Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey

It's not objectively false...In wrestling nothing is Objective. This kinda of attitude makes me want to leave the board lol. You got people who I respect (I like ya coach) But that think they know what a good wrestler is and they have to go around telling people who a good wrestler is as if their opinion matters more. You can think someone is a great wrestler and I can think they're bad.. Does Nattie fit my taste as a wrestler? No... but its also because I feel like she's regressed over the years and hasn't done anything in ring that I would consider a compelling, good match..... in i don't know, a long time. For example, everyone touts those Charlotte/Nattie matches? I think they are pretty bad save like one....

But since I can't possibly have this opinion that Nattie is a bad wrestler, I'll stop talking about her and not be a hypocrite when I would tell Powder off about Del Rio lol.

Anyway, Ronda is great.

Ronda's performance has been great. She's doing much better than I thought and I'm happy to be wrong about that.

I thought it would take more time for Ronda to get the subtle work someone has to do and also be willing to take bumps... She's not afraid of putting her body on the line. She could have came in and said i'm not doing much, just have me dominate.... but that's not what has happened.

She isn't afraid to go full speed which is refreshing. When Dana Brooke got called up it was so noticeable how she'd slow down to brace for blows, or not go full tilt sprint at someone. Just very cautious.

Was just reading on the main page and former wwe guy MVP said that he doesn't like intergender wrestling and intimated that Rhonda Rousey being able to beat someone like him up was a bit of a joke.

I don't know if he has any actual martial arts training but he is utterly deluded if he thinks that. I would actually love to see that fight now having heard what he thinks. If she so chose Rousey could sit him down and choke him out with his own arm.
    Last edited by SirSam; 07-08-2018 at 10:40 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

Nattie (and Balor) are both the same for me - good wrestlers who don't seem to have the character side of things down to a good enough degree to be great wrestlers.

But that's the thing for me - I'm much more into characters and characterisation than I actually am into wrestling quality. NXT Bayley, for example, I could recognise wasn't the best wrestler in the room but she had that character down to a tee and it invested me so, so much that I didn't care about her wrestling skills.

Nattie's had good matches, but she's never made me care.

The Brain
    Glad to hear MVP is still full of his own shit.

I think Ronda has actually been pretty good about injecting some character into her matches. Not sure about her promos, but there's something there at least. She sure doesn't wrestle like just anyone, and I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Was just reading on the main page and former wwe guy MVP said that he doesn't like intergender wrestling and intimated that Rhonda Rousey being able to beat someone like him up was a bit of a joke.

I don't know if he has any actual martial arts training but he is utterly deluded if he thinks that. I would actually love to see that fight now having heard what he thinks. If she so chose Rousey could sit him down and choke him out with his own arm.
    He was talking in extremes to make his point, and I 1000% agree with his point on intergender wrestling. I love my girlfriend, and she's a tough chick, but as Joe Rogan says, I could fuck her up if I had the flu. It's just not believable.

When it comes to the idea of MVP winning in a fight between the two...I don't know he'd have a shot. MVP's a 250-lb dude who's done prison time, I'm sure he's been in a scrap or two in his life. Compare that to 135-lbs or so of Rousey who was never exactly known as a striker...in a judo match and he probably wouldn't have a hope in hell, you let him throw punches and kicks and I'm not so sure.

Also...

She might be a badass, but with the weight, strength and muscle mass difference, you just don't know. Testosterone is a hell of a drug.

Dude the dude she is fighting in that video is Gegard Mousasi, he is the middle weight champion in the second biggest promotion in the world, of course he will mess her up. For a better example of what a professional fighter can do to an untrained striker have a look at Royce Gracie mess up people twice his size in the early days of the ufc. Testosterone is a hell of a drug but technique is even better.

@Sir_Samuel

if you had a mma style fight with Ronda Rousey and her background vs. an untrained dude, the untrained person would get worked 9 times out of 10 imo.

Men are stronger yes, but they would have to be able to hit her with a strike before she took them down and used her skills to make them tap...

Now is it good optics to a casual fan intergender wrestling? probably not, especially the way WWE treats it.. but then again, this is the same company that would book Rey to beat big show on a regular basis.

So does Rousey win the strap at Summer Slam and head into Evolution as champion or do they find a way for Bliss to slip out with the win?

@Sir_Samuel

If I was to guess now, I'd say Bliss retains after a Nattie screw job and Rousey gets the belt at Evolution. Unfortunately we will have to endure some weeks of Nattie acting, of which I'm sure she won't be winning any Mizzie's for.

We all know Nattie is going to turn on Rousey. They've been making a big deal out of their friendship and it's too early for Rousey to get the strap.

And they need something for Evolution. Carmella is losing her title at Summerslam not Bliss.

I think they'll build to Nattie/Rousey at Evolution. I don't see them doing the two of them at Hell in a Cell or blowing that off at Raw, and they need to fill that Evolution card up, even though I'm sure they'll find some kind of battle royal to make sure they hit that ridiculous '50 women' target they've given themselves.

Bliss will get someone new for HiaC. Maybe Ember Moon.

As much as I like Ronda, and I see the logic in doing Ronda vs. Nattie at Evolution, I also don't want Ronda Main eventing that show.. She had a good match with Nia but I wish they would have the best match possible going last between two women that earn the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    We all know Nattie is going to turn on Rousey. They've been making a big deal out of their friendship and it's too early for Rousey to get the strap.
    Actually quite sad how true this is. In wrestling making a big deal of friendship means you're absolutely about to be betrayed!

Given that Jim Neidhart passed away, it would be an awkward time to have his daughter, Natalya turn heel.

Could still do it a month from now especially with Ronda's promo, you could twist it and have Nattie say what Ronda did with her little speech was exploiting her dad.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Ronda needs to calm down her crazy Ultimate Warrior energy down before she hurts someone? I really enjoy how she sells, and that in itself is entertaining, but every time she gets on offense, I'm always afraid she's going to hurt someone legit.

Her flow is just weird. And she has so many snap movements that I couldn't picture anyone actually being able to safely take her moves consistently. Even her speech pattern is weird, but it works for her. I don't know... The last part is nitpicking. Maybe I'm bitter that she's had, like, 3 matches and is the champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheqes View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Ronda needs to calm down her crazy Ultimate Warrior energy down before she hurts someone? I really enjoy how she sells, and that in itself is entertaining, but every time she gets on offense, I'm always afraid she's going to hurt someone legit.

Her flow is just weird. And she has so many snap movements that I couldn't picture anyone actually being able to safely take her moves consistently. Even her speech pattern is weird, but it works for her. I don't know... The last part is nitpicking. Maybe I'm bitter that she's had, like, 3 matches and is the champion.
    To me if it was any other 3 match rookie doing it I'd be very worried, however while she has only had 3 pro wrestling matches she has been a full time combat athlete first in judo then MMA since she was out of school and training her whole life. She would literally have locked in thousands of arm bars, chokes, headlocks and executed countless judo tosses and slams not just full powered in actual fights but also at half and quarter strength when training for technique. Point is that she would be completely aware of where she can push things up to, how much torque she can put on or how hard she can go before it is a problem.

I can see why people are frustrated at her getting the title so early but they have successfully made her into an attraction and legit threat in a very short amount of time.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    I'm not sure I would have booked it that way myself but yeah, I don't necessarily see a problem with Ronda getting the title quickly. The difference between her and other crossover athletes is she's already established in the realm of combat sports, so starting her at a low level would be a tough sell and might hurt her image, which make no mistake is very valuable. She's a star, so they are (arguably) rolling the dice that they can deliver with her in the ring fast. From what I've seen so far, it's a good bet.

It bothers me from a storyline perspective. She literally said, on mic, on Raw, that she would "earn her spot" blah blah.

But, like... She's gotten 2 title matches and 2 tag matches.

I totally get why, but they completely went back on the story that was supposed to build with her running through the division.

The Brain
    That's the problem when everything has to be meta and half-shoot now. I always got the feeling that "earn my spot" meant "I'll be on TV regularly and work hard to actually be good and not coast because I'm a celebrity because I actually want to be here", instead of "I'll defeat worthy contenders to prove myself".

Either way, I agree it would have been reasonable to give her at least one singles match before putting her in a title match, but here we are.

So, does she drop the belt to Alexa Bliss in their rematch?

I'm so confused with fans looking for something to complain about Ronda. She just came off a streak of domination in MMA, and even though she lost her last two fights, you can easily dismiss it as her getting too big and not putting her all into the sport. (and let's keep it real, those two fighters looked like they had more testosterone than the average man and maybe a 5 o'clock shadow.) If Tito Ortiz in his prime came to WWE, and won the title 10 years ago from John Cena, the crowd would pop the roof off the building. Forget how many matches he had, he had star power and you can transfer UFC and build it up as UFC champion vs. WWE champion and people would buy it. Ronda is a star, she should get the title, she has been embraced by the fans, and all this arguing she wasn't ready is complete BS. WWE needs to capitalize on her as much as possible. Strike now, use her name to main event PPV's, make her just as important, or more so than Roman Reigns, and use her to get mainstream eyeballs, and if the fans do tire of her, turn her heel and work the opposite way. And I'd build to a Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match with the WWE Horsewomen beinig jealous of the MMA Horsemen. Use it all, take that heat and sell it to the masses.

The Brain
    Haha, please don't mention Tito Ortiz! He was so bad when he did some spots in TNA a few years back, though I guess at least he didn't actually wrestle. But yeah, overall agree with you there LWO.

You're bang on about the meta stuff Mizfan.

@Sir_Samuel

LMAO... I'm just saying, instead of Tito in TNA getting exposed, he went to WWE, say 2006, and then jumped in the ring against Cena, EVERYONE would have popped, and chanted Tito's gonna kill you! But he went TNA instead, mainly because of Spike. Got exposed. WWE's doing one thing, protecting Ronda, and they are doing a great job.

Just thinking about the rumors that Nikki will go heel on Rousey leading to a match at Evolution, but looking at the landscape on Raw right now, wouldn't it not open more avenues if the opposite happened and Rousey is the one that turned heel?

Spilting the Raw womens heel and faces, on the heel side of things you have:

Bliss, Alicia Fox, Mickie James, The Riott Squad, Stephanie. All either have no credibility or have already been dispatched by Rousey.

On the face side you have- The Bellas, Natalya, Nia Jax, Ember Moon, Sasha and Bayley. Assumed WM foe Charlotte is a face. None of worked against Rousey yet other than Jax and even that still has legs.

Sure particularly against Nikki almost everyone in the crowd is going to be solidly behind Rousey but that doesn't seem to mean that much to the company and hasn't done Becky Lynch any harm. I think if Rousey is a bad ass and The Bellas are the first victims she writes of TV (preferably for good), before moving onto the real fighters like a Banks or a Moon.

Plus then you are probably only looking at one turn. Not Nikki to turn on Ronda. Then Brie. Then Natalya. Then another woman. And you wouldn't need Baysler to turn face when she comes up to show the friendship with Ronda

I wonder if they'll just let Ronda be Ronda and she'll work opposite whomever she needs to. If she needs to be a little more aggressive and heel-y with Ember Moon than she will, but against Bliss she's full on baby.

I also don't know how well a heel turn would work just yet. We're not quite a year into the Rousey experiment, and people live at the events want to cheer her. It's still a novelty to a lot of the fans in attendance that Ronda is even there. Are you going to struggle to get her boo'd?

The Brain
    I think at some point a Rousey heel turn will work well. Not sure if now is the time or not, she could to some face vs. face stuff potentially too.

Was Ronda/Ruby worth checking out?

Ronda is becoming just another person on the roster. In some ways, that can be good. She's always around so there's not resentment of her leaving and going but its gotten to the point where she's wrestling even matches with the talent... on Raw.. not a PPV event you built to.. but Raw where she sells most of the match, then wins. This can go badly when you try to book Charlotte as an underdog babyface for their mania match when Ronda hasn't really looked unstoppable.

Ronda just being another person on the roster only reinforces that the brand comes first.

It's this fine line that they have to walk.

On the one hand, if you only have her wrestle on PPV and only bring her in to build matches when necessary, you not only risk fans turning on her for being "part time" and still pushed...but you risk her getting bored because she wants to do this full time. On the other, if you have her wrestle on TV every week the shine comes off quickly.

I think that having her in six man tags and segments on Raw might be the way to go, while occasionally putting her in singles matches where she mercs people.

Also, give her the cross armbar! Versions of that are what's she's known for, yet they have her using this weird bent arm hold that almost resembles like a combination top wrist lock/hammerlock. Nowhere in that hold is the arm barred at the elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Was Ronda/Ruby worth checking out?
    Best Rousey match to date, I'd say.

And kind of sad, given that we're supposedly about to get bogged down in a feud with the 'Legendary Bella Twins' or whatever. At least it will be Nikki working, but still. You think about everyone on that roster than Rousey could be working with and you end up with this against Nikki - it's kind of sad.

Also now that Coach has said it I really want to see Rousey vs Moon.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    As a shameless plug, I think I just need to leave this here.....

http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...snar-vs-Rousey

The Brain
    Off the top of my head, I'd suggest the solution for Rousey is to work full time on the house shows and wrestle big matches on the PPVs/Specials, and then mostly not wrestle just on Raw. Then again, feels like some people will complain about Rousey no matter what she does.

Glad that Ronda/Ruby went well, may have to dig that one up!

If you haven't seen Rousey's promo where she cut into the Bellas on RAW. Youtube it. It was great.

Question: Why does she wear her pants/trunks so high? They cover her belly button. Weird.

Don't know but the picture of that dude's face as Ronda has him up HAS to be everywhere for years and years to come. Like that pic has to be highlighted when they show Ronda.

Man the crowd has turned on Rousey.

I just hope that Vince is listening, that even with her getting beat, and trying to elicit sympathy for Rousey, the crowd is NOT buying it. The crowd wants Becky. Listen Vince, listen.