LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar

The Revival's Top Guys Thread

The Revival showed up at an NXT house show yesterday when the Undisputed Era called themselves the top guys in NXT. Was a good reminder of what they can do but also a bit of a sad reminder of just how good they were as the big sharks in the small pond of NXT.

Here is a link to a news story with a few Twitter videos on it of their entrance, the match and a promo they cut after (I can't work out how to embed the Twitter videos here): http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/rev.../#.Wv-_EYiFM2w

I was hoping The Bar leaving Raw would allow them a bit more space to breathe and develop into the real benchmark for tag teams on Raw but so far it doesn't look quite like they have been handled that way. My mind can't help but wonder if they have been branded with the tag of being 'unreliable' by certain powers that be.

My fear is that the guys who get and value the act are all connected with NXT. Head up to the main roster and you're around the Vince McMahon's and the Kevin Dunn's who don't really have much time for what they're 'reviving' in the first place.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

They are both small guys too which I'm sure doesn't help their cases in Vince's eyes. AOP is being groomed too on RAW so Revival pretty much have no chance.

The injury timing last year was really bad, the came up with a lot of buzz and actually got a bit of a rub over The New Day but then got injured twice.

I can't help but feel they may have been written off unfortunately.

The Brain
    Gutted that apparently they are a total afterthought on the main roster. A seriously damning indictment of the WWE that they don't know what to do with this team after they were basically the hottest thing WWE had going in 2016.

If the stories about Vince are anything to go by then they fill 3 slots he gives zero shits about:
    1) Tag Teamers
    2) Old school sourthern Tag Teamers
    3) Old school southern Tag Teamers under 6 feet.

The IWC would call it a failure but I would 100 percent take them going back to NXT permanently, would make their 'top guys' act more of a heelish thing considering it was proved to be wrong but they keep claiming it.

The Brain
    Oh absolutely, send them back down, for the love of god. It's not even that I'm dying to see them matched up with anyone down there, but just to be in a place where they could have their identity again would be just great, thanks.

I don't understand how WWE could fumble this one, I really don't. All the talented tag teams on the roster right now that these two could obviously work with - Usos, New Day, Bar, Zigglintyre - and they're rotting on the main shows. It's baffling. I appreciate the injury timing certainly played it's part, but since returning they've been treated like arse and it makes no sense.

The Brain
    I had to look it up to even see what they were doing before this NXT house show tour. Apparently wrestling throwaway matches on Main Event. Criminal.

In some ways, I prefer them not in any real feud right now to jobbing to Hardy/Wyatt lets say cause I have no interest in seeing that match. Having said that, I do wish they found something for them to do.

The Brain
    Man, I just realized they haven't even had one match on a PPV or Network special yet. Not one. And with the specials going co-branded, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Well I doubt they'll be booked for MITB unless they're on a pre show. Seems like Ziggler/ Drew Mac will be getting the next tag title shot on Raw.. Even with network specials being longer (read all PPVS will be at least 4 hours scheduled) They don't even have a relevant feud... maybe They could reunite American Alpha and have them rehab Revival.

The Brain
    Would they really go back to the tag team with Jordan? Felt like they were pretty committed to getting him in as a solo act, but I wouldn't mind if he had a temporary reunion with Gable. There's still value there, especially going back to the Revival feud that put them both on the map.

I was half expecting Jordan to run out as McIntyre and Dolph beat on Gable on Monday, and pretend the singles run never happened.

I'd take them going back to a program with American Alpha with an on the fence Jordan ultimately turning on Gable, tossing him to the wolves against their biggest ever rivals. Would do wonders for all parties.

I really do think this Gable angle is leading to reuniting Alpha with Jordan. It's the only logical endpoint right now. They can run Gable vs McIntyre this week, have it end the same as the Ziggler match last week, then have Jordan make the big return.

Forgetting the Jordan singles run completely would be my preferred position, too.

As for The Revival - maybe they do need to head back to NXT. I'd be quite into them vs Oney and Twoey.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'd be quite into them vs Oney and Twoey.
    Love this. And yeah, I'd be into that match too.

Probably a damning indictment of my fantasy life, but the other day I actually had a dream that Bobby Roode turned heel and started a Four Horsemen-like throwback stable with these guys. Although it wasn't really like the Horsemen exactly I guess, because they didn't have a fourth member. I suppose you could rectify that pretty easily though, if there was a clear candidate.

The Brain
    A Roode/Revival alliance has been a waking dream of mine since NXT. It's such a great fit, and it'd probably revitalize both parties a whole lot right about now.

I dreamed that a palate swapped Hulk Hogan entered the Royal Rumble to fight himself, so there's that.

Just stuck their name in and searched for news about these guys, and there's nothing. Their tag run in NXT was basically the thing I've liked most since Bryan hung it up (I guess we need to say the first time after that now, but I digress) and I just plain don't get how they've been allowed to become this.

So the top guys beat Lashley and Reigns. Sure it was largely because of Lashley and Reigns infighting however they showed their classic team work and in ring intelligence. I don't know how they fit in a scene that is headlined by the craziness of Wyatt & Hardy but if AOP and Ziggler/McIntyre start to come to the fore in tag team action then they could really start to get things cooking again.

They've been making quite a lot of it on twitter, it's been quite entertaining.

I'm all for just putting the belts on them, have them beat all-comers, make them an act that can main event as a tag team like the Road Warriors or Steiners. Yes I know I'm dreaming now, but let me dream.

i'm glad it gets them something to do, i just wish Raw had a really good face team they could face off with and have real feud. Dean and Seth would have been perfect before the injury.... Hardy/Bray are just such a mediorce team and the B team.. ugh.

The Brain
    Yeah, it seems like putting the belts on the Revival would make a lot of sense. We know they can do a lot with a spotlight, so why not let them?

Just watch them have a classic against The B Team and Breezedango like they did Enzo & Cass.

Ive always thought the top tag teams should be able to beat a team of two singles stars and it seems at least at the moment they are going down that road with these guys.

Maybe that kind of thing could become a regular thing where two singles guys in a feud are put in a match with The Revival and just get chewed up. It could have worked in the Rollins and Miz feud and could even potentially work with the Owens and Strowman feud. Hell they could become to Kurt angle what The Undertaker was to Teddy Long.

The Brain
    I so, so agree that a tag team should beat a pair of singles guys thrown together 99 times out of 100. I'm not gonna hold my breath for that to be the rule, as Revival really only seems to be winning because their opponents aren't getting along. I do kind of like the idea of the Revival being on call to chew people up who deserve it!