Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NXT

Last Man Standing match between Gargano and Ciampa was announced as the new main event of Takeover. I was hoping for Hell in a Cell for the third clash of the feud (which may have been in the plans at some point) but on last minute this will do.

Shit. I hate LMS matches.

Same, but NXT is like the only place where i think it could work.

LMS matches are only good if they are done properly. Though waiting for the competitor to get up does make it a lot slower paced.

I think an I quit match would have been better.

I love how they are playing the "Who attacked Aleister Black" angle? This video is great pointing out all the people around on the scene. Props to NXT for doing such a great job with this and having almost the whole roster close by.

I'm behind on Takeover and just saw the Dream/EC3 match. I'm shocked by the result but Dream needed a big win and got it, so it's all good.

I didn't like the Gargano/Ciampa finish at all.

I did in the sense that it works in the story - Gargano's own madness about Ciampa keeps costing him.

Its certainly going to be divisive but I just felt its gone on too long that way. I don't want the babyface to be a reckless dumbass forever.... and I didn't want another match between these two.

I feel like it would have been a different story if Black had been in the match. Gargano was becoming a bit of a weird man in the middle but with his inury it kind of forced them to revert to the same dynamic they had at Chicago.

I do wonder where they all go from here, I can't see Gargano having another match with Ciampa but if Black is out for a while Adam Cole or EC3 are the only guys that could really seem fit to step up against Ciampa. They both lost tonight and with Cole while I have no problem with a heel/heel dynamic it is something the WWE tends to really avoid.

It is very long odds to happen but Finn Balor isn't doing anything of concern on the main roster. Perhaps a brief return to NXT could remind people of the man who was at the forefront of the growth of the branch a few years back.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Every single match on tonight's Takeover was pretty solid. There was no filler on that card at all. I wish that all WWE pay-per-views were three hours tops, instead of the 7-hour Summerslam marathon that awaits later on. I'm getting the crowd is going to crap all over that show due to how long it's going to go.

I enjoyed the ending of the main event. I think it's going to add another layer on Gargano's character. He's let his anger get the best of him and it's cost him all of his matches against Ciampa three times in a row. That has to play on his character's psyche or something, or at least that's what I'm hoping. If not, I don't know where else this can go.

But there's also an ongoing story that in some post-event conference call or something, Triple H said that the ending of that match got changed on the fly because Gargano legit got hurt on that final shot. I'm not sure if I buy that since the camera shots looked like it was all planned, and the announcers didn't sound off-guard, but looking at it again it did seem like there was a chance of injury, the way Gargano landed. It'll probably all tie in to the upcoming story.

In all, the whole show was just great. The main gripe I had were some of the false finishes after some brutal moves. The Burning Hammer on Kyle O'Reilly in the tag match and Adam Cole's insanely-timed superkick followed by the brainbuster on Ricochet were just too much for me to deal with. Those spots should have been match-ending moves.

Baszler being free means she's free for the main roster. She should get fast tracked. Rousey having a mean bitch to play off of could get her out of that all smiles faze quick.

Kairi shouldn't have a long run. She may, but this seems like something to bridge to someone else. Who? No clue. A lot of possibilities. For once maybe a home grown talent.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

I'm trying to think of how much money WWE could make by running a Rousey Vs Baszler match and I genuinely can't arrive at a high enough number.

As for the main event ending prematurely, I don't know. There's too much between the Ciampa/Gargano's shots, from the Chicago ending to the Chicago II callback, to this ending...either that shot was meant as a perfect callback again, in camera work and set up, but to continue, or was the ending planned and they're working people.

Quite genuinely, I think you could write a thesis out of the relationship between Gargano's and Ciampa and all their matches together, even back to the CWC one on one bout. They've elevated the main event level of NXT into a storytelling art. It's exactly what the show needed at the top end.

That was for sure the ending and I, for one (and probably in the minority), thought it was a better finish than the finish to their last match.

As I wrote elsewhere, I like that, basically, gravity won Ciampa the match. He didn't stand, he fell and his body was essentially propped up in a half-stand/half-slouch position thanks to the stage and the handcuffs. On the flipside, gravity/law of motion, cost Gargano the match. He put so much force into the knee that he couldn't stop himself and, instead, ended up knocking himself into a stack of equipment and junk. I've read some reviews that say he looks like an idiot for doing it and there is some truth to that - but at least he wasn't outsmarted by Ciampa the way he was in Chicago.

I liked the finish to that match because it does paint Gargano as an idiot. He's become so angry and obsessed and able to be manipulated by Ciampa that he is now hurting himself.

My one problem with that match...just as I anticipated, exposing the boards became a false finish "holy shit" spot after it required Gargano to be stretchered out in Chicago. I hated that. I can appreciate that every one of their matches builds off of the last and makes callbacks to previous ones, but when I see that it immediately turns me off. If I were structuring that match, I probably would have exposed those boards and never paid it off. Ciampa exposes the boards and gets put through the double table. The crowd would have forgiven it given the finish.

That's the one spot that I think should be saved as a death spot. There is no recovery.

I can see a exposing the boards spot almost becoming as common as tough bumps to the floor or apron bumps..sigh. I mean obviously not as much but a big feud? Expose the boards

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I liked the finish to that match because it does paint Gargano as an idiot. He's become so angry and obsessed and able to be manipulated by Ciampa that he is now hurting himself.
    This is what I love, too. Ciampa is so intent on hurting Gargano that he's turned it into Gargano hurting himself. It's like when you were a child and would grab someone by the wrist then make them hit themselves.

You've got to wonder how the fall out of this now goes on NXT TV. There's scope for a fourth match because Ciampa didn't win, Gargano lost. But equally he's now beaten him two on the bounce and, whether Gargano likes it or not, that should be enough.

In a way, I hope Gargano is injured because it gives us a chance to just breathe a little before a fourth match.

As for exposing the boards - I loved it in Chicago, but yeah I do wish they'd avoided doing it in Brooklyn, or at least using the boards offensively.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    After this week's NXT, I'm unsure what's the direction going to be for Johnny Gargano. It seems the injury thing was a work, given that he will face Velveteen Dream in next week's show (which was already taped - no spoilers, please). There still was that possibility of him being the person who took out Aleister Black, since he skirted around directly answering Regal when asked if he was the one behind the attack. If that plays out, it'll be interesting.

Also, Nikki Cross was back on NXT TV, so it seems like she isn't being called up to the main roster after all. Why was she MIA for so long? Her skit with Regal was hilarious, in any case.

That Dunne-Riccochet match was awesome last night. Shame they didn't have a proper ending but we all knew we weren't getting one anyway on a normal episode of NXT.