Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 66 of 66
  1. #41
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I believe they both love him irl. Just... the way they were cutting their eyes at each other while Kofi was talking and that after.... they weren't their normal positive selves and all hype and what-not... look, just let me live in my fantasy and Kofi wins the title later this year and we get a proper New Day triple threat at next year's 'Mania after a most excellent jealousy booked storyline that we've been robbed of from The Shield, okay?!?!?
    It's just them not being in "promo" mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I don't mean to be the negative dude here (okay, twist my arm!) but how can you expect a New Day breakup angle leading to a triple threat to go right when the vaunted Shield triple threat match was handled as poorly as humanly possible? I'd frankly not mess with a good thing and just keep New Day together forever.
    Yeah, I see no reason to ever break up the unit. They're all better together than on their own. When Kofi's ready to scale back the wrestling end, let him take over as the manager on the outside.

    I still think the Big E is the breakout guy from that group, but if Kofi can get a run at the top, why not? He's hard working, he's been over for a decade and they have two World Titles.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    I also think it fits with the whole Eco heel Bryan is way better than AJ did. Think about it, the New Day represent that young generation that's always on their phone, distracted, the nerd culture, video games, stuff like that.. So Bryan has plenty of material he can use in a feud. Not to mention the fact that he can think Kofi is beneath him in status. With AJ, Bryan saw him as a peer in the ring.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I also think it fits with the whole Eco heel Bryan is way better than AJ did. Think about it, the New Day represent that young generation that's always on their phone, distracted, the nerd culture, video games, stuff like that.. So Bryan has plenty of material he can use in a feud. Not to mention the fact that he can think Kofi is beneath him in status.
    I've got to admit, it only came to me recently but New Day as a whole are probably the perfect people on the roster for Bryan to be feuding with. Even more than Hollywood Miz.

    Possibly the only person better would be John Cena, but the basic principle is the same.

    I'd love them to turn this into a months long feud of Bryan vs New Day, with each of them challenging him - especially Big E. As others have said, he should be the breakout star of the group.

  4. #44
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    186 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    488
    Apparently Kofi is getting the Becky treatment. That must be a good thing? Surely...

  5. #45
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,262
    Rumors have been circulating that they want to keep the Kofi match for Mania. Even before Vince intervened last night, there were rumors of Kofi vs DB at Fastlane AND Mania. Now they only have to do one match...at Mania.

    And yes, it is a good thing. Causing even more crowd support. But will this lead to Kofi winning the title? Maybe for a month, then Bryan wins it back.

  6. #46
    If this doesn't lead to Kofi Kingston beating Bryan for the title at some point, I don't know a better opportunity/storyline for it to happen. Kofi Kingston has paid his dues. Time for a nice title reign for him.

    On the other hand, I am not quite ready for Bryan to lose the title just yet. This is a dilemma.

  7. #47
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    460
    If you are a person of color, especially a man of color, what Vince said last night hit a nerve. If this story ends with Kofi winning the title, then this story would be very well done. That promo is the thing that non-white people hear a lot. Studies show people of color are less likely to get jobs, job interviews, or promotions, even if you put two resumes with the exact same qualifications in a pool. The name that sounds more "Black" or "Latino" gets called back way less that a "White" sounding name. So with that promo Vince cut really hit a nerve. You work 11 years, 11 years... doing everything you can to get your shot, seeing everyone pass you by until you get your chance. Once you earn your shot, that opportunity to prove yourself, you then see your White boss take it and give that opportunity to your White co-worker. Of course the way Kofi played it off too is exactly with the script, he just looked devastated, like he knew that something would mess this up. It was too good to be true, as people like him don't get title opportunities. Big E and Kofi went crazy, almost representing all the other Black people who protest when injustice happen. But in the end, they left, because they all knew in their hearts, that the system doesn't work for them. Big E's Tweet was perfect too after the segment... "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore."

    I don't know who wrote this, but I'm guess a person of color. The person who wrote this out put this exactly in the place where Black people, and other POC's like Latinos, can see themselves in Kofi. They have been Kofi before. And WWE has gotten my FULL attention now for this storyline and where it goes.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    136
    Very interesting take, LWO. I hope they continue in the vein of not explicitly saying it's about race, just allowing it to be an undercurrent. I also liked Kofis reaction, as the older person he's a lot more expectant/numbed to being fucked over, while Woods and E represent the younger mindset - still willing to rage and shout at the injustice. It's certainly an angle that has me questioning whats next, in a good way, rather than worried WWE will fuck it up.

    With this and Beckys ongoing story, it's fun to be going into Mania with two storylines where I have a real emotional connection. Hell, I'm usually happy with one!

  9. #49
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    308
    And here's the thing, that's and unusually deep angle for them to run, but it also goes to show that the idea that white people won't get in to non white protagonists is silly as hell.

    Even without the ability to relate to that specific set of circumstances, I see an evil guy who we clearly see through the subtext of the segment has spent a decade holding Kofi down coming out and doing it again. And now I want nothing more than Kofi vs Bryan at Mania with Kofi winning the belt.

  10. #50
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    And here's the thing, that's and unusually deep angle for them to run, but it also goes to show that the idea that white people won't get in to non white protagonists is silly as hell.

    Even without the ability to relate to that specific set of circumstances, I see an evil guy who we clearly see through the subtext of the segment has spent a decade holding Kofi down coming out and doing it again. And now I want nothing more than Kofi vs Bryan at Mania with Kofi winning the belt.
    I'm not saying that white people wouldn't get it. What I'm saying is there's a surface level storyline, one that is obvious. But there is an undertone to Vince's promo, and Kofi's reaction, that just dropped enough for People of Color to catch, that my Twitter feed was filled with Black people saying "Vince is Racist." It's clearly a good and evil storyline, but there was an undertone that a lot of Black people I follow on my Twitter reacted very strongly to this story, and I had to take time to digest why they would react to a wrestling storyline. Though my favorite tweet was under Big E's, "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore." Someone posted an old Black man GIF saying, "This too can be overcome." This story hit a nerve, just the right amount. I wouldn't go further, like Triple H telling Booker T to dance. Like that's tasteless. This right here is just right.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    I think Kofi is winning the title at Mania but i'm curious how they get there. With Becky, she can do something with Charlotte that would force Vince's hand. What can New Day do to get Vince to give Kofi a shot?

  12. #52
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I'm not saying that white people wouldn't get it. What I'm saying is there's a surface level storyline, one that is obvious. But there is an undertone to Vince's promo, and Kofi's reaction, that just dropped enough for People of Color to catch, that my Twitter feed was filled with Black people saying "Vince is Racist." It's clearly a good and evil storyline, but there was an undertone that a lot of Black people I follow on my Twitter reacted very strongly to this story, and I had to take time to digest why they would react to a wrestling storyline. Though my favorite tweet was under Big E's, "I don’t even know why we’re surprised anymore." Someone posted an old Black man GIF saying, "This too can be overcome." This story hit a nerve, just the right amount. I wouldn't go further, like Triple H telling Booker T to dance. Like that's tasteless. This right here is just right.
    Oh no, I agree with you completely. That's what I like about this angle, and what pro wrestling really is at its core. This is an angle that anyone watching can relate to and get behind Kofi, but for a person of colour watching it's hits home that much harder. For me, I'm the whitest dude on the planet who can't necessarily relate to those emotions, but I'm behind Kofi. For someone who has dealt with this their entire lives, it turns it up a thousand notches.
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I think Kofi is winning the title at Mania but i'm curious how they get there. With Becky, she can do something with Charlotte that would force Vince's hand. What can New Day do to get Vince to give Kofi a shot?
    Did Kofi earn the title shot at Fastlane? Like, did he win a match to determine the contender? If not, he just has to win a match -- maybe he faces someone hand picked by Vince that Vicne assumes he has no chance of beating -- and boom.

    Off the top of my head, there's Orton as a guy that got that rep of "holding Kofi down" after their big program and nobody would be surprised to see go on to WrestleMania to wrestle for the title. Maybe Miz since he's a babyface now. If they want to take the angle that little bit further, Tommaso Ciampa would be a great heel to put in that position, the NXT guys are getting a push suddenly and you have the added bonus of another new guy getting the opportunity to pass by Kofi.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    136
    Part of me thought Vince was going to give the shot to Big E, actually. I think it could be interesting to have Kofi have to beat E, Vince trying to push them apart. Ideally, without it working as I really want the New Day celebrating together at Mania.

  14. #54
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    Very interesting take, LWO. I hope they continue in the vein of not explicitly saying it's about race, just allowing it to be an undercurrent. I also liked Kofis reaction, as the older person he's a lot more expectant/numbed to being fucked over, while Woods and E represent the younger mindset - still willing to rage and shout at the injustice. It's certainly an angle that has me questioning whats next, in a good way, rather than worried WWE will fuck it up.

    With this and Beckys ongoing story, it's fun to be going into Mania with two storylines where I have a real emotional connection. Hell, I'm usually happy with one!
    I don't know who wrote this, but I am glad they didn't take that Triple H step. Oh it could have been bad. Yeah, WWE has me interested. The Becky storyline, I am really looking forward to that conclusion too.

    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I think Kofi is winning the title at Mania but i'm curious how they get there. With Becky, she can do something with Charlotte that would force Vince's hand. What can New Day do to get Vince to give Kofi a shot?


    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Oh no, I agree with you completely. That's what I like about this angle, and what pro wrestling really is at its core. This is an angle that anyone watching can relate to and get behind Kofi, but for a person of colour watching it's hits home that much harder. For me, I'm the whitest dude on the planet who can't necessarily relate to those emotions, but I'm behind Kofi. For someone who has dealt with this their entire lives, it turns it up a thousand notches.

    Did Kofi earn the title shot at Fastlane? Like, did he win a match to determine the contender? If not, he just has to win a match -- maybe he faces someone hand picked by Vince that Vicne assumes he has no chance of beating -- and boom.

    Off the top of my head, there's Orton as a guy that got that rep of "holding Kofi down" after their big program and nobody would be surprised to see go on to WrestleMania to wrestle for the title. Maybe Miz since he's a babyface now. If they want to take the angle that little bit further, Tommaso Ciampa would be a great heel to put in that position, the NXT guys are getting a push suddenly and you have the added bonus of another new guy getting the opportunity to pass by Kofi.

    I think Coach answered that... LOL... And sorry if I misread. But yeah, it's a very interesting story and let's see how they go.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    Part of me thought Vince was going to give the shot to Big E, actually. I think it could be interesting to have Kofi have to beat E, Vince trying to push them apart. Ideally, without it working as I really want the New Day celebrating together at Mania.
    Nah, New Day said they'd only stay in WWE if they stay together.

  15. #55
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,262
    Well Kofi is booked in a gauntlet match against, Orton, Joe, both members of the Bar, and Rowan. We know that Kofi will eek out a win here, but come on. I know this is pro-wrestling where we have to suspend disbelief, but this is just overkill. Vince thinks he is making Kofi out to be the ultimate underdog, and is "not deserving" of the title shot, but look to the booking of Daniel Bryan in 2013-2014, even with all the Authority angle nonsense, Bryan never had to go through basically the entire heel roster in one night. He had to beat HHH to earn a spot. So have Kofi win a handicap match, but this is just so asinine that it is complete stupidity.

    We know that Kofi will win the gauntlet, and then he will have "trouble" beating Bryan at Mania, when he just beat a 13 time World Champ in Orton, a 4 time Champion and mutliple tag champ in Sheamus, a multi time champ in Cesaro, the current US Champ in Joe, and a "monster" who is a former tag champ in Rowan all in one night?

    Stupid.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 07:21 AM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    712
    There's loads of outs in there, though. Orton gets attacked by Styles, The Bar and New Day (and then every other Smackdown Tag Team) fight, Bryan triggers a disqualification for Rowan...

    It's certainly overkill on the Kofi story, in my opinion, but it's the same as with Becky vs Ronda and everything around that - WWE can't just let a good story happen, especially not in Mania season, without trying to build it into something grandiose, preferably with the McMahons involved.

  17. #57
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    There's loads of outs in there, though. Orton gets attacked by Styles, The Bar and New Day (and then every other Smackdown Tag Team) fight, Bryan triggers a disqualification for Rowan...

    It's certainly overkill on the Kofi story, in my opinion, but it's the same as with Becky vs Ronda and everything around that - WWE can't just let a good story happen, especially not in Mania season, without trying to build it into something grandiose, preferably with the McMahons involved.
    I agree with all of this. I thought it would be cool at the end, if Joe is the second to last, and he has Kofi beat, so see Orton come out early and get Joe DQ'd on purpose so that he can finish Kofi. It'd be great story telling. As mentioned above, the first can be Rowan to me, which Kofi can believably beat one on one, then the members of the Bar, maybe one gets DQ'd so they can double Kofi before the other tries to end Kofi, leading to a New Day/Bar brawl. They get counted out, then Joe comes in, Orton wants Kofi to himself, then finally Kofi makes the comeback on Orton and beats him in the middle to tell the ultimate story of Kofi finally beat the man who depushed him over 10 years ago. At least that's how I'd do it. Hell maybe Kofi beats Rowan then Sheamus before Cesaro comes in. Who knows.

  18. #58
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,265
    This match is guaranteed to be a schmutz. That is just one way to go about it and would be very entertaining. We know that it is gona be utter chaos.



    @Sir_Samuel

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    669
    They should just go completely absurd with it. Once Kofis first opponent comes out, have Xavier run down and punch Kofi right in the mush, thus getting his opponent DQed. Let Xavier walk off with a smirk while Kofi is on his knees looking at Xavier like WTF, dude? Why would you turn on me?!? Then when the next opponent comes out, have Big E come down and do essentially the same thing. At this point, a light bulb goes off over Kofis head, and he just starts grinning. Rinse and repeat the rest of the match.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    Its loopholes to find but then if it was smartly booked, you'd have Vince come out or someone say if New Day gets involved, Kofi is disqualfied from the match...

    Also, Kofi pinned several guys in a gauntlet match just a few weeks ago.. its not crazy for him to beat 3 guys in one match.

    Part of it is suspending your disbelief but its also how a match is strutured and knowing its such a big match, a wrestler in my mind gives more effort. Like if this truly a competitive, real world like sports.. I wouldn't give it my all every match. Hit by the finish, fine.... but THIS Match is for a WWE Title match at Mania. You're gonna have to kill me lol.

    That's how I rationalize certain things in wrestling.

    Unfortunately, the announcers now don't really sell that aspect enough.. How important some matches are compared to others.
    Last edited by LK3185; 5 Days Ago at 11:37 PM.

  21. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    669
    Based on things going on over on Raw, Stephanie could just come out right after Vince and over-rule him. Which... would add even more to absurdity.

  22. #62
    I definitely see AJ Styles costing Orton the match to further their Wrestlemania feud. maybe Rey Mysterio costing Joe the match as well. Don't know how Kofi beats The Bar without the rest of the New Day's help, though.

  23. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    I don't think in the gauntlet match it will also be a handicap match. Cesaro and Sheamus will likely have singles matches with Kofi. One of them will get beat, then he will beat down Kofi and the other will try to pick at the bones. That's when New days comes out.

  24. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    Welp. Kofi won the gauntlet but not the war. Vince had Bryan come out at the end and beat Kofi.

    So we still don't have a WWE Championship match set for Mania.

    Don't think we'll see another gauntlet, but something different to get Kofi that match with Bryan.

  25. #65
    Stephanie will probably override Vince's decision or something. Maybe Kofi faces Bryan and Rowan in a handikept match and wins. Either way, the title match needs to be made official next weekend.

  26. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    882
    I think Kofi will have to earn it again but i'm not sure on the details.. Maybe Vince has another hand picked guy... But then Steph or someone comes out to put a stop to it.

    I'd say use Cena but I don't think he'll come in for that.

    Like have Kofi put his career on the line too to get the match.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •