Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I believe they both love him irl. Just... the way they were cutting their eyes at each other while Kofi was talking and that after.... they weren't their normal positive selves and all hype and what-not... look, just let me live in my fantasy and Kofi wins the title later this year and we get a proper New Day triple threat at next year's 'Mania after a most excellent jealousy booked storyline that we've been robbed of from The Shield, okay?!?!?
    It's just them not being in "promo" mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I don't mean to be the negative dude here (okay, twist my arm!) but how can you expect a New Day breakup angle leading to a triple threat to go right when the vaunted Shield triple threat match was handled as poorly as humanly possible? I'd frankly not mess with a good thing and just keep New Day together forever.
    Yeah, I see no reason to ever break up the unit. They're all better together than on their own. When Kofi's ready to scale back the wrestling end, let him take over as the manager on the outside.

I still think the Big E is the breakout guy from that group, but if Kofi can get a run at the top, why not? He's hard working, he's been over for a decade and they have two World Titles.

I also think it fits with the whole Eco heel Bryan is way better than AJ did. Think about it, the New Day represent that young generation that's always on their phone, distracted, the nerd culture, video games, stuff like that.. So Bryan has plenty of material he can use in a feud. Not to mention the fact that he can think Kofi is beneath him in status. With AJ, Bryan saw him as a peer in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I also think it fits with the whole Eco heel Bryan is way better than AJ did. Think about it, the New Day represent that young generation that's always on their phone, distracted, the nerd culture, video games, stuff like that.. So Bryan has plenty of material he can use in a feud. Not to mention the fact that he can think Kofi is beneath him in status.
    I've got to admit, it only came to me recently but New Day as a whole are probably the perfect people on the roster for Bryan to be feuding with. Even more than Hollywood Miz.

Possibly the only person better would be John Cena, but the basic principle is the same.

I'd love them to turn this into a months long feud of Bryan vs New Day, with each of them challenging him - especially Big E. As others have said, he should be the breakout star of the group.

Apparently Kofi is getting the Becky treatment. That must be a good thing? Surely...

Rumors have been circulating that they want to keep the Kofi match for Mania. Even before Vince intervened last night, there were rumors of Kofi vs DB at Fastlane AND Mania. Now they only have to do one match...at Mania.

And yes, it is a good thing. Causing even more crowd support. But will this lead to Kofi winning the title? Maybe for a month, then Bryan wins it back.

If this doesn't lead to Kofi Kingston beating Bryan for the title at some point, I don't know a better opportunity/storyline for it to happen. Kofi Kingston has paid his dues. Time for a nice title reign for him.

On the other hand, I am not quite ready for Bryan to lose the title just yet. This is a dilemma.

If you are a person of color, especially a man of color, what Vince said last night hit a nerve. If this story ends with Kofi winning the title, then this story would be very well done. That promo is the thing that non-white people hear a lot. Studies show people of color are less likely to get jobs, job interviews, or promotions, even if you put two resumes with the exact same qualifications in a pool. The name that sounds more "Black" or "Latino" gets called back way less that a "White" sounding name. So with that promo Vince cut really hit a nerve. You work 11 years, 11 years... doing everything you can to get your shot, seeing everyone pass you by until you get your chance. Once you earn your shot, that opportunity to prove yourself, you then see your White boss take it and give that opportunity to your White co-worker. Of course the way Kofi played it off too is exactly with the script, he just looked devastated, like he knew that something would mess this up. It was too good to be true, as people like him don't get title opportunities. Big E and Kofi went crazy, almost representing all the other Black people who protest when injustice happen. But in the end, they left, because they all knew in their hearts, that the system doesn't work for them. Big E's Tweet was perfect too after the segment... "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore."

I don't know who wrote this, but I'm guess a person of color. The person who wrote this out put this exactly in the place where Black people, and other POC's like Latinos, can see themselves in Kofi. They have been Kofi before. And WWE has gotten my FULL attention now for this storyline and where it goes.

Very interesting take, LWO. I hope they continue in the vein of not explicitly saying it's about race, just allowing it to be an undercurrent. I also liked Kofis reaction, as the older person he's a lot more expectant/numbed to being fucked over, while Woods and E represent the younger mindset - still willing to rage and shout at the injustice. It's certainly an angle that has me questioning whats next, in a good way, rather than worried WWE will fuck it up.

With this and Beckys ongoing story, it's fun to be going into Mania with two storylines where I have a real emotional connection. Hell, I'm usually happy with one!

And here's the thing, that's and unusually deep angle for them to run, but it also goes to show that the idea that white people won't get in to non white protagonists is silly as hell.

Even without the ability to relate to that specific set of circumstances, I see an evil guy who we clearly see through the subtext of the segment has spent a decade holding Kofi down coming out and doing it again. And now I want nothing more than Kofi vs Bryan at Mania with Kofi winning the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    And here's the thing, that's and unusually deep angle for them to run, but it also goes to show that the idea that white people won't get in to non white protagonists is silly as hell.

Even without the ability to relate to that specific set of circumstances, I see an evil guy who we clearly see through the subtext of the segment has spent a decade holding Kofi down coming out and doing it again. And now I want nothing more than Kofi vs Bryan at Mania with Kofi winning the belt.
    I'm not saying that white people wouldn't get it. What I'm saying is there's a surface level storyline, one that is obvious. But there is an undertone to Vince's promo, and Kofi's reaction, that just dropped enough for People of Color to catch, that my Twitter feed was filled with Black people saying "Vince is Racist." It's clearly a good and evil storyline, but there was an undertone that a lot of Black people I follow on my Twitter reacted very strongly to this story, and I had to take time to digest why they would react to a wrestling storyline. Though my favorite tweet was under Big E's, "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore." Someone posted an old Black man GIF saying, "This too can be overcome." This story hit a nerve, just the right amount. I wouldn't go further, like Triple H telling Booker T to dance. Like that's tasteless. This right here is just right.

I think Kofi is winning the title at Mania but i'm curious how they get there. With Becky, she can do something with Charlotte that would force Vince's hand. What can New Day do to get Vince to give Kofi a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I'm not saying that white people wouldn't get it. What I'm saying is there's a surface level storyline, one that is obvious. But there is an undertone to Vince's promo, and Kofi's reaction, that just dropped enough for People of Color to catch, that my Twitter feed was filled with Black people saying "Vince is Racist." It's clearly a good and evil storyline, but there was an undertone that a lot of Black people I follow on my Twitter reacted very strongly to this story, and I had to take time to digest why they would react to a wrestling storyline. Though my favorite tweet was under Big E's, "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore." Someone posted an old Black man GIF saying, "This too can be overcome." This story hit a nerve, just the right amount. I wouldn't go further, like Triple H telling Booker T to dance. Like that's tasteless. This right here is just right.
    Oh no, I agree with you completely. That's what I like about this angle, and what pro wrestling really is at its core. This is an angle that anyone watching can relate to and get behind Kofi, but for a person of colour watching it's hits home that much harder. For me, I'm the whitest dude on the planet who can't necessarily relate to those emotions, but I'm behind Kofi. For someone who has dealt with this their entire lives, it turns it up a thousand notches.
    I think Kofi is winning the title at Mania but i'm curious how they get there. With Becky, she can do something with Charlotte that would force Vince's hand. What can New Day do to get Vince to give Kofi a shot?
    Did Kofi earn the title shot at Fastlane? Like, did he win a match to determine the contender? If not, he just has to win a match -- maybe he faces someone hand picked by Vince that Vicne assumes he has no chance of beating -- and boom.

Off the top of my head, there's Orton as a guy that got that rep of "holding Kofi down" after their big program and nobody would be surprised to see go on to WrestleMania to wrestle for the title. Maybe Miz since he's a babyface now. If they want to take the angle that little bit further, Tommaso Ciampa would be a great heel to put in that position, the NXT guys are getting a push suddenly and you have the added bonus of another new guy getting the opportunity to pass by Kofi.

Part of me thought Vince was going to give the shot to Big E, actually. I think it could be interesting to have Kofi have to beat E, Vince trying to push them apart. Ideally, without it working as I really want the New Day celebrating together at Mania.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    Very interesting take, LWO. I hope they continue in the vein of not explicitly saying it's about race, just allowing it to be an undercurrent. I also liked Kofis reaction, as the older person he's a lot more expectant/numbed to being fucked over, while Woods and E represent the younger mindset - still willing to rage and shout at the injustice. It's certainly an angle that has me questioning whats next, in a good way, rather than worried WWE will fuck it up.

With this and Beckys ongoing story, it's fun to be going into Mania with two storylines where I have a real emotional connection. Hell, I'm usually happy with one!
    I don't know who wrote this, but I am glad they didn't take that Triple H step. Oh it could have been bad. Yeah, WWE has me interested. The Becky storyline, I am really looking forward to that conclusion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Oh no, I agree with you completely. That's what I like about this angle, and what pro wrestling really is at its core. This is an angle that anyone watching can relate to and get behind Kofi, but for a person of colour watching it's hits home that much harder. For me, I'm the whitest dude on the planet who can't necessarily relate to those emotions, but I'm behind Kofi. For someone who has dealt with this their entire lives, it turns it up a thousand notches.

Did Kofi earn the title shot at Fastlane? Like, did he win a match to determine the contender? If not, he just has to win a match -- maybe he faces someone hand picked by Vince that Vicne assumes he has no chance of beating -- and boom.

Off the top of my head, there's Orton as a guy that got that rep of "holding Kofi down" after their big program and nobody would be surprised to see go on to WrestleMania to wrestle for the title. Maybe Miz since he's a babyface now. If they want to take the angle that little bit further, Tommaso Ciampa would be a great heel to put in that position, the NXT guys are getting a push suddenly and you have the added bonus of another new guy getting the opportunity to pass by Kofi.

I think Coach answered that... LOL... And sorry if I misread. But yeah, it's a very interesting story and let's see how they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    Part of me thought Vince was going to give the shot to Big E, actually. I think it could be interesting to have Kofi have to beat E, Vince trying to push them apart. Ideally, without it working as I really want the New Day celebrating together at Mania.
    Nah, New Day said they'd only stay in WWE if they stay together.

Well Kofi is booked in a gauntlet match against, Orton, Joe, both members of the Bar, and Rowan. We know that Kofi will eek out a win here, but come on. I know this is pro-wrestling where we have to suspend disbelief, but this is just overkill. Vince thinks he is making Kofi out to be the ultimate underdog, and is "not deserving" of the title shot, but look to the booking of Daniel Bryan in 2013-2014, even with all the Authority angle nonsense, Bryan never had to go through basically the entire heel roster in one night. He had to beat HHH to earn a spot. So have Kofi win a handicap match, but this is just so asinine that it is complete stupidity.

We know that Kofi will win the gauntlet, and then he will have "trouble" beating Bryan at Mania, when he just beat a 13 time World Champ in Orton, a 4 time Champion and mutliple tag champ in Sheamus, a multi time champ in Cesaro, the current US Champ in Joe, and a "monster" who is a former tag champ in Rowan all in one night?

Stupid.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 07:21 AM.

There's loads of outs in there, though. Orton gets attacked by Styles, The Bar and New Day (and then every other Smackdown Tag Team) fight, Bryan triggers a disqualification for Rowan...

It's certainly overkill on the Kofi story, in my opinion, but it's the same as with Becky vs Ronda and everything around that - WWE can't just let a good story happen, especially not in Mania season, without trying to build it into something grandiose, preferably with the McMahons involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    There's loads of outs in there, though. Orton gets attacked by Styles, The Bar and New Day (and then every other Smackdown Tag Team) fight, Bryan triggers a disqualification for Rowan...

It's certainly overkill on the Kofi story, in my opinion, but it's the same as with Becky vs Ronda and everything around that - WWE can't just let a good story happen, especially not in Mania season, without trying to build it into something grandiose, preferably with the McMahons involved.
    I agree with all of this. I thought it would be cool at the end, if Joe is the second to last, and he has Kofi beat, so see Orton come out early and get Joe DQ'd on purpose so that he can finish Kofi. It'd be great story telling. As mentioned above, the first can be Rowan to me, which Kofi can believably beat one on one, then the members of the Bar, maybe one gets DQ'd so they can double Kofi before the other tries to end Kofi, leading to a New Day/Bar brawl. They get counted out, then Joe comes in, Orton wants Kofi to himself, then finally Kofi makes the comeback on Orton and beats him in the middle to tell the ultimate story of Kofi finally beat the man who depushed him over 10 years ago. At least that's how I'd do it. Hell maybe Kofi beats Rowan then Sheamus before Cesaro comes in. Who knows.

This match is guaranteed to be a schmutz. That is just one way to go about it and would be very entertaining. We know that it is gona be utter chaos.

They should just go completely absurd with it. Once Kofis first opponent comes out, have Xavier run down and punch Kofi right in the mush, thus getting his opponent DQed. Let Xavier walk off with a smirk while Kofi is on his knees looking at Xavier like WTF, dude? Why would you turn on me?!? Then when the next opponent comes out, have Big E come down and do essentially the same thing. At this point, a light bulb goes off over Kofis head, and he just starts grinning. Rinse and repeat the rest of the match.

Its loopholes to find but then if it was smartly booked, you'd have Vince come out or someone say if New Day gets involved, Kofi is disqualfied from the match...

Also, Kofi pinned several guys in a gauntlet match just a few weeks ago.. its not crazy for him to beat 3 guys in one match.

Part of it is suspending your disbelief but its also how a match is strutured and knowing its such a big match, a wrestler in my mind gives more effort. Like if this truly a competitive, real world like sports.. I wouldn't give it my all every match. Hit by the finish, fine.... but THIS Match is for a WWE Title match at Mania. You're gonna have to kill me lol.

That's how I rationalize certain things in wrestling.

Unfortunately, the announcers now don't really sell that aspect enough.. How important some matches are compared to others.
    Last edited by LK3185; 1 Week Ago at 11:37 PM.

Based on things going on over on Raw, Stephanie could just come out right after Vince and over-rule him. Which... would add even more to absurdity.

I definitely see AJ Styles costing Orton the match to further their Wrestlemania feud. maybe Rey Mysterio costing Joe the match as well. Don't know how Kofi beats The Bar without the rest of the New Day's help, though.

I don't think in the gauntlet match it will also be a handicap match. Cesaro and Sheamus will likely have singles matches with Kofi. One of them will get beat, then he will beat down Kofi and the other will try to pick at the bones. That's when New days comes out.

Welp. Kofi won the gauntlet but not the war. Vince had Bryan come out at the end and beat Kofi.

So we still don't have a WWE Championship match set for Mania.

Don't think we'll see another gauntlet, but something different to get Kofi that match with Bryan.

Stephanie will probably override Vince's decision or something. Maybe Kofi faces Bryan and Rowan in a handikept match and wins. Either way, the title match needs to be made official next weekend.

I think Kofi will have to earn it again but i'm not sure on the details.. Maybe Vince has another hand picked guy... But then Steph or someone comes out to put a stop to it.

I'd say use Cena but I don't think he'll come in for that.

Like have Kofi put his career on the line too to get the match.

Yeah, I see Steph and HHH stepping in now as Vince is on a complete power trip.

Side note, the little comments from everybody, this is the build Booker T deserved in 2003.

However, Bryan was correct last night.

Kofi didn't earn anything prior to the gauntlet match. He was chosen to be Ali's replacement. He lost the first gauntlet match, he lost the Chamber match. Yes he fought valiantly, but he lost.

But then Vince made the rules, and then changed them. Now it should be HHH and/or Stephanie inserting Kofi into the WM Match.

But that's kind of the point of the entire angle. He's been there for 11 years and never had the opportunity to earn it while everyone else has gone past him.

I'm sure if you go back and look he's been involved in a Beat the Clock or a multi-guy contenders match, but for the purpose of this story he hasn't been given the opportunity to even earn it. That's what he was asking Vince for last week. Not a WrestleMania shot, but to know what he had to do to earn it.

But to be fair....Kofi did earn the shot last night, and then Vince changed the rules once again. This is going back to exactly what Vince said they wouldn't be doing just 3 months ago. Having the McMahon family making all the decisions, "playing God", and listening to the crowd for decisions. So Vince played the heel with Becky and she overcame it and all was forgotten. Now Vince played the heel with Kofi and he beat the gauntlet. Then he changes the rules for the fun of it, with the big ADR shit eating grin on his face.

It makes no sense.

All I know is that is better result with Kofi winning the title at Manai, other wise it could be looked upon as yet another time the WWF/E failed to give a 100% Black person the WWE title. I know many will state that the Rock, Jinder, ADR and Booker T all won a title, but the Rock is 50% black, Jinder is Indian, ADR is Mexican, and Booker never won the WWE title. Kofi would be the first 100% black person to do so.

Also, I keep hearing rumors that Big E is turning on Kofi after Mania.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Days Ago at 11:11 AM.

So Vince and the McMahon family lied to us about not getting involved and playing god. Big deal lol. I mean it sucks but if you really expected that to last.... I don't know what to tell you.

Also, Kofi has pinned Bryan I think twice and still hasn't gotten a one on one singles match for the title. Granted, no one else has but pinning the champ, no matter when it happens usually leads to something.

I really don't want a New Day breakup or heel turn for Big E after Mania

So Vince and the McMahon family lied to us about not getting involved and playing god. Big deal lol. I mean it sucks but if you really expected that to last.... I don't know what to tell you.
    This comment made me think of my response to that whole thing back in December in the general discussion thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    If anyone thinks anything different will come of it, I've got some magic beans for sale.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Big E posted a twitter vid today where he talked about how 'people like us' can climb the mountain but never reach the peak. I wonder if WWE would have the balls to say in a story line mind you, and from Vince that while he appreciates Kofi and the New Day for all they bring to WWE, he doesn't want a black man as World champion.

just come out and say it. The implied subtext is already there and fans are eating it up.

No way, all of the sponsors would leave almost immediately.

Headlines: The WWE comes out and claims it is racist, even if it is part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    But to be fair....Kofi did earn the shot last night, and then Vince changed the rules once again. This is going back to exactly what Vince said they wouldn't be doing just 3 months ago. Having the McMahon family making all the decisions, "playing God", and listening to the crowd for decisions. So Vince played the heel with Becky and she overcame it and all was forgotten. Now Vince played the heel with Kofi and he beat the gauntlet. Then he changes the rules for the fun of it, with the big ADR shit eating grin on his face.

It makes no sense.

All I know is that is better result with Kofi winning the title at Manai, other wise it could be looked upon as yet another time the WWF/E failed to give a 100% Black person the WWE title. I know many will state that the Rock, Jinder, ADR and Booker T all won a title, but the Rock is 50% black, Jinder is Indian, ADR is Mexican, and Booker never won the WWE title. Kofi would be the first 100% black person to do so.

Also, I keep hearing rumors that Big E is turning on Kofi after Mania.
    I think people dismissing Rock's Blackness is very problematic. Rock is 50% Black, but Barack Obama is also 50% Black and he's still the first Black president. And the Rock was presented as Black, he was part of the Nation, he acted like Deion Sanders, he was the spoiled Black athlete of the 90's, he sang with rappers who were ring side, he did a song with Wyclef Jean. The Rock was a Black/Samoan man who became bigger than wrestling.

But in many ways, the Rock is the perfect argument that Kofi is the first true Black WWE Champion. You see, to question the Rock's Blackness is very problematic, spits in the face of his legacy. But, the argument that you have to be twice as good to get half the results, the Rock was a transcending talent beyond anything ever seen. It took a talent as great as the Rock to finally become the first Black WWE champion. To the point that even Black people write him off because, of course he would be champion. But to be honest, he never got a big WrestleMania win, he never got a full run with the WWE title. The Rock's talent was that, he should have won the title in WrestleMania 2000, and defended it all the way up until WrestleMania 19 when he left. Hell, they gave Roman Reigns more WrestleMania main events than the Rock. The Rock had way more talent than everyone not named Stone Cold in his era, and instead main evented WrestleMania 3 times, walked out with no WWF titles, and got only 1 great moment beating Hulk Hogan. Even the Rock himself couldn't achieve what his talent level dictated. And if the Rock couldn't achieve it, what does that leave other Black talent like Kofi Kingston, like others. I remember having this argument with Irish Sarah once, that the WWE doesn't give Black wrestlers enough of a chance to be main event stars. Even Bobby Lashley should have been given a main event push over 10 years ago, Shelton was killed by a highly racist Mama angle, Booker T should have had a run with the WWE title, and if these wrestlers were white, they would have been given a chance. In a very weird way, I like Kofi, but I never in a 1,000,000 years thought he'd be the one to break the glass ceiling. But yet, here we are.

I can’t get Twitter feeds at work, can you transcribe what he said, or summarize?

Basically what LWO was saying but someone had said that The Rock doesn't Identify as black. So The Rock said this in response

'

Glad I came across this and I’ll give you guys some context & truth.
    I identify as exactly what I am - both. Equally proud. Black/Samoan.
    And my friend, let me expand your thoughts a bit here - I transcended race in wrestling so there was no “booked that way”. Thx guys

So Rock was bigger than any racial slight in the company which is obvious.
    Last edited by LK3185; 3 Days Ago at 12:47 PM.

From Big E's Twitter video blog

“We’ve had some time to contemplate what happened Tuesday night, and obviously Kofi’s performance and the aftermath and our reaction to all of that. And a little bit of time to reflect too on - I guess kind of our careers and why we do this. You know, you think of this business to some degree being a meritocracy. If you work hard, you show up early, you stay late, you do all the right things, you jump through all the right hoops, you’re respectful, you don’t break the law, that you get good at your craft, that you really hone that, that you find a place with fans, you separate yourself, you find a niche, you separate yourself from a character perspective, from an in-ring perspective. You do everything, you check all the boxes, you show up in shape - you do everything that’s asked of you in this business - that if you do all those things you have a good chance of making it to the top.

But now we understand the game. We see what the game is - that people like us will only get so far. That you can climb the mountain. They’ll let you climb the mountain, but as far as getting to the peak and staying at the peak - it’s not a thing that people like us, historically and moving forward clearly, can only get so far.

So you know, we’ve done a lot of cool things here. We’ve been able to do a lot of things we never imagined we could do but clearly we are never meant to be more than this. And for people like us that’s not enough. And it will never be enough. So we’ve got to sit back and think whether, you know, continuing to be gone for 250 days-plus a year is worth it. Of missing the family time, of doing this to our bodies - leaving a piece of yourself in the ring that you can never get back. All the things we give, if it’s worth it when we can only get this far. So we’ve got a lot of thinking to do. You know, obviously proud of Kofi, proud of us as a trio, proud of what we’ve done, but if this is all we ever be? I don’t know if it’s worth it.”

Maybe teasing leaving WWE for AEW?

https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1...f_HrttjkC5JMGI

Edit to add this:

The video, the tone in Big E's voice, I know it's a work, but being a Man of Color, it feels too damn real. It hits too hard. Hell, I just came off a chat with my wife who's a teacher and all the racist BS she has to put up with from White teachers who treat her as if she's one of the little brown kids they are teaching. Very interesting.
    Last edited by LWO4Life; 3 Days Ago at 01:55 PM.