Irvine Welsh/Hunter S. Thompson

I've never read Trainspotting but I've read Acid House and it was completely f**ked up. Some really bizarre (possibly) real life kind of scenarios happen in the book that just make me think what the F**k is this world coming to.

I don't even think Trainspotting is that good of a film to be honest. It's ok, but if I want to watch a film adaption about drugs I'll go with Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing Las Vegas, which I have read and it's a great book. The film briefly touches on Thompsons 60s experience but the book goes into more detail.

I've got the Rum Diaries book, but I hardly read (or even can read) these days.

What I don't like about Welsh's style is that it's all doom and gloom with drugs. Thompson is miles more lighthearted and there's a touch of comedy in his work.
    Last edited by The Dude; 1 Week Ago at 12:22 PM.

I've read a few Welsh books. Acid House is indeed crazy. The stories do seem far fetched, but coming from Scotland and knowing the culture at the heart of the stories, it is not that far fetched at all.

Have you read Filth? I thoroughly recommend it. And again, coming from Scotland, the dialogue and "patter" is golden.

I probably wouldn't read it if someone gave it to me. I really don't read anymore, and like I tried to explain, don't like Welch's work.

That's fair enough. It certainly is a very dark that very much overshadows the humour.

I haven't read any Thompson, plus I actually wasn't a fan of the Fear and Loathing film. They know what they say about books being better than the film, so I might give it a bash at some point.

Don't read it. If you didn't like the film you won't like it.