Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: NXT

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Will the numbers hold, though? If people are tuning in for the next three weeks -- and we have no idea what next week will look like -- and they're putting out a good product, you have to figure some of them will stick around.
    I think the normal base for them is around that 700K or a little more, taken some hits from baseball but it was slowing.. the invasion was the best way to showcase that talent and draw people back in. Stay consistant and i see numbers staying simliar. its such where there has to be a floor.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Yeah, after survivor series, there will be no reason for NXT and WWE to get involved in each other's business (kayfabe wise).
    I guess the answer to that (if WWE really wants to pull in a number of additional viewers to NXT) is to do something exciting with the NXT guys at Survivor Series.

Raw and Smackdown are pretty much set in terms of viewership, and very little will increase their numbers unless they drastically overhaul the style and approach of programming as they did in the mid-90s. But NXT is new and I assume falls under the radar for some of the people that will watch the main roster and pay per views. The little uptick this week shows the benefit of using the main roster shows to have a little NXT showcase (and also the benefit of not having baseball on, I guess), but doing something dramatic at Survivor Series that makes people go 'holy shit. I have to tune in to NXT' and then subsequently following that up with a hot week or two of TV to keep the eyes locked on could secure them a more permanent increase in viewership, I suppose.

It would be really beneficial for NXT if they went over at the very least the majority of their matches at the actual PPV. I don't really see Vince allowing that, however.

It would be really beneficial for NXT if they went over at the very least the majority of their matches at the actual PPV. I don't really see Vince allowing that, however.
    I think you'll be surprised. NXT will win at least one important match. Whether it's a Survival match (a match with no consequences if Raw/SD lose), or the women's triple threat. The women's division is obviously NXT's most unique asset, so it makes sense to draw attention to it.

I am not so sure if Vince wants any NXT champion to win a match with RAW and Smackdown champions.

I can see the UE beating the OC and ??, but not Shayna pinning or Submitting Bayley, and definitely not Becky.

I think Shayna has the best chance to win in the so far announced triple threat matches. And Bayley would likely take the pin. I think Becky should take it, as the history with Ronda just makes sense. But Bayley likely the sacrifice.

Tag titles, you might be right. But that's a match that will likely end up on the preshow. I think the NXT wins will be a bigger deal than that. I think the Vikings take that one.

To be honest, if it's going to only be champ vs champ vs champ, I imagine they come out 1-1-1 in favour of each brand.

Raiders win the tags, Nakamura wins the US/IC/NA bout, and then Shayna wins the women's.

If they run a roster vs roster (or roster vs roster vs roster) elimination match, it'll then be like the decider of who gets brand supremacy.

Angel Garza is a star.

Also, nod to Powder, so's Keith Lee - that little promo was the best I've heard him speak in NXT. Often has come across as not having much fire in his belly and being a bit too calm, but that hit the right mark.

Were there not rumours, possibly long ago now, that Dijakovic was going to join Undisputed Era? For some reason that's in my head.
    Last edited by Oliver; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:39 AM.

Revival and the Undisputed Era was fantastic tag team wrestling.

I like that most of the invading stars tonight are NXT alums.

NXT was brilliant tonight. But this is the problem. That the show was great because of all of the RAW and SD stars there. How ever the matches were all great, with a purpose.

Ripley vs Becky was great. Showcased the future of Ripley with the current of Becky, and these two should never interact again until the WWE pulls the trigger on a major feud between the two.

Viking Raiders vs the Forgotten Sons and the Revival vs The UE showcased what tag team wrestling is supposed to look like.

The ladder match was really good as well.

I really want to see a Drew McIntyre vs Keith Lee feud right now.

I'm actually kind of the opposite way to you guys - I think the wrestling was good, but a lot of that's because you're doing good wrestler(s) against good wrestler(s).

Broadly, I didn't like the show as a whole. But then, I'm not invested in the brand warfare angle and think a lot of it's stupid. It just felt like it wasn't pitched right for an NXT show, like it was just A.N.Other WWE show this week - the first match is a promo followed by an interruption, the obligatory 'show me your balls' zinger and then a match ending in a non-finish due to a run-in. The second match is a schedule competitor getting attacked and their attacker taking their place, to build to a distraction finish.

They pulled it back a bit from there, but then at the end - why does Keith Lee give a shit if The Undisputed Era get beaten down. They're going to war on Saturday, let them get softened up! And the women's brawl did the same thing, Kay Lee Ray's out there getting beaten up so Tegan Nox comes out (among others) to back her up.

I just hate this shit. At least Ciampa had the decency to knee Cole in the face before beating up Rollins.

I thought the matches and wrestling were good, so that's something. I just didn't like a lot of the storyline execution and development, and think a lot of the NXT/WarGames side of that was somewhat sidelined in favour of developing Survivor Series instead.

I'm with Oliver on this one. Everything I liked about NXT was thrown out the window. It was still a great show, but it wasn't NXT.

I'm not that worried though. After this Sunday, things will return to normal.

One thing I'm enjoying was how War Games is being booked without title matches. Reminds me of late 80s WWF, where the title was only on the line at Wrestlemania, with the other PPVs building to those title defenses.

I actually didn't love the show, either. Riddle vs Ricochet was sloppy as hell and seemed like they were rushing big time. Becky vs Rhia was alright, if fairly pointless. I was miffed they they'd have the Becky-Rhia match, which was a cold match leading to a run-in double DQ, go through a PIP commercial but they broke up Revival vs UE.

Other than that one match, the physical wrestling on the show was good, it just didn't feel like a good show to me.

I hated the ladder match. The concept turned me off, and so I think I just spent the whole time picking it apart because I was already soured.

Why in the hell would Adam Cole agree to that match on the week he has War Games and a title defense at Survivor Series? Moreover, why wouldn't he tie something to accepting the match? "Sure, I'll do this dangerous ladder match, on the condition that Ciampa tells us who his fourth guy is."

And if you're Pete Dunne, the guy who's likely facing Cole at Survivor Series, how does it make you feel that you're about to lose to a guy who's had a ladder match and a War Games match this week while you've had the opportunity to sit home and rest up until Takeover?

The men and women don't have to be 50/50 equal! Just because the girls did the ladder match for the "advantage", doesn't mean the guys have to as well. Find something else. Do the classic coin flip.

I think I might also be over the contrived ladder structures that get built in all these matches. Seeing them have to do the ushigoroshi, burning hammer knee thing and other big bumps in less than a quarter of the ring (while one guy is too tall to bump in that small a space to begin with) so that they could tease Dijak's final bump for 10 minutes was dumb.

The whole show felt like a trainwreck, because they're trying to build to two completely separate pay per views one day after the other.

I was worried for a second though that Ciampa would name Seth his fourth guy at the end, so I'm glad they didn't go that direction.

For a show that felt like it was trying to sell me on two PPVs, I still don't know who Team Ciampa's fourth guy is and I don't know at all who's on Team NXT at Survivor Series.

Maybe I was just grumpy last night.

Coach, I think the winning team at Takeover (Team Ciampa) will add whoever wins between Riddle vs Balor to have their Survivor Series team. I'm just surprised none of this was announced.

All your points are valid. I mentally checked out of the ladder match because I never really get into those anymore.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:33 PM.

The ladder match was the only thing that really bothered me from last night. Watching a guy try to navigate up a ladder with another ladder blocking the path because we all know that guy needs to do that so he can be in position to go through the worked ladder - it just takes the viewer out of it when it's that contrived.

Through all of this brand team bullshit, I do love Ciampa trying to keep it real like taking out Cole on the outside last night.

AAARGH! I'm so fucking pumped! You know what's really good, they didn't say "history making revolutionary look we let a lady do a thing" 5000 times. They said it once, after shouting about fighting a bunch.

NXT will never be as big as Raw or SD, but it'll likely always be the better show. And it's because it feels so much less corporate.

The Bianca heel turn is really random, tbh. However, anyone else see Dakota Kai turning heel and helping Team Bazler at wargames?

Oh yeah. I actually thought she'd turn to be the fourth member of the heel team, but I could definitely see her costing Ripley's team the match by going after Nox.

The Bianca heel turn is really random, tbh.
    She's been tweener her entire run.

Kai's somehow being involved in the finish of the women's match, right? I'm not being daft in seeing that all this stuff about her not getting picked and then not proving herself - twice - is gearing up to something this weekend, where she either turns or, more likely, costs the face team.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    The men and women don't have to be 50/50 equal! Just because the girls did the ladder match for the "advantage", doesn't mean the guys have to as well. Find something else. Do the classic coin flip.

I think I might also be over the contrived ladder structures that get built in all these matches. Seeing them have to do the ushigoroshi, burning hammer knee thing and other big bumps in less than a quarter of the ring (while one guy is too tall to bump in that small a space to begin with) so that they could tease Dijak's final bump for 10 minutes was dumb.
    I can't help but agree on this - especially as the two ladder matches were in the main event slot on back to back episodes. Finishes were similar too, with someone going off the ladder and through another to let the other person win - if Strong (say) had run in and done what KLR did the week before they'd have been exactly the same match.

And, I mean, it never makes sense for the faces to get the first man advantage in WarGames anyway. The whole story around the thing is that the heels have the advantage every time. Every. Single. Time. So what's the difference between doing this big dramatic ladder match and just going 'Regal tossed a coin, heels are first' on the night.

Also, also also also - if they're doing something really wild, the disappointment he had with Undisputed Era when they attacked Owens is a tease of HHH showing up as the fourth man for Team Ciampa. Now, personally I see that as a more likely scenario for Survivor Series, where they've still not announced the male NXT team - maybe they're waiting to see who comes out of WarGames to messed up to go the next night or something - but it would be a trump move. And equally - who's left that's big enough to add to Lee, Dijakovic, and Ciampa? Gargano is out injured because Balor dropped him on his head once and he wasn't allowed to no sell it for once, Dunne, Priest, Dain, Balor, and Riddle are all elsewhere on the card, Dream's got a back injury otherwise would be the perfect choice, Kushida's kind of the same as he's out with a wrist injury I think - what are they going to do, put Fandango in there or something?

Swerve Scott is basically the only potential I could think of that might not be a completely odd choice.

Or - shit - what if Owens accepts HHH's invitation to come back to NXT and is the fourth man?

where she either turns or, more likely, costs the face team.
    Doesn't that go hand and hand??

I don't think so, no - she could very distinctly turn heel by coming in and attacking the faces.

She could cost the face team via accidental kick, chair shot or similar - like she goes for a shot on Shayna who's being held by Tegan, Shayna ducks, Tegan gets blasted by accident, Shayna pins for the win. Dakota 'costs' them the win, but doesn't actually turn heel. I think that's more likely, as it continues the story of Kai not quite being good enough/savvy enough. I'd rather see that and them develop her as a complex character than for them to go straight to the heel turn, which may not need to ever happen. The other good thing there is that when Kai does start proving herself she can move up by beating the people on the heel side here in order to get a shot at Shayna. It's the story they did with Bayley, but with a bit of a twist.
    Last edited by Oliver; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:25 AM.

The WWE just announced that the next NXT PPV will be World's Collide 2020 on the Saturday of Royal Rumble Weekend. Why? Why have the NXT PPV the night before any WWE PPV? Why not put it a week or two later (or before for that matter)? Does WWE corporate not think that NXT could sell out an arena on it's own, and they bundle sell tickets (i.e. buy both shows for 1 lower price).

It doesn't make any sense to me, unless it is the monetary reasons.

They do it for that exact reason. NXT can't sell out an arena usually. They ran a 5k seater in a market not too far from me and drew less than a strong night with one of the local indies. Takeover 25 was right in WWE's backyard and has never actually had the attendance made public.

They run on the same weekend as the WWE shows for the same reason ROH, GCW, etc. come to WrestleMania. Wrestling fans who are travelling want to see more wrestling, and they can put a fraction of their money behind promoting two back-to-back nights than trying to promote NXT standalone events.

It's been a proven success to this point, so why would they change that until it's not?

I think last year's Worlds Collide PPV gave the winner prize related to the Rumble.

Other than that, it's monetary. Creates content, and likely drives better viewership. I enjoyed Survivor Series weekend having a show on both nights, making an event of the weekend.

EDIT, Winner got a title shot of their choosing.

But the real reason was this show wasn't filmed in an arena. It was part of the AXXESS weekend.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:22 PM.

Isn't the next Takeover the Portland(?) one they advertised over the weekend?

Yeah, but NXT will be part of Worlds Collide the next NXT related PPV. Takeover will be in Feb.

Ah, I see - seems to be NXT vs NXT UK, now that I've looked into it a bit more.

Can we have thirty minutes of WALTER throwing Adam Cole into the sun, please?

Looks like Mauro will not be calling NXT tonight.

Graves should be severely reprimanded. Like fined and/or suspended.

I'll be curious to see the chemistry of whoever is used instead. I love Mauro's energy and knowledge, but the references get tiresome. So we'll see how it goes.

Should be a good show following the momentum from Survivor Series weekend. Very curious to see where Keith Lee and Rhea Ripley will stand moving forward.

Anyone but Michael Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Graves should be severely reprimanded. Like fined and/or suspended.
    Now that he's issued an apology (albeit one of those "I'm sorry if you were offended" apologies that are so tacky you might as well stick to your guns) I'd venture to guess nothing will come of it. People will dig into their positions, WWE will let it blow over, Mauro will (hopefully) return at some point and we'll all move on with our lives.

Yet another instance of a corporation sweeping things under the rug instead of addressing the issue.

The 'apology' was total PR and no empathy. Suspend him (with pay) by keeping him from calling TV shows and PPVs for the next month or 2, but not from his other responsibilities. It is akin to pro athletes, the only thing they respond to is playing time. Announcers want to be on air, so take that away from him.

Honestly, Graves is just a toxic person, and some of his tweets makes him look like a teenage girl seeking attention. He's not even that good as a heel commentato, imo. JBL was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Yet another instance of a corporation sweeping things under the rug instead of addressing the issue.
    Quite the assumption. Just because it's not done publicly doesn't mean they've done nothing about it.

Also, there's no real proof that Mauro is absent and deleted his twitter because of Graves. I agree that that's exactly what it looks like, but you know what they say about correlation not equaling causation.

I thought Graves was outstanding as a commentator when he was on NXT TV. I don't really know much of his work on the main roster, I tend to listen to it with the volume off as I can't stand the commentary in general.

Phillips and Graves, as a combo, were as good as NXT commentary got in 2016.

There are definitely people that don't like Graves as a commentator but I don't think the backlash around him has much to do with that anymore than the backlash against Seth Rollins has to do with his ring work. Like Rollins, Graves has become unpopular largely because of how he's behaved on social media; even before this there were weird instances of him going off on drunken ramblings or going after CM Punk or that thing with his wife and Carmela (though in fairness to Graves that was a smear campaign by his wife). I think it's more that that's led to people turning on Graves than his commentary skills or lack thereof (which I can't speak to; the last time I listened to him was four years ago, when I thought he was really good).

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    There are definitely people that don't like Graves as a commentator but I don't think the backlash around him has much to do with that anymore than the backlash against Seth Rollins has to do with his ring work. Like Rollins, Graves has become unpopular largely because of how he's behaved on social media; even before this there were weird instances of him going off on drunken ramblings or going after CM Punk or that thing with his wife and Carmela (though in fairness to Graves that was a smear campaign by his wife). I think it's more that that's led to people turning on Graves than his commentary skills or lack thereof (which I can't speak to; the last time I listened to him was four years ago, when I thought he was really good).
    I think that's largely correct.

Graves is pretty good, but I think he's a personality that really doesn't care if anyone likes him personally so he's going to say what he's going to say, probably not make any friends, and so long as his work is good he knows he'll have his job. It's not like anyone is tuning in or out based on who's calling matches.

I don't think he's going to change his social media behaviour based on whether or not wrestling fans, or even his peers, like him. He's obviously held in high regard by the company (probably higher than Mauro just based on versatility) as they keep giving him more and more, and based on his conversation with Triple H on his first podcast he seems to have a really good report with the office. Sometimes in the corporate world, that matters more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    I'll be curious to see the chemistry of whoever is used instead. I love Mauro's energy and knowledge, but the references get tiresome. So we'll see how it goes.
    Let me preface this by saying that I have nothing personally against the guy, and don't like to see people suffer from mental health issues. This isn't a "good, he's had a mental breakdown and he's gone" thing. However, I don't think that anyone is above criticism of their performance for any reason.

Like I said, he's number two on my least favourite list. The references and hip-hop shit is overwhelming. I'm sure he's good in an MMA or Boxing environment where he can't look at the spot happening and know he's got 30 seconds of selling to fit in a reference or something.

I feel a lot of times like I'm getting a parody of the Mauro that was on SmackDown whenever he calls a match. He doesn't seem to be able to match the seriousness of the situation a lot of times, and is some reason physically incapable of saying the words "women's division".

I watched Takeover last night for the first time, and there were points where he'd literally cut off Beth or Nigel, mid sentence, to scream about a move that was done or scream a pop culture reference. It's been happening more and more on NXT shows, too.

I appreciate his energy, but sometimes it's too much. Commentary is supposed to be enhancing the viewing experience. If you're freaking out for a fairly large bump that isn't even going to be used as a false finish just as much as you freak out over the actual finish, then the big finish actually means less because it only means as much as that big bump. There's a time and a place for that, but every single match in every position on every card isn't it.

JR would lose his mind over big stuff that was usually going to be a false finish in a main event level match. If Triple H hit a guy in the head with a sledgehammer, JR would go over the top like it was the finish. That's the definition of a false finish. But he wasn't at damn near aneurysm levels over Triple H's spinebuster that never finished anyone.

To me, it's the same theory as using a really loud ring. Some rings, because of their construction, are really loud just to move around in. If the ring you're in is particularly loud for some reason, you try to move around in it a little less, especially in the very centre. The reason being, that if running the ropes or a simple scoop bodyslam makes the same sound as the top rope spanish fly finish, the people subconsciously believe that they're the same "size" bump. If everything is huge (if every night is "the greatest night in the history of our sport"), nothing is huge.