Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NXT

I don't know the exact thing you're talking about but this sort of thing is right near the top of the reasons why I've lost interest.

I've read it as they don't wanna telegraph the kick-out because you jeopardise the reaction in the crowd, but it strikes me as abandoning story for sensation.... which actually sums up so many of my objections, really.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm with you. I haven't given up the same way. In fact, I watch more wrestling today than ever before in my life. But less attention is spent towards the actual matches, and more on the story getting there. Matches for the sake of matches isn't for me. It's a big reason AEW has yet to connect with me, and why this current NXT direction isn't my fave either. On the recent 2 hour show, the opening match had a story going for it, the 6 man main event was at the beginning of a story, and Dain vs Riddle had a story, but not much of one.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    I think COACH mentioned this somewhere, but I would be fine with a kick out after that Destroyer IF Dijak limped over for the cover, taking some extra time to sell fatigue. But while he didn't rush to the pinfall, it was still too fast, and the kick out lost impact.
    Yeah, I think it makes a big difference if it's a defensive or back foot move that is 'out of desperation' - I can buy into that being kicked out of a lot more.

Prime - it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dX2yujl_dw.

Watching that clip again, I am trying to figure out how that move is "legal" but not an actual piledriver.

It's impressive for sure, but that's definitely the kind of thing that gets me swearing at the TV.

I'm with you. I haven't given up the same way. In fact, I watch more wrestling today than ever before in my life. But less attention is spent towards the actual matches, and more on the story getting there. Matches for the sake of matches isn't for me. It's a big reason AEW has yet to connect with me, and why this current NXT direction isn't my fave either. On the recent 2 hour show, the opening match had a story going for it, the 6 man main event was at the beginning of a story, and Dain vs Riddle had a story, but not much of one.
    I have almost as many objections to the stories as the matches in truth, so I'm kinda fucked each way you want to look at it.

Ciampa coming back and laying out Cole would be a great ending to NXT tonight. Not sure if he's cleared but he's been posting videos indicating it's close.

Finn to NXT makes sense although I was looking forward to a Demon vs. Fiend match.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 10-02-2019 at 08:36 PM.

After watching both shows tonight, I feel NXT was the better program. But, I have my board, so that could be a factor. But I feel AEW had more of a "start /stop" feel, while NXT was more non stop.

What fault I did find in NXT was in the Cole VS Riddle match. I was loving it... Until they started no selling moves back and forth midway. That took me out of the match. I was feeling it was a 4 star match until then. I hope that is the Adam Cole factor, because if the entire main event scene ends up with matches like that all the time I might not be able to stay invested in NXT the same way.
    Thankfully the rest of the show was tremendous. I feel like the best AEW match of the night was equal to the worst match on NXT.

But, I'm a WWE guy, so take that for what it's worth. I didn't hate AEW. In fact it was overall the best show of theirs I've seen.

Really? I felt the opposite. Yes the AEW show wasn't as polished, but it was show #1. But it felt distinctly non-WWE, and fresh.

Dynamite had many things that were brought back to wrestling:
    • Separate entrances for heels/faces
    • Time limits on matches
    • Match will end with TV time left - JR even commented on this
    • Announcers calling moves and the match - not just pandering
    • Talking about how the referees had control of the match
    • Wins and losses matter, with records shown on name graphics - the announcers talked about this nonstop
    • Post match interviews
    • TV-14. It makes a difference, there was only one time I can think of that this came into play, when Tony called MJF a prick, and JR said TV-14.

I am sure that others will find more things, but these are just some that made AEW feel much different.

What fault I did find in NXT was in the Cole VS Riddle match. I was loving it... Until they started no selling moves back and forth midway. That took me out of the match. I was feeling it was a 4 star match until then. I hope that is the Adam Cole factor, because if the entire main event scene ends up with matches like that all the time I might not be able to stay invested in NXT the same way.
    Man, how annoying was that? It was going so well, and then it all went into that no selling thing. There was a bit of it I liked, actually, which led to the Riddle German, where it was largely just strikes being responded to. I can always pass it off when it's like that and it's in a quick flurry, because I think I buy into a 'normal' strike not being enough to knock someone down or out fully - possibly just a conditioning thing, over time - and when it feels like someone's acting to stop the second, more fatal, strike from hitting. I can't immediately remember that series of moves, but I remember feeling the ebb and flow of it and it not hurting the match too much.

The second Panama Sunrise, and the subsequent Riddle counter to the Last Shot, was where I checked out a bit. I was urging Cole not to hit a second PS, because it's got to the point where the move itself bothers me, whether it's a finish or not.

My only black mark against the show otherwise was the ad breaks, which I'm still not used to when they're just normal breaks, but are objectively bad when they're run picture-in-picture like last night.

Not really into Finn returning to NXT, but I'm not really into Finn. For me, his title run on NXT was the poorest one to date on both a storyline(s) and in ring level.

I was quite surprised how much time Io and Mia got for a match which was, essentially, nothing of importance. Not sure whether it was or not, but it felt longer than Riddle/Cole. I know Mia seems to be highly thought of which, well, I don't get but whatever, but that was a real showcase for both of them.

Shayna remains dope as fuck and sells incredibly well. Time to build up Kai and get those two together at Takeover, bring that story full circle.

Tag was really good, probably a little under my expectations but my expectations were sky high for it. Those two teams are incredible together.

Anyway, I'm glad that the TRUE NXT champion, the man who never lost the belt, has returned to reclaim what is rightfully his. Goldie's coming home!

EDIT: I should also say, I really liked Dream's promo last night. It was witty, smart, and he continues to carry himself like a star. There was a point where he kept repeating himself and I thought he'd lost his way, but if he did it didn't seem to phase him and he carried himself through it.
    Last edited by Oliver; 10-03-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Honest question.

If NXT is better than AEW, then why is it that next week, the WWE is choosing to forgo some of it's NXT performers in liu of their UK champion having a match and the 205 live guys having a match.

WWE UK Champion WALTER vs. Kushida in a non-title match, and Lio Rush vs. WWE Cruiserweight Champion Drew Gulak with the title on the line.

Why isn't the entire NXT show focused around NXT? If NXT is "clearly better than AEW", why are they having non NXT stars on their show next week? this seems to me like the WWE is adding people/performers to try to counter AEW, and not rely on who they already have on their roster.

I mean they set both of those matches up on NXT two weeks ago and Kushida and Lio Rush are (last I checked) supposed to be part of the NXT roster so this isn't NXT forgoing their own talent. It's them going to the well with stuff they already set up.

I've heard the show was good. I haven't seen it obviously (and probably won't) but it seems like it went well, which means everyone seemed to have a good night. That's the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    If NXT is better than AEW, then why is it that next week, the WWE is choosing to forgo some of it's NXT performers in liu of their UK champion having a match and the 205 live guys having a match.
    I don't know, Powder (if that is your real name), but answer me this - if AEW is so much better than NXT and an alternative to WWE, why is it using someone who shit the bed as a WWE Champion as their 'Luger shock' on week one?

I jest, but I will only accept Hager as AEW Champion is he has Chavo as the Hager Soaring Eagle.

It most likely comes down to how you approach NXT - is 'NXT' an umbrella brand which encompasses both NXT US and NXT UK? That would explain why you have people like Pete Dunne showing up, Rhea Ripley showing up, and so on, and have had (on multiple occasions) NXT UK Championship matches on NXT TV/Takeover. That one's pretty easy to explain, really.

The 205 Live stuff is a bit hazier, but there has always been quite a strong link between the two rosters (Oney, for example, has been pretty fluid between them, and Carrillo, his gorgeous cheek dimples, and Garza had a cup of coffee on NXT before 'graduating').

Most likely is that they want to have some title defences on the show and they've already done every NXT title in a three week period, with three of them having just been defended this week. They've got a lot of things brewing, Dream vs Strong seems pretty set for a week in the future (although there was a rumour that Dream had some kind of injury after the match with Strong - possibly just a work, though, as it was reported as lumbar pain), Cole vs Ciampa is in it's nascent stages, you've also got Cole vs Balor in a similar situation.

With Rush and Kushida both being NXT rostered talents, as Cult says there, it's going to be at least 50% NXT US talent, and 75% NXT talent if you take the umbrella approach, so I don't think it's a major issue.

I'm going to be most interested to see where NXT (and AEW, for that matter) shakes out in 6 weeks or so's time. I'm all for these big matches, but they've essentially delivered a four hour Takeover over the past 3 weeks, when you ignore the hour on the Network - every title defended, and big matches/stories paid off. If you presented me with a Takeover card that was:

Riddle vs Killian Dain
    Shirai vs Mia Yim (Number One Contendership)
    Strong vs Dream (North American Title)
    LeRae vs Baszler (Women's Title)
    Cole vs Riddle (NXT Championship)
    Street Profits vs Undisputed Era (Tag Titles)

I'd be talking it up as a really strong show on paper. Even with Riddle in there twice...

They surely will need to be settling some of that pace down in the near future, because while I think you can hotshot into Cole vs Balor there's no way something like Ciampa vs Cole should be rushed out on TV prior to a Takeover, in my opinion.

Honest question.

WWE UK Champion WALTER vs. Kushida in a non-title match, and Lio Rush vs. WWE Cruiserweight Champion Drew Gulak with the title on the line.

Why isn't the entire NXT show focused around NXT? If NXT is "clearly better than AEW", why are they having non NXT stars on their show next week? this seems to me like the WWE is adding people/performers to try to counter AEW, and not rely on who they already have on their roster.
    Honest question.

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Maybe multiple times? Did you snack on paint chips, thinkingthey were colored tortilla chips?

NXT has used 205 Live and NXT UK stars for over a year, maybe 2. I know Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate had their title rematch on an NXT Takeover, maybe in 2017, if memory serves me correct. And while I don't think there's an official WWE press release to say it, but it's pretty evident that NXT is the top brand of all these sub brands. It's not about borrowing from other brands to counter AEW. I see it more like territory era NWA. Ric Flair would be the NWA champ, and tour to all the territories to defend against the local top contenders. I think once NXT Canada, NXT Mexico, NXT Japan and wherever else they added these brands, likely those champions and top contenders will come to NXT as the next step in their evolution.

Oh man, NXT was almost too good this past week! I think Oli is right, in that this feels like too strong of a lineup of matches in the first couple weeks- like a Takeover. I'm starting to worry that this kind of pace might desensitize from actual Takeovers.

I was not as bothered by the Riddle vs Cole no selling, I only really noticed it blatantly in like 2-3 spots. I really, really, really enjoyed the first 12 or so minutes of that match! They had some runs in there that were pretty outstanding. There was a Cole no sell that reminded me of Cena towards the end lol, that was my only true annoyance. I thought Riddle, overall, did awesome.

Mia vs Io was very good. Io is so damned good at wrestling. I place her on the AJ Styles level, in that she is meticulously efficient. Mia has definite quality, but if she keeps eating losses her value is gonna start dipping real soon. Very good wrestler though.

I actually enjoyed the Velveteen promo quite a bit, and am genuinely curious as to why others didn't? I loved his clever wordplay throughout, and thought he showed more personality. I loved that he leaned into his sexuality so much, as I think him shoving his sexuality in people's faces is kind of the key to him getting over with casuals. He backs it up with great wrestling. I'd love to see him play into it in the ring, to get into his opponents heads more.

Candice vs Shayna was very good. Shayna is an amazing heel. I simply love watching her work a match- so much satisfaction. She does so many things, so damned well. I think she's a natural at it.

Gargano match was enjoyable.

Seeing Finn Balor show up made me puke in my mouth a bit. I sincerely hope he isn't about to go on some long, pointless World Title run. His first was abyssmal enough. Now he could be stealing spotlight from newer talent that deserve it more. Though if he takes some of Damian Priests time away I'm cool with that.

Seeing the Blackheart return, however, was my biggest mark out moment. So damn good to see him back. He is one of the very best male heels in the company.

What an awesome episode. I keep my Network subscription now almost solely for NXT and NXT UK.

Kushida Vs WALTER is my most anticipated wrestling of this week. That match could be amazing.

One of the problems I have with NXT is the style in the show is too similar to alot of other matches on the same show. Not just that almost everyone does a suicide dive but like Riddle/Cole have a fast paced match, it was really good I thought and then Gargano/Thorne do a similar type match and i mentally checked out. You have to do matches a little differently in the show to make them stand out. That's what I want from all my wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    One of the problems I have with NXT is the style in the show is too similar to alot of other matches on the same show. Not just that almost everyone does a suicide dive but like Riddle/Cole have a fast paced match, it was really good I thought and then Gargano/Thorne do a similar type match and i mentally checked out. You have to do matches a little differently in the show to make them stand out. That's what I want from all my wrestling.
    Such a good point. I think it's just the law of averages in terms of what style of match is in, in 2019. I am honestly sick to death of suicide dives! I definitely did something similar during the Gargano match, but in general I'm just kind of pushing back against his kick out culture. Sometimes I still mark for it though in the right spots. But in the right spots. They gotta stop bastardizing it. Not everyone gets that kind of match. It should be earned.

Your answer is part of why I love the Shayna Baszler's and Keith Lee's of NXT though. They stand out. They wrestle different. They command attention. NXT has variety. Despite their live crowds, they have kept my fandom alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Such a good point. I think it's just the law of averages in terms of what style of match is in, in 2019. I am honestly sick to death of suicide dives! I definitely did something similar during the Gargano match, but in general I'm just kind of pushing back against his kick out culture. Sometimes I still mark for it though in the right spots. But in the right spots. They gotta stop bastardizing it. Not everyone gets that kind of match. It should be earned.

Your answer is part of why I love the Shayna Baszler's and Keith Lee's of NXT though. They stand out. They wrestle different. They command attention. NXT has variety. Despite their live crowds, they have kept my fandom alive.
    I would like more character development but yeah, the variety of wrestlers is there and when they're allowed to do their thing and not conform to a certain style, it really helps the balance of a show.

Big guys throwing bombs at each other, athletic sprints, comedy matches, hardcore brawls, dissecting a body part to make your opponent submit. More of that, less suicide dives lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    That's not an issue I've noticed with NXT at all. I found all those matches very different, unlike most of the AEW shows for example. NXT is one of the better arrays of styles, and is booked well. I know both Riddle vs Cole and Gargano vs Thorne had the faster pace, but the NXT title match was an extensive battle back and forth, with a final stretch of too many kick outs and false finishes. The other was a short sprint midcard match. The styles were similar, but produced drastically different, and I feel it's enough to make the matches stand out.

I see both sides of that. Keith Lee and Dominick Dijak are two monster guys who basically worked that lightweight style when I'd like to see that be a little different.

I found Cole/Riddle and Gargano/Thorne to be quite different. Gargano/Thorne started with some fast paced chain wrestling, but turned into more of that standard Gargano style match. The NXT Title match had a lot more technical counter wrestling style, even after it devolved into a little bit of that extreme kickout style.

I'd actually like to see Riddle matched up with O'Reilly or some of these other "MMA-influenced" guys to get some striking or submission focused stuff that would be completely different from anything else on the card.

My only head scratch on that NXT show was actually the Dakota Kai match. Her gimmick is kicks...but she's not good at kicks. And they put her in a match with someone worlds better than her at kicking. Taynara Conti's kicks had so much more on them and looked so much harder than Kai's.

I don't see much of anything but a pretty face with Kai, and Conti even beats her at that.

I feel like Kai needs to lean into that kick side of things a bit more if it's to really be a strong gimmick for her. Just more kicks. I didn't really see her do non-standard kicking that much except for the finish and maybe one or two rolling sort of kicks to Taynara.

Would like to see her throwing some killer roundhouse kicks, big flurries of them here or there, heel kicks, Liger kicks, all sorts of things. I didn't see much in that match that screamed 'I kick people a lot', it was just a kind of standard performance.

I did really like her as Evie on the independents, doing good stuff in Stardom and Shimmer, but something isn't quite coming off in her NXT stuff. My guess is that she's a little tentative after the injuries she's had, and needs some ring time to sharpen up and shake off that reticence to go as hard as she can.

She's certainly an excellent underdog face, and I think she'd pair fantastically with Baszler as a result.

I liked this quote by Triple H from the main page about the show expanding to two hours and hinting that Takeovers will remain the same: "That means al lot of talent will debut and be a part of this brand on a weekly basis but may not be on TakeOver events,” Triple H explained. “You prove yourself in these storylines, you get to the bigger storylines. You go to TakeOver. This will be the brand where there will be no participation medals. You earn your spot and grow into your spot. We’re not going to make TkaeOver events longer because we have the bigger bandwidth for storylines. It’s keeping the product for what it is but making more opportunity.”

One thing I like about NXT is the competitive nature. Especially when they were one hour, you had to excel to get on TV and then you had to connect to get on Takeovers. I'm glad this will continue and Takeovers won't turn into a card where they feel they need to add people just to add people.

Solid episode. I think this is much closer to the regular weekly show, than the highlight shows we've seen recently. Still some NXT level marquee match ups, but they spaced it all out with great matches (AKA squashes) to establish other talents.

I was left most impressed by Rhea Ripley. She's a megastar in the making. Let her get even more seasoned, and the minute she steps up to a Charlotte or Becky, all bets are off.

That's the thing about size. Being bigger helps for an initial reaction. Looking imposing is huge on a first impression. But it's another factor when you use your size advantage properly. Nia Jax and Tamina never really got that part down. They used power moves, but didn't make them look powerful or mean. Rhea looks mean when she's delivering an Irish Whip, like she'll rip someone's arm off to toss them into the ropes. She's just destrucity!

True match of the night, like Swerve vs Strong, though I enjoyed the CW title match too. I felt let down by the main between KUSHIDA and WALTER. It was by no means bad, but the worst WALTER match I'd see in the WWE so far.

Yeah, Ripley absolutely destroying Aaliyah was super impressive - it's 'only' Aaliyah, sure, but Ripley has such a presence about her. Love her introducing that submission finisher, too - not entirely sure I've seen her use it before, but haven't paid loads of attention to NXT UK recently. Nice as a counter to Shayna, though, given her submission finisher.

I'm honestly really psyched for them doing Ripley vs Belair, too. Belair is putting together a bit of an under the radar recuperation run from her first shot at Shayna, and has a huge future in my opinion. The two together, Ripley and Belair, should be really cool, and something we don't get much of in the women's division - a little bit of a power/hoss battle. Should be fun. I'm hoping Ripley gets the win and a shot at Shayna down the line, because I can buy into her taking the title.

Really enjoyed the show, top to bottom. Agreed that KUSHIDA vs WALTER wasn't bad but wasn't quite good enough to live up to the hype, Pen, but I thought it was still good.

The little bit at the end of the NXT Cruiserweight Title match made me want to see Regal vs Gulak. Equally, I'd quite like to see Gulak get a shot at wrestling at 'heavyweight' as I think he has a style and demeanour that would carry over really well to the 'main' roster without it being unbelievable that he's taking on bigger guys.

My only slight blackmark, although it's fine really and nothing I'm going to spend posts arguing about, was Dream doing a John Cena Memorial Photoshop Presentation. Even though it felt perfectly in character for him, it kind of jarred with the feel of NXT.

Next week looks really good - Ciampa vs Garza, Lee vs Dijakovic again (I'm hoping they mix things up there a little and do something different stylistically, particularly given how far they went with it last time), and Dunne vs Priest. Very solid looking show on paper.

I love that Ciampa is singularly obsessed with 'Goldie' - I didn't notice it greatly on first watch, but when he confronted Cole last week he kept his eyes on the title all the time. It wouldn't matter if that was around the waist of Cole, Gargano, Lee, Priest, Dream...Ciampa's only focus is getting what's his back.

I want to catch the Blackheart documentary that aired last night at some point.

What am I missing about the Velveteen Dream? He can go in the ring, but I just do not get his gimmick. In the 2 promos I have seen from him, all his lines felt forced and like he was trying to remember them.

Also, it is like he is trying to channel Prince from the 1980s, or is that the point? I do not know, but so far what I've seen, I do not like. But that ok.

Also, it is like he is trying to channel Prince from the 1980s, or is that the point?
    Yes, that is the point.

If that is so, than I want a full Batdance.

I don't think his promo last week was up to his usual standards - he definitely seemed to stumble over his words a bit and kept repeating phrases until he got his next point clear in his head. This week I thought was more a case of poor material than poor delivery.

If it was good for one thing, though, it showed us that Marina Shafir can be funny - https://twitter.com/MarinaShafir/sta...a-shafir-argue

Dream's been so good over his time in NXT that a couple of weeks of poor(er) promos don't really hurt him. And I love what he does in the ring because there's nothing flash about it. In a land of suicide dives, Spanish flies, and twisting sentons, dude's out here and the most high risk move he does is a double axehandle. Got a lot of love for that.

The last time I saw Lio Rush was when he was the most annoying man in the history of pro-wrestling as the manager for Lashley. He won the CW Title last night. he was good in the ring, but he didn't speak. Is he still that annoying brat, or a well spoken guy?

He's coming across more of a humble, down to earth guy than he ever was with Lashley, with a bit of that brashness he showed with Lashley having gone.

Still a little cocky edge to him, but I think he plays that off well.

I think Dakota Kai could have used the win last night to continue her momentum after returning.

I was actually worried they were going to give Kai the win. I don't see what's so special about her.

Bianca is a special talent IMO and I echo Oli's thoughts about a 'hoss'-like match with Ripley. You don't see that too often.

Is Belair the best prospect the PC has developed when it comes to those who entered with zero wrestling experience?
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 10-10-2019 at 10:47 AM.

That's an interesting question, not least because there aren't many who enter with zero experience now!

Belair is up there, one hundred percent, when it comes to those purely trained in the PC. Braun might be up for consideration, I suppose - although he was really only there for a cup of coffee.

I'd probably throw out Baron Corbin as being the best to come through purely trained in the PC so far. I think Corbin gets a bum rap for his work and is way better than people give him credit for. He was an NFL guy, came to NXT during the very early days and has really developed since that time.

I mean, I'm eliminating the people who went to FCW first from the discussion as they aren't purely PC guys - so someone like Big E wouldn't get my nod.

Rhonda Rousey. She was similar to Angle, in that she picked up this business really quickly. If it wasn't for her wanting kids, she could have been one of the best by now.

Braun and Corbin are good picks that slipped my mind. Braun actually spent two years at the PC even though he didn't go through NXT.

I wouldn't count Rhonda just because while she worked out there a few times, she really wasn't part of the PC program. She definitely picked it up fast though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    If it was good for one thing, though, it showed us that Marina Shafir can be funny - https://twitter.com/MarinaShafir/sta...a-shafir-argue

Dream's been so good over his time in NXT that a couple of weeks of poor(er) promos don't really hurt him. And I love what he does in the ring because there's nothing flash about it. In a land of suicide dives, Spanish flies, and twisting sentons, dude's out here and the most high risk move he does is a double axehandle. Got a lot of love for that.
    Marina knocked it out of the park, but WWE on FOX's reply to her was a gland slam.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    I think Dakota Kai could have used the win last night to continue her momentum after returning.
    Meh. Dakota isn't terrible, but in a world where Shayna is crushing everyone, Kai is not the person to unseat her. At least not with a real story, and unlike Daniel Bryan, she's not talented enough to deserve that. With Belair and Ripley also in the mix, they are much better opponents for Shayna. So Kai losing works fine. Also, if she's going to be in a tag team with Tegan, then she'll have her own work to do there. Or, Tegan can be the one to beat Shayna with Dakota by her side. All much better and more interesting options than Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Bianca is a special talent IMO and I echo Oli's thoughts about a 'hoss'-like match with Ripley. You don't see that too often.

Is Belair the best prospect the PC has developed when it comes to those who entered with zero wrestling experience?
    Belair isn't in no way ready, but the potential is HUGE. And I agree that she's one of, if not the best, examples of a non experience PC success stories.

Rhonda Rousey. She was similar to Angle, in that she picked up this business really quickly. If it wasn't for her wanting kids, she could have been one of the best by now.
    You can't even spell her name right. And she was really good, but Belair and Corbin are better overall. Had Ronda spent as much time in the PC as Bianca and the King, she likely would be ahead of them though.

Solid episode of NXT. Roddy against Swerve was my match of the night, though WALTER vs Kushida was right behind.

I have to say, Cameron Grimes was going places, then they changed his music/theme. And now I just don't care. Despite his matches being unique and entertaining. Shows how powerful music/theme can be.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 10-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.

I'm not completely sure what the deal is with Cameron Grimes yet. I haven't quite clicked with him, despite him progressing through the tournament originally, and think there are probably a lot of people who could carry off what he's doing now while generating a lot more character.

I'm not a fan of the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I'm not a fan of the hat.
    THANK YOU! It looks silly. It contradicts his initial character. He was supposed to be some backwoods, crazy, redneck from what I gathered, but then they change his music to stereotype cocky southern rocker guy? With a goofy hat? I mean, Oli says it perfectly, this guy isn't so good in the charisma/promo department, so you give him a gimmick that pretty much must have someone with a lot of charisma to pull it off? I liked the dump truck/Ford F150esque rock theme, paired with the aggressive style and unhinged, unkempt appearance and crazy eyes. He is pretty good in ring, and his unusual moveset stands out in my opinion. But now I feel they just turned him into a goofy caricature, and his lack of charisma will sink him. It's a shame, as I have enjoyed his matches. He had a couple good ones in that NXT tournament.

I have not seen any Cameron Grimes matches but I have seen a shit ton of Trevor Lee matches (spoiler; they're the same guy!). If he's not connecting right now my guess is it's less him and more that NXT hasn't figured it out yet with him. The guy is a terrific in ring performer and a really good cocky asshole.