Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tommaso Ciampa - The Hero We Deserve

I saw that thread about Johnny Wrestling. Had to make sure the hero of the story has a thread.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

The greatest sports entertainer in the world.

Everything they've done with him since his injury return has been spot on. As the say, it takes two to tango, and for me he's been as big a part of Gargano's success story this year as the man himself has been. And yet, it feels like he's being overlooked in it all.

If the main event of Chicago what I think it may be, he may end up getting his due.

The stuff he does on twitter is so good. The fact he spoiled Infinity Wars was just too perfect.

The Brain
    I never thought of Gargano as a potential big star before his WWE run, but I loved Ciampa from the first time I saw him in 2015 and I think the fact that he's getting the chance to hit his full potential is fantastic. He's been just as good as Gargano in this story and hopefully will continue to get a big spotlight for a long time to come.

If people want to know why we all want him to succeed, go to his twitter page. He's the new age "heel" we need.

The Brain
    What I like even more than his twitter antics (which are very entertaining, for sure) is that he's a bad guy because of the actions he's taken, because of his history. I worry when he comes up to the main roster because history is not allowed up there, but what else is new?

I really got a kick out of when Candace said 'I don't know who you are any more' on the most recent NXT, a lone voice in the audience called out 'neither do we'.

Awesome.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

What do we think of Ciampa as champ?

I'm interested who he goes up against now Black is legit injured and Gargano is kayfabe injured, there aren't a whole lot of faces floating around NXT really ready to step up to the championship level.

I think I know who... but they wouldn't.

No way is he ready for the kind of fire Ciampa would bring. If Ricochet and EC3 got in his head then Ciampa would positively melt him.

That said given his character it could be a cool story that he goes up and just bites off way more than he can chew. Elements of the community would crap on it and say he got 'squashed' but it would set an interesting measuring stick in his history for him to one day come back and surpass.

Dream fronting up to Ciampa to complete a full 'face' turn, if you like, would be great.

Having him lose and then come back 5/6 months later on and win would be even better.

Let Dream rule NXT with a beautiful velvet fist. Have him hold that title for longer than Balor and be twice as interesting as he ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Dream fronting up to Ciampa to complete a full 'face' turn, if you like, would be great.

Having him lose and then come back 5/6 months later on and win would be even better.

Let Dream rule NXT with a beautiful velvet fist. Have him hold that title for longer than Balor and be twice as interesting as he ever was.
    Couldn't agree more. He should lose at first, then have to go back to the drawing board, but I can see him reign for a full year and still be popular and fresh. He needs that kind of experience holding a belt. Cena started to get boo'd months into his first reign because he didn't know how to carry a promotion. Let Dream carry the promotion for a year, let him get use to being the face that runs the place!

Ohno has been piling up some wins lately. It may not be a Takeover match but I could see him emerging to get a title shot.

Ciampa is now the longest reigning NXT Champ since Balor in 2015/16

Keep it going. I love how he holds ‘Goldie’ when walking to the ring.

Ciampa will be out for the foreseeable future while he has neck surgery.

Aw man, that fucking sucks. I hope Ciampa can come back from this, but selfishly I'm pissed because I thought we were gearing up for a Mania weekend Ciampa vs Gargano bout which would have been off the charts.

I assume he's going to drop the title now - maybe they'll throw the script out of the window and do a one night tournament on Mania weekend or something? It certainly seems like this neck issue was something Ciampa was dealing with and they were trying to get him through Mania weekend to drop the title to Johnny, but I would have thought there are plenty of other directions they could take it in.

I think I'd give Adam Cole a title run.

The Brain
    I know people think he's charismatic, but Ciampa to Cole seems like such a big step down to me...

Really sad for Ciampa, he's been a highlight to me every time I've seen him even above Gargano. I hope he can come back strong with some good years left, though sounds like it's pretty serious and I know he's been pretty beat up for a while now.

Is it too soon to elevate Keith Lee to the title? I'm feeling the urge to see the new batch of guys ascend quickly as the old ones start cycling up.

What kid of neck injury did he have? And what match did he sustain it in?

Seems like it's just wear and tear bullshit. According to online reports, he didn't have an numbness or weakness, but a constant burning pain. My guess is caused by pressure on the disc, but who knows.

Apperently its some sort of neck fusion to remove a disc. Which he can recover from if its done properly.

I think the cervical fusion was what was recommended for Angle (in 2002/03 time, maybe?) but he subsequent elected to not have the fusion and just remove bone spurs and bits of the discs, and that reduced his recover time from 12 months to 3 months, or something like that. Think that was post-Mania XIX?

Is it not the same as Edge, Austin and Paige?

No its not, the issue they have is more direct with the spine I believe.

Austin, Edge and Benoit had fusion surgeries. Cena and Angle (I was wrong on him) had surgeries to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves caused by their disc injuries. I'm not sure what Paige did.

So, this appears to be more along the lines of Austin, Edge and Benoit. This is a potentially career shortening surgery, which is really too bad for a guy who's only 33.

I think this is simliar to Austin but not quite, they are removing disc while fusing the spine.

Some think he'll be back in six months

Its not that surprising to me given his injury history.

I just hope that he takes the time he needs and doesn't try to rush back. Austin had his surgery at the end of 99, was back six months later and only got another three years out of his body from that point. Maybe if would have been more if he hadn't walked out in 2002...but maybe it would have been less! Edge took the full year to recover, but even he had the wheels start falling off by the mid-'00s. His subsequent injuries weren't to the neck, but don't think that a cervical disc injury wasn't what caused the deterioration. And ultimately it was the neck that ended his career in his mid 30s.

I hope Ciampa takes his time, and I hope that he can get some more big money making years out of his body before having to hang them up. I want the guy to end his career a millionaire.

As a bit of a personal anecdote, I've started really pushing guys on what they expect out of the business. I have some close friends who were really a generation ahead of me in the business, and got out sporadically over the last decade, whose bodies are falling apart now. So now I lay their situation out very frankly to new people breaking in, and even younger guys who have been around for a while. What do you expect out of wrestling? If you don't expect to make a living, or genuinely believe that you can, why are you taking all of these bumps? Because my friends who were making a lot more money than you are, are having surgeries and discovering old poorly healed injuries -- that would probably have sidelined most people -- that they never even knew they had. These are dudes in their mid 40s having trouble playing with their kids.

When folks see me rail on "this shit has gotten too dangerous" and think that I'm just having Jim Cornette moments, I'm not. I see all the time the realities of "life after wrestling" and the results of these super high neck and shoulder and head bumps that a lot of folks don't because once an indy guy is out of the business he's off the radar. If Taiji Ishimori calls it quits tomorrow, is the average NJPW fan going to follow his life after wrestling, or do they move on to the next guy? Will people see his body break down over the next decade because of the risks he took in the ring?

I don't think there's alot of fans that think about the effects of wrestling takes on the body and even wrestlers, you see these young guys going all out.. I think they know the effects but don't really care, cause you're young and bounce back realitively quickly.. That goes for anything that's really physical. How many football players retire before they're 30 now due to health reasons? Its alot more than it was years back but its still a low number.

That said, if you're not making alot of money in wrestling, why take such a risk? I get it when you're making millions of dollars because at least you'll be set when you do retire. Once you get noticed in wrestling, you can dial it back.. Still be exciting while not putting your body thru so much. I watched AJ evolve his style over the years for example. Some other wrestlers just don't.

The Brain
    This is exactly why I never, ever begrudge someone who wants to walk away from wrestling, even if they do it suddenly or poorly. It's kind of an insane thing for any person to do. Anyone who actually does this for a living (or even as a hobby really) has a measure of respect from me.

I do...F#@k Trish Stratus for walking away when she did....

No wait never mind...just f#@k Trish Stratus.

With all this said... I wish concussions had been studied years ago before it became “the big thing”. Only because I wish Benoit <yes... the one we shouldn’t speak of> would’ve had an idea how wreckless his style was, and maybe he would’ve changed it up a bit and still been just as awesome in the ring.

This injury sucks so much but I loved his Twitter post after the surgery with him and Goldy bandaged up.

That's spectacular.

He'll always be my NXT Champion.

Me too. He's an awesome champ.

The timing is awful too. I assume DIY would be in Riccochet/Alestair's spot right now, although it seemed they had big plans for all four guys.

Maybe on the main roster, but the plan in NXT was for a big blowoff between Ciampa and Gargano at the next Takeover.

Yeah I meant big plans on the main roster. Alestair and Riccochet seem likely to work both nights at this point (Mania and Takeover). I already mourned the loss of that Takeover match (and am excited about the replacement and entire card).

“HHH says they knew Ciampa's neck surgery was a necessity prior to the callup, but wanted to get him some main roster experience. The injury went from something manageable to a risk they didn't want to take“

According to WON.