't seem right or similar. But realistically now what else is there they can do with her? With no midcard to speak of, and certainly not one that would get her the focus WWE certainly want her feuds to have or to keep anybody that starts watching because Rousey's there - I imagine she's popping some demographics a bit, at least initially - there's little choice but to have her challenging for the title.

Am I right that losing the tag match on Monday (via Natalya tapping out) is her first technical defeat in WWE?

Oh, I understand the point too. I've heard people talk in those kind of terms for a long time, about who deserves it and the like. It's just not especially realistic, not least because who there's about a dozen people who 'deserve' it at any given time, and you can't give everyone who makes it to the WWE everything that they deserve without ruining your product in a million little ways. Quite simply when you're not fantasy booking on the internet you can't afford to think like that, unless you're in one of those weird positions where there's no obvious star to turn to - in which case you've just got to make the best of it. From a business sense the whole point of taking time to build people up is to develop their credibility and familiarity, but as has been said, Ronda comes with all that preloaded. There's literally no point treating her like every one else other than for it's own sake.

But yeah, as far as I know that's her first loss in any format in WWE.

They could have her tag with Nattie after she loses the title and go for the tag titles. Then they could run long term booking with the eventual split with Nattie turning heel. Other than that, the WWE have no where to go with Rousey.

I'm guessing that the plan through Mania is:

• Ronda retains against Sasha but that sets up the Horsewoman vs Horsewoman angle for Mania.
    • After Mania we get singles feuds with the Horsewomen and the Horsewomen, but we save Becky vs Ronda for SummerSlam

Personally, I couldn't care less who deserves it (a difficult to determine idea anyway)> I'm interested in whats entertaining, and I think Rousey has been used pretty well in that regard. Her matches definitely have a different energy, and it's specifically because she went straight to the top. There's a reason that Becky vs Rousey is everyones big match wish, because Ronda is the legitimate top star, so we want to see someone topple her. Anyone working with her is elevated, the issue WWE has is how the use the women outside of title feuds.

I don't see it as the fans want to see Becky topple Rousey, I see it as the fans prefer Becky over Rousey, and they want Becky to win more than Rousey to lose.

Seems to be breaking reports that she might be finishing up with WWE, at least in anything resembling a full time role, after WrestleMania.

I just also saw a report indicating that Rousey wants to start a family and WM is supposedly her last appearance. If so, then the WWE has to have Becky face Rousey one on one at Mania. We already had Charlotte vs Rousey and the only match left for Rousey is Becky, and Becky needs to go over.

Anything else, will be a let down.

More than that, if she's going you've got an heir apparent left and no obvious competition for the role. You've almost got to run it 1 on 1, and have a clear decisive win for the person who's sticking around.

Completely agree.

Which means that Becky should lose on Sunday and then enter the Rumble and win that.

Well, that was a complete waste if Ronda only wrestled for a year.

From the main page:

If Rousey does leave, she would likely work a Triple Threat at WrestleMania with Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair, not just the singles match with Becky. It was noted that a singles match could be possible for down the line as Rousey would likely remain affiliated with WWE in some fashion. It’s possible for her to have a part-time role like The Undertaker, John Cena and others, where she comes back for certain events or matches.
    BOOOOOOOOO.

Meltzer does leave some wiggle room that she will continue on and, even if she does leave after Mania, I expect it'll be less of a full time departure and more her just adopting the Brock schedule (she did sign a multi-year deal after all). So I wouldn't say she's gone for good as of yet. Either way it's a decent sized blow, especially if she's leaving for good. It doesn't get brought up a lot but she was the biggest reason WWE made out so well with their TV deals last year, especially the Fox one. Her finishing up full time or entirely before they get on there would not be ideal.

If Ronda wants to start that family, then she will be off TV for over a year. Let's say she makes it to Backlash. That is May 2019. Then (for the sake of argument) she gets pregnant in June. 9 months for the pregnancy, then at least 8 months to lose the baby weight and get back into ring shape as she was still a rookie and learning, and she would have to re-learn everything. So the next match we could see Rousey in would be at minimum Survivor Series 2020.

That 8 months seems like a real random number to pull from nowhere, much safer to say something like not before Summerslam 2020.

Not ideal timing for this really is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Meltzer does leave some wiggle room that she will continue on and, even if she does leave after Mania, I expect it'll be less of a full time departure and more her just adopting the Brock schedule (she did sign a multi-year deal after all). So I wouldn't say she's gone for good as of yet. Either way it's a decent sized blow, especially if she's leaving for good. It doesn't get brought up a lot but she was the biggest reason WWE made out so well with their TV deals last year, especially the Fox one. Her finishing up full time or entirely before they get on there would not be ideal.
    This is the bigger news that seems to be getting missed in the wake of just the idea that Ronda could be leaving. What do you do to make Fox happy? Throw a boatload of money at Brock and move him to SmackDown? Try and sign another big name outsider? Who even is that person?

Building guys is great and I'm all for it, but they are going to need a star for SmackDown who is a star right now. What's the solution there if Ronda is gone and Brock walks? That makes things really dicey with Fox since they aren't even on TV there yet.

I was originally saying 6 months, which would be ok-ish for a seasoned veteran who had been wrestling for at least 2 years on the main roster, with years in developmental and/or indies or other promotions. But with Rousey just now shaking off the green after about 8 months on the main roster, it would take her longer to shake off the ring rust and the greenness.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    This is the bigger news that seems to be getting missed in the wake of just the idea that Ronda could be leaving. What do you do to make Fox happy? Throw a boatload of money at Brock and move him to SmackDown? Try and sign another big name outsider? Who even is that person?

Building guys is great and I'm all for it, but they are going to need a star for SmackDown who is a star right now. What's the solution there if Ronda is gone and Brock walks? That makes things really dicey with Fox since they aren't even on TV there yet.
    You beg Cena to work.

I honestly can't see Brock being a big mover at this stage. Especially since he's not working tv every week. Ronda is pretty much doing that.

And there's no other big names out there except for Punk and his return is VERY unlikely.

The more reports I read on this, it sounds not definite that Ronda is leaving and if she did, it would only be a break for awhile.