Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Brain
    Not surprising! What's the gist of it, Pete?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    From what I read, it was something about encountering the Whills - an idea in GL's earliest conceptualisations, back when Star Wars was sub-titled From the Journal of the Whills or some-such.

Rumours emerging today that Lucasfilm has called time on experimenting with unknown quantities in the directing chair and instead plugging for those proven in the field of big budget movie making. I'm also seeing that they've put a pause on the Star Wars Story spin-offs, potentially leaving the rumoured Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies in limbo. Pumped as I was at the idea of seeing Ewan McGregor back in the robes, I have to say that the latter rumours are like music to my ears.

The Wars universe is vast, and screen canon alone covers a period of 100 years. It's such a waste to just keep churning out cash-cows based on existing characters, rather than crafting something original and compelling.

Agreed, I am not mad at all with them potentially broadening their horizon beyond what is already known. Hopefully with a bit of creative energy they can finish off this current series and put Star Wars films in a place where they can introduce new characters and settings and it will still draw a big enough crowd to justify the expense.

There are so many great stories that I would love them to do a take on even if it changes some of the old legends cannon. The two I would most like to see are:
    - The Old Republic and the tales of the Mandalorian War and Jedi Civil War
    - Dath Bane and the implementation of the Rule of Two

Both of them inform the galaxy we see at the start of the current cannon but tell their own stories full of compelling characters and conflicts.

Anyone see the thing the other day when Chris McQuarrie was talking about the twilight zone and it's social commentary, Rian Johnson starting talking to him about it, a load of 'fans' (and I use the term incredibly loosely) started in an on the conversation, and McQuarrie finished by saying he'd have loved to have directed Star Wars but he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now. He's 'cured' of wanting to do that, he said. And also said he doesn't know how Johnson is still on Twitter.

It's... interesting, if the state of the franchise is such now that you're actually going to lose potential talent because people just don't want to be involved with it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    It's certain a sad testament to how toxic the fandom has become. Some incredibly ugly stuff out there.

Slightly late to the party, as it disappears from theatres near me tomorrow, so thought I'd watch it today.

I liked it, but don't love it. I agree with most of the sentiment here, a little bland. But enjoyable enough. Favourite moment was anything involving Lando. Worst was probably Qi'ra. Didn't relate to her in the slightest and was annoyed at not hearing anything about how she got to where she was 3 years later. It's just setting up for a sequel...

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Worst was probably Qi'ra. Didn't relate to her in the slightest and was annoyed at not hearing anything about how she got to where she was 3 years later. It's just setting up for a sequel...
    That is interesting, I thought she was one of the best characters in it. She gave Solo freedom and as a result had to become a pragmatist putting up a facade of cold in difference to everyone simply to protect herself.

I thought it was pretty clearly implied that she basically prostituted herself to the crime lord dude to gain his favour. Because it is Disney they aren't going to go into detail with that but to me it seemed clear.

Mmm, not so much for me, especially as right at the end she basically took over the reigns. I gathered that was part of it, the prostitution side of it, but because nothing was mentioned, and that scene where she says that Han didn't want to know what she had done, I felt there was more than that.

Maybe it's just me, but that character annoyed me the most. While unfair, it may just be also that Emilia Clark is slightly typecast. Can't help but think of Daenerys when I see her on screen.

Though a massive Wars fan myself I am often repulsed by the anger, arrogance and behaviour of a lot of the fan base.

In other news, rumours are now flying of there being flashbacks in IX, especially with Snoke, and that Abrams is wanting Ed Harris to play a young version of the character. How much truth there is in that I don't know, but I'd welcome some Snoke context - that remains the biggest part of VIII I just can't come to accommodate.

I also read they feel they've found a way to honour Carrie Fisher and bring Leia back, and frankly that fills me with a little bit of dread.

So I always said to 'Plan that I'd rewatch the first two prequels if they were ever on, since I hadn't seen either of them in... well, let's just say years. So I'd see how they bore up now that there's enough critical distance from those first reactions.

I've recorded Phantom Menace and either have recorded, or have set to record, Attack of the Clones. So yeah, it's finally going to happen....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Abrams said he’s planning on using footage of Leia shot during VII... no CG or anything like that, so hopefully that eases your mind some, ‘Plan.

I'm not sure if it does or it doesn't to be honest mate. Since you posted they've also said apparently that they're going to use footage from VIII as well.

I dunno, I feel like they might have been best placed having had her pass between films. Or would that have been a bit uncouth?

Nope. That’s exactly what I was hoping they’d do too. There’s no reason for us to see any vision of her from VIII. I’d honestly have preferred for them to simply say she passed away in between films and leave it at that.

I'm split on how to handle the Leia thing, because in many ways her character was too important to just "pass between" films, but I also don't want to force her into a story. Then again I'm sure her passing really messed up the script of the next story anyway. In many ways, even at the time, I wished they killed her character in the space scene and then left Luke alive to battle in IX. When I left the theater, I felt like Luke's story wasn't over, but Leia's story was once it was clear Kylo wasn't redeemable. But for where we are, I don't know, I have to see what they do. I'm very curious on how they handle it and I will be watching night one, just like I have for most the Star Wars movies since the re-releases in the 90's.

Disclaimer... I have not watched 8 yet. I don’t know where Luke is (mentally or physically) after the conclusion of 7 and Rey finding him on top of the mountain, therefore I know nothing of what he does or doesn’t do during episode 8. If the things I’ve read of episode 9 having Leia “flashbacks” so to speak... maybe it’s best left as Luke meditating or reaching out to the Force, and he sees these flashbacks in his mind and it builds upon the overall arc that finishes the story. Remember... Leia was the one that first reached out to Obi Wan in episode 4. Maybe it can be a throwback to that in a way. Or maybe... I need to go and watch episode 8 and develop a new theory. Whatevs...

I don't mind the 9 movies in production if Disney does it right, but here's the problem with everything, and I mean EVERYTHING Star Wars. This includes Lucas.

After Star Wars the original Trilogy came out, Lucas had fans so obsessed, people wrote books filling in the stories, they made comic books, they created a whole universe that was part of Lucus's story, but took it to levels no one person could ever take it. Many times the books made no sense within the construct of a huge Star Wars now Legends Universe, but people loved the stories. Once Lucas tried to do the prequels, first off they made no sense, it just felt like he wanted to play with GCI and do better fight scenes. But he could have never made the prequels better than what the fans already wrote. And he knew it once he was done. I wrote what the thought was his story, but by the time it was too late, he realized Star Wars wasn't his story anymore, the fans had taken it and made something that they liked better and he couldn't do anything about it. Him selling to Disney didn't surprise me, I remember going on the Star Tours ride at Disneyland growing up, and thought that Disney would give the franchise to long time fans and they'll make it better. Well they shit the bed and tried to make it something it wasn't, and again, not as good as the stories the fans already wrote for the post original trilogy timeline, and now fans are pissed off and not happy. The whole thing is a mess because people wrote off the fans and tried to make movies for the general audience. They basically are shoving Rey down people's throats like WWE is shoving Roman down wrestling fans' throats.

With the 9 "Anthology movies," I actually have some hope. If Disney give us something that the fans actually want, something that books and videos game didn't go in great detail over, something that is exciting and new, then I could see it making everything better. For example, a Yoda movie set when he was young, showing him using his full potential force powers. Even though the Solo movie flopped, I'd still like to see a Lando movie and how he came to power. Maybe the Great Sith Wars. If they leave the main characters alone and build on new ones. I think that's why Rogue One was accepted by fans. Rogue One didn't have the main characters, but instead built up new characters to show that the rebellion was bigger than just the Skywalkers and Jedi. About the only main character I would do a movie about, besides Yoda which would be 900 years before New Hope, would be Darth Vader when he first put on the suit. Not an origin story, or him upgrading the suit, but just him searching the galaxy for the last Jedi and slicing them up. Make him powerful, strong, show him at his most dominate. Disney has an opportunity if they can do it right.