Foo Fighters Thread

Not even going to suggest a machete order for these guys. For any big time Foos fan, that's just too big an ask!

But I'm sure there will be a few on here who love Foo Fighters. So tell us why! What albums, songs, live performances have made you a Foos fanatic?
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

I really like the album, The Color and the Shape.

Other than that I'm much more selective, but I do like Learn to Fly, The Best of You, Times Like These. And I'm just now realising that it's probably about ten years since I've heard anything by them, so I obviously couldn't claim to be a huge fan. But I'll love The Color and the Shape forever, I think.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Colour and The Shape is my favourite as well. But their luting last year, Concrete & Gold, is well worth checking out. A return to form, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    Not even going to suggest a machete order for these guys. For any big time Foos fan, that's just too big an ask!
    My first thought when I saw you had created this thread.

Love this band, saw them live for the first time ever earlier this year and they were simply epic.

I call them the last great rock band, not because there aren't other rock bands out there that are good but because I feel like they are the final giant rock band that can pack out stadiums all around the world as so many did through to the end of the 90s.

Havenít listen to them in quite a while, but I believe when itís all said and done, Dave Grohl will be considered one of the top 10 best musicians of all time. Not only for Foo Fighters, but all the other stuff heís done, as well.

Yes Meandi, definitely one of the last true "rockstars" out there.

Most of what he touches turns to gold for me. Every once in a while, after a few drinks, I'll put up YouTube and look for the QOTSA summer festival tour where Grohl drummed for them around the time that Songs For The Deaf came out. Not the best technical drummer around, but ba-gawd, that man is a metronome.

I know I truly love a band when I can think of 20, 30, 40+ songs of theirs that I enjoy immensely, and Foo Fighters is one of those bands. They just keep finding a way into my heart, over and over. A sign of a legendary band for me. On the levels, for me, of RATM, Weezer, Ben Folds Five, Led Zeppelin, SOAD, Audioslave, Tool, Soundgarden, Deftones.

One of my top 5 favorite songs, "My Hero". And then, near decades later they drop songs like "Walk" that resonate so deeply that it amazes me how connected they remain to the pulse of humanity for so damn long. It's like Dave sold his soul to the devil to be so freaking good. Fantastic band. Despite being very, very done with the live music scene (been to well over 100 concerts), I do want to see them live before they are done. If I don't, I suspect I'll lament it like I do never having had a chance to see Led Zeppelin.

It is funny they got brought up becuase just this week they overtook the Red Hot Chili Peppers as my most played band of all time on Last.FM (as music tracking platform that I have been using for nearly 10 years).

I'm with you Kleck that they have so many awesome tracks. If I go purely by most listened to tracks then my top 5 is:
    - Everlong
    - Best of You
    - The Pretender
    - Wheels
    - My Hero

It is funny that you bring up Walk because I honestly never appreciated the love for the song until I saw it live this year and had my mind blown by how the live version really emphasised the bridge. Funnily enough the song works really well in conjunction with the first single of their latest album Run.

Walk isn't among my favourite, but I do understand its appeal.

Off the top of my head, my top 5 (card subject to change!)

- Weenie Beenie
    - Ever long
    - New Way Home (used to be my favourite song from anyone)
    - Best of You
    - Dirty Water

My last pick reminds me - big fan of their last album.

Dirty Water, pretty rare to see the most recent stuff in best of lists. For the record I love that song, probably my second or third fav off the album behind Run and probably tied with The Sky Is A Neighbourhood.

I love how heavy and dense it is. The album was quite interesting, you really could feel the different production style of Greg Kurstin coming through.

Not sure if you've seen it but here is a really cool making of that goes into depth on the effect he had on the album:

Having Clive mention Weenie Beenie (such an outlier of a song for them) reminded me of Monkey Wrench for some odd reason. Thatís another of my favs.

The whole of Colour and The Shape is amazing meandi. But their debut album is also incredibly strong for me. Weenie Beanie is a standout though. They've tried to replicate that thrash riff song many times since, but I don't think they've ever been able to emulate such rawness.

Have you ever heard the actual song Colour and The Shape? My word!

Iím sure I have. I had the first two albums many, many years ago.

Not sure if the song itself was on album versions in other countries, but it wasn't on thr album of the same name. In case you haven't, here we are:

I like it. Thatís one thing that Iíve always admired about Grohl... he can craft the perfect radio friendly song, and then sometimes heís just like ďFuck it; this is about to happen now.Ē Reminds me a lot of Kurt Cobain. Youíve got the first half of Nevermind which had all their big hits, and then the second half of that album was stuff like Territorial Pissings and Stay Away. Of course, it makes sense why Grohl would have those influences.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Oh man, I love the Foo Fighters. I'm on the same boat as most people here, with The Colour and the Shape being my favorite album of theirs. I listened to that CD just about every single day throughout my senior year of high school. Monkey Wrench and Everlong are two of my favorite songs of all time, with Everlong being right up there as my favorite song ever.

I remember once I was driving back home from work after a particularly crappy day / week, and just as I was pulling into the garage of my apartment, Everlong started to play on the radio station I was listening to. I backed out of the garage and just drove for an extra five minutes around the block just to finish listening to the song.

I got to see them live at Oracle Arena in Oakland a few years back. I was way up in the nosebleeds but it was such an amazing show, spanning almost three hours long. They closed the set with an amazing rendition of Everlong, and I'm not afraid to admit that I teared up during that song.

As for their more recent work, I absolutely adore Wasting Light from start to finish, and I rank it pretty close to The Colour and The Shape. I like some of their more recent songs from Sonic Highways and Concrete and Gold - Something From Nothing, The Feast and The Famine and Run in particular. I haven't gotten into those albums in their entirety, though.

Wasting Light is so damn solid, perhaps the most consistent album they have, the difference between that and The Colour and The Shape is it doesn't have Everlong and My Hero on it. Objectively I can say Colour and The Shape is a better album but I think I just have better memories around Wasting Light, it came out the year I got married and I just had it on constant rotation in my car at the time.

Having said all that, one of the albums I really enjoy is In Your Honour, it was a real risk having the acoustic side with artists like Nora Jones on it. They had never really done something like that before and even though they had a really established fan base it was a big departure for such a pure rock band, before that the closest they had come was probably the song Ain't It The Life. Also Best of You.

Meandi, I love that too. Grohl can churn out radio friendly hits all day, but can thrash out some nasty shit when he feels like it. Good stuff.

Wasting Light has a real solid start. First 5 songs are the arguable the best back to back by Foos, but it kind of meanders away after a while and I dont end up into as much as I was the start.
    In your Honour doesn't get the love it deserves. Best of You is am all time classic rock song, but the whole Side A album is just crazy good. And the side B album finishing with that beautiful but tragic Razor is just breathtaking.

Toying with the idea of doing a focused re-listen to some Foos stuff. Especially the bits I don't know so well, which will probably involve most of the last fifteen years. Will let you guys know how I get on.

As I said above I became a fan of them in the second half of the last decade so I am a big fan of In Your Honour, Echos and Wasting Light. I think I'd even say that Wasting Light is probably their best album, it doesn't have the blockbusters of Colour and the Shape but I feel like overall it is better.

So as promised I've been giving this a go, and started up with In Your Honor. An album that the only song I really knew 'The Best of You'.

I quite like it, it's probably gone in as my second favourite overall on this listen. I don't think it's as good as The Color of the Shape as a tight, coherent, and vital artistic statement (ugh, hating myself, such wank talk, but stick with me). But there's a lot of good. I think all the singles off the first disc are pretty good, and 'The Best of You' is far from The Best of Them. Then the second disc does make the whole thing a lot baggier, a lot less focused, but it does show a great deal of range and there's some kind of interesting stuff on there. It does help to give the album more of a diverse feel since one of the things I'd have said stands against the first disc is that quite a lot of it runs along the same kinda lines.

But yeah, I liked this more than I thought I would, to be honest. Next, when I get around to it, will be Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace.

Cool to hear PT. I would agree that In Your Honour, especially the second disc is a tad all over the shop. Best of You was the first Foo Fighters song to hook me and while I now know they have other songs I would consider 'better' as a raw primal scream it still stands out to me. I really like In Your Honour as an opening track, the Foos often have a great way of kicking off an album, this one really nails it as does Pretender on ESPG and Bridge Burning on Wasting Light. The way they have each instrument enter individually is a tad formulaic but if you have a good formula it is sometimes worth sticking with it.

Another side road you can take if you want is to listen to Skin And Bones, their live album they recorded on their 'acoustic' theater shows on the In Your Honour tour. It has stripped back, more delicate versions of some old favs as well as more realised versions of some of the songs on the second In Hour Honour disc. Legend has it that Grohl wanted to keep the 'hard' and 'soft' setups for the band separate but their producer suggested combining them which is what creates the dominant style on ESPG - very noticeable in songs like The Pretender, Let it Die and Come Alive.

Anyway, this was a good read PT, looking forward to seeing how your next dive in goes.

So I played Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace while I was editing today. Realised once I started up that I did know the first track, though didn't know that I knew it and wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was called. Anyway, didn't think too much of the start of the album and there was even a few tracks that I'd forgotten within 30 seconds of them finishing, and I thought that wasn't a good sign. There was a point where I was going to just post something to the effect of 'listened to it, the less said the better' moving on to the next one. But as we went on there were a couple of tracks that made a bit more of an impression and I think that'd probably be a bit too harsh. Afterwards I did look up some of the legacy of the album and can see it divided opinion more than some of the others, and I can kind of see why. A lot more 'by the numbers' then the previous effort, and I doubt I'll ever go back to this one.

Anyway - Wasting Light is next, and this is supposed to be the best one they've done this millennium, so I'm interested to see what that one holds.

Seeing as how I havenít really listened to the Foos since their first two albums (minus the occasional times I hear something on the modern rock station when Iím tuning through the pop stations to find Taylor or Selena or Halsey...), would somebody (I know Clive said he wouldnít even try in the very first post....) like making a machete order of a playlist for me to get completely caught up?

I'll get onto that Meandi. I may even have a spotify playlist floating around that I made my wife before we went to the Foos concert earlier this year. I'll jump onto that this weekend.

To PT, I can certainly appreciate that ESPG is not a lot of people's favourite album by them. The attempt to blend In Youth Honour together was certainly not a home run. The Pretender is probably the only song off it that has stuck in their live set lists which is a pretty good indication of popularity. I still love Let It Die and Come Alive and The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners has a touching back story.

I'll be interested in what you make of Wasting Light. While I would say it is my fav album of theirs, there aren't a whole lot of stand out songs that have entered the mainstream like Everlong, My Hero, Times Like These, Best of You or Pretender. To me though it is just back to back rock solid rock.

Wasting Light was really interesting. I'm not sure it had the primal energy of one of the early albums but the songwriting was at a high, if not especially consistent standard. I'm not entirely sure how to process it in one listen to be honest. I think it might be the closest I've heard from the Foos as a 'grower'. In each of the first four albums, I found you knew fairly immediately whether you liked something or you didn't, or whether you thought it was good or you didn't.

With this one I know I preferred it to the predecessor, and I think I preferred it to In Your Honor as well. But exactly where it'll shake out in the final reckoning, I'm not sure. I guess I'll need to find the time to play it again. I may do that first, but if not the next up I guess is Sonic Highways, which sounds like it'll be quite a departure from the norm.

Yeah, I'd agree that Wasting Light is a grower. The first time I heard it Rope, Dear Rosemary and I Should Have Known really stood out but after a few listens the whole album opened up. I'd say there are only a couple of songs on it I don't really like.

As for Sonic Highways......... well don't expect too much from it.

As for that playlist for you Meandi, try this. I made it for my wife before we went to the Foos concert back in January.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/sambro...SvG5FFhHw5-G8Q

The cynic in me says you can probably quit after Wasting light tbh

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with you there man although I think both albums do have some redeemable qualities.

Right, so I listened to Sonic Highways. A fairly high-energy if forgettabe beginning before moving into a track that sounds a bit like a cross between some of their early stuff with the staccato influene of someone like The Hives added in there. Then I thought Congregation was quite a nice track. Then the second half of the album passed me by without really noticing a lot. It was nice enough but it just kinda sounded like the Foos without ever really grabbing my attention.

Yeah, that's about all I have to say on that one.

I really enjoyed Congregation too, from memory that is the song influenced by Nashville, I really liked the Zac Brown guitar solo on it.

I really loved I Am A River, the final track for the big orchestral ending. I remember when the album came out reading a review that singled that part out as Dave Grohl just trying to hard, comparing it to the over done strings on Abbey Road but I absolutely loved it.

As a whole I do think the album suffers from its ambition to explore the music in each city and then finish a song during the recording process, means the lyrics go from generic to kind of forced references which I think is possibly part of the reason nothing stands out a lot.

I guess all that is left now is concrete and gold from last year. I really enjoyed it, had some real high points in Run and Sky Is A Neighbourhood but also some petty weak stuff.

One again love the reviews PT

I've spun Concrete and Gold too, which unless I decide to play the live stuff or EPs brings this little experiment to an end. I think it's a hard one to put my finger on. Might be, a bit like Wasting Light, another grower, and one that could take a few listens. But one thing that did stand out about it was the production. While it still very much sounds like the band, at the same time the sound is... I don't know, deeper, warmer.... there's something different about the way the record has been put together and even though I'd probably struggle to name any of the songs from it a day later, I did find something immediately quite striking about that general difference in tone. I can see myself giving it another listen, for sure.