Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey

So, since her in ring debut at WrestleMania Rousey has mostly been turning up as a sort of enforcer/friend for Natalya.

Now suddenly she has a title match at Money in the Bank against Nia with them only really having had one interaction on TV.

Too early? Or a means to a different end?

Too early. Not saying I expected them to wait long to do this.. but if she had gotten wins against other girls in singles matches, it would at least show the appearence of Ronda earning it. Instead, she gets a title shot she hasn't earned.. even if she doesn't win... (some have thrown out the idea that Nattie screws her over..) the perception will be that she got special treatment. I don't understand why you'd do that given the authority hates Ronda and also you're annoying the fans who were behind Ronda.....

I would have waited until Summerslam

Too early but I'm guessing it's to help sell tickets. But maybe it'll also make sense storyline wise.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

I shouldn't be stunned they did this given how bizarre WWE's booking has been recently but I was. It feels like they're booked into a corner because it's so soon. If Ronda loses, regardless of whether it's clean or not, you're turning her into just another woman on the roster instead of keeping her as someone who is special (which she currently is). If she wins the WWE is immediately signaling that Rousey, who hasn't even had a singles match yet, is far more important than any other woman on the roster, while also creating a similar scenario to Brock Lesnar's situation which has actively alienated fans against him. And that's before even getting into the fact that this a match between someone wrestling their first ever singles match and a performer in Nia Jax who, from what I've seen, is one of the worst workers WWE has. I have no idea how they thought this was a good idea. Maybe there's a way out of it, but I fear whatever way they decide they're going to end up either diminishing Rousey's status or turning her into the female Roman Reigns. For her sake I hope they know what they're doing.

My issue s that they already went against one of her Babyface promises. Not wanting special treatment. As if the build to WM didn't happen and we should forget it...

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

What are the odds of an injury occurring?

@Sir_Samuel

Unless are they turning Nia? In the match against Bliss from 2 weeks ago, Jax was wrestling as a heel.

The Brain
    I don't get this idea that Ronda hasn't "earned" a shot at the title. She's legitimately one of the most dangerous women in the world, and she beat the shit out of Triple H at Wrestlemania. Does she really need to rack up wins against Alicia Fox to show she's worthy of a title shot? Pretty sure by "special treatment" she meant she didn't want the Brock deal, where she could sit at home most days and only come out to fight when she felt like it.

That said, it does feel weirdly early for a title shot. I guess I can see some scenarios, though none of them seem ideal...

Rousey Loses - This would probably be a stupid decision but they could conceivably run a story where Ronda went after the title too early and has to work her way back up. She could also lose due to some kind of shenanigans, possibly from Stephanie or getting betrayed or something.

Non Finish - Could easily have some kind of Dusty finish here. Protects Rousey more than a loss but she doesn't have the pressure of being champ. Not very satisfying but possible.

Rousey Wins - Who knows, maybe they think she can learn fast enough to already be champion? She did look good at 'Mania, but it seems like a stretch. Would possibly create a short term buzz of interest too but might not be a good move long term, as it's a big moment to blow already.

Rousey Wins, but the new MITB winner cashes in - It'd certainly set up a good feud for Rousey if she won the title fair and square but someone stole it from her with shady tactics.

Honestly not sure where they're going, between those options.

They are some good suggestions there Mizie, especially with using the MITB winner to set up a feud for her.

I'm with you though in that it feels oddly early, I can't even remember her figuring much in the last RAW or Backalash so it feels like she has suddenly come out of no where to get the shot to me.

@Sir_Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Rousey Wins, but the new MITB winner cashes in - It'd certainly set up a good feud for Rousey if she won the title fair and square but someone stole it from her with shady tactics.
    I could even see a repeat of the Wrestlemania 31 finish with a mid-match cash in.

The Brain
    WOW, imagine if Rousey kills Nia but Alexa has the MITB case and runs in, gets Rousey out of the way somehow, then pins Nia? Huge heat, Rousey doesn't have to eat a pin, and you can have Rousey chase Alexa to Summerslam or some other big show for her real title win, with way more build and hype behind it.

I actually love that idea now that we've come up with it.

This is so premature and such a total mistake and squandering of a slow-long build, that I don't even know what to say. She's already agreed to a multi-year semi-full time deal, so what's the rush? It's such a total WWE move to rush through this.

Been a lot of mainstream exposure for Rousey in the last few days because of the UFC HoF induction. Wonder if the WWE will try and use that.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    They were probably planning on putting the title on her anyway, and now it seems more likely than ever, for better or for worse. I think it may work out well anyway, even if it's sooner than what would seem to make the best sense.

Well talk about blowing away the doubters! I'd say she helped Nia have her best match ever in the WWE. Her body language and emoting in the ring are totally on point and she seems to have slid into the physical aspects of wrestling very easily.

Now she has a feud with Bliss on the boil and I'm starting to wonder if they put the belt on her as soon as Summer Slam?

@Sir_Samuel

I'm fine with putting the title on her.. if she's gonna be there almost every PPV and have good, unique matches i'm all for a Ronda run. I was anyway given her genuine star power but it seems she's really taken to it.

If the WWE puts the title on Rousey, then do you turn Charlotte heel to face her at Mania?

I would think you have to do it the other way around. Have Charlotte turn heel first, win the title, Rousey wins the Women's Rumble and have her face Charlotte at Mania.

The rumor/plan is for Rousey/Charlotte to close Mania, so then you need to have the feel, good go home happy, Mania Moment with Rousey being crowned champion.

For me, she's already a more entertaining, realistic in-ring performer than most of the other women. What she's done so far has been really good.

I'd do Charlotte Vs Rousey face Vs face.

I think it's properly shit that someone who is still only proving to really be part-time is being pencilled in to headline Mania a year ahead of time in a match that is really seriously historical for the women's division in WWE. I mean, they've just written Rousey off TV for what purpose? Is she filming? Getting more training? Or just sat at home?

If Rousey starts showing up full time, I'll be much more OK with it. But I'm not seeing her enough right now to believe she warrants that position on the card based on her WWE history.

Shane to think that if WWE had played their cards right they could have very, very easily headlined a Mania with one of the women that actually made the division worth a shot rather than a parachuted in 'star'. The failure to commit to long term storytelling with the Horsewomen has hurt them so much, and now they're going to burn Bayley Vs Sasha out too.

She is filming and she has also been on tour and at almost every PPV so its not like she's working Brock's schedule. I'm assuming she's going to be working pretty regularly all the way up to and thru Mania.

Only upcoming movie that Rousey is in is called Mile 22 with Mark Wahlberg, and that is in post production, so maybe she had some re-shoots or voice over work to do.

However, I see Rousey coming full time when the suspension is over, and I also hope to see her work an extended program with Nattie to tour the house show circuit and PPVs with such an experienced performer.

A Nattie feud where, Nattie turns on Rousey and costs her the Title or Title shot keeps Rousey away from the Title for a(n appropriate) while, and gives Rousey the practice and opponent to make her look good.

Easy way to do this: Have Bliss escape Nia and retain at Extreme Rules through some sort of shenanigans, and Rousey then jumps the barrier and attacks Bliss for retribution. Then at SummerSlam we get a triple threat match between Bliss, Jax and Rousey, but Nattie causes Rousey to lose, via run in or something like that.

Nattie is on RAW the next night explaining that she did what she did b/c she was passed over for her "friend" Rousey...etc., same story, tried and true, wrestling wise.

Simple and effective.

Thing is no one wants to see Nattie except for Vince

I get that, but she is the best female worker on the roster, AND she already is Rousey's training partner, AND it is a perfect scenario for Rousey to get the experience she needs.

A 2-3 month, 2-3 PPV feud, where they wrestle each other 70 times out of 90 days, you couldn't ask for a better situation for a green Rousey.

She's not the best worker on the roster and no one gives a shit about her. Ronda is already having damn good matches with Nia which tells me she can work with pretty much anyone and have a good match. A Nattie feud is one match and you're done anyway. They should be getting the most use out of Ronda they can. That means working with talent you plan to push or already on top.

I wouldn't even say Nattie is top 5 at this point however she is a veteran hand and a series with Rousey would make sense because even if people don't care about her they do care about Rousey. There is a story there to tell.

@Sir_Samuel

I'm not saying don't do a match, but i feel like just with Brock, you're wasting Ronda if you give her the wrong opponent for too long.. especially if you're not sure how long she's sticking around. I want Ronda to have matches with everyone that's supposed to matter.

I've lost track of the number of people in wrestling over the years who have said she's either the best or damn close to it. I have a hard time believing they're all so far wrong.

I also remember Meltzer having a theory that a reason no one cared about her in a heel role was because a lot of the people who who actually get invested in women's stuff just don't want to hate on her after seeing so much of her story on total divas, and finding it more relatable than most. I don't watch the show so have no idea but it is consistent with the praise she has had from some big names.

Anyway, back to Rousey. Hearing mostly good things, like she has taken to it 'like a duck to water'.

People hate on Nattie b/c she does not have the personality or charisma to be THE woman of the WWE. BUT She is a former Divas and Smackdown champion, a graduate of the Hart Dungeon, trained with and married Tyson Kidd, and a member of the Hat family.

If Nattie was more charismatic and was able to connect with the audience better, no one would find fault with her. Nattie is the same as Bayley, and great technical wrestler who cannot connect with the audience. Both are the opposite of Carmella. Carmella can't wrestle, but she can connect with the people, even though I can't stand her.

I do not hate Nattie, for a good while she absolutely was the best worker in the company but with the likes of Charlotte, Asuka, Becky, Shasha, Bayley, and even Ruby Riot and Ember Moon plying their trade and plying it well, she no longer has a lock on that title. She is right up there on her night but is no longer the stand out.

As I said, I actually like the idea of a match between her and Rousey if it comes about and especially if they want to find a way to keep the championship off her as someone above suggested.

@Sir_Samuel

Mattie is just dull. That’s the best way to describe her. Mediocre in ring talent, middling mic skills, horrible wrestling gear and zero charisma. The cat thing, if that’s a gimmick, is not helping either. Everybody sees the Nattie turn coming eventually so hopefully they get it over with sooner than later so we all can move on.

The Brain
    The idea that Natalya is the best female worker on the roster is pretty damn farfetched to me. Maybe in 2012? I like her and I think opinion has turned too harshly against her in some circles, but calling her the best is way too much for me.

Really have enjoyed everything I've seen from Ronda though.

I double checked them and they're all more recent than that, from 2014 through to very recent.

I mean, I actually think it's Asuka, but I just feel like it needs saying when people say she is mediocre and no one wants to see her. That's too harsh and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary if people are willing to see it.

And yes, back on topic, I agree with you on the early assessment about Rousey!

Sometimes I think it's time for me to move on from LoP, and people saying that Nattie is mediocre reinforces that feeling.

Perhaps it's time for me to turn in my IWC card and just become a cranky vet.

Maybe not yet.

I mean, if you have a dissenting opinion that doesn't mean its wrong, but people aren't going to just let it slide and not argue the counter point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Sometimes I think it's time for me to move on from LoP, and people saying that Nattie is mediocre reinforces that feeling.

Perhaps it's time for me to turn in my IWC card and just become a cranky vet.

Maybe not yet.
    This. Where is all this Nattie hatred coming from? She is a solidly good wrestler who has not been given the best booking for most of her run.

Maybe people just don't like Nattie as a worker? Is it such a shock that even in in this small community, that there's a few that don't bow down to people saying so and so is a good worker. Again, its not a popular opinion, doesn't make it wrong though.

Man, wrestling was better when fan reaction wasn't couched in industry terms.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Maybe people just don't like Nattie as a worker? Is it such a shock that even in in this small community, that there's a few that don't bow down to people saying so and so is a good worker. Again, its not a popular opinion, doesn't make it wrong though.
    No, objectively it is incorrect. She's an excellent worker.

You might not have a taste for her, but she is an absolutely incredible worker.

It's like when people say that Finn Balor isn't a good worker because they aren't into him or his matches. That, as well, is objectively false.

It seems like "bad worker" has become an IWC synonym in recent years for "someone I'm not personally a fan of."

Hit the nail on the head, there.

Except it's not false. She is a bad worker. What great matches has she had? She's been in the WWE for 11 years and done nothing memorable. I don't need to wrestle in front of empty gymnasiums to be qualified to tell if someone is good or not.

Just like Roman Reigns, he's fucking awful. Yeah, he's good at doing Superman punches, that doesn't make you a good wrestler.