Previously on 24...

My name is 205 Clive, and I'm a 24 mark. In an almost trivia conqueringly sad way, might I add.

Any other fans of the Kiefer Sutherland terrorist powerbombing special agent show?
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

Also a big fan.. and have heard rumors about another 24 project being possible but its very hush hush. I could go for one more Kiefer run.

Well there is a technical possibility for another Kiefer run. You know what they're like for leaving the possibility to continue out there.

I thought the London season was good enough, but I wasn't a fan of only 12 episodes. Just go with the 24 EPs, or don't!

The Brain
    Yes, I was very into 24 at one point! Pretty sure I've watched the entire run at least once. It got a little ridiculous over time but overall I still remember the show very fondly. I think I liked Season 2 best just because we got so much of the incredibly awesome President Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    Well there is a technical possibility for another Kiefer run. You know what they're like for leaving the possibility to continue out there.

I thought the London season was good enough, but I wasn't a fan of only 12 episodes. Just go with the 24 EPs, or don't!
    See, I know most people feel this way and in normal cases i agree but i think the format works regardless. No dramas happen over a day and when 24 was 24 eps there was alot of filler. Plus, I don't think any 24 show now will get that type of order due to the changing times.

I need Bauer in my life. I heard Netflix might save Designated Survivor which sucks. Let Kiefer go so we can get Jack out of Russia and back home, damnit!

That's a good point LK. Very rarely these days, in a Netflix and Amazon world, do we get a 24 episode program anymore. It would be hard to pull off now. Funnily enough, Kiefer is in one of the Netflix shows that has the most episodes per season in Designated Survivor.

As fate would have it, I happened across a podcast recently called "The Longest Days of Our Lives" where trio watch and discuss each episode. They're only 2/3rds through Season 2, so I think I might add it permanently to my podcast playlist.

The Brain
    Long live the moment that Jack's stupid daughter was outsmarted by an actual wild animal in season 2. God, I hated her character.

At least she was hot.

The Brain
    Rampant stupidity is a big turn off for me.

Yeah although there are the aesthetics, Kim's intelligence was hardly portrayed well. Poor woman!

I don't even think falling foul to a cougar was her lowest point anyway. This podcast I'm listening to does a stellar job if ripping her decision making to shreds in season 1. She may have been in the middle of a kidnapping and all, but phoning her equally slow mother when she was inndanher instead of her SUPER SPY POLICE dad was just absurd.

The Brain
    Haha yes, she was a terrible character in every season. I think I blew up when they revealed in some random season that CTU hired her. I mean come on, people!!

On the plus side, some of the characters they had were just brilliant, start to finish. Pretty much everything with Charles Logan was dynamite.

MIZFAN!!! I know 24 isn't the apex of acting brilliance and beautifully nuanced stories, but Charles Logan for me is, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest TV villain there has ever been. What a character he is. And the stuff he gets up to is just unbelievable.

Other standout characters for me have been:

Chloe O'Brian (obviously)
    President Omar Hassan (I nearly typed Mohammed Hassan there haha)
    Mike Doyle
    David Palmer
    Martha Logan

The Brain
    David Palmer is my man, no doubt! Ah, just talking about this stuff makes me nostalgic. I always liked Tony too, and I was sad about how he ended up.

Always thought the perfect final arc would be Jack finally breaking bad and CTU being forced to bring him down once and for all. There could hardly be a more radicalized, PTSD-ridden guy out there, and he believes so strongly in his convictions you know under the right circumstances he could convince himself to take down the government.

Only problem with that is I can't root against Jack Bauer.

The Brain
    Haha, I can see that. It'd be an interesting challenge to see if they could get him to do something bad enough to turn the fans against him, or if they would just continue rooting for Jack no matter how bad he was.

Walter White was a horrible person but i still rooted for him... i know others couldn't but the fun to see how they get out of a situation not get caught/taken down

The Brain
    I think they could pull something similar off with Jack, if they really want to. In a way we're all traumatized with the guy, we've seen everything he's been through and felt his exhaustion and frustration.

Done right, it could be the best thing they ever did! This is what I've been thinking for years!!

They toyed with that idea foenthr last 3rd or so of Season 8, where he basically snapped and the collateral damage was far reaching. But if they did something like that, it would be interesting to see.

There are rumours about a return (aren't there always?) But Kiefer seems busy with this Designated Survivor these days, so we shall see.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Has anyone seen 24: Legacy and recommend watching it? I have it on my Hulu queue of stuff to watch, but I'm kinda afraid to watch it because I don't know how I feel about 24 without Jack Bauer.

The Brain
    Cancelled after 12 episodes doesn't bode particularly well, but I'd also be interested in a fan's review.

I liked it but... I didn't think it was necessary after watching it. The lead is fine but no jack bauer and without Bauer its just a show with a ticking clock.

Cancelled after 12 episodes? Wow. That's not good, considering the premise of the show!

So, what is everyone's favourite season of 24? Also your least favourite. I understand the favourites might fall to 2 or 3 contenders, but I think I know which one is bottom of my list already.
    Last edited by 205 Clive; 05-29-2018 at 09:16 AM.

12 episodes was the full season though. It wasn’t canceled and shows went unaired or anything. I echo LK’s thoughts on it. It wasn’t terrible.

Ah right. Apologies. I'm forgetting that the preference for networks these days is to have lesser episodes per season.

I may catch it one day, but there is just so many other shows I'd rather watch at the moment, that it's not high on my list.

The Brain
    I mean, it was still cancelled after 12 episodes, even though that was the planned first season.

Man, it's been so long I'm not sure I can pick my favorite season. I'd say 1-3 are the ones that I remember best, the whole David Palmer arc was awesome and there are a lot of iconic characters in that arc. The stuff with Logan was great as well. I don't remember liking the later seasons quite as much but I still enjoyed the show all the way through Live Another Day, though I could have lived my whole life without seeing cyberpunk Chloe.

Lol. Cyberpunk Chloe was just not the Chloe I came to love.

I would say that for almost perfect pacing, great pulled back story, and the overall introduction to the tropes that 24 became famous for, season 1 wins hands down.

But for balls to the wall, all out drama with thr shock factor rocked up to 11, Season 5 (the height of the Logan era) cannot be topped. That blew me away. Season 8 gives it a run for its money. It started off slowly, but when the night fell, that season reached quality it hadn't reached in a while.

Season 7 was my least favourite. I think it may have suffered from the year long "hiatus" due to the writers' strike at the time.

Season 5 with President Logan was my favorite.

Chuck Logan is a fantastic TV villain. Gregory It in plays that snivelling coward role so perfectly.

Hats of to the Martha Logan charašter also.

The Brain
    I'm a fan of the Nina arc too. That was a real gutpunch when they had the big reveal.

Do you know I've never seen an entire episode of 24.

That's all. Carry on!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I have a feeling you might like some aspects of it but it wouldn't be your favorite thing if you sat down and watched. I could be wrong though!

Prime Time - 24 might feel pretty dated now if you decides to watch it. I think the likes of Homeland is more current in the attitudes towards the whole Government vs Terrorism genre of TV

Mizfan - Yes I will always have a soft spot for Nina Myers. She was the first of a few successful 24 tropes, so she should be rembered fondly for that.

I'm trying to remember where I got up to with 24 now. I was pretty religiously into it up until Season 6, and started season 7 but then was immediately turned off by Tony returning from death. So I guess I stopped around there?

I think season 5 was my favourite.

Season 7 suffered for a few reasons for me. Tony's return from the dead was barely passable (remember, he technically never received the "silent clock" treatment!), but I can accept his reasons for turning in his country. Just.

Season 5 was all sorts of goodness from start to finish.

The Brain
    Yeah, I was glad to see Tony but sad to see the way they went with his character. Never really felt right, more like a stunt return for the sake of shock.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    My favorite season was season 5. That was the absolute peak of the series.

The first season of 24 that I watched was season 6. Someone from work couldn't stop talking about the show before season 6 premiered so I watched that one first, and enjoyed it a lot so I started from the beginning and was blown away by how much better most of the earlier seasons were. I binge-watched seasons 1-5 in about a month, something like 4-6 episodes per day. Ah, the days of little responsibility.

The Brain
    In college I always wanted to try to watch a season in one sitting, to get that full Jack Bauer sleep deprived feeling. Could never find anyone nuts enough to do it with me, and now it'd probably kill me if I tried, but maybe someday...

I can do it cause i have the free time but there's too much nonsense filler in most seasons to really hold up.

Also wanted to say I loved Tony's return but they kept him like a villain too long.

I agree with 5 being the peak. It's actually the first season I watched as it first aired. I then started power watching the first four seasons during season five.