Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 205 Live

It's not ideal behaviour but it's pretty mild compared to the stuff I'm guessing Mizfan was referring to, really. If that's the line you'd have to write off pretty much everything from any Kliq member just for starters, and doubtless a bunch more.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    Is it just me or are we having a sunny day today?

The Brain
    Haha, exactly. I haven't heard any other specifically bad stories, just that more than a few indy wrestlers didn't seem that surprised when he stuck his foot in his mouth with an immature comment. Then again, he is super young, so maybe that'll change with time as well.

So. I stay as neutral as possible on the 205 Recaps on the main page, but some things are starting to annoy me about the show.

They hyped Lio Rush's debut for a few weeks. And all he has is literally a 1-2 minute match. I'm sorry, I know squash matches have their place in wrestling, but this format that 205 Live have stuck to in recent months isn't something I'm enjoying. I got very little indication of what Lio Rush is like from that match, and it may be another couple weeks before we see him again.

The other thing that annoys me is the face:heel ratio is far too weighed on the side of the bad guys. There are a lot of really good characters on 205, but with so many heels in comparison to faces, the repetition of matches is becoming an issue.

There. I just had to get that off my chest.
    Latest podcast - click the pic for the link.

Dude you should do a 205 Take or something like that, bang it on at the end of your reports. It could be about the one show, specifically one character or the state of 205 Live in general. I personally would really like more editorial stuff on it, you are an engaging writer and were put up there off the back of that so why not add it on I say.

I get being neutral in the reports but you should have your say too, you are the 205 GUY.

To your comments, I get what you are saying, they really only have Alexander, Ali, Lucha House Party and Tozawa. Seems the time is finally right for Johnny Wrestling and Finn Balor.

More realistically what I think they need is something more than the one title to give the secondary matches a little more meaning. It looked like they were shaping up for a tag division earlier this year but it seems to have never come about. They are also missing some of the random story lines that kind of developed earlier in the show's history, the Noam Dar/Cedric Alexander/ Alicia Fox stuff for example, the Ali/Gullack matches were great or the fantastic Kendrick/Tozawa series. They don't have to be too dramatic but they just gave people outside of the title scene purpose and added meaning to the matches.

The Brain
    Love the idea of Clive adding his thoughts to his 205 recap. JCool does it, after all!

Thank you gents, I will look to add some actual review stuff as well as recap. I like an idea of an MVP of the week or something like that. But that would be unfair if only Ali and Gulak win it every week!

I will beef it up for this week.

I think an additional title would add some intrigue to the rest of the card as you say. Some multi man tag title of some description would go a long way. It would also make better use of the more established wrestlers on the roster.

Loved the most recent piece Clive. Great job

On the show, hell of a main event this evening between Ali & Murphy. They were very creative and restrained but still put on a match that was different to their previous meetings and appropriately brutal for the No DQ Stip. I have never heard a crowd chat "more stairs" before but they made it happen with thier usage of the steps. The also combined Ali being trapped in the ropes with Buddy's running knees and hit a massive Spanish Fly form the guardrail to the announcers table.

I also really loved the ending, I must admit when I saw the big steps come out I thought 'oh how predictible, Ali will hit the 450 onto them' but they eneded up finishing with an elevated DDT instead which certainly caught me by surprise.

Comfortably takes its place along with a few other quite creative No DQ 205 Live matches.

That main event was fantastic.

Thanks for the compliment Sam!

Yes I really enjoyed this match. I thought thr crowd were chanting "no more stairs"? Which I really don't understand, as the use of the stairs was really innovative for a change.

I think I might prefer their 1st two matches, but this 4th one was still a screamer.

These guys are up there with Gulak and Ali rivalry. Dare I say from an in-ring standpoint that it's better?

See I thought they started chanting that but then after the suplex off them they started chanting for more.

The obsession people have with tables in No DQ matches is something that has annoyed me for a while.

Anyway both are minor points, it was a fantastic match. I hesitate to say it is as good as Ali v Gullack but it has to be damn close. There has been some great rivalries on 205 just on the top of my head:
    - Ali/Gullack
    - Kendrick/Tozawa
    - Neville/Aries
    - Ali/Murphy
    - Alexander/Dar

The show is presented so well too with Drake Maverick. It’s a shame they can’t tape it before SmackDown. Even if it’s filming while fans enter the arena they will at least have more energy for guys they aren’t very familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The show is presented so well too with Drake Maverick. It’s a shame they can’t tape it before SmackDown. Even if it’s filming while fans enter the arena they will at least have more energy for guys they aren’t very familiar with.
    Yeah I agree, the crowd would be far more into it at the start, instead of coming down after the Smackdown Main Event. They would also help heat up the crowd for the start of Smackdown.

On tonight's main event, I really enjoyed it, a bit of a change of pace for Alexander but I liked how at the start both he and Itami seemed to be wrestling with something to prove and they kept that going throughout. The little bit of blood in Itami's mouth was pretty cool and at the end the two spinning backfists actually had me thinking they were going to give the belt to Itami.

Overall I'd like them to inject a bit more spice in to the Ali/Alexander situation. It is clear since Mania that Ali has shaded Alexander despite Alexander holding the championship, and Alexander said he wanted Itami so he could have a notch on his belt, to prove himself. I would love it if next week Ali challenged Kendrick or if they even bought back a vet for Ali to call out and try to one up Alexander. It isn't a very well fleshed out thought but it is one that I think could work into building a feud up with some more meaning between the two clear faces of the brand. It would stay a friendly rivalry but it would degenerate into a bit of a one upsmanship contents.

Not sure how it works with their characters but it is just me brainstorming an idea.

Alexander isn't visible enough for me. We already have the "special attraction" champion in Brock; I don't need another one in my beloved 205.

To me that says that they don't really have much of a meaty story for him to sink his teeth into. All the good stories are kept for Ali, Murphy, and now Itami.

The match with Itami abd Alexander was really good, probably my favourite of Itami's. It would be appreciated if Cedric was featured more. If anything, so he can work on some character.

The Brain
    I don't get it, it's not like they don't have good heels. Feels so easy to plug Cedric into something more interesting. Unless they think he doesn't have the character chops for it, in which case, get the damn title off him!

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I began watching 205 Live a few weeks ago and am kinda kicking myself for not doing it more regularly. I watch the Hulu version of Raw so I basically never get to see the Cruiserweight Division since they never show their segments there. I was really amazed by everything going on there. There's a lot of amazing talent and great characters in that show, and it's even revitalized a few careers like Buddy Murphy. I do agree that the timing of the show is a detriment - the crowds of the shows I've seen are pretty much dead. It's a shame, since the guys in the ring have been busting their asses for little to no reaction.

Given that the show is just one hour, it makes sense that Cedric Alexander isn't there all the time. But having the division's champ not appearing in other places like Pay-Per-Views is really crappy. Having Pay-Per-Views go back to both Raw and Smackdown will make it that much more cramped for time. It doesn't bode well for the show, to be honest. I even forgot he was champ until I saw his backstage encounter with Hideo Itami a few weeks back. That's a pretty big problem.

205 Live talent isn't even on Raw anymore ever since Trips took control of the booking. its basically its own brand like NXT but without Takeover specials.

I don't mind them not on RAW but they need be given a PPV spot. One lousy match won't hurt.

Shows how much I pay attention to Raw these days.

I had read before that having the 205 Live guys on Raw was a pain to everyone because they had to spend time changing up the ring, which seemed like such a stupid thing to do since they had to fill that air time with things people didn't want. If that continued to be the case then it's a good thing they're not on Raw anymore.

The 205 Live should get at least one Network special to showcase the bulk of the division. It's really a shame they don't do more with them outside one hour a week (besides house shows) in front of an exhausted crowd.

Degenerate, I like the idea of 205 getting a network special here and there. But that's a double edges sword.

The way the show works, being only 1 hour, stories take longer to conclude, which means it's probably booked weeks in advance. So if they were to do a network special, they would need to have more ideas conclude at the same time.

But. It works for NXT, so what's the problem there???

They don't necessarily need to have multiple angles either happening all at once or concluding at the same time. If they did the occasional Network special, they could create new feuds within the show or extend a hot feud even further for the next Special. Since they only have a one hour show per week, it would be pretty easy to keep a feud going for months while keeping it feeling fresh. Even if there weren't any long-running storylines I wouldn't even mind them just throwing people in matches with no build-up and let them at it. It worked great during the Cruiserweight Classic.

I don't know how they book 205 Live right now but it shouldn't be an issue to give them a two-hour special given the number of wrestlers they have not doing a whole lot right now. The Cruiserweight division is ridiculously deep. That's really my main desire for them having a bit more exposure - far too many talented guys not having a whole lot to do.

What concerns me a tad is the Fox deal for October 2019 onwards. I'm not sure 205 Live will still be recorded after SD when the megadeal happens.

With that in mind, I think a few network specials at Full Sail would be a good way to test the waters and see if moving the while product to Full Sail tapings is a viable option.