Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NXT

He's connecting just fine.

Ugh, fooled by the noobs again!

Judging how someone is doing in a promotion you don't watch by the comments of the fanbase with the most negative output possible is the first mistake.

Cameron is very fresh in his push, so expecting him to be over like Goldberg is unreasonable. But he already garnered a better reaction on the last NXT than any of his previous matches. He's getting a slow push, and it's working, but it's in the early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    He's connecting just fine.
    Is he though? There were about 12 wrestlers who got a better pop on the night, and that's being very generous to him. I think the average audience is looking at him like Oli atm. The thing is, most guys who can seriously go in the ring arent much in the charisma department- that's a rare breed. And I don't see the "IT" factor when I see the guy pick up a mic, or thumb his hat like an over anxious schoolboy with his first girl.

Very similar to Roddy. Dude can go in a ring, but dont ask much in terms of promos. So my main gripe with Grimes is why change a gimmick that will easily work, in order to put him in deep waters you are pretty sure most can't tread? It's a ditch effort to connect him. It'll be a short window if he's drawing less pops than Dakota Kai, no matter the intention.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 10-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.

He's had no promos, and maybe 6 matches. Comparing him to the rest of the roster isn't fair. Compare him to the other guys who debuted for that breakout tournament, and tell me Cameron isn't the most over and best pushed despite not winning it?

Wasnt Swerve in that tournament? He just had a showcase match with Roddy

I didn’t bother to look up if he was in that so...
    Last edited by LK3185; 10-14-2019 at 02:44 PM.

I don't really have anything bad to say about Grimes I'm just not a fan of the hat. Makes him stand out from other bearded wrestlers though I guess. I do agree with Pen he got his best reaction yet on the latest episode of NXT.

He's had no promos, and maybe 6 matches. Comparing him to the rest of the roster isn't fair. Compare him to the other guys who debuted for that breakout tournament, and tell me Cameron isn't the most over and best pushed despite not winning it?
    I don't thing this is wrong - my point was simply his connection with me. I've got hopes for him, but I don't really know who Cameron Grimes is yet, and aside from that one rambling promo in a scrapyard (was it in a scrapyard? For some reason in my head it was in a scrapyard) I'm not sure he's had much of a chance to tell us either.

There's definitely something there with him, I'd like to see NXT get it out of him. We've said that recently NXT hasn't done much in the way of promos, and that's what I'd like to see Grimes having - pre-match or post-match promos to tell us who his character is. Because other than 'dude in hat' I've got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Wasnt Swerve in that tournament? He just had a showcase match with Roddy

I didnít bother to look up if he was in that so...

He was. He lost to.... Cameron Grimes in the 1st round. I think his match against Roddy was his 2nd Televised match. And he was one of the guys who got a bigger pop.

I have only been watching NXT tv again since it came to USA. Had stopped all but Takeovers for last few years.

Swerve>>> Grimes

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    (Swerve) was. He lost to.... Cameron Grimes in the 1st round. I think his match against Roddy was his 2nd Televised match. And he was one of the guys who got a bigger pop.
    Fair point, though he's also had exposure on 205 Live. I don't know how much that's worth in NXT these days though, as 205 Live is an after thought.

That Breakout Tournament had a lot of interesting stars, but Cameron Grimes is the one getting the most attention. Not a bad choice, but I felt Dexter Lumis was the most interesting character, and am waiting for more from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I don't thing this is wrong - my point was simply his connection with me. I've got hopes for him, but I don't really know who Cameron Grimes is yet, and aside from that one rambling promo in a scrapyard (was it in a scrapyard? For some reason in my head it was in a scrapyard) I'm not sure he's had much of a chance to tell us either.

There's definitely something there with him, I'd like to see NXT get it out of him. We've said that recently NXT hasn't done much in the way of promos, and that's what I'd like to see Grimes having - pre-match or post-match promos to tell us who his character is. Because other than 'dude in hat' I've got nothing.
    It's still early, on a show that is also in transition. He's still getting over, and I still feel he's doing fine overall. I don't really care for him either, but I don't care for Ricochet, and he's obviously doing fine too.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 10-15-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Didn't Swerve also get on 205 Live? Not so much a promotion as a sidestep, I guess, but I seem to remember him being in a 5 on 5 match. Also maybe a one off bout with Gulak?

Wait, are Tegan Nox and Ciampa having their NXT return matches on the same night? That's pretty stiff, WWE. Maybe hold one off a week so that Nox isn't completely overshadowed.

What's the point of spreading it out an extra week? She's barely had any exposure, so it's like her debut essentially - she'll win a squash/establishing match whether its this week or next. Her return would have been overshadowed by almost anything else that takes place.

I agree. She's still a newbie to NXT audiences and needs to be built up. Has she even had a NXT TV match?

COACH, do you have any insight how restrictive it is for Tegan Nox to work with 2 knee braces?

Based on conversation with Coach in the General Discussion thread about how NXT is still a developmental promotion, wiith some stars that are well above the developmental stage, you could clearly see last night that this was the case. The matches and the show was good, but it did not compare the AEW's show last night. AEW's roster is mostly veterans with years of experience, with many fresh faces to the general viewer. But those new faces have experience and the matches showed that.

NXT was good, but some of the matches looked like developmental talent still working out how to wrestle matches, which is ok. The stand out star of last night was Keith Lee. He should be the next break out star. A guy that size with the agility and stamina. Wow. I have not heard him speak, can he? I do not know. But from the 2 matches I saw him, wow, just wow.

The rest of the show was ok. Rhea Ripley has presence, and with practice, will be killer on the mic. Shayna Baszler needs mic work, because her promo was meh, but overall I like her and her crew.

But to who won the night? AEW was more polished, and all around told better stories. Each match had a purpose and moved the overall product forward.

I like NXT and I want it to succeed, but so far I think it is 3-0 in AEW's favor.

But those new faces have experience and the matches showed that.
    I mean, define experience?

NXT had three people who, I think, are purely PC trained - Kayden Carter, Boa and Taynara - who were basically only out there to take a loss.

Otherwise, the least experience on the show was Matt Riddle (4 years) who is often flagged as having a spectacular natural talent for pro wrestling following his MMA transition. Otherwise you're looking at the six/seven years of Aichner, Nox, and Dijak, all of whom are well travelled and seasoned within that time frame. I think almost everyone else on the show last night had a decade or more experience of pro-wrestling.

I don't think that's particularly different from AEW having the likes of Darby Allin, Jungle Boy, and Marko Stunt, all of whom are 22 and have 3/4 years experience, turning up to take losses while the more experienced guys on the roster top and bottom shows.

So, I'd say the blend in talent experience is pretty similar. What you might be right to say, though, is that the experienced guys on the AEW roster - your Jericho's, Moxley's, Rhodes' etc - have more experience of wrestling in front of a camera where selling to that camera is the number one aim. You don't get that a lot in the talent that NXT have - arguably it's the major thing that NXT coaches people to do.

As far as NXT goes, I really dug the show last night but do think it's their weakest recent effort. 8 matches is probably the most they've done in that timeframe, and I think there wasn't a lot which really stuck around as a result - part of that was to get guys like Ciampa, Nox, and Dain big wins that reestablish themselves, so many of the matches were reasonably one sided. I think that made the overall show a little squiffy.

Personally, I'd probably have pulled two out of the three Nox, Dain, and Riddle matches and then given a bit more time to Ciampa/Garza and whichever one of those was kept. I think otherwise there was some pretty good stuff on the show.

I did like that we got some backstage stuff with the UE, too - the shows have been lacking that.

I can't really be bothered to rank one show against the other going forward, as I've just been enjoying having two really good wrestling shows airing in a week. Three if you count the NWA Powerrr one. Whether one is better than the other is going to become really moot soon.

Just want to clarify Ollie; Kayden Carter isn't PC trained. She wrestled in Mexico for The Crash for several years as Lacey Lane before WWE signed her. Unless I hallucinated seeing her at that Crash WrestleCon show at last year's Wrestlemania. Which I may have!

Oli, that's is fair and a good explanation.

One thing I noticed during the Io/Rhea confrontation is just how dominant the NXT women's division is. It's better than the main roster and any other promotion hands down. What I mean is that all of the top contenders are beasts, and ass kickers. I am a fan of Becky and Alexa, but nothing they do feels physically threatening. But Bianca, Rhea, Io, and champ Shayna are all vicious. It feels more legitimate when they are in the ring, instead of Aliyah.

Solid, but unspectacular show last night. 3 squash matches in a row is hard to digest. Even though Lee vs Dijak and Priest vs Dunne were matches of the night between both programs, AEW had the better flow overall.

One thing I've noticed since AEW started is how every WWE program feels like segments just thrown in order. NXT delivers almost all good to great pieces, but I feel like I can watch the show in increments and not miss out on any of the energy or flow. All those matches could have been taped on separate days and in another order, and then restructured for TV, and nothing changes. That's not a bad thing really. But it does cause a disconnect from my enthrallment during the show.

AEW on the other hand feels like something you sit and watch the entire show without interruption. The flow is tremendous. Even if the matches and promos aren't my style or of the same quality (looking at you, Britt), the show is more enjoyable.

And Powder, I'll take the respectful approach here. But to say NXT felt like developmental with inexperienced workers, while AEW is comprised of veterans, is completely inaccurate. Most of the NXT roster shown on TV are equally, if not more so, experienced as the AEW roster. The developmental portion aren't on TV, or are the ones putting over the NXT stars. Of everyone who got a spotlight last night, Matt Riddle is the least experienced, and he's been doing this for over 4 years, after being an MMA athlete since 2008. Where developmental comes into play is teaching them how to work for a camera, how to work on promos/speech/emphasis... But in the ring? Most are already there.

EDIT
    Thanks Oli
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Just want to clarify Ollie; Kayden Carter isn't PC trained. She wrestled in Mexico for The Crash for several years as Lacey Lane before WWE signed her. Unless I hallucinated seeing her at that Crash WrestleCon show at last year's Wrestlemania. Which I may have!
    Oh! I didn't know! Well there you go then. I did see she was Team 3D trained. There are a few of their trainees about, aren't there?
    Last edited by Oliver; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:31 AM.

Pen, that's fair, as I agreed with Oli also.

Last night is my 4th NXT show that I have watched. I know about most of the roster based on reading and snippets, but with only 3 weeks in, I am comparing NXT to AEW, and I agree with your and Oli's assessment.

I take your, Oli and Cult's breakdown of how long each performer has been working, but just looking at the two shows from a newbie to NXT and we all are newbies to AEW, it seems like NXT looks less polished, and less experienced. All three of you pointed out that the wrestlers have about equal experience, but not in front of cameras and for a TV audience, and it shows much more on NXT and comes across as a minor league on TV.

That being said, I am liking what I see on NXT, and I am hoping that Keith Lee and Rhea Ripley have are the next big things. My concern is that Lee is already 34, and still needs seasoning and polishing, and the window may unfortunately close on him before it has a chance to open. Ripley on the other hand is 23 and will be the future of the Women's division.

In all honesty, the AEW Tag Title tournament was a genius idea. It created a reason to tune in to see stars you don't know. NXT is going about it the hard way and just putting exhibition matches on TV, and hoping the stars connect. AEW is putting new stars on TV, and giving the matches stakes already. There was still LAX vs jobbers, but having matches of consequence before and after it made the show flow better.

NXT still has the style I prefer, but execution has been weaker than I was used to from their Network productions.

What I did like was seeing more backstage story telling. The UE attack on Dream, the Regal outrage at Strong, then the UE chasing Regal backstage...etc. NXT needs to get back to using these methods to tell stories more. It feels like they are trying to out-AEW at their own game and trying to tell their stories in the ring like AEW was claiming they were planning, but you can't. Not in the WWE umbrella, and not until you break out of the WWE mold. shayna isn't a strong enough promo to expect her to cut something live like last night. But having her thugs attack Tegan in the locker room in a pre-tape? That is the NXT I have been looking for.

Thought the NXT show was really good. The women in the 2 hour show are really getting a chance to shine and that's a good thing.

The women's division in NXT is amazing atm. There is so much top level talent it is crazy. Shayna, Io, Rhea, Bianca, hell even Tegan. Stronger than the main roster imo.

I thought this episode of NXT was pretty damn good. Definitely best match of the night across both feds between Pete and Damian. I am surprised they brought Pete over from UK just to lose so much! They are focusing on character work more. Only a few boring/missable spots. For the life of me I can't understand Killian Dain's booking. I don't think they know what to do with him. Granted, everyone beats Boa, but Killian is just hot and cold/up and down week after week. Im sure he'll lose to Pete next.

I am hype as heck for Belair vs Ripley. Really hope that delivers, but more than anything hope they a clear winner to then go on and challenge Shayna and not a redo of the story with Strong/Dijakovic/Lee from last week or anything else like that.

Only question is - what of Io Shirai given her promo last week? She clearly considers herself next in line, so the fact that these two are facing off is going to piss her right off. I'm cool with her coming out and shit kicking whoever wins, just want there to be that clear winner.

Not much announced for NXT tonight, which I'm concerned means we get another show like last week where there are multiple short(er) matches. Other than Rhea vs Bianca, the only announced bout is Strong vs Lee vs Dijakovic for the North American title.

I imagine those two will both get plenty of time, but the other things they are trailing Finn Balor's past being his future and Dunne dealing with Priest and Dain.

At the very least, I hope they do something with the structure of the show - it was off last week. I'd actually quite like to see an in ring promo at some point in the show to occupy some of the time, just for it being something different than non-stop action.

Hopefully they start to paint a clearer picture of where they're going for WarGames this year, too - the move to USA has meant that building to that seems to have taken a bit of a backseat. It's possible they're doing Ciampa vs Cole there, I suppose, but for me UE are locks for actually being in the cell.

Unless that's the long game they're playing - UE vs Ciampa, Lee, Djakovic and someone else (Dream?) in WarGames, perhaps?

I am hype as heck for Belair vs Ripley. Really hope that delivers, but more than anything hope they a clear winner to then go on and challenge Shayna and not a redo of the story with Strong/Dijakovic/Lee from last week or anything else like that.

Only question is - what of Io Shirai given her promo last week? She clearly considers herself next in line, so the fact that these two are facing off is going to piss her right off. I'm cool with her coming out and shit kicking whoever wins, just want there to be that clear winner.

Not much announced for NXT tonight, which I'm concerned means we get another show like last week where there are multiple short(er) matches. Other than Rhea vs Bianca, the only announced bout is Strong vs Lee vs Dijakovic for the North American title.

I imagine those two will both get plenty of time, but the other things they are trailing Finn Balor's past being his future and Dunne dealing with Priest and Dain.

At the very least, I hope they do something with the structure of the show - it was off last week. I'd actually quite like to see an in ring promo at some point in the show to occupy some of the time, just for it being something different than non-stop action.

Hopefully they start to paint a clearer picture of where they're going for WarGames this year, too - the move to USA has meant that building to that seems to have taken a bit of a backseat. It's possible they're doing Ciampa vs Cole there, I suppose, but for me UE are locks for actually being in the cell.

Unless that's the long game they're playing - UE vs Ciampa, Lee, Djakovic and someone else (Dream?) in WarGames, perhaps?
    They are most definitely gonna do UE versus a Dream Team! No doubt Dijak and Keith will get screwed by UE tonight, leading to a team forming with Velveteen. Though Imperium is showing up a lot... maybe they will play a part?

I think Io interferes before the match is over, creating another triple threat. I agree too many triple threats forming.

Tonight I suspect Pete will have a match.

Maybe a Miles Jordan match? Im sure Cameron will have a squash match against Boa again or some stupid crap like that.

Finn Balor will either wrestle or talk- either way a good bathroom/snack break.

I seem to recall that Velveteen Dream is going to be out for a bit and that angle last week was to write him off. So you guys may have to prepare for Adam Cole and the three guys who carry Adam Cole vs. Lee, Donovan Dickhead (tis a Being the Elite joke, relax), Ciampa and the human snooze button Finn Balor. Although that may be worth because it means we'll get a Balor-Cole confrontation, leading to easily the most excessive, over indulgent, overrated segment in the history of wrestling!

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Im sure Cameron will have a squash match against Boa again or some stupid crap like that.
    More squashes, please! Let the stars look like stars. My highlight of last week's AEW show, when I finally go around to watching it, was Santana and Ortiz laying waste to two brones rather than having a 25 minute match where they eek'd it out in the end. These are two new TV shows, let's establish who the stars are for the fans who might not know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I seem to recall that Velveteen Dream is going to be out for a bit and that angle last week was to write him off. So you guys may have to prepare for Adam Cole and the three guys who carry Adam Cole vs. Lee, Donovan Dickhead (tis a Being the Elite joke, relax), Ciampa and the human snooze button Finn Balor. Although that may be worth because it means we'll get a Balor-Cole confrontation, leading to easily the most excessive, over indulgent, overrated segment in the history of wrestling!
    Man, did Balor and Cole double team your ex or something?

They're two of the most marketable, mainstream-friendly guys on any roster in wrestling today and they can get it done in the ring. Not enough flipz?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    If they did I haven't heard about it! Also the joke's on them; my ex was big in the My Little Pony and unicorn fetish scene. I am open to anything but come on now!

They're two of the most marketable, mainstream-friendly guys on any roster in wrestling today and they can get it done in the ring. Not enough flipz?

THEY AREN'T EVEN THE MOST MARKETABLE GUYS ON THEIR OWN BRAND! Like I know Velveteen Dream is still RAW and is out for awhile but that guy screams far more money than Balor or Cole if they use him right.

I'm pretty sure this is now the 9,001st time I'm giving this explanation (or something similar to it), but once again, I have just never seen it in either guy. And remember that I've seen a lot of both guys outside of the NXT umbrella. Finn Balor is a charisma vacuum who does a lot of moves other guys do a whole lot better and has gotten by because he wrestled in New Japan, once had a funny line ("CAPTAIN FOOKIN NEW JAPAN?! GET DA FOOK OUTTA HERE!") and if you wrestled in New Japan you have to be a great wrestler. Adam Cole is a guy with a catchphrase who relies on start-stop action, move overdose (note that Johnny Gargano has this issue too) and teaming with really talented people (be it the Undisputed Era or the Bullet Club) to hide the fact that he too doesn't have all that much there. Of course like Balor he worked in Japan and also Ring of Honor, and if you worked in those places before the past few years you had to be great! If Adam Cole and Finn Balor had no indie history and were just two guys WWE taught in the PC they would be loathed, not because they were WWE PC guys but because once you remove the indie cred, the Halloween face paint rip off and "Adam Cole Babay!" there's not a whole lot to see. They're two very bland performers who do jack shit for me and while I definitely take it over the top a good portion of the time for the purposes of humor, I'll make no bones that I think they're the most overrated big name talents out there. Well other than Bobby Roode; I still can't figure out how people have ever seen anything in him!

It factor Bobby Roode ruled

I'm thinking the women's title will end up defended in a fatal 4 way soon, Shayna vs Rhea vs Io vs Bianca.

Concerning announced matches, having 2 NXT weekly main event matches announced is pretty good. I guess you're comparing to AEW when thinking it isn't much, but most weekly TV shows barely announce as far ahead as NXT does. Add the Finn segment, which is also TV main event worthy, and it's a decent looking show.

More squashes, please! Let the stars look like stars. My highlight of last week's AEW show, when I finally go around to watching it, was Santana and Ortiz laying waste to two brones rather than having a 25 minute match where they eek'd it out in the end. These are two new TV shows, let's establish who the stars are for the fans who might not know.

The issue with squashes/establishing matches is how many (in a row) there were.
    Ciampa vs Garza opened the show, then it was a competitive tag match between Imperium and Burch/Lorcan.

Then it was Shirai vs Kayden Carter, followed by the big man Dijak vs Lee battle.

Then it went overboard. Riddle vs Bronson Reed, then Tegan Nox vs Taynara, Dain vs Boa....

It was a good show. Solid. But unspectacular. And a big part was how many of these matches had predictable endings after a short contest. It made for a disappointing show overall.

As for Cult's ragging on Cole and Balor, I understand the Cole one. Not to the extreme Icon goes to, but I'm still not seeing the big deal about him. Both men are solid and amazing talents, charismatic and dependable. But the problem is when the talk turns to calling them main event stars... that's where I have the disconnect. I see nothing about Cole that makes him a top draw, without being in a stable that he controls. I want to see him lose the title, yet not because he's Adam Cole and an amazing heel who makes me hate him, but because I want the guy who sneaks out the win thanks to the numbers game to get his comeuppance. Nothing wrong with the cheap heel tactic, and I feel it is lacking in modern wrestling (at least when executed properly). But I never get invested in his matches or promos enough for it to warrant a main event spot.

Both guys, and Roode for the matter, are super solid and dependable. But they don't create excitement, nor are their matches exciting. Dependable to deliver 3 to sometimes 4 star quality matches with the right opponent, but never above that, and never with the drama I've come to expect from NXT main events. Even lackluster stories like Gargano vs Andrade was more interesting because Gargano was at his peak as a babyface, and Andrade might have been the last great in-ring worker to be NXT champion. Ciampa is incredibly interesting, and very talented, so he might equal Andrade if he gets a chance to show a bit more (his best work was vs Gargano, so I'm waiting to see him keep that level with a different opponent before I rank him alongside Almas).

I want to see Cole lose, and see Balor win, and see Roode compete. Yet it's not because of what they bring to the table necessarily, but because of how others bounce off them. That's an important skill, and I'm not attempting to diminish their top qualities. But those qualities don't grab my attention, or draw me in. I want to watch a Ciampa match. It can be vs Kona Reeves, I won't care. Ciampa draws me in. Same with Keith Lee, Donovan Dijak, Matt Riddle.... but not Cole, Balor, or Roode. Maybe the Demon Balor. Or maybe if any of them evolved a bit into a new direction. Cole hasn't done anything for me since he debuted, and both 2019 babyface Finn and heel Roode feel very midcard. Booking could fix it, but as they are now... I can pass.

I still think Balor's NXT title run was the most creatively stagnant period the NXT title has ever had. That might be because it dragged on F O R E V E R. But equally outside of the moments with the Demon I couldn't name a remarkable thing that happened or match he had during that period.

The Joe story is about all that happened. And that was more about Joe than Finn.

Aaaaanyway - I want Rhea to win everything.

I admit I enjoyed Balor's NXT run but when looking back I agree it perhaps wasn't that interesting. I look back at the Takeovers during his run as very memorable, but they also had some incredible undercard matches on them.

As far as tonight, I want Rhea to win but I don't want Bianca to lose. I like Pen's idea of the fatal fourway at the next Takeover.

Well, that was likely the best non-special edition of NXT I've ever seen. Great show.

What a main event and an awesomely unpredictable ending. Thought we were going to see a War Games matchup develop as the faces came out one by one.

I think that might be why it was so effective for me, numb - we're at the point where they need to be building up to the WarGames Takeover and that match, and it felt like it was all falling together with DIY and Finn being almost an NXT super team to take them on. Only to immediately throw that on it's head. Perfect.

Well, that was likely the best non-special edition of NXT I've ever seen. Great show.
    I certainly think this was the best since they've gone live. Always dubious of saying all time because there are things like the August 21st(?) 2013 show with Zayn/Cesaro 2/3 falls on it, which also had AJ Lee vs Bayley and the dope as heck debut of (Alexander) Rusev where he took Ziggler to the woodshed and I know I loved with all my heart.

Everything that was 'wrong' about the show the week before they got 'right' this week. There was nothing that didn't have consequence on the show, everything felt important, and even the one match that was only really there for a spectacle (Riddle vs Grimes) got followed up with something to make it bleed into another story. Plus, Grimes' best match since being in NXT, hands down.

And then that ending was spot on, and immediately gives Finn new character and motivation.

Really, really well done.

Keith Lee is special. Can the guy use a microphone? If not, enlist Heyman for that guy. He is just so damn athletic and what he can do for a guy his size is really f'n impressive.

He can move like a guy half his size. I am serious that I would love to see Lee vs Lesnar. It would be 2 hosses fighting, but the Lee's athleticism, we would also get the better match, like what Lesnar has against guys like Styles and Bryan.