Thread: Samoa Joe

Samoa Joe

In spite of the WWE having him lose every feud he has been in so far on the main roster Joe has still maintained his popularity and still looks like one of the baddest men on the WWE roster.

My question though where does Joe land in Smackdown? He currently seems to be a bit of an odd many out of the main event scene.

He may end up feuding with Styles after the Nakamura nonsense.

Or have him take the IC Title off Hardy. Give Joe a title run already.

Yeah I could dig him as a US Title holder although as a heavyweight who has been holding his own across from Lesnar & Reigns it would seem like a demotion to not be going for the WWE Title.

Crazy how once AJ is done with his old NJPW foe he can move onto his even older sparing partner from TNA.

Styles/Joe and Nakamura/Joe are the ways to go, I suspect. At least from NXT we know that Joe and Nak can go at it and deliver - although we all thought that about Nak and Styles too.

Those three plus Miz should be who the Smackdown main event is being built around right now. Assuming they're not going to finally commit on Cesaro, that is - and boy howdy I'd like to see Cesaro/Joe, Cesaro/Styles, and Cesaro/Nak soon.

The Brain
    Am I the only one who thought those Joe/Nak matches from NXT were kind of a drag? I would be curious about Joe/AJ though, and Joe/Bryan is something that I think potentially could be really great.

I didn't think they were the best thing ever, entertaining but the title of Samoa Joe V Shinsuke Nakamura certainly felt like it should have been better.

I'm a huge Samoa Joe fan but there's something that annoys me about his matches in WWE. It's not that they're bad matches.. its that they are too long and WWE has to force that style on him. The Reigns match was a trainwreck... but mostly because it went 15 mins too long in a spot it never should have gone that long.

What I'm getting at is, people will say Samoa Joe is done as a top guy... and I'm like yeah, he can't do things he used, he's older but they also don't play to his strengths as a killer. He could do what Brock does, way better if they let him. He could also be in a great tag team but no, we have to force him into the tired main event style. That hurts talent.

The Brain
    I do still think people have unrealistic expectations of Joe at times. He's just never going to be as good as he was in his prime, though he's rebounded more than I expected him to, I'll admit. I don't know if match length is exactly the issue but style is a big one, and I agree playing to his strengths also plays a factor. His promos are intense, and sometimes he can tear into a guy like he tried to do with Brock last year, but then sometimes his stuff falls below expectations. I don't know if it's what he can do or what he's asked to do, maybe a bit of both.

I so hope Joe is the guy that gets the MITB. Having him carry it around will be like a giant thunder cloud ready to break constantly hanging over whoever is champion.

I could even see him go to the ring, beat the champ down and not cash in just to create even more fear.

The Brain
    I actually really like the idea of Joe holding it. He definitely feels like he could hit the ring, slap on a submission, and win the title any time, but he's not so hot that he'd be a waste of a case, like Miz or Strowman could arguably be.

I got to thinking recently how much money Joe would have made in the territory days. Come in, booked like a monster, win local title, hold it for a few months, drop it back to babyface, quick string of losses around the region, move, rinse and repeat.

His shtick would have been perfect for that system.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I've heard a lot of talk about Joe taking on AJ at Summer Slam. Gotta say it is something I would be up for. What do you guys think the odds on a Joe championship run?

Personally I think he would be a nice change of pace as it would make the main event scene a 'challenge'. AJ is great but he is a beatable guy who rises to the occasion. Joe is a destroyer though who is constantly dangerous and always a challenge. He would be a great brick wall to throw some of the younger guys at to give them a shot in the spotlight.

I'm all in on Joe vs Styles. To be honest, it might be the only interesting thing they could do with both guys right now, unless they cued up Miz vs Styles (which I'd be 110% into).

The Brain
    Man, the idea of Joe vs. Styles being a big Summerslam match is surreal as shit, even now. If you had pitched that 5 years ago, you'd be laughed out of the building.

Part of it is because its WWE.. where it would feel somewhat fresh.. I wish we had 05 Joe vs. like 2012 Styles.. now that would be amazing.

The Brain
    Oh for sure. Man, if we had '05 Joe, anything would be possible.

I remember watching that triple threat match with AJ and Daniels and just having my mouth hanging open after seeing Joe flying around as well as either of them.

So to ask the question that kick-started the old Joe thread, is he basically a gatekeeper in the WWE or is he going to get to be the guy for a decent run himself?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

All Indications i've seen are that Joe isn't winning tomorrow in Australia which i think is the wrong decision. So I don't think he's getting a title run but he'll always be in that upper midcard role.

Yeah, AJ is keeping the title warm for The Miz. Joe could have a great title reign if given a chance but I don’t see management giving it to him.

Possibly a “thanks for being a super cool guy and always doing the job when we needed you to, so here’s a throw away title reign ala Kane circa 2010”?

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Possibly a “thanks for being a super cool guy and always doing the job when we needed you to, so here’s a throw away title reign ala Kane circa 2010”?
    To be fair, though the Kane title reign in 2010 was pretty good. Kane actually got 3 wins over Taker (one of them being clean), which I don't even think Kane got 1 win over Taker back in 1998 (barring that sketchy one for a title shot).