Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 205 Live

205 Live

So 205 Live is probably my favourite weekly show on the WWE and we don't have anywhere to talk about it.

Let's start things off by asking this one: should Cedric Alexander have been given the Championship at Mania?

For me I feel like they made the decision before the tournament but didn't account for just how hot Drew Gullack and Mustafa Ali were going to make themselves throughout.

For me both of them are on a completely different plane to the rest of the division and it was so evident, particularly in the gauntlet match that the pair anchored. They both manage to put so much fire and passion into their matches whereas Alexander is a polished gymnast that leaves me cold (that is probably a little harsh but draws a picture).

I can see why they went with Cedric, he does seem to get bigger reactions than most. Though it's a bit of a crapshoot on what's going to get the bigger reactions at the moment, in my opinion.

That said, my guy is Drew Gulak. I enjoy his stuff more than pretty much anybody else and I think he can turn his hand to light hearted and serious stuff with equal aplomb. I also think he's probably the soundest of the guys getting the spotlight down there, which is more important to me than the range of your moveset.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 05-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I do think that, based on the way the build unfolded, they should have made the switch to Ali at 'Mania. From what I saw he seemed like the guy who was picked by the crowd as the tournament went on, and it would have been a nice crowning moment for him.

I also agree with Pete that Gulak is a guy they could really build around long term.

I think Gullack and Ali could have the center piece rivalry, they have actually been at odds with each other since the creation of 205 Live and they were both fairly low on the totem pole. The character ideologies of freedom v control work so well against one another and they have insanely good chemistry in the ring.

Outside of those two I think Jack Gallagher has real potential too, his work with Kendrick has been fantastic.

I've also loved Hideo Itsmi's run of late, the guy has developed an aura of surly viciousness that is pretty cool to see.

Yeeehaaww! A 205 Live thread. I have to keep my opinions pretty neutral and diplomatic for the results columns I do, so I'm going to be a bit more critical in here.

To answer your question Sam, no, Alexander shouldn't have won. The reasons why have been articulated above, so I won't reiterate.

It is a toss up between Ali and Gulak for me as to who should have been crowned at Mania. Ali was the hot face all the way through the tournament for me. But in hindsight, it might have been interesting to see Gulak as champ.

We know from Neville's reign that an all-conquering heel champ was a decent formula for 205, as it opened up an opportunity for the "challenger of the month" model so that a variety of faces could get over by trying to defeat Gulak (who can be an organic heat magnet when he wants to be).

Also, Ali has had Gulak's number since he beginning. It would have been interesting seeing Gulak be the first of the two to become the champ, and have Ali on the chase for 1-2 months. We know they have chemistry. It would have been great.

But we are where we are today. And I'm unsure how others feel, but I would love it if Murphy beat Alexander next week. Murphy has a dangerous aura about him. You don't know what he's going to do next. He has the weight advantage to couple with his deceptive agility. I would be all for Murphy as #1.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

The Brain
    I could see it going to Murphy to Ali to Gulak, that could take care of most of the year right there if done well. Maybe back to Ali a while after, at next 'Mania? Unless someone else gets in the mix. Lots of possibilities.

Yes that would be a good chain of champs to keep the show going for a good while. I think Ali and Gulak definitely deserve it.

I know I'm thinking way way ahead. But with SDLive apparently moving to Friday nights as part of their multi squillion dollar mega deal, what do you think that means for 205 Live?

The Brain
    I don't think they necessarily have to change anything. I heard a rumor that SD may go to 3 hours but I don't think that would work with the way the Fox primetime/affiliate time is done, so they can stay on the same tour easily if needed.

Please don't kill off your best show WWE.

I kind of want Buddy Murphy to take the title just to hear Plan's reaction but worry about how he would do as champ.

He would also be the first ever Aussie champ.

The Brain
    I thought Buddy was doing real well now? Haven't seen much of him lately but I heard good things, much better than his NXT tag days.

I like him but I think he is closer to Alexander on the Ali-Alexander scale when it comes to how he wrestles a match.

Just to put it out there because I don't think I've said a good thing about him yet, I actually do like Alexander and until the tournament I would have said he was the best guy to take the belt (at least on the face side). He is really good in the ring and there are kids in the crowd that really dig him too, I just think Ali is far better because he can do the flashy moves but uses them as an expression of his character and to tell a story. I maintain that his match with Gullack was one of the best so far this year, I loved it so much I wrote a 2000 word review about it and I couldn't see myself Even being able to dig that deep for any Buddy Murphy or Cedric Alexander match.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-23-2018 at 03:15 AM.

The Brain
    I think that's very fair. Cedric is a great athlete and fun to watch, but I do think there's potential to do something more than that with the CW title now.

I'd be interested in hearing 'Plan's thoughts on Murphy actually. Doc sang his praises on his podcast a week or so ago based on the element of danger he brings to the table.

Im starting to think the title may indeed change hands. With the dual branded PPVs, it will become harder and harder to fit a CW Title match on the card. And there is also that "curse" of a wrestler in their home town to consider for Alexander next week too. Colour me excited.

The Brain
    I really hate that hometown curse thing. It'd probably make more sense for Cedric to get a hard fought win over Murphy, then drop it straight to Gulak in the near future. Send the hometown crowd happy and go straight to someone hotter. I feel like WWE won't go that way though.

I'm really unsure of tonight's match outcome.

There is the whole hometown curse thing. But is that a factor when it comes to title defenses/opportunities? Would need to do the maths on that one.

Maybe I'm working myself into a shoot, but was there any truth to Murphy missing weight requirements a few weeks back? Probably not, but if it is a concern then I have two things to say regarding that. 1) Why would you give someone whose weight fluctuates the title? And 2) much live to the man, but I think Gran Metalik should be asked to step on the scales!

I am 99% sure that the weight requirement thing is all a story. I remember when the original CWC was on they said tony Nese had to cut weight to make it to 205 and they have never done anything like that with him.

I thought that would be the case. I just hope it isn't something they fall back on too often with Murphy. He's built enough of a character in 205 as a sort of rogue element, that they shouldn't have to remind us of the weight stuff.

The Brain
    Yeah, I think they were serious about the weight stuff for the CWC but since then it's been more of a work. That's my impression, anyway.

Now having fond memories of Matt Hardy stripping down to just barely make the CW weight back in the day, haha.

Haha that's right! Weren't there skits with him wearing that solar panel looking silver shellsuit???

That also reminds me of Bull Dempsey's "Bull Fit" regime which was silly but got Dempsey over. For a little while anyway.

The Brain
    Haha, yes!! Loved that little arc. Was never crazy about Bull though, even with the funnier gimmick.

He was never my favourite, but I enjoyed that few month stint for the cheap laughs.

So are we all caught up on 205 Live from last night (in case you haven't, here's my review - cheap plug).

I'm really intrigued to see where things are going with Drew Gulak officially aligning with Kendrick and Gallagher. First port of call will obviously be some trios matches vs the Lucha House Party. Interesting to see what lies ahead.

As for the title match, it was as good as one would expect. Murphy's character continues to shown intelligence in his gameplan, this time honing in on Alexander's back for the majority. He impresses me more every week and although he's "jumped the queue" as it were, it would be great seeing him with the title. Maybe some point soon.

With no clear cut contender on the cards, I'm going to (again) suggest that a MITB style match for the Cruiser title takes place on the PPV's preshow.

The Brain
    I've seen a few people on twitter suggest that they make a CW Trios Championship, and honestly it isn't the worst idea. You'd have pretty much a surefire spotfest killer every time it was on, at the very least.

CW MITB would probably be nuts. Not sure if it might be overkill but I wouldn't complain if they decided to go that way.

Damn that was a good show. I'm totally down for those three aligning. They are all highly skilled, intelligent workers and have a mean streak to them, great heel faction with no clear weak link.

Really enjoyed the main event too and was stoked to see the crowd was so into it. I wish Alexander wouldn't do so many handstand off the ropes moves, they are fun every now and again but start to look silly when he uses them over and over again. Still bloody good match.

A Cruiser MITB would be a barn burner, particularly for spot fest fans but I doubt they will let them get that kind of chance to potentially show up the main roster.

Sam, I though of you when the 3 of them headed back up the ramp and how you called this a month or 2 ago. Well done!

I did enjoy the main event, but you are right in that Alexander is kind of becoming a 5 moves of doom kind of guy. Those handstand springboards lose their importance if used as often as a working punch. Also, he seemed to shake off the gruelling back pain he was suffering to hit those, which annoyed me a tad. Many don't sell a chronic injury when a big move is required, but his back was being worked over big time and it meant nothing.

I would love a trios division Mizfan. The tag division doesn't deem to be coming to official fruition by way of tag belts, so maybe this is something they can explore. They would need a couple more teams to really flesh it out.

The Brain
    They love signing people like crazy anyway, so it'd be easy to fill it out. Could probably do it with the guys they have on hand too, if they really wanted to.

TJP, Ari Davari & Tony Neese could make a team.

The story that's started with TJP just now seems to suggest he doesn't feel there is any competition on the show right now (even though he isn't the champ and loses in tournaments and #1 contendership matches - hashtag wwe logic), so I'm not sure TJP would be down with that in a kayfabe sense.

Can the more indie wrestling fans in here tell me if they think it would be a good use of Spud/Maverick if he were used in matches now and again? For instance if the TJP vs GM angle gets physical?

The Brain
    I love Spud as a wrestler, so I would absolutely love to see him mix it up occasionally. He's so good as a character I wouldn't want to lose that aspect, but he brings his character work to his matches and always does tons of little things that blow me away.

If anybody has never seen this, I highly recommend it. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of my favorite matches ever.

EC3 vs. Rockstar Spud

Thanks Mizfan. Knew I could rely on you for some indie goodness!

I'll check this out at some point soon. ��

So Lio Rush is going to be on the 205 live brand. Really enjoying the show but they would really benefit from taping before, not after smackdown I feel.

I suppose the issue is they still wouldn't be performing in front of a full crowd with fans choosing to turn up later.

The Brain
    Doesn't that kind of happen anyway, if fans decide to start leaving after Smackdown?

Kind of surprised Lio Rush is skipping NXT TV. There were plenty of reports of him having a bad attitude a while back, so you'd think they wouldn't jump him straight up. Then again, maybe 205 Live isn't considered much of a jump.

I think part of it is probably they don't see Lio as a guy to build for main roster maybe? I'm convinced Ricochet is going to the main roster for example and not 205 live.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Doesn't that kind of happen anyway, if fans decide to start leaving after Smackdown?
    Just think a start of the night crowd even if it's still depleted would be more engrossed

Yeah, I would say Lio Rush moving to 205 Live is more of a side jump, rather than a jump forward.

I was surprised at the news, what with the heat he apparently had with his tweet over Emma being released.

205's long term future is in question what with the Fox TV. With that in mind, I don't see the harm in at least trying to put them on before Smackdown. They more often than not have a very good main event match which would have the crowd pumped.

Lio Rush makes his debut tonight. I haven’t watched in a while but I know the quality has been good according to several I trust. I may have to start again.

Hate to say it, but I don't like Lio Rush. Mostly due to him being a jerk towards Emma when she was released. Hope he gets jobbed out in no time.

The Brain
    There are plenty of stories of him having a bad attitude, but if we disliked every wrestler who wasn't a good person, we'd be pretty damn limited. In the ring I've liked Lio to a certain extent, though as you might expect he can be very spotty. I'll be curious to hear how he does.

I've never even heard of the guy, I'm about to check out 205 Live so I'll post a first opinion after I've seen him.

Post view EDIT: Well they didn't show much, he is obviously a cocky athlete filled to the brim with natural skill, speed and power. It is hard to say too much based on the quick appearance but seems they are following the same simple character formula that has worked so well for the rest of the show.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-27-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    There are plenty of stories of him having a bad attitude, but if we disliked every wrestler who wasn't a good person, we'd be pretty damn limited. In the ring I've liked Lio to a certain extent, though as you might expect he can be very spotty. I'll be curious to hear how he does.
    Yeah, but you don't make fun of the fact that someone lost their job. Especially someone who was as passionate about it as Emma. Being "fired" and "released" is not something you poke fun at.