Solo: A Star Wars story (will contain spoilers)

I'm doing what we did for TLJ here. The other thread will be free to discuss Star Wars generally and will be free of the more recent spoilers, and then there'll be this thread here to discuss the new movie in as much detail as you like. In a few months time we'll merge the two.

It has already been seen by some people, at various festivals and things. Early reports sound overwhelmingly positive, with a few criticisms in parts.

i have not read anything on the movie yet, but I had to watch the trailer prior to A.I.W., but I have my tickets for next Thursday. I hope it's good....

Comes out Thursday next week here in Australia. Reviews look good and it will be cool to see something that is truly just a stand alone story in the Star Wars universe.

I just got back from seeing Solo, and I have to say that it was bland. Don't get me wrong, it was a good entertaining movie with tons of references to the original trilogy, but it felt like a made for TV movie. It did not feel like a "big" movie. It felt small.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Bland is the perfect review. I went to see it late last night and while there were elements to it and parts of the story I enjoyed, for the most part I was distinctly underwhelmed. I can totally see what Power means by calling it TV-movie like. Dare I say this is another instance of studio interference ultimately destroying a film because of the resultant need to blend two distinct creative visions?

On the downside, I didn't mind the simple and old fashioned adventure story, but I did think the writing was uncharacteristically poor for the Kasdans. Why introduce one set of characters in the first twenty minutes only to kill them all off for next to no effect (because we never get to know them, and because their deaths do not inform a single minute of the film thereafter)? Then to introduce us to a whole other set of characters thereafter, with whom we follow for the rest of the story...it was just weird.

I also thought it sucked how Han was basically a sidekick in his own film, and to various people. I never once felt like he was the driving force behind anything, but just reaction to what more important people were doing around him. Then there's the inherent issue with this and any other character-centric film set before the OT: the action had zero tension, because you know Han, Chewie, Lando and the Falcon are all going to survive regardless. The rest of the characters I didn't care enough about (primarily because everyone in the film excepting Han and Chewie were basically bad guys).

Lando's droid irritated the hell out of me every second it was on screen as well. Shrill, unfunny and annoying, I was pleased to see it get killed off relatively quickly. I'd watch Jar Jar over that droid any day.

Maul's cameo had me scratching my head more than anything - how it marries to where he is at the end of Clone Wars and where he is when we meet him again in Rebels best get explained with something pronto, because otherwise it's going to bug the hell out of me!

My biggest gripe, though, was the soundtrack. The OST to Rogue One did well to do its own thing but heavily invoke the spirit of John Williams and, by extension, Star Wars. Solo's soundtrack - with the exception of the Kessel Run sequence - was a hot mess that never seemed to match what was happening on screen and certainly didn't feel like a Star Wars soundtrack. It shocked me how much of the spirit of the franchise was lost as a result - I think it's a major reason as to why it felt so bland, actually.

But there was also a lot of aspects I really liked. I thought Alden Ehrenreich was absolutely excellent as Han. I felt like I was watching Han but never a Harrison Ford impersonation, so major kudos there. His chemistry with Chewie was great as well. So very impressed. I loved how they had Han and Chewie meet as well, and seeing that relationship start to develop was a lot of fun. I loved the entire Kessel Run sequence, and finally getting to see Han do something other than fly in a straight line or list lazily to the left to prove how good a pilot he really was proved to be very welcome. And we need to take a moment to appreciate Donald Glover's amazing showing as Lando - he felt more Lando than Billy Dee Williams at points! I kind of wish the entire film had been a Han / Lando buddy-up to be quite honest. Great chemistry there.

I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I was underwhelmed by it, but I'll be happy to revisit it on blu-ray, if not in any hurry.

I did think it was telling that it was opening weekend and there were only around 12 people in my showing, though.

Great thoughts there Plan and I will side with the main thought here, bland. It was just such a normal movie.

Was it a bad movie? Absolutely not, it had a fun cast of characters (although the point about introducing that band only to kill them off stands out), an exciting story and some cool action but when I left I felt like I had watched just a generic movie that happened to be set in the Star Wars Universe.

I'm so used to Star Wars movies being different, they have always had a certain kind of magic about them. Whenever I've left one I have always had so many thoughts buzzing through my head, questions that I wanted to answer, things I wanted to discuss with other fans. That was true when I was a boy watching the OT, a kid/teen watching the prequels and now an adult watching the New Trilogy and Rouge One however I walked out of Solo feeling absolutely nothing. It was like watching a Mission Impossible or Oceans movie, great fun at the time but nothing to really sink my teeth into fan wise or anything that would make it worth a re-watch.

I'm not sure what left it feeling like it didn't have the 'magic' of Star Wars, it could have been the lowering of the stakes from galaxy wide to far more personal, it could have been the removal of the force and the jedi/sith dynamic from the equation or it could have simply been how haphazrdly the Star Wars parts were implemented. However I have gone through old star wars books and video games with all those problems and never left with that feeling before so I'm going to lay it at the feet of the chracters and writing. Apart from Qi'ra the characters didn't feel focused, while the acting was great for them Lando & Han felt more like they were having their backstory boxes checked off than that they were actual living characters whose actions had consequences and the less said about Woody Harrelson's character the better. The appearance of Dath Maul at the end was just weird to me and Plan you are right in saying that they soundtrack is pretty bland compared to any other Star Wars.

They say that movies are getting more like TV shows, well if this was a TV show it would be episode 6 in a 12 episode season and if this was a colour it would be beige. This wasn't Star Wars killed off, this was Star Wars corpratised.