View Poll Results: What was the best Wrestlemania of the "Hogan" Era?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I - Madison Square Garden, New York

0 0%
  • II - Three Venues

0 0%
  • III - Pontiac Silverdome, MI

5 41.67%
  • IV - Atlantic City Convention Hall, NJ

0 0%
  • V - Atlantic City Convention Hall, NJ

2 16.67%
  • VI - Skydome, Toronto, Canada

1 8.33%
  • VII - Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena

1 8.33%
  • VIII - Hoosierdome, Indianapolis

3 25.00%

The Greatest Wrestlemania - "Hogan" Era

If this goes well, we'll do them for each time period in Wrestlemania history. So save your thoughts on the later ones until then!

I've heard it called many things - the 'Federation years', the 'Golden Age', but I've simply gone for the Hogan Era because for the first eight years of it's existence one man was more synonymous with WWF wrestling, and with Wrestlemania, than anyone else.

So simple question - taking all things into consideration that you'd like, what do you think is the best Wrestlemania of those first years?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I went with my first instinct, which was Wrestlemania III. Having re-watched parts of it recently with the benefit of also seeing the TV build, the event stands out more than ever as having the vibe of the biggest thing that ever happened in wrestling. So many of the matches were built up perfectly, and it really felt like they earned that record breaking crowd.

Now I'm a WMIII mark to the fullest. The very first WWF PPV I watched live, as it was happening. I can remember vividly that day and that event. So with all of that said, I voted WMV.

To me V was the conclusion of the greatest WWF storyline until Austin/McMahon. The thing about WM's back then is that the mid-card matches weren't that built up. But of the WM's, 3 and 5 did have some good built up matches in the undercard, like Warrior/Rude, Savage/Steamboat, Demolition/Powers of Pain, JYD/Harley Race, Robert/HTM, Roberts/Andre. So because the under-cards for both were actually strong compared to other Manias, so then it goes to main events. And storyline wise, Savage/Hogan was stronger than Hogan/Andre. Plus WMV drew a shit ton of money, maybe not as much WMIII, but it might be very close. WMV might have done more PPV buys, and WMIII obviously took the in attendance gate. But from what I understand, if WMV didn't earn more money than WMIII, it was damn close.

The Brain
    When I was watching through both for the Heenan series, I actually thought Hogan/Andre was a better story than Hogan/Savage, because it was way too easy for me to side with Savage in the latter. Hogan WAS a creep towards Liz at times, and he did bail on Savage in that tag match, for god's sake. He was a bit obnoxious to Andre in his ceremony, but the way Hogan sold legit shock when Andre came out with Heenan and begged the Giant to tell him it was all a joke still gives me chills thinking back on it.

That's not to say Savage/Hogan wasn't still a great story, it was, I just see one over the other.

I do think V had a decent undercard. Andre/Jake was built up really well even if the match was limited, and weirdly Heenan/Rooster had some of the best build I've ever seen, despite being a nothing match (thanks to Warrior injuring Heenan earlier in the night). They also put some effort into building a lot of other matches, and I dug the Brain Busters/Strike Force match quite a lot, complete with the Martel turn. I can definitely see a vote for V, depending on how you look at it, though I think it lacks the classic match/historic match combo of III.

I can also get why someone voted for VI, and wouldn't be shocked to see a vote for IV. Curious what people think of XIII.

As an adult though, the Hogan creepiness to Elizabeth I think made it better. Hogan's the hero, we are suppose to cheer him, but man it was really suspect. Shades of future Vince booking.

The Brain
    I will never be able to shake the fact that Hogan said he likes to stare at a picture of Liz in a bikini while he's "hanging and banging". You just... you just don't say that in public, Hulk!!

It's like Vince Russo booked it... but it was McMahon. As many have said, Vince has a sick sense of humor. But for reals, when did he say that, 'cause I don't remember?

My vote went to III but LWO4Life raises a good argument for V. III was big in spectacle and the card was fairly solid.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life
    It's like Vince Russo booked it... but it was McMahon. As many have said, Vince has a sick sense of humor. But for reals, when did he say that, 'cause I don't remember?
    Neither do I.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    It was on some episode of Wrestling Challenge in August of '88, as they were building up to the Mega Maniacs/Mega Bucks tag match. I don't have the date in my notes but this is what I wrote in that month's Heenan Series entry:

At one point in the build up Hogan does a super creepy promo about how seeing Elizabeth in her bikini helps him work out harder.
    Oh, and if Russo had booked the Savage/Hogan feud, you can bet your money that Liz would have turned heel, because all women are evil manipulators. She also would have been beaten up and/or drenched in some sort of goo. I really wish I didn't know Russo's very specific fetishes so well...

Saw Meltzer talking on Twitter about the Wrestlemania VII fiasco today, where they booked a 100,000 seat stadium a year in advance and then had to change to a 15,000 seat arena, and were still trying to sell tickets up to the last minute. I kind of feel bad for them, as early as Wrestlemania VI they were bragging that they would once again break the indoor attendance record they set at Wrestlemania III. Sadly the "security risk" story doesn't really hold up, that's just when the bubble started to pop for that boom period.

There's some underrated Mania's here. With that, there's a reason 3 is rated (I'd say overrated) and it's a really strong PPV with a climatic, historic moment at the end.

The Brain
    Which would you say are underrated? All the ones I expected to get a vote have done so far, except IV.

The three I really like all got votes, so that's cool. III totally isn't overrated, V is great, and I love VIII too. I get the vote for VI for Hogan and Warrior but I don't think much of the rest of the show if I'm honest.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    How did VII get no love until I came along?

People get so distracted by the story about having to switch buildings, it drives me nuts. That show has some absolutely fantastic action on it. Sure, the Hogan/Slaughter thing is a bit old hat and ingratiating but what I love about VII is the manner in which it serves as a curtain call for the Golden Age that it culminated. Year-long arcs from WWE's roster through the 80s were all wrapped up or brought to a head on one single show, while at the same time the stars of the Era to come were beginning to make a real mark.

There's the Savage/Elizabeth reunion, there's André showing up against Heenan, there's Virgil facing off with DiBiase and there's the Hart Foundation having their last hoorah for the Tag titles against a team managed by Jimmy. And that's just off the top of my head; I'm sure I recall there being a few other bits that harked back to the Era leading up to it. Plus, the match quality, generally speaking, is really strong.

Man, I love VII!

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan
    How did VII get no love until I came along?

People get so distracted by the story about having to switch buildings, it drives me nuts. That show has some absolutely fantastic action on it. Sure, the Hogan/Slaughter thing is a bit old hat and ingratiating but what I love about VII is the manner in which it serves as a curtain call for the Golden Age that it culminated. Year-long arcs from WWE's roster through the 80s were all wrapped up or brought to a head on one single show, while at the same time the stars of the Era to come were beginning to make a real mark.

There's the Savage/Elizabeth reunion, there's André showing up against Heenan, there's Virgil facing off with DiBiase and there's the Hart Foundation having their last hoorah for the Tag titles against a team managed by Jimmy. And that's just off the top of my head; I'm sure I recall there being a few other bits that harked back to the Era leading up to it. Plus, the match quality, generally speaking, is really strong.

Man, I love VII!
    Very solid show! I felt like Slaughter-Hogan was one of Hogan's better matches. Hogan seemed more aggressive too. Good opener w/ Rockers against Haku and The Barbarian. As you mentioned there was the Savage/Elizabeth reunion and other great moments.

The Brain
    Man, I just watched VII and I'm not getting the sudden outpouring of love. Savage/Warrior was fantastic with an all time great character moment afterwards, I'll easily grant that. I really liked Perfect/Bossman too, and the opening tag match as well. Martel/Roberts and DiBiase/Virgil overachieve because of a great build and solid storytelling. I feel like there are a lot of matches that are just "eh" though, and Slaughter/Hogan did not leave a good impression on me at all, as Hogan is deep into his formula at this point and it's pretty clear the evil foreigner thing is not working as well as it used to. I'm not saying it's not a good show, but best 'Mania of it's era? That's tough for me to see. "Very solid show" is a fair assessment to me.

Wrestlemania 8 because of Savage/Flair and Piper/ Bret

The Brain
    The very lame main event of VIII is hard for me to ignore, but I do think it'd still be my 2nd choice. Definitely one of the better ones of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan
    The very lame main event of VIII is hard for me to ignore, but I do think it'd still be my 2nd choice. Definitely one of the better ones of the era.
    VIII? It had two main events.

The Brain
    I meant the crappy one they put in the actual main event slot, of course.

Savage/Flair is an all time classic!

Off the top of my head, I went w/ 3. As a little kid (12?) Hogan/Andre was insanely huge, as was the Savage/Steamboat angle, let alone that match.

Runner up would be the LA one w/ Hogan/Sarge, because Sgt. Slaughter was the best, you pukes! You MAGGOTS! There isn't any need to do a poll of the greatest vignette in the history of the rasslin biddness, because hands down it is Gange-bo training at Camp Slaughter. That was the greatest transformation in pro wrestling, until The Giant started hanging out w/ Luger and taking "vitamins".

The Brain
    I actually really like Slaughter overall but I'm watching through 1991 right now and if I never hear him scream about "The Immortal Slime" one more time, it'll be too soon!