Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 205 Live

Lucha House Party gets the RAW callup? I’m happy for Dorado and Metalik but very random they are the first callups from 205 Live to be used as wrestlers.

My guess is Vince was like, "what ever happened to that little guy who looked like Rey?" Someone showed him Kalisto on 205 Live and they had all the party stuff and Vince was like, "I LIKE IT! Put them on Raw. And make sure they keep those donkeys with candy in them!" Basically that's what I envisioned in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    My guess is Vince was like, "what ever happened to that little guy who looked like Rey?" Someone showed him Kalisto on 205 Live and they had all the party stuff and Vince was like, "I LIKE IT! Put them on Raw. And make sure they keep those donkeys with candy in them!" Basically that's what I envisioned in my head.
    I read that in Bruce Prichard's impression of Vince and it made me laugh so damn hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I read that in Bruce Prichard's impression of Vince and it made me laugh so damn hard.
    Nice because that's how I wrote it. I will forever hear Vince in that voice in any story from now on.

Really cool tease with Alexander and Ali at the end of the show, even drew an audible gasp from the crowd.

But... but Ali win? Don't do it Cedric!

SO. It's been a long time since I was active in here. No fault but my own. So I thought I'd ease myself back in by reviving the 205 Live thread (where else??)

It's been an interesting time for 205 over the past few months. Inclusion of talent as managers on Raw. The seemingly permanent transfer of Ali to SD Live (stand up and salute your hero, people). Lastly, the upcoming acquisition of fresh faces on the show.

What are all your thoughts on these noteworthy instances?

Who would you like to see come to 205 Live?

Any thoughts as to who will answer Buddy Murphy's open challenge next week?

Pleased to see you back!

I'm a week behind on 205 but will join in when I'm caught up.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Thank you! Think I was spreading myself too thin in the LOPFs, so I will be here, just not here, there, and everywhere!

Thought both matches from last week were a strong 1st episode of 2019.

I get that. Still, if you feel like stopping by some of the music threads you were frequenting before hand, I'm sure that would be welcome.

I've always felt that if you're going to have a Cruiser title and take it seriously then top guys in the right weight class should want to win it. Obviously someone can step up to heavyweight a la Evander Holyfield, but you know who still has a little main event cred but who hasn't done anything for a while? Finn Balor.

So yeah, I'd like to see it rebranded the World Cruiserweight Championship and have guys like that showing willing to win it.

What did people make of Itami and Cedric?

I wouldn't say no to Finn Balor at all. I know that might not go down well with some fans who demand world title runs for all their faves. But Finn in 205 would certainly put more eyes on the product. Rebranding the title a world cruiser would be refreshing.

Cedric did get SOME offense in, but personally it was a very dominant performance by Itami. He showed little remorse throughout, which keeps with his character very nicely.

Of course, there was that falcon arrow onto the floor. That was oomph-tastic.

The more I see of Itami the more I like him. On NXT even after his heel turn he never hit the sweet spot for me but being put on 205 Live has really given him something to work with. Would love to see him take that title for a ride at some point.

Balor would be an excellent addition as would Xavier Wood I think it would be mutually beneficial in having some big time guys go down there but those two are in dire need of some kind of new direction too.

Same for me with Itami. Obviously injuries derailed any true greatness we may have seen, but he's come into his own on 205. That evil assassin character is portrayed so well through his choice of offense. I also feel that his mid-show squash matches were very effective at showing how relentless he can be.

Just checked there and Woods is exactly 205 lbs. I know he's on the shorter side, but he looks like he's packing more muscle than an armory!

How good would it be for the New Day and 205 if they were rocking that purple belt on TV every week?

Lol it would be pretty cool.

So I have mixed feelings about 205 returning to Tuesday nights.

Personally, I think this suits me. I do my podcast on Wednesday nights and either staying up later or getting up early to do the LOP recap column is VERY tiring. That, plus NXT and 2xNXTUK is a lot to catch up on.

However, there seemed to be more of a buzz about 205 when it was part of the Network Wednesdays line-up.

Also, do we know if it will still be recorded pre-SD? Or will it be live afterwards again?

My prediction that the show won't continue into 2020 looks possible again 🙁

I'm hoping they keep it pre-recorded before Smackdown for obvious reasons. It will still be played as part of that NXT lineup so it hoenstly doesn't lose a whole lot UNLESS they have to go on after Smackdown.

Ali was on Talk is Jericho this week and he said it was killing it stone dead - he talked about a time him and Davari had to follow Orton v Cena. I don't have a lot of love for either of those two at this point but he has a point, they are just so well known and the two guys coming on after are so much further down the totem pole no matter how good they are.

Sadly you may be right Clive, as much as I love the show it really just doesn't fit with the current developmental philosophy and despite being around for far less time NXTUK has already usurped it as the alternative to the alternative (if that makes any sense). There are so many things that just make it feel like the red headed step child: no women, no tag belts, no TakeOver styled showcase, they travel with the main roster but don't get any matches on their shows or crossover - which could be the one thing that sets 205 apart from NXT or NXTUK which are more or less stand alone brands as opposed to a 'division' as 205 is billed.

Let's hope at least a few of them find their way to safe pastures if that is the case.

I've seen this Humberto Carrillo guy in two matches this week. He's really good, but I don't know if it's going to work with him. I immediately noticed the issue that I saw with Alberto when he first came up from Mexico, and it's that he's almost too good and too graceful. His stuff doesn't look like it has a lot of "snap" on it.

I find that works well if you have two guys proficient in the lucha style, because when guys are moving fast enough you don't notice it as much, but seeing him with Gargano on NXT it almost looks like he's dancing more than trying to hurt his opponent.

You've possibly hit the nail on the head for one of the reasons why I didn't get into Carillo's match with Murphy, Farrell.

It does seem like a dance a bit. Those graceful leaps from the top rope were nice and all, but the impact was just lacking 100%. I think he works well with Raul Mendoza, but alone not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    You've possibly hit the nail on the head for one of the reasons why I didn't get into Carillo's match with Murphy, Farrell.

It does seem like a dance a bit. Those graceful leaps from the top rope were nice and all, but the impact was just lacking 100%. I think he works well with Raul Mendoza, but alone not so much.
    I caught it even more bingeing Fantasticamania shows yesterday. The grace that Caristico has in the ring looks spectacular (much like Carrillo) but when he's in there with a guy that's going to take a really solid, almost jumping bump off his springboard it look like it has a lot more impact. I can forgive Volodor's handspring back elbow looking like there's no impact when he hits the handspring into the ropes with so much force and he's moved on to something else quickly enough that I can barely digest it.

Funny you bring up Caristico and Volador cause they just had an outstanding match this morning on the final day of FantasticaMania. It has a little bit of everything you just described Coach, and it does work a lot better because Volador and Caristico are straight up aces at lucha. It's a damn shame people are only going to remember Caristico for that Sin Cara run (which, in fairness, was largely his fault) because the guy was at one point one of the best workers in the world AND arguably the biggest draw. It's great to see him get back to being both over these past few years; he just drew 16K to Arena Mexico a few weeks ago against Pentagon and is now having great matches in Japan again.

I loved the hell out of Fantasticamania. Haven't seen the final night because I finally had to get off my couch at some point yesterday, but the rest of the nights were awesome. Seeing 46 year old Ultimo Guerrero bust out a tope con hilo in the main with Mistico and Dragon Lee was nuts. I laughed because one of the guys I travel with often debuted a year or two after Guerrero but you aren't seeing him pull off that shit.

Lucha, when all involved can hold up their end, is without a doubt the most beautiful form of professional wrestling that there is from an aesthetic standpoint.

I have to admit that Carillo seemed a lot more at ease vs Gran Metalik. His offense seemed to have more oomph to it. And with some varying offense from his first match, we could see a nice variety to his game.

Moving on to Sunday, I have a feeling that Itami will run it close in the Fatal 4 Way. I'm hoping that this is the program leading into Mania. It would be interesting to see how the nonchalant Murphy deals with Itami, a man hellbent on destruction.

Watching this week's show now actually, am a little surprised that they have put Carillo in the title picture already

It has puzzled me, too. Part of me thinks with Ali on Smackdown, they don't have as many baby faces as they would like, as well as 3 of your baby faces (Lucha House Party) normally involved in tag team action or lesser feuds in general.

It's definitely a baptism by fire, considering how infrequently he was seen on NXT TV.

Spoilers ahead for the March 4th 205!

Man oh man, that main event was something special. I'm annoyed that Alexander advanced partly due to him already "having a turn". But Tozawa was unbelievable last night. He really deserved to go through!

So bummed, but elated with Tozawa's performance at the same time.

The Brain
    I keep wondering if they're going to do more with Tozawa. He's not underused on the level of, say, Gran Metalik, but he was a top guy in Dragon Gate and came in with some hype. He's such a great wrestler, I do hope they have something in mind for him. I know he's very close with Crews and Ricochet, among others, but I could see him possibly Itami-ing his way out eventually if he's not satisfied.

Possibly. He doesn't come across as a guy unsatisfied though. Maybe he's just good at putting a brave face on things. I don't know. I was just disappointed that Tozawa was thee MVP of that match by a long stretch and he didn't advance.

Again, this week, with Oney Lorcan getting in the majority of the offense (including a top rope half and half suplexes no less) and it was to no avail.

Nothing against Alexander, but some fresh faces at Mania would help things personally for 205.

The Brain
    For sure, I can't imagine trying to go back to Cedric again is a good idea.

Most of the stuff I've seen about 205 lately has had kind of a doom and gloom sound to it... how seriously should I take that?

Honestly, as a show it's been kicking arse recently. The tournament stuff is so good - Nese was a bit of a surprise winner for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing him vs Buddy as he really turned it on across the tournament.

I would say my only issue with it is that the roster could do with a bit of a refresh - the top of the pack hasn't significantly changed in the past couple of years.

The Brain
    Bit disappointed to hear it was Nese who won the tourney, I was never able to invest much in the guy. But it's fresh and I could see him potentially putting on a very good match with Murphy, so we'll see!

I would have preferred Oney winning the thing but its better than going with Ced again.

The Brain
    Agreed, not that high on Cedric. Also a big fan of Gulak but he's probably best to take it from whoever beats Murphy down the line.

It’s time to bring Gable in after Wrestlemania. I think in order to get a good singles run on the main roster he needs to kill it on 205 Live which I think he would.

Gable on 205 as the Malenko is something I've wanted since the moment they announced it. I want to see him mixing it up with these guys really, really badly.