Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NXT

I think that most people assume that's what's under the canvas, but I personally don't like showing it off. It's like how I know that Aleister Black doesn't rise from the stage like Dracula and it must be some sort of lift device, but I don't want to see how it's done.

Part of the reason I don't like it is that the ring exists as it does for a reason, you're not supposed to know that there's padding there (even though you assume, and "everyone knows"), rings have skirts for a reason and it's not just to make it look professional or make it easier to hide your tools. Everything about the illusion has been carefully crafted and improved upon for generations (part of why I actually really like the LED skirts) and slowly that's stripped away.

I have no problem with people knowing that all there is to fall on is a little big of padding, some wood planks and steel. I'm happy when people catch a glimpse of the ring going up or coming down and realize that it's not a trampoline or a mattress. It's just when it happens in the body of the show that I'm not a huge fan. When you see them setting up or tearing down a ring, it's something that a kid will go tell their friends about or my dad will tell his buddies who say how fake it all is. When you expose it during a match, especially one with all those bumps, it becomes "oh yeah, and Gargano took a DDT on the wood floor of the ring as a finish."

At least it was the finish and it was a death bump that Gargano sold and had to be carted out after. They made it matter that as soon as that padding is pulled away if a guy bumps on there he's done. But what happens next time? When it's a false finish or just another big bump?

Case in point: Kevin Owen's apron bomb. You bump in the centre of the ring of a reason, and that move killed people. It was this vicious thing that we hadn't seen in WWE before and Zayn was carted off on a stretcher and missed weeks (months?) of action because of it. They explained that it's the hardest part of the ring and there is absolutely no give and that doing it was a step too far for Owens. Fast forward to Takeover: Chicago II, and I didn't even react to the third apron bump of the night off of a major move four matches in. It's just another big bump in the middle of the match and I didn't even bite on the near fall.

These things chip away at the foundation. If three years from now at Takeover: Brooklyn VI, Angelo Dawkins kicks out of Tucker Knight's powerbomb on the exposed wood as a false finish, why would I believe for a second that Braun Strowman could put Samoa Joe down with a running powerslam the next night in the main event of SummerSlam on the fully padded ring?

These spots make for great moments and holy shit chants, but they chip away and it adds up as time goes by and these spots are revisited. KO can't keep Daniel Bryan out for three weeks with an apron bomb in 2018, but in 2014 Zayn didn't wrestle again for two months.

It's a shame to see the apron bomb watered down so much. That should be the go to for if you want to rid someone from your life for a while. Not just a high point of an episode.

I thought Gargano vs Ciampa was marginally better than their NOLA fight. It was a bit overkill towards the end, especially with the handcuffs, but I suppose that added to the shock twist of fate that Gargano received by his defeated enemy rising from the dead one last time.

Again, it was very violent, but I feel this match got across their hatred for each other than the NOLA match.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    At least it was the finish and it was a death bump that Gargano sold and had to be carted out after. They made it matter that as soon as that padding is pulled away if a guy bumps on there he's done. But what happens next time? When it's a false finish or just another big bump?

Case in point: Kevin Owen's apron bomb. You bump in the centre of the ring of a reason, and that move killed people. It was this vicious thing that we hadn't seen in WWE before and Zayn was carted off on a stretcher and missed weeks (months?) of action because of it. They explained that it's the hardest part of the ring and there is absolutely no give and that doing it was a step too far for Owens. Fast forward to Takeover: Chicago II, and I didn't even react to the third apron bump of the night off of a major move four matches in. It's just another big bump in the middle of the match and I didn't even bite on the near fall.

These things chip away at the foundation. If three years from now at Takeover: Brooklyn VI, Angelo Dawkins kicks out of Tucker Knight's powerbomb on the exposed wood as a false finish, why would I believe for a second that Braun Strowman could put Samoa Joe down with a running powerslam the next night in the main event of SummerSlam on the fully padded ring?

These spots make for great moments and holy shit chants, but they chip away and it adds up as time goes by and these spots are revisited. KO can't keep Daniel Bryan out for three weeks with an apron bomb in 2018, but in 2014 Zayn didn't wrestle again for two months.

Haven't seen anyone use this in a while, but I'm going to break it out - QFT.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm going to go out on a limb, but I think they might have written Gargano off for a while with that spot too. I hope he's not just going to come out on the next show, or the week after, and face Kona Reeves or some bullshit.

The way I see it going is that Ciampa wins the title from Black at the next Takeover, they rematch at the Series weekend with Ciampa winning again, and then Gargano attacks him to set up a title match for the Rumble weekend.

Jesus, i do not think we need to see Ciampa/Gargano 4 times.. as much as i like the feud. Keep it simple and blow it off at Summerslam weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Jesus, i do not think we need to see Ciampa/Gargano 4 times.. as much as i like the feud. Keep it simple and blow it off at Summerslam weekend.
    I'm with you. They're 1-1, do the straight rubber match. And I don't think that it needs to be for the title. It's always great to have two drawing matches on a card.

I really want to see Ciampa and Gargano blown off in Hell in a Cell at Takeover SummerSlam weekend. I'd like it to be the old, smaller HIAC cage because NXT is the "smaller" brand (and because they aren't exactly hulking guys and I think that the new giant cage will make them look tiny inside) and I'd like it to be the only HIAC match NXT has for a very, very, very long time.

Then both men move on to bigger and better things. One to the main roster -- maybe Ciampa because they could use some fresh heel blood on SmackDown -- and one to the NXT Title.

The Brain
    Well, I've heard the feud compared to the HHH/HBK feud of the 2000s, and that featured 5 PPV singles matches, and 4 more on TV, so... yeah, hoping they don't go all the way down that road.

I like the ring canvas getting stripped on very rare occasion, but I do agree then you've gotta treat it as a really big deal, not just another random set piece for a visual pop and not much meaning.

Just to point out, I was only suggesting one more Gargano vs Ciampa match in that story up there - go Ciampa vs Black I at Summerslam, then Ciampa vs Black II at Survivor Series, then Ciampa vs Gargano III (which is technicall IV including the CWC, but whatever) at the Rumble, while writing Gargano out until Ciampa has the title.

The Brain
    I do think a Black/Ciampa/Gargano triple threat could work really well at some point. Would be a nice mix of a lot of things and I feel like the chemistry would be on point.

I would also be in favour of a triple threat between these guys. The Gargano Ciampa storyline has been done well, but it's at the point where they should move past their differences and tie it in with NXT gold again. I definitely hole this is the road NXT creative goes down.

I think I've changed my tune regarding my post above:

Is it just me, or is anyone else ready to move on from the Gargano Ciampa stuff? Gargano's character performance last night said to me he is still suffering emotionally from what happened in Chicago. I get it and all, but it's time to move on for me.

I want a third match badly, and I’m pretty sure it’ll happen SummerFest weekend. I think the storytelling is great and totally disagree with whoever said the two are exactly where they were when they started this feud. We need the rubber match.

There's gonna be a third match. Even if you don't want it, its going to happen and frankly would be weird if it didn't cause they're not moving them up anytime soon.

Just wanted to call out how amazing the Moustache Mountain v Undisputed Era tag team match was.

SPOILER AHEAD - if you haven't seen the match DON'T READ THIS just watch the match.

Amazing performances from all around but especially Trent Severn who just sold and sold and sold and sold. The story and psycholody that they bought to the match was so good and perfectly executed. Watching the pain on Tyler Bate's face while he saw these two hyenas just tear up his partners need was incredible and pulling out the towel was an inspired choice. Bate has had some really good matches in the WWE even one or two great ones but this was the first time I'd say he told a really great story.

I have to admit I was not a huge fan of the Undisputed Era when they first showed up but over the last few months and particularly since Roddy Strong joined them, they seem to just be one upping themselves over and over again. Strong in particular has gone from someone I have next to no interest in to someone I am coming around on as he has been able to show a viscous, competitive streak.

@Sir_Samuel

That tag match was tremendous. Nonstop action and I like how Seven kept selling the leg.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

I was also not a huge fan of Undisputed Era, moreso Adam Cole. But Cole's match with Aleister Black saw me respect Cole a bit more for the punishment he would take in the name of the performance. Then he had a match with Pete Dunne on TV which was top notch.

Now since Mania weekend, and most specifically Strong's betrayal of his tag partner in Dunne, Undisputed Era have been on fire. Amazing singles/tag/6 man matches almost every single week. The TV has been delivering match of the year contenders all the time, it's hard to keep up. Absolutely loving this Pete Dunne & Friends vs UE stuff. Now that Moustache Mountain have their own beefs with UE, there is a shared universe element on the go just now that is a joy to watch.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    The Undisputed Era has grown massively on me ever since Roderick Strong joined them. I had just about zero interest in Strong until that moment, when he's really turned it around. The group is one of my favorite parts of NXT.

I just watched this week's episode of NXT (everything after this should be considered a spoiler if you haven't watched yet - you've been warned).

Although it's been already done a couple of times, I'm happy to see Kairi Sane get the title shot against Shayna Baszler. I can't see Kairi losing yet again, so I wonder if this means that Baszler is getting a call-up to Raw or Smackdown soon. It's probably too soon for it but what would be next for her if she wins or loses?

I'm really looking forward to Velveteen Dream's next "experience". That guy is so damn entertaining.

There's actually a lot of stuff happening on NXT that I'm looking forward to. Adam Cole vs. Ricochet for the North American title should be awesome. I'm curious to see how War Raiders are portrayed as they impressed me the little times I saw them in New Japan matches. Even EC3 vs. Kona Reeves is a bit intriguing. Part of me hates that NXT is a one hour show, but on the other hand the anticipation it builds is great. Can't wait to see the lead-up to NXT Brooklyn.

The trouble is that I can't watch Undisputed Era and not think someone's spent too long watching old nWo tapes. Especially when it was ReDragon and Cole. The whole air guitar with the belt thing, I think, doesn't help.

ReDragon are an incredible tag team, though, and Strong and O'Reilly are working really well together too.

Kona Reeves dresses exactly like Sonny from Miami Vice. Is EC3 slowly turning face or just being a tweener? Heat with Dream and now Kona.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    The trouble is that I can't watch Undisputed Era and not think someone's spent too long watching old nWo tapes. Especially when it was ReDragon and Cole. The whole air guitar with the belt thing, I think, doesn't help.
    I never really noticed it until now. Even the guitar in their theme song has some shades of nWo's theme as well, at least in my ears. Now I'll never be able to un-see this. Damn you, Oli. I don't think it's a bad thing, though. I'm sure these guys have been heavily influenced by that white-hot late-90s wrestling period, so it makes sense to try to take things and incorporate it in their own careers. I'm just happy they kick ass when it comes to having matches.

Speaking of them having a match, Dave Meltzer gave the NXT Tag Team Championship match between The Undisputed Era vs. Moustache Mountain from last week's NXT a five-star rating. Extremely well-deserved, in my opinion.

I think that's a first in the WWE in a few ways - the first tag match with five stars, and I think the first non-PPV / non-Takeover match with five stars. Crazy. Give those guys a raise. Or at the very least keep them in NXT forever.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Is EC3 slowly turning face or just being a tweener? Heat with Dream and now Kona.
    That's what I was thinking. I think they're pushing him towards the face side of things, especially since people just loathe Kona Reeves. But his character is so perfect for being a heel these days so I don't know if that would work while keeping the whole "1%" thing going on.

That's awesome about the tag match getting a five star rating. I'm going to watch that now, actually, haven't sat down with it yet. I'm surprised that Bate and Severn, as far as I understand, don't have 'proper' NXT contracts yet. I also assume they'll get a chance to better themselves in Brooklyn, all four of them, because I can see a rematch coming.

Sorry about the nWo thing, Degen!

A rubber match at Brooklyn would be a great idea (I've not read any spoilers so unsure of Brooklyn card).

They don't need any help with the crowd atmosphere at Takeovers, but based on the interactions between the 4 on both nights of the NXT UK show, as well as the tag match at Full Sail last week, that match is sure to life the roof off the place, and would be an unbelievable farewell to Brooklyn on Summerslam weekend.

I wish the Revival were in NXT to throw in the mix with Undisputed Era and Mustache Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I wish the Revival were in NXT
    Not a week goes past where I don't wish this. And American Alpha.

Just caught this week's episode of NXT. That certainly changed the landscape for Takeover: Brooklyn. I'm glad I avoided the spoilers on the last batch of tapings. Looking forward to Summerslam weekend, for sure.

The tag team division in NXT went through a bit of a revamp after so many callups, but it's shaping up to be pretty good now. It's something to look forward to in the next few months.

This might sound funny, but - is Brooklyn and the lead up to it when NXT gets it's feet back under it? I'm just thinking, the last couple of years Brooklyn has been absolutely superb in terms of build and execution, but the shows and Takeover immediately after Mania have always been a bit underwhelming - is it just because they lose people after Mania and they then need a bit of time to sort themselves out?

Either way, I'm really excited for Brooklyn. I hope Baszler keeps winning, because I am loving her right now.

I'm sure she will win. Her heel character is too good to lose at the moment. I can't wait for Takeover Brooklyn myself!

This might sound funny, but - is Brooklyn and the lead up to it when NXT gets it's feet back under it? I'm just thinking, the last couple of years Brooklyn has been absolutely superb in terms of build and execution, but the shows and Takeover immediately after Mania have always been a bit underwhelming - is it just because they lose people after Mania and they then need a bit of time to sort themselves out?
    That's a good point. Between post-Mania callups and the yearly drafts happening just around that time too, there's bound to be a lull there. The good thing is that they always seem to have a good batch of people ready to take those vacant spots.

I hope Baszler keeps winning, because I am loving her right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    I'm sure she will win. Her heel character is too good to lose at the moment. I can't wait for Takeover Brooklyn myself!
    I'm in total agreement here. I saw her randomly at a Stardom show at the beginning of 2017 and immediately dug her style. I would have never guessed that she would be doing so great under the WWE machine in such a short period of time. I wouldn't mind her winning, but I think that she's should be put on the main roster sooner rather than later. She's going to be 38 in a couple of weeks, which is on the high end for female wrestlers, and NXT already has a decent female roster which I'm sure is going to get a lot deeper after the next Mae Young Classic. I'd call up a few more women along with Baszler, like Lacey Evans (who I really believe can be a huge star on the main roster) and Nikki Cross (although I'm unsure if she's already called up since she was prominently shown on Raw during the Evolution announcement).

I would prefer that Kairi Sane win for that reason. But also it's because I have a slight crush on her so I might be biased. Please don't tell my wife.

Nikki Cross actually has been at some Smackdown live shows recently.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Nikki Cross actually has been at some Smackdown live shows recently.
    Really? That's interesting. I know that doesn't mean much, but at least she is doing live shows for the show that Sanity are on. Would be interesting to see what comes of that.

She was on the stage on Raw for the Evolution announcement too. Silent callup I guess.

Will this be an Elias Samson type deal where she just keeps popping up in places???

Reading that Aleister Black has just had surgery, possibly something testicular, after getting crotched on the turnbuckle by Ciampa on a house show.

Possibility that he doesn't make Takeover as a result, which would be shitty.

Yeah, I just saw that. First of all OUCH! Second of all, that sucks for him because that would have been a big time match for him. However, maybe this means that Ciampa and Gargano can just have a single for the belt (I'm never getting my Hell in a Cell, am I?) and when Black is back up and running he can either get the call-up or come back for a nice feud.

Some reports are saying that they expect he'll be good in two weeks, but I can't think of too many surgeries with that short a recovery time.

I suppose if it's balls related it might just be a liquid drain from swelling or something? Torsion is probably the worst case, my mate had that and basically had four weeks of not moving to heal it up.

Hmmm. That's worrying news. If this leads to just a singles match between Gargano and Ciampa at Takeover (I haven't read spoilers), then I'll be a bit gutted about that. I feel like their story has went on too long, I'm done with Garagano's "woe me" stuff right now, and adding Black into the mix would have been interesting for match dynamic purposes.

Hopefully he pulls through soon.

I actually quite like Gargano's descent into madness.

Just read a report that NXT officials are considering replacing Black in the title match with Matt Riddle, and potentially even having him win the title in his first match on the brand. That's a pretty interesting approach, if true.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Matt Riddle is awesome

We need more poolside summits.