Thread: Formula 1

Formula 1

How's everyone enjoying the Formula 1 season so far?

From my perspective as someone who has been less into it for some time it seems like it might be getting back towards entertaining.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

It certainly started well. Red Bulls looked closer. Ferraris looked closer. Then Lewis got a huge bit of jam which seemed to up his confidence and it looked like business as usual at the weekend for the Mercs. I think there will be a lot more to play for this year for sure.

Great until Hamilton ruined it by being better than everyone. I wish Raikkers would go away so Ferrari could be competitive too. But no, it has been a good start to the season and much better than the last couple of years.

Anyone think the Hamilton and Alonso comments were an attempt to try and get rid of the Monaco Grand Prix?

From what i saw and in previous years, I can see why getting rid of Monaco.. no one can pass lol. But then again, that seems to be normal in F1 and I wonder if something can be done to the cars.

Yeah Monaco is always shit. There are little things that get done that seem to improve it but some tracks make it just next to impossible to do. I think overall it's been better for overtaking this year. It's just never gonna happen in Monaco. It would still feel wrong for it not to be part of the season but yeah, I spent the whole race falling asleep.

Must be possible though, there were some cracking races back in the 80s at Monaco.

I would imagine they would have to put the cars more into the driver's hands and less on the technical side of things. Only a casual F1 fan but I know in all forms of racing, is if you design cars to be able to handle the speed and do laps efficiently, you lose some of the driver error that can happen. in Nascar, they blame clean air for lack of passing.. yet 20 years ago, the sport wasn't nearly reliant on aero..

Point is, put the cars moreso in the driver's hands.. even if one driver is dominant, they will have earned it moreso than just having the best setup car.

Having said that, I always hear how Monaco is more of a driver's track.

The hot air is the big issue with overtaking in general in F1. A car can catch another one pretty easily but when he gets within a second it gets a lot harder to get by. Even if you have room, a faster car, better tires and DRS it's still no guarantee. Why it is less prevalent on some tracks I have no idea, but that would be what they really need to even out in my mind. A pass shouldn't really be easy but if a significantly slower car is able to keep ahead for a huge amount of time relatively easily, then that is something that needs to be fixed IMO.

I'm not a technical bod by any stretch of the imagination but I was under the impression the air thing was because most of the cooling was done by air passing through vents in the car. There's not really a lot else going on to keep the temperature down, so consequently when the air coming through is hotter, it doesn't cool stuff down, and your performance goes to shit.

The case with Monaco and similar tracks though was different I thought, though someone can probably bring something in here to prove me wrong. But I was under the impression that it largely came down to a difference between straight line and cornering speed, and that with Monaco being a bit of a mixture of a course, you can be faster around the whole thing without necessarily having the oomph to get past when you need it. Like, you can catch someone up all the way to a corner and then not have the legs to actually take them through a bend.

I do think LK's on to something though - and let's be frank about it, F1 was a lot more entertaining when driver error was much more of a thing. Johnny Herbert winning a GP out of nowhere because the front runners are all out, that kinda jazz. Though as I think back, I might be exaggerating how much of a difference it made. I am nostalgic for that era of F1 and it does strange things to your memory.

Oh no expert either, pretty much just watch the races and the odd quali. Definitely less on the driver these days and more on the car. I guess with Monaco there aren't really any corners that are big enough to get past on the straights just aren't very long.

Monaco is an interesting track because all I've read is that its a driver's track, in that, its one of the most difficult on the circuit and while there's not alot of passing... if any, you do have to have the patience and skill to master the track..whereas as other tracks, the high end cars can overcome another's driver skill.

The whole air thing in Formula 1 is not due to the air being hot from the car in front. It's to do with the aerodynamics. These cars are so reliant on downforce that they need a nice clean stream of air to drive in to. But they put so many stupid bells and whistles on the wings and the sidepods that the air coming off the car is just swooshing about all over the place. So when a fast car catches a very slightly slower car, the faster car behind becomes just as slow because they run out of clean air to drive in to. The wings stop working and the car can't get up to as high a speed as it should be able to.

Take the wings off 'em, I say.

Ah, so hot air is something of a misnomer. Dirty air is probably more accurate, by the sounds of it.

My understanding was downforce from the air was what kept it on the road for the most part, so quite clear how that would hit your speed.

Exactly. Dirty air is what it's called. If you could take a Formula 1 car past 100mph, drive up the side of the Monaco tunnel and upside down onto the ceiling, there'd be enough downforce to stop it falling off. It also helps massively through the corners, allowing you to take them much faster than you'd otherwise be able to. Rip 50% of that downforce away and your grip disappears.

I have a feeling that this is what caused the Red Bulls to crash in Baku. Ricciardo tries the dummy and swerves to the inside of the track and brakes for the corner. As soon as Verstappen comes back across the track to block Ricciardo, Ricciardo loses a fair bit of downforce and locks his brakes up.

Yeah, no grip and you're obviously going to have to slow down - and of course the knock on effects on things like tyres, brakes etc not being at the right level.

I used to play a game called Grand Prix Manager, all this chat is bringing back my car design stages in preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepster View Post
    If you could take a Formula 1 car past 100mph, drive up the side of the Monaco tunnel and upside down onto the ceiling, there'd be enough downforce to stop it falling off.
    I need to put 20 on Max actually doing that next year

Three different drivers, and three different teams, have won since the last post in this thread. I'm guessing the big fans are loving the season so far.

In fact Verstappen is the only man on the podium in the last three races, and from the high of winning in France Austria was called one of Mercedes 'worst races'.

Felt sure some of Lewis's antic lately would have got some airplay in this thread!

A really fun season so far continues. I mean Hungary was a really boring race (until we got kamikaze Bottas at the end) but it's shaping up for a great run-in.

So news today is Ricciardo is signing for Renault for next season.