Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: NXT

That's pretty cool - Sabin's only 37, too, so could potentially (after he recovers from his injury, fully tore his ACL in January I believe) even be active for NXT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    UE is an odd one - they're only really 'cool', in my opinion, because Adam Cole comes down and makes everyone go 'Bay Bay' and 'Boom' during his entrance. Otherwise they're fucking dirtbag shits that should be booed out of every arena they sit foot in.

Mind you, I hate Adam Cole anyway. Just does nothing for me.

O'Reilly, on the other hand, I love. I think he has a great style that's interesting and different enough in the ring, he's willing to put himself through hell to get a match going (like in the ladder match recently, and is a genuinely interesting in ring presence. Would rather watch him in the ring for thirty minutes than Cole at this point.
    Agreed 1000%.

Enjoyed this hype video. Cole going to Gargano’s parents’ pizza shop and Gargano’s gym was amusing.

20190810_173402.jpg
    My seats for the night

Nice view.

EDIT: That was a real fun tag match.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 1 Week Ago at 07:28 PM.

I tried to watch takeover just now, but audiodesynch ruined it for me. Anyone else have that problem?

It’s going to be sad watching Gargano chase after the 24/7 title in a couple weeks with all the other jobbers. Not that I think he should be pushed to a world title but they invested a lot of time to build him to where he is, and I doubt that will amount to much on the main roster.

Man, fuck that Cole/Gargano match. Talk about overdoing it.

I loved everything else on that show, though. I see Baszler/Yim getting some stick today, but I dug it a lot.

I wish they weren't so apprehensive about heel vs heel feuds. I would love to se e Bazler defend against this Shirai so she can finally win the belt.

Honestly, I think they might do that. It's hard to see anybody other than Io taking that title off of Baszler right now.

Honestly, I think they might do that. It's hard to see anybody other than Io taking that title off of Baszler right now.
    I'd like that, but it's far more likely to see a 3 way or 4 way match involving Candice and/or Yim.

Why not just do Candice vs. Bazler? There's time before the next Takeover. Give her some big wins on TV and have her beat the poor woman's Rousey.

Man, fuck that Cole/Gargano match. Talk about overdoing it.
    It was fun live, until the cage. For the first 2 falls, I was thinking how they are doing a better job not delivering too much, and having too many kicks outs like their previous matches. Gargano being resilient has been established, so him kicking out is easier to deal with than previous. Again, for the first 2 falls.

The cage was where I felt it went overboard. I'll always hate moves that are ridiculous and involve too much setup to be realistic, such as the Panama Sunrise (and Jay Lethal's Lethal Injection...etc.). I hate it every time, and the one off the ladder leading to the kick out was likely where I officially stopped caring. I also thought the final bump was too staged, obviously. Maybe it was being there live, and the camera angle might have hidden it for those at home, but once they got on that platform, it was way too staged, and the "fall" looked more like synchronized swimming with a leap.

Rest of the show - Preshow stuff that you'll see Wednesday was solid. Standard tag, but I was impressed by the breakout tourny. The crowd was quiet at first, but the competitors won over the crowd. That was one of the best live wrestling

NXT Takeover crowds - It's an experience to be apart of, but I don't know if I could do it again. Smarks in the business to get themselves over ruin the fun for me. They chanted "This Is Awesome" or "Fight Forever" for 5-6 of the 7 matches. I loved most of the matches, but 2-3 of the matches came close to be all time greats, and a lot of that was based on expectations. The NXT Tag title was possibly my fave match of the night, but it's very much influenced by how the Street Profits have improved. They might have faced the best tag team in the world for making everyone look great, but it was still amazing how both Dawkins and Ford looked their best they've ever looked. Then, Io and Candice almost stole the show from all women everywhere. It went from a standard midcard match to a true main event feel, and Io's heel work is tremendous.

Live notes, WWE staff hands out rec cups before the Profits entrance. I didn't see the same thing for the Gargano blinking logo, but I might have missed it. My fiance who came with me loved the Triple Threat (funny aside, she was trying to tell me which match was he favorite on the drive home, but didn't know what the match was called, and was trying avoid saying "the threesome match".), but I felt it looked too staged for my tastes. Fun though.

I will say, during the first fall, I thought the two were wrestling a lot smarter than in their previous matches, and was really getting into it. It was fall two and, as you say Pen, especially three that I found to be borderline unbearable.

And yeah, the fall from the top looked corny as heck to me as well. I'm not a huge fan of them when it looks like the two have clearly propelled themselves through the air to actually get somewhere, because there's no reason for the propulsion. If they'd just fallen through the tables, basically taking a flat back bump and dropping like a stone, I think it looks better and (I'm sure I'm wrong on this for a myriad of reasons, as I'm not a trained professional) safer. Like, Cole took about 90% of that bump on his shoulder because they were going sideways, I feel. Could have ended in a nasty injury.

Like I said, everything else there I loved, so any ranking of matches is all relative. For me, the triple threat was match of the night, but it was very close to being overhauled by Io vs Candice, which was terrific. So glad Io went and rejoined the Black Lotus Tribe and is now kicking shit.

If I thought NXT would do it, I could see a really good Io vs Gargano match in the near future happening. As long as it's just Io shit kicking Johnny for 15 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Why not just do Candice vs. Bazler? There's time before the next Takeover. Give her some big wins on TV and have her beat the poor woman's Rousey.

Poor woman's Rousey? Jeez.... I normally agree with you on nearly everything, but that assessment is as accurate as a Storm Trooper trying to shoot the broad side of a barn. Not only is Baszler leagues better than Rousey ever will be, but Shayna is easily one of the best female heels in the entire company. I'd rank only Charlotte and Alexa above her in terms of heel work/charisma.

I thought Baszler vs Yim was better than the online critics are saying. I think people watch Takeover and expect every match to have 100 false finishes with everyone kicking out of all the top moves, which is why it is becoming increasingly harder to watch Gargano matches and enjoy them. Though Adam Cole was awesome. Put one slow, methodical match on a Takeover card and watch all the people proclaim it the worst match ever.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 5 Days Ago at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I thought Baszler vs Yim was better than the online critics are saying. I think people watch Takeover and expect every match to have 100 false finishes with everyone kicking out of all the top moves, which is why it is becoming increasingly harder to watch Gargano matches and enjoy them. Though Adam Cole was awesome. Put one slow, methodical match on a Takeover card and watch all the people proclaim it the worst match ever.
    I'm completely with you here, Kleck, but I also accept that I'm a Baszler fan and her matches always watch better for me than others. I thought they did a good job telling a story of a street fighter against a more trained one, and how those two are diametric opposites. I also thought Shayna sold exceptionally well.

That said, though, I'm not sure it's a slow, methodical match thing - Riddle vs Strong was just that and yet I think the consensus was that it completely ruled.

It depends on how you want to look at it. From what I've seen Ronda has demonstrated more aptitude for the basics so in that sense she's "better", and obviously has huge upsides in terms of recognition that Shayna will probably never have. Shayna has probably done better at the character stuff, and does a pretty good job of maximising the stuff she can do in the ring and leaning heavily into that, for the most part at least.

Personally, I think they both bring more than enough to make it worth having them around, but they've each got a downside, too.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Though Adam Cole was awesome.
    I still fail to see what's special about Cole, other than having a 2019 summarized version of the Roaddogg gimmick, getting people to say Boom and Baybay on cue. Other than that, there's just nothing about him better than 50% of the NXT roster.

Granted, I'm not a fan, fan of Adam Cole, but I can appreciate his qualities. He's got the IT factor imo. It's why fans go insane. A natural, physical charisma, build and looks similar to HBK. Rarely makes mistakes in the ring. Is undeniably solid in promos and on the mic. He's not great, but he is good at a lot of things, and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see WWE shoot him to the moon on the main roster.

Last night, minus that finish (which I'm honestly not sure who to blame for. If that was scripted to bump like that I feel bad for both guys, but as Oliver pointed out Adam ate most of the impact- makes me think it could have been a Gargano botch) Cole wrestled a very solid match in terms of timing, positioning, execution aside from that bump. They definitely had a chemistry together, and it often seems like that is said in most of Adam Cole's feuds. Tends to point to him being good at what he does.

As for Shayna, yeah I'm a big fan too, but I definitely still watch even my favorites objectively. The only thing I can say she is still green at is her entrance to the ring, and at times her timing/positioning. She has come a very long way. She will never have the commercial appeal Ronda has, but man, her heel work during matches is just wonderful at times.

And am I really the only one who thought the Triple Threat was a rushed together let down? It wasnt terrible- Dream was fantastic, Roddie was tremendous as usual, but man it seemed like Pete was off. It almost felt like he knew he was losing, so he didnt put as much into it as he should have. Like Joe used to in TNA.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 5 Days Ago at 10:29 AM.

I would agree that Cole is solid in the ring. But I also feel that way about most of the top NXT prospects. As for "It factor", I think that's a tough call. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not seeing it. And that is why I'm not arguing you on it, because I see star power/It factor in others that many online don't see (Roman Reigns, for example).

I also recognize that there is a style of modern wrestling I just can't get into, and so far, Cole falls in that category. This also describes recent Gargano matches, but I don't think he was this bad vs Andrade or Ciampa. Cole vs Gargano on the other hand as been tedious to get through. The style I'm talking about is the excessive kickouts to ridiculous finsher type moves that turn into a spot match. I'm more forgiving in tag wrestling, because you don't have to kick out of these moves when your partner can break the count. But as much as I despite the Canadian Destroyer/Panama Sunrise, Gargano kicking out of the one off the ladder was absurd.

I think my biggest issue with Cole is he doesn't comes off as a credible threat. I understand he's mostly a cheap heel with the stable, but unless he's fighting Gargano, he doesn't look or act imposing, or seem like someone who can outwrestle the other. I know Ric Flair was this kind of wrestler in the 80s, but he at least wrestled in a way that made it logical that he could beat someone twice his size. Cole doesn't.

Shayna I am a fan of, but she's such an anomoly in the ring that I understand why many don't appreciate her. She's such a different type of modern heel. She's almost like the female HHH, in that she's obviously talented enough to outwrestle the opponent, but cheats anyways, while being imposing at every turn. She's also not a cool heel. But she's not "exciting" in the ring. That's what people have a hard time getting around, much like Randy Orton (though nowhere near as polished as The Viper is). But they get labeled boring because they don't wrestle an exciting style. I love it, but it doesn't work for many. I think the issue for this Takeover is that Yim didn't really get a strong enough story to be a contender. Had it been any other NXT women's champ (other than Asuka), I think Yim's story would have been enough. But Shayna has been so dominant that the person who will take the title off her needs to be on such a crazy roll. And the only people that can describe are heels, like Io, or Bianca Belair. And they both lost to her recently. With Breezango back in NXT, maybe the person to challenge Shayna will be a main roster woman who returns to NXT. I wouldn't mind seeing Dana Brooke come back for a chance. Or, Asuka honestly would be amazing (though this is more likely to happen unhyped on a random SD when Shayna gets to the main roster).

But Candice might be the best option if they give her the right story to move forward.

As for the Triple Threat, I didn't get into it. I didn't notice Dunne being lazy, but it just wasn't my style of match. I generally don't like singles Triple Threat/4/5/6 way matches, though.

Candice vs Shayna or Goth Io vs Shayna will both rule, I think. Happy for them to take those two in either direction - whilst heel vs heel doesn't seem likely, I think they could do it really well with those two.

I get where you're coming from on the 'Io just challenged and lost' front, Pen, but I think this is so clearly a different Io that it's not a huge step to accept her as a challenger with a chance.

Most likely, I'm guessing a triple threat between those three to keep a face interest.

Next Takeover is WarGames, right, in November? Hard to see they go in any direction other than Undisputed Era vs AN Other team, I guess, but I'd quite like the three Horsewomen vs Team Candice - trouble is I don't know who you can get in NXT that fits into the face side and can be considered strong enough as challengers.