Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: NXT

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Mauro. Nothing against his mental issues, but the references feel so very forced, like that super white kid in high school trying to be a G/fit in, and it was just painful to watch. As Coach said he goes absolutely ballistic over simple shit in a match, it waters down his commentary a lot imo. I roll my eyes/desire to change the channel every time someone does a Tope, cause Mauro is gonna act like it was just invented, or God himself just performed it, even if it was sloppy shit. And he cuts people off too much. Honestly, I loooooove Nigel, and it really pisses me off everytime Mauro cuts him off during a show. Mauro is just filler/loud noises, Nigel is always relevant and informative.

Part of me wonders how many guys wind up having an issue/"conflict" with Mauro before people start wondering if maybe Mauro isn't an innocent angel. I'm not excusing JBL or Corey Graves for being dinks, but maybe Mauro isn't so great behind the scenes, and is creating this kind of animosity, then playing the victim card in public? Maybe not? But maybe. We've all had that coworker who does shit like that, and is like an obnoxious know it all. How do/did you feel about them? Maybe that isn't Mauro, but who knows beside the people working there.

Not Dave 7 Stars Meltzer.

And for what it is worth, (not that it has anything to do with this topic) but Corey Graves is fantastic on commentary! He is the closest thing to Bobby Heenan we now have. I always enjoy his dedication to being a heel commentator throughout the night.

So, NXT is stacking the December 18th show - not sure if there's a reason for this, or just because they'll presumably be doing a taped (at best) or best of (at worst) show on Christmas Day itself.

Baszler vs Ripley for the women's title
    Cole vs the winner of Ciampa/Balor/Lee next week for the NXT Championship

They are playing 1-up with AEW, but NXT will be a better show.

AEW is having Jericho wrestle against Jungle Boy, while still teasing a future feud between Lucharsaurus and Moxley.

I know that i have put on some weight in my years, but Kassius Ohno looks terrible.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-05-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Why does Kushida wear Marty McFly's outfit to the ring?

His gimmick since Japan was Time Splitter, with extreme Back to the Future inspiration. His move is/was called the Hoverboard lock as well.

Gotcha...I have absolutely no idea to who he is.

He once came to the ring with Ryusuke Taguchi dressed as Doc Brown to cap it all off...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Ok, now that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    His gimmick since Japan was Time Splitter, with extreme Back to the Future inspiration. His move is/was called the Hoverboard lock as well.
    Wasn't that a play on he and Shelley were splitting their time between NJPW and ROH, or am I crazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Gotcha...I have absolutely no idea to who he is.
    Yeah I feel like since Kushida has only been on USA twice (?) they should have expanded that return video somewhat to reintroduce who he is.

I hope they realize that, being on USA, they might need to put a little more work into telling us who these guys are. They've done an impeccable job with Keith Lee so far and were hitting home runs with Cameron Grimes before he fell off the face of the earth.

Last night was a fantastic episode of NXT. Both title matches were awesome, and I (and probably many others) predicted Ripley winning. Io Shirai is yet another major part of the Women's future. Just look at the WWE's Women's division's future: Ripley, Baszler, Belair, Io, Mia Yim. Yikes.

My concerns:
    Priest vs Dain. Wrong guy won. Killian Dain has a bigger ceiling than Priest in my honest opinion, and I think that Dain should have won, and begin his move into the NXT main event scene. I would love to see an NXT title feud between Lee and Dain.

Grimes vs Kushida....didn't care anything about, at all. Neither guy connects with me.

Banks vs Dunn. Again I am not that big of fan of Dunn, and who the hell is Banks?

And the ending of the fans/locker room coming out to celebrate with Ripley reminded me of when Luger beat Hogan for the WCW title on Nitro in 1998.

Priest vs Dain. Wrong guy won. Killian Dain has a bigger ceiling than Priest in my honest opinion, and I think that Dain should have won, and begin his move into the NXT main event scene. I would love to see an NXT title feud between Lee and Dain.

And the ending of the fans/locker room coming out to celebrate with Ripley reminded me of when Luger beat Hogan for the WCW title on Nitro in 1998.
    Dain won the first match, Priest won this one. So they are 1-1.

As for the ending, my first thought was how it killed the times the ring exploded (Show v Henry superplex).

Dain won the first match, Priest won this one. So they are 1-1.
    Well then Dain should win the rubber match...

As for the ending, my first thought was how it killed the times the ring exploded (Show v Lesnar superplex).
    Fixed, because the Show/Henry superplex was a rehash of the Show/Lesnar same spot.

My thoughts about last night's NXT:

1. The opening segment was not that great as Ripley did not do a good job on the mic. Hopefully, she was just nervous.
    2. Then when everyone came out, it was very mid-2000s Smackdown-esq, and I was looking for Teddy Long to come out to make the 6-women tag match. But the match was fun.
    3. Where has Toni Storm been? Man is she sexy, and her lower body is just yum.
    4. Regardless, NXT continues to show, through the 6 woman match and the singles match later on with Mia Yim and Kayden Carter, that NXT has the best women's division (and possible best division) in all of wrestling.
    5. The Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic put on two really great matches highlighting what great tag team wrestling is supposed to look like. All 4 teams were impressive.
    6. Austin Theory has the making of a star. But let's not put the cart before the horse.
    7. Gargano is not a great promo, but it was effective, and Balor somehow got a lot better, by saying less, and their match will be highly anticipated.
    8. Keith Lee better win the NA Title. The fatal 4-way was good. Dijakovic should also be a star. A guy that size doing what he does is just as impressive as Lee, but Lee connects better with the audience. I could see Dijakovic being the Edge to Lee's Cena.
    9. Cameron Grimes needs to realize that it is not 1977 anymore and get rid of the body hair.
    10. Damien Priest. meh. There are other big guys on the roster that do what he does, who look better, connect better, and have a better gimmick. Also something about the bass of his voice throws me off.

Great Episode, but the clusterfuck opening did not really need to happen.

Final thought. I was to be in a thruple with Toni Storm and Mia Yim.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-09-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Forget all that - WWE are genuinely running a Time Splitters reunion with KUSHIDA and Alex Shelley, and pretty much treating it like it's just a thing that's happening and not a really big deal.

I didn't think Shelley could go any more, I thought injuries had ended his career pretty much. Like, I knew he'd had his little RoH run to tie things off, coming out of retirement, but I thought his NXT role was just going to be a trainer.

As far as other stuff goes - I still have an overwhelming crush on Rhea Ripley, I like Cameron Grimes' look including the body hair, and I hope they keep up the run they're on at the moment because they've been delivering really solid shows through the end of 2019.
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Forget all that....harsh.

I also have that crush on Ripley....

But besides on being in the Storm/Yim thruple, I want Ripley as my side piece that f's the crap out of me.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-09-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Forget all that - WWE are genuinely running a Time Splitters reunion with KUSHIDA and Alex Shelley, and pretty much treating it like it's just a thing that's happening and not a really big deal.

I didn't think Shelley could go any more, I thought injuries had ended his career pretty much. Like, I knew he'd had his little RoH run to tie things off, coming out of retirement, but I thought his NXT role was just going to be a trainer.

As far as other stuff goes - I still have an overwhelming crush on Rhea Ripley, I like Cameron Grimes' look including the body hair, and I hope they keep up the run they're on at the moment because they've been delivering really solid shows through the end of 2019.
    Time Splitters vs. reDRagon to wrestle again is basically a lock too. Good stuff coming from NXT.

NXT was up around 69,000 this week.

From what I hear the overall audience size was unchanged so it sounds roughly like some people who watched AEW the previous week chose to watch NXT this time.

Bit of a surprise given it was a semi-special show over on Dynamite. Perhaps the title match on NXT had something to do with it?

Due to the hardcore fan base of both shows, I am guessing it's that Dynamite was taped with spoilers available.

Ah yes, that would certainly do it.

Velveteen Dream ripping off his top trunks to show the bottom ones with Roderick Strong’s wife and kid’s photo with Dream’s face on them was awesome. I love those little things he does.

I feel stupid for not figuring out the clues from those videos

I love Dream so much. So happy he's back, I feel like he really adds something to the show. It's not been bad without him, but there's an aura around Dream that just makes a show with him involved feel...bigger.

He's probably the only member of the NXT roster I fancy more than Ripley.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Velveteen Dream ripping off his top trunks to show the bottom ones with Roderick Strong’s wife and kid’s photo with Dream’s face on them was awesome. I love those little things he does.
    So he is just ripping off Rick Rude. Got it.

BTW: How much fish would Bobby Fish fry, if Bobby Fish would fry fish?

So what? That was over 30 years ago.

Haven't seen Dream's act in a long time but when I was watching, rip-off isn't really the right term for what he was doing. Pastiche is probably the closest, so unless they've changed the way it's presented in the interim it sounds like that would be a better description.

I would say pastiche covers it. I like that, though, the nods to the history - WWE loves to talk about their own history but hardly ever plays off it. Dream just pitches these things superbly.

The 'Marina, Call Me Up' painted on his butt was excellent as well.

On a different note, I was really happy to see Kacy Catanzaro back in the ring this week. I know we've hardly seen anything from her to date, but every time we have I thought she was impressive. When she vanished off screen, I heard she'd suffered something of a career ending back injury, so completely wasn't expecting to see her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I love Dream so much. So happy he's back, I feel like he really adds something to the show. It's not been bad without him, but there's an aura around Dream that just makes a show with him involved feel...bigger.

He's probably the only member of the NXT roster I fancy more than Ripley.
    I think a big reason is because he's so atypical of NXT. I watched a recent WhatCulture video about things devoted fans of the brand refuse to admit aren't that great, and one thing that really resonated with me was how NXT has one single note. I feel it's the best note in wrestling, but every single angle, feud, and gimmick is about "I'm angry, I'll fight you, Grrr..." Obviously, it's an essential trait and in almost every single wrestling promotion in the history of the "sport". But there is no light side of NXT. Raw, SD, Dynamite, MLW, Powerrr, ROH, Impact.... they all have a side of them that isn't about becoming the top champion at all time. In history, same can be said about WWF, WCW, ECW, AWA, TNA...etc.

But since Dream was injured, NXT has only had one speed, and one note. It's in no way bad, but it means the show overall lacked the variety that I feel is essential to overall success. There are other exceptions, like Breezango, but they were barely featured since Fandango came back (and possibly left injured again?!).

Velveteen Dream breaks up that arguable monotony. He might be competitive, but he's funny, charismatic, and gets at his opponents and angles from a different approach. The purple couch promo NEEDS to return, just to add that flavor to the show.

I think Dream's return will elevate the quality of NXT another level. Even though he's rarely a standout in the ring, he's so wildly different from the standard "I'm an athlete and I'm better than you" gimmick that his TV time will have the show lose some of those moments that drag. It'll be easier to sit through a Forgotten Sons segment knowing that Dream is up next, or was in the opening segment...etc.

Related note, I think that's something we need to keep in mind about Dream's main roster aspirations. He's unique in NXT. He would still be unique on Raw or SD, but nowhere near as much. Forgetting skin color, there's comparisons to New Day or R-Truth in how they use silliness and comedy. He's close to Goldust in terms of mind games.

So reports are resurfacing that Riddle has huge backstage heat about his comments on Lesnar and Goldberg including major heat with Vince himself.

Yesterday Riddle keeps mouthing off about Lesnar and Goldberg and today a video surfaced from a live event where Riddle says that he is going to retire Lesnar.

I really hope that this is a long game being played by all parties involved. Having Riddle keep talking trash on Lesnar, and reports of Vince not liking it, and so on. Keep it up. Then eventually in a a few years, maybe less, when Lesnar finally says he is done (behind the scenes) and you have Vince/Heyman finally call out Riddle and to tell him to shut his mouth. And they set up the Lesnar/Riddle match. But Riddle makes the stipulation of if he wins, then Lesnar retires. Riddle then wins and is a made man forever.

I really hope that this is what is happening. Perfect use of social media, and diet sheets, and leaks.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM.

Man, for someone who reportedly wants people to grab the imaginary brass ring, Vince sure doesn't like it when someone actually puts themselves out there and tries to reach for it and make a name for themselves. Reportedly, at least.

Stories that Taynara has walked out of NXT. A shame if true, I thought she had some real potential.

Exactly. Riddle is doing everything to make a name for himself and he could be huge is the WWE got behind this, but no. Because Vince didnít think of this himself, he has to shit all over it.

If you believe all of this, then Vince is Satan incarnate.

Being an atheist with a sound mind, I know these rumors make no sense, and believe 0% of it

Jury is still out on Vince....

They are trying to determine if he is infact Satan, or just sold his soul.

Vince is a greedy greedy man, and that can be viewed as evil. Other than that, he's not stupid. If there was heat on Riddle, Riddle would have been put in his place, told of the consequences, and they'd be followed up. Instead, Matt keeps going. So either Matt is ridiculously stupid and will be fired any day... Or these rumors are as false as 80% of the dirtsheet headlines

Vince is a greedy greedy man, and that can be viewed as evil. Other than that, he's not stupid. If there was heat on Riddle, Riddle would have been put in his place, told of the consequences, and they'd be followed up. Instead, Matt keeps going. So either Matt is ridiculously stupid and will be fired any day... Or these rumors are as false as 80% of the dirtsheet headlines
    I do not disagree, but my point is that I hope that the WWE has finally learned how to use/abuse the 'leaks', the 'dirt sheets' and social media outlets to their advantage.

I really hope that the story between Vince's supposed heat on Matt Riddle is all part of the long con, which leads to a push for Riddle on RAW, as I previously said:

I really hope that this is a long game being played by all parties involved. Having Riddle keep talking trash on Lesnar, and reports of Vince not liking it, and so on. Keep it up. Then eventually in a a few years, maybe less, when Lesnar finally says he is done (behind the scenes) and you have Vince/Heyman finally call out Riddle and to tell him to shut his mouth. And they set up the Lesnar/Riddle match. But Riddle makes the stipulation of if he wins, then Lesnar retires. Riddle then wins and is a made man forever.

I really hope that this is what is happening. Perfect use of social media, and diet sheets, and leaks.

I don't mean to derail the conversation entirely, but what has Vince ever done that's demonstrably evil?

He's the definition of the American capitalist, so if you view capitalism as evil I suppose you'd view him as evil. But what's he done?

The worst I can think of is possibly paying off the cops in the Snuka case, but even that is nothing more than rumors and conjecture.

But everything else I can think of has a business reason for it. He's done some unsavoury things, no doubt, but it's been my experience that what sets apart people at the tippy top of their fields and everyone else, is the willingness to do those unsavoury things.

I'll agree he can be cruel in order to make a point (firing CM Punk on his wedding day). But evil? I do not see it.

I think you might be reading a bit too far into this one Coach. I believe that Pen was making a joke, but I definitely was.

We get the capitalistic approach, and respect it. For me, the 'evil' association is that he values 'his opinion' over what the fans want, and pushes his agenda over what would make the fans happy, continuously. Two clear examples would be Roman Reigns, and another Rusev. The fans rejected Reigns and clearly wanted RusevDay. Not one for the other, just two distinct unrelated examples.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 01:49 PM.

I don't think he's evil or out of touch, but that's the general internet perception. and I vehemently disagree with it.

My mistake.

A few things that gnawed on me a little bit on NXT when I watched it last night.

First, the matches are waaaaay too long. Devlin vs Breeze didn't need to go a fraction of the time it went and I was nodding off during it. Not that it was a bad match, it just meant nothing but because they had two strong workers they felt the need to have them out there forever in a cold match that meant nothing.

Devlin could have gone over in a quarter of the time and it wouldn't have killed Breeze, but instead they wrestled a match where they countered each other's shit (something I'd rather see in a second or third meeting) and busted out everything. Plus, Devlin's finish looks a lot less impressive and impactful than half of the stuff Breeze kicked out of earlier in the match.

Swerve vs Garza was a similar situation. There were some suuuuuper sloppy exchanges early on (namely a weird capoeira kick thing to nowhere near Garza) and one point in about the middle of the match where it looked like Garza was wrestling himself, Swerve was just along for the ride. I couldn't stand the spot where Garza begged off on his knees and put himself perfectly into position for Swerve's big flying kick thing.

A tiny little thing that just kind of made me raise an eyebrow: I understand that Matt Riddle's a bro (no pun intended), but O'Reilly shouldn't be on his level in terms of the MMA side of things. Mauro was marking out for the two of them as some big MMA confrontation, but legitimate UFC fighter MMA winning record Riddle vs rec league BJJ O'Reilly probably isn't a fair fight.

One final note, I am sick with a cold so maybe it's making me cranky, but Mauro needs to shut his fucking trap. He crams so many words into so few seconds, that it gave me a headache. I invite you to go back and listen to his open of last week's show as an example.

Corey was right. The guy needs to shut up. At one point, Beth is making a point and he straight up cuts her off to pop over a move that was barely a transition spot.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the German Suplex is the Canadian Destroyer of NXT.

I agree on Riddle. Although it’s hard to hype Riddle’s UFC success because many of his wins got overturned for pot use. I’d have no problem if WWE still treated them as wins though and say he left UFC on a five fight win streak.

And I wouldn’t mind Mauro cutting off Beth more. She adds nothing. Get back in the ring.

I see The Rock's daughter has joined the PC.

I like Mauro, but there's this weird thong he does when someone's talking about something and he'll suddenly cut across them to call a move or pinfall. It grinds against me a bit. But largely I don't dislike him as much as others seem to