Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charlotte Flair

I think that the Smackdown women's title is the opener and Becky gets screwed somehow, only to be put into the Rumble and then she wins it to face Rousey.

Charlotte Flair reminds me of Alberto Del Rio in terms of character. There’s nothing wrong with her and she’s very good at everything but she’s just not likable or easy to watch and the WWE just seems to want to place her in positions she shouldn’t be in.

To fix her, she needs to give others time in the spotlight like the other women do. Constant over exposure is exhausting.

You might have a point, people really got behind her in NXT but you only saw someone about once a fortnight then. Much harder to be over-exposed.

I really hate Charlotte. Not good heat, like a heel is supposed to get, but get off my screen and go away heat. The only reason I watch her now is waiting for Becky to show up.

For those of you who remember, I would rather watch ADR.

I think she's good. She's way better in this role as a privileged, entitled woman who believes opportunities should be handed to her because she's a Flair than she was as a face, and I'm glad we're getting there with her.

She was probably part of three of the best women's matches in NXT - the Fourway at Rival, vs Bayley at Fatal 4-Way, the triple threat number one contenders match. Some would argue that the Natalya bout should be in here - far from my list, but I appreciate people like it. So that would make four.

And it doesn't even reference her main roster work with Asuka, Sasha, Becky, the Mania Triple Threat and so on.

If you'd rather watch ADR, that's your prerogative Powder. But ADR was far, far worse in every aspect of both professional wrestling and Sports Entertainment than Charlotte has ever been, in my opinion.

If you take Charlotte's matches out of the equation, which she is very good at and I do enjoy watching, everything else about her is so damn annoying. Her over make-upped look, her condescending attitude, and the constant overpush from Vince. I know anyone would take the push and support from Vince, but there is just something about her that really makes me want to turn off my TV.

Rocky was a cocky arrogant heel.
    Her father Flair was that.
    Angle had the holier than thou attitude in his beginnings
    The Miz had the "I'm better than you" attitude

This type of "attitude" that Charlotte has is not new, but there is something about her, and what she says and the way she says it that turns me, at least, and I know I'm not alone, off. I am all for heels that get over. Charlotte right now is acting and saying the same things as Stephanie did for years, but now it's ok b/c Charlotte is saying them? N0. Just go away and get off the screen, or turn it down.
    Last edited by Powder; 02-27-2019 at 10:47 AM.

I agree with Powder. I can't stand Charlotte and that's because of how overpushed she is. How many title reigns has she had in the 3ish years that she has been on the main roster? All because her name ends with Flair. Look at Emma (Tenile Dashwood). She didn't get any title reign at all and she was good in the ring and her heel character was great. Plus she is better looking than Charlotte. Sasha Banks hasn't had a credible run with one of the main womens titles, either. The overpush is what turns people away and makes them resent and dislike the performer, and not the good kind of dislike.

Isn't the overpush, though, what is now being used to inform the character into entitled and above everyone? I think they've done well to make that into a character arc, and to identify the entire reason why the attempt at turning Becky heel opposite a face Charlotte failed miserably.

To me, she's got this character set off perfectly - her promo last night was amazingly pitched, too, playing up that she thinks Vince is making the right decision by taking Kofi out of the FastLane main event for Owens (which is buttering up the person giving her the opportunities), playing in that she's the company woman so deserves the opportunities, and then ending up with her being entitled to hold the Raw women's title. It's the perfect condescending, entitled heel, almost exactly where I wanted to see WWE take Reigns when I thought they might turn him heel actually.

It's excellent promo work, and there's nothing in there that's really like Stephanie putting the whole roster down whenever she turns up (which she does a lot less now, notably). Charlotte's positioning herself above others in her own mind, but they're her direct rivals and she will get comeuppance eventually.

I don't disagree that she was (and possibly still is) overpushed, but I like where they've run with that in the current character and storyline.

Basically, the current attitude, which you are against, and the overpush, which you are against, are both in line with her character now and intentional attributes of the character - so you're essentially against her for the reasons WWE want you to be against her.

Everything y'all are describing sounds like heat to me. It's not turn off the TV heat unless you actually turn the TV off.

Also, what Oli said.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but the only reason I did not turn off the TV was because I clearly thought that Becky was showing up. BUT if I knew she wasn't then I would have changed the channel, like I did when ADR came on TV or when Lio Rush does.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Again, I can only speak for myself, but the only reason I did not turn off the TV was because I clearly thought that Becky was showing up. BUT if I knew she wasn't then I would have changed the channel, like I did when ADR came on TV or when Lio Rush does.
    You may also speak for me in that regard. Literally, the only reason why I watch anything with Charlotte in it is to see if Becky shows up and what she may do next. Otherwise, I'll either take a piss break or not pay attention to whatever is going on.

I'm not a Charlotte fan at all but what bothers me is she's still on Smackdown when all the angles with Becky and Ronda are on Raw. I care about what Asuka is doing with the SD title, not Charlotte's response to Becky when we could have that on RAW the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I'm not a Charlotte fan at all but what bothers me is she's still on Smackdown when all the angles with Becky and Ronda are on Raw. I care about what Asuka is doing with the SD title, not Charlotte's response to Becky when we could have that on RAW the next week.
    This is an issue that I may have touched on here, or maybe I said it to some other people on a discord server. In all honesty, it should be Becky Lynch going after Ronda and Charlotte feuding with Asuka heading into Mania. Should let Asuka redeem her loss to Charlotte last year at Mania. Hell, even their second 1v1 match ended in a DQ win for Asuka 2 nights before TLC so Asuka never really got redemption. Instead, we are getting Charlotte involved with Ronda and Becky (which most people would prefer to stay 1v1) while Asuka more than likely gets challenged by Mandy Rose (I could honestly see this match being on the pre-show).

The SD title is so irrelvant to storylines that they set up the Mandy/Asuka match for Fastlane with a youtube vid. Not blaming Charlotte for it, because even though I would prefer her to wrestle Asuka at Mania, it made sense to give Becky another obstacle because of how WWE does things. They weren't going to have Ronda/Becky trade promos for two months straight.

Just put all 3 on Raw and promote that match. So the SD champion can get on her own show.

Anyone think the angle with Charlotte will do what they need in the short term but hurt her appeal over the longer stretch?

it has already killed her appeal. She is really, really, unappealing in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong Sundae View Post
    Anyone think the angle with Charlotte will do what they need in the short term but hurt her appeal over the longer stretch?
    She's not a good face. So her heel appeal is what it is. I just hope they don't force another face run anytime soon

Of course Vince will, because he thinks that Charlotte is the entire Woman's division.

Charlotte's best as a heel but I don't believe the current angle will lessen her appeal any more for those already turned off by her. Her name has built in marketability. Plus she's good all around. Makes sense she would be involved in the prospective first women's main event at WrestleMania.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Apparently Ric Flair underwent a surgical procedure today. Details were not announced, but I have an inside tip that it was to attempt to permanently remove Charlotte from his coattails.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.

So Charlotte is now an 8 time champion in less than 4 years on the main roster. That is disgusting. 8 f'n times she has held a Major title.

The current story line with the WWE title is that Kofi and the New Day had to jump through hoops just to get Kofi his well deserved and earned title shot at Mania, but Vince just inserts Charlotte into Becky's match, and then just out of no where she gets a shot at Asuka and wins the f'n title.

How can the rest of the women's roster not be really pissed off at this?

• Charlotte is an now 8 time champion is less than 4 years
    • She was inserted into the main even of WM due to simply being a Flair
    • She gets yet another shot at the SD title and wins it
    • Now Charlotte gets to walk into WM in the main event of Mania as a champion
    • The rest of the women are relegated to a battle Royal as a complete after thought
    • After Mania Lacy Evans (who I predict will win the Rumble) will be elevated to face Charlotte, thus pushing aside everyone else.

If I was a member of the women's roster, I would be pissed off, because it is as clear as day that Vince gives 0 fucks about the rest of the division and it is only about Charlotte. I would be asking for my release and calling up AEW or Impact and trying to get out of the WWE as there is no way that anyone else will ever be given an opportunity.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:53 AM.

Because it's in freaking character - jeez, do you even watch the shows? The whole point of Charlotte's character is that she gets handed opportunities because of her name, it's why she's in the Mania main event, why she had the title match last night, and why it all ties together against Becky who has had to fight for the opportunity.

On the other side, you've got Kofi running a quasi-'WWE is racist' storyline that they're subtly alluding to, so of course he's being 'held down'.

Yes I watch the shows, and yes it's her character, but NO the WWE does not have to constantly shove her down our throats. lesnar is pushed to the moon, but at least he is off screen more than on to not be sick of him. Charlotte has passed Reigns in the chosen one status.

But I stand by my assessment, If I were a female on the roster I would be looking for a way out.

I'd be looking at other options too but not really because of Charlotte but because they keep signing so much talent but they don't make that many stars out of them because they barely use them compared to the male talents still.. There's gotta be like over 50... to 75 women contracted and how many of them really get used? 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Because it's in freaking character - jeez, do you even watch the shows? The whole point of Charlotte's character is that she gets handed opportunities because of her name, it's why she's in the Mania main event, why she had the title match last night, and why it all ties together against Becky who has had to fight for the opportunity.

On the other side, you've got Kofi running a quasi-'WWE is racist' storyline that they're subtly alluding to, so of course he's being 'held down'.
    This seems like a complete cop out argument just to be "okay" with Charlotte being shoved down our throats. Doesn't matter if it's her character. It doesn't make us any less sick of her being shoved down our throats.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    This seems like a complete cop out argument just to be "okay" with Charlotte being shoved down our throats. Doesn't matter if it's her character. It doesn't make us any less sick of her being shoved down our throats.
    Couldn't agree more.

I just posted this in the Live TV thread, because it was relevant to that discussion, but I will re-post here because it belongs, and is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Anyone can argue all they want, but Charlotte (Ashley Elizabeth Fliehr) will always be granted opportunities simply because of who her father is. Just look to what the main page is reporting, the ESPN graphic of her had the caption "the daughter of Ric Flair" and she correctly criticized them saying that ESPN should have put "8 time champion". BUT, Charlotte, honey, you will never get out of the shadow if Ric Flair until you stop using him as part of your gimmick. Your entrance music is a reworking of his, your ring gear/robe, your promos about your lineage etc. If Charlotte wants to be looked upon as Charlotte, then stop advertising yourself as Ric Flair's Daughter.