Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oooh. That's interesting. I love some good stat talk. I wonder how they figured out how each team would do. I may try coming up with my own version and see if I can beat theirs...

Worth a go, Sheep.

World cup nearly here and Spain have sacked their coach. I reckon that'll change the odds a bit.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Spain situation is fascinating, made all the better by them appointing Hierro and giving us the option of 'Spain need a Hierro' headlines.

Moscow reacting to Robbie Williams like this is France 98...

A couple of quick predictions.

Final: Argentina vs France, with a Messi winner to put an end to the best in history argument.
    Surprise package: Gonna go with Colombia
    Best African team: Senegal
    Best Asian team: Japan
    Biggest disappointment: Portugal
    England will go out because: thoroughly beaten in QF. No particular player at fault, just up against a better team, probably Germany.
    Last edited by Gooner; 06-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.

That was an incredible game.

Brilliant, the World Cup has sprang to life. You can really tell the difference in quality of Spain and Portugal compared to the previous 6 teams that played.

Well the Socceroos just pushed France all the way. Not sure if it was a poor performance by France or a good performance by us, probably a mixture of both but I'm damn happy with the result. Will be interesting to see how we go against the other two teams in the pool.

@Sir_Samuel

Mix of both. I'd say more so from the French. They looked lethargic.

Forget England; let's talk about how Australia outplayed France and only lost because of a fluke goal and instant replay getting it so very, very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Forget England....
    but.... but.... no one was talking about England? People were literally talking about that very game.

Eh, I've seen those given too often now I find I'm more inclined to say the game is broken than the decision is wrong anymore.

Aussies vs Frogs first game I've missed. Back on it for Messi. Spain vs Portugal was everything. The obvious big group matches often disappoint. That one definitely didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    but.... but.... no one was talking about England? People were literally talking about that very game.
    Inexplicably the last post I saw was one from like a day ago or something, not the other ones. My bad!

The French pen? Pen all day long. Just because he got the ball, doesn't mean you can take him out on the follow through.

If that tiny little bit of contact counts as taking someone out this game has gone soft.

lol this isn't news. The game has long gone soft. You make contact in the box and it's a done deal.

Kinda what I was driving at above with the game being broken comment.

More reminders of why I don't really bother anymore. Keep an eye on the Villa score but that's about it. Maybe England will draw me back in, who knows, but right now it's just a glaring example of one of the many reasons why I fell out of love with the game.

I totally understand that. I very much miss the days where you could fly through a striker. I miss the days where if you touch the ball, it's fair game to send the player into the stands with the follow through.

Ha, well I wouldn't go that far. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the full back getting one free hit on a winger to crock him without risking a booking either. But there was definitely a happy medium in there at one point.

Once people started talking about 'the right to go down' and interpreting the laws in ways other than as written, it became a very different game and one that - for me - is largely devoid of the passion and entertainment value that drew me in, in the first place.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-16-2018 at 10:35 AM.

A VAR decision and a freakish goal. Disappointed but feeling optimistic with the remaining games.

Edit: How does VAR even work? Clear penalty to Argentina and not even checked? Much more clear cut than the one Australia conceded.
    Last edited by sucky; 06-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Not sure - assume the ref has to ask for it?

It's technically still in trial. I believe the VAR refs look at each "incident", be it offsides, penalty shots, handballs etc. The on pitch ref should referee the game as normal and if the VAR refs decide there is a decision that was clearly wrong, it is relayed to the on pitch ref to have a look at. So far it has worked mostly well. On field decisions have been confirmed as correct on field. And they correctly awarded Peru a penalty.

However for me it has failed for the France penalty, which was not clear in being a foul. It's a 50/50, some see it as a foul, others don't. Therefore the on field decision, i.e. NOT a penalty should have stood.

I'm very much for VAR, I prefer getting a fair result, be it for my team or otherwise. But until it is perfected, we'll get these decisions from time to time.

I'm still for it, absolutely. There's no such thing as getting every one right but that's no reason not to change. Compared with a lot of sports the standard of refereeing was pretty low so they clearly needed some help. All good that they are getting it.

The VAR stuff was sad because obviously it worked against my team but it looked like they did get the right call and eventually there will be a call that we get because of the VAR.

Iceland game was incredible. How far can this team go? Gotta say it goes beyond the cliche of passion and heart, they ran Argentina ragged and played some very skilful aggressive football on top of those platitudes.

@Sir_Samuel

My brain is stuck in two places on it because it gets given a lot so maybe it should be. But I don't know when this became a non-contact sport. It certainly isn't a penalty by interpretation of the law as it was written down, the last time I read it. Maybe it's been changed since then.

An hour ago the Mirror predicted this would be the England line-up for their opener. Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Henderson, Alli, Young, Lingard, Sterling, Kane.

Not caught anything over the last couple of days, how have the games been?

Every game yesterday was 1-0. Iran really gave Spain a game, Spain were lucky to come away with three points.

Have to say, Russia look well up for it. Not saying they'll win, but they may well go further than anticipated if they keep it up. They will meet either Spain or Portugal (unless something strange happens) in the next round, so that could be make or break.

Other than that, Group H threw up two mini surprises, which blows that group wide open.

Games have largely been entertaining without being incredible. Big teams have not really turned up yet in my opinion.

I've been really enjoying it so far. The first round is always a bit weird in the World Cup, you get big teams that don't yet seem to be purring and smaller teams who are really up for it.

I thought Peru were really hard done by against France. They were my favourite team of the first round.

Portugal vs Spain was one of those crazy games, Spain looked all over the place until they scored and then completely dominated it from that point on.

Jedinak scoring penalties for Australia for funsies - he's scored the last five goals for his country, four of them penalties.

And England looked pretty good, I thought. Lucky to get that late goal, and lacking a bit of creativity. Supposedly Loftus-Cheek and Rashford in for Alli and Sterling against Panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I thought Peru were really hard done by against France. They were my favourite team of the first round.
    You tweeting from the future Oli? Yeah they were my faves in that first game though. Them and Mexico were both a lot of real good value. Think Morocco have been well unlucky but goes to show what lacking a striker does.

So M'Bappe wasn't born during France 98. This can't be fucking life, surely. Also, if a Prem club sign him one day and don't hire Hanson to do this shitty new trend of "signing revealed" vids, I will officially be done with football forever.

First instinct was to wonder why Alan Hansen would do that. Then I spotted the spelling difference. Only then did it click.

I've changed my mind. I want Alan Hansen to do it now.

Agreed.

Peru showing up again this second half. They are really fun to watch when they are in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    You tweeting from the future Oli? Yeah they were my faves in that first game though.
    God, yeah, I meant Denmark! Still enjoyed them against France, though.

I love Croatia. I remember watching them in 96 and 98 and really enjoying them, they make me so happy. I'm starting to feel like Messi is a lot more annoying to me than Ronaldo, and them beating Argentina last night, especially once Argentina started to lose their rag, was delicious.

Never.... eeeeeeeeeeeever... write off Germany...

Just got back to England cruising to qualification.

Have we ever qualified for the knockout stages with a game to spare? I can't remember and instance of it, we always seem to make it difficult.

Our game with Belgium could be brilliant. We'll know what's happened in Group H by the time we play (Colombia vs Senegal could be a cracker too, on a sidenote) and we'll probably both want to go for the win. Kane and Lukaku probably going for the Golden Boot and wanting to keep their tallies up, neither team being really impressive in defence in this tournament.

It could be brilliant. It could also be a damp squib 0-0.

I've heard Lukaku is getting a rest, Hazard too. Martinez said so after their game.

I think we have qualified before after two games, but not in my lifetime. We have won the first two games twice, in 66 and 82, so I suspect maybe then.

We last did in 2006, I believe. But that's the only time that I know of since I've been following the game.

All sorts of ways for the Belgium game to screw things up for us - and all kinds of reasons for it to be the thing that really grows the belief in the squad, if they can win it. It's probably the first time since the golden generation started to wind down that I'd be genuinely interested in an England match if I was a neutral.

Portugal vs Iran might just be my new favourite game of this tournament. Loved every minute of watching that last night.