Holiday/vacation plans and pictures

We had some great pictures on the old board. It's easier than ever to take photos nowadays. Hell, it's easier to travel around the world too.

This thread is to share your travel plans, whether those are firm or just dream ideas. Alternatively, share the trips you've been on and show us your pictures, if you feel like it!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

A few years ago, I went to Barcelona for a few days. While I was there, I unwittingly happened upon something called a correfoc, which was part of an annual religious festival they were holding. Here's a description from Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Correfocs (Catalan pronunciation: [ˌkorəˈfɔks]); literally in English "fire-runs") are among the most striking features present in Catalan festivals. In the correfoc, a group of individuals will dress as devils and light fireworks - fixed on devil's pitchforks or strung above the route. Dancing to the sound of a rhythmic drum group, they set off their fireworks among crowds of spectators. The spectators that participate dress to protect themselves against small burns and attempt to get as close as possible to the devils, running with the fire. Other spectators will watch from "safe" distances, rapidly retreating as necessary.
    I decided to become one of the spectators who participated, and took a few photos from inside the crowds whilst running with the fire. Here's the money shot.

That is awesome Genny.

I'm going on holidays in June, firstly I have a weekend away with my Youth Group, that will be fun but stressful and lots of work because I am basically in charge of 20 kids and 3 other leaders. Everyone else has roles but I'm the one in charge of it all ultimately.

After that though my wife and I are going down to the South Coast of NSW to a little coastal town. It will hopefully be very relaxing for us but there are also a number of great walks you can go on with waterfalls and stuff so I'll make sure I snap some pics. It'll be out last holiday before having kids so hopefully it will be a good break.

Back from Prague. Most notable thing about the Czech Republic is the beer, which is high quality and at about 40-50 crowns for half a litre is significantly cheaper than here.

A question to everyone thatís not American... why do you call it holiday instead of vacation? And what do you call days like Christmas? Is that still a holiday, or do you have another word for it?

No, that's still a holiday.

The reason we do it is because it's actually a weirder thing to use the word Vacation. Holiday started out life as a religious thing but if you go back far enough, that used to be the only reason people at the lower end of the social chain got any time off, other than Sundays. So after long enough passed, 'holiday' became synonymous with 'time off work'. But while holidays were for everyone, 'vacation' was something that was only taken by people in certain professions. I believe it's a law thing, hence the latin etymology, and it traditionally applied to a far longer period in which the institution would shut down for a few months. They'd leave it vacant, hence vacation.

My guess is that holiday carried on being used in Britain and the commonwealth in part as a working class thing, and that vacation was taken up in the US either because the early republic had a bit of a fascination with the legal profession, or because in the great Christian revivals of the eighteenth and nineteenth century in the US there would have been a push to try and restore 'holiday/holy day' to something solely religious. But those are just theories, I haven't put the hard yards in to back them up.

Interesting... thanks

While not a vacation per se, since I was there with the military, but I spent about three weeks in Szczecin, Poland a few summers back, and it was an absolutely amazing city. I wish I still had the pics I took, but Iíve since lost them. Awesome architecture and some of the best food Iíve ever had. Surprisingly, the cemetery across the street from where we stayed was absolutely gorgeous. Lots of very cool headstones and monuments; not plain and boring like American cemeteries whatsoever.
    Last edited by meandi; 05-28-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: just Ďcause

I must stress I didn't take these, because I stupidly forgot my camera. But here some other people's pictures of some of the things I saw in Prague. Best I can do!

Charles Bridge

Gehry's Dancing House

Powder Tower

Prague Castle

Old Town Square

Prague is a very pretty city. I love that town square. I may have to go back there to see my friend at some point this year.

Recently back from Sardinia, highly recommended.

Not sure if it'll come off but there's talk about heading to Boston. If I do, will probably have to head to Foxboro and throw some rocks.

Boston is a great little city. Definitely feels more British than most other American cities.

And Gillette Stadium's also a really nice place to go to...

Ha, we both know I'm not going there unless it's with the aforementioned rocks!

Might check out Fenway though, if there's a game on.... and if it happens, that is!

Just back from a last minute trip to Germany - Hamburg, to be precise. Ran through my limited German very quickly and had to fall back on my 'mein deutsch ist nicht gut', to which they'd usually reply in flawless English.

Good beer there too but it's a lot more expensive than in Prague....

Spent last week in Orlando at Universal Studios theme parks. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is bloody brilliant. The level of detail is astounding. The three parks are fantastic, including an amazing water park, Volcano Bay. Had a blast.