Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are you listening to right now?

I thought we should set up this thread just for general discussion of what is tickling our fancy right now.

I just discovered a band called Greeta Van Fleet who are one of the most old school sounding rock bands I've heard in a while.

Their whole album is along these lines, maintains a pretty high quality throughout and only goes for about 40 minutes all up so isn't that long if you want to give it a listen.

But what are you guys listening to right now?

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Right this second? Listening to this gem, one of my favorites from this band:

I'm lame about taking other people's music suggestions, but if I can find the time I'll give that album a listen!

That was exactly the problem with this thread before. Just people posting what they liked an nobody giving a shit or even taking 5 secs to listen. Pretty pointless thread really.

The Brain
    Feels like a harsh assessment. I enjoy seeing what others are listening to, even if I don't always have the time/will to check out everything that's posted.

This thread had pages and pages on the last board with pretty much zero discussion. Just ignored link/embed after ignored link/embed and so on...

The Brain
    I didn't ignore them... I'm not really good at discussing music the way I am about movies or wrestling, but I still found it interesting. Maybe it's just me though.

Mate, I'm not having a go at you personally, I just meant that's all the thread was. I did exactly the same. Posted my shit in here, didn't pay attention to anything already there and that was that.

Part of it was because the majority of the forum doesn't have the same taste in music as me so there really would be little point.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Right this second? Listening to this gem, one of my favorites from this band:

I'm lame about taking other people's music suggestions, but if I can find the time I'll give that album a listen!
    All good Mizzie. Love me some Green Day though, haven't heard this one before, quite liked it. I feel like Warning may be an album worth revisiting, it doesn't get the popular wraps of some of their earlier stuff or American Idiot but seems to have a lot of solid songs on it.

As to Your thoughts Dude, well that was one of the reasons I originally created the Review This Somg thread but I'd hardly call lines like 'more indy crap, pass' real in depth commenting. Because it looks like there isn't much interest in the review thread I started this one. I actually think it is a fun way to discover new music but you can pass if you don't like it.

Anyway let's put up some songs or if no one wants to get stuck in the thread can die. That's the way it works.

Bottom line is if you want the music part of the forum to kick off then be the change you want to see.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-21-2018 at 11:53 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

Sorry for being an asshole, I've had a really bad couple of days recently and I've got no way to vent.

I would explain but don't really feel like it at the moment.

The Brain
    Hope things are on the upswing, Dude. I certainly didn't take any offense!

American Idiot obviously has it's strengths, but I find a lot of the Green Day I like most comes from before that album. Maybe because it was less political and more universal? I'm not sure but yeah, Warning is a good album in my book.

Speaking of American Idiot, I was just listening to this, not the original but the track from their Broadway show which I actually like better in this case:

It is a very Broadway take on a pop punk song. I can just see a skinny dancer with dyed spiked hair spinning around while pretending to head bang all too perfectly.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Haha, I have no idea if the actual show is good. I'm a fan of Green Day and of musical theater, but I have a feeling they don't mix perfectly. There are a couple songs from that show I prefer to the original though. The only other one that comes to mind is Letterbomb.

Bowling for Soup just came up on my Spotify playlist. I admit they're probably the closest thing to a "guilty pleasure" I have, though I don't really believe in feeling guilty about my pleasures (as a wrestling fan you kind of have to get over that eventually). They're silly and often stupid and inconsequential, but there's something fun and sometimes surprisingly authentic about their stuff. This is what came on just now, not my all time favorite of theirs but pretty fun nonetheless.

I actually quite like Bowling for Soup, they're a bit less serious but it works.

Currently listening to "Alive" by Pearl Jam... just put the album Ten on a moment ago.

The Brain
    Nice! I should listen to more Pearl Jam. I've liked their hits a lot but I haven't done a deep dive on them.

I've had this in my head a LOT lately. I find it really poignant, even moreso than some of them biggest hits. Really worth a listen, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I actually quite like Bowling for Soup, they're a bit less serious but it works.

Currently listening to "Alive" by Pearl Jam... just put the album Ten on a moment ago.
    Iíve really been digging Eddie Vedderís solo stuff recently. Especially the Into The Wild soundtrack that he did.

Kids See Ghosts

Particularly "Reborn"

Not my favorite Slipknot album but this track has grown on me. Speaking Slipknot, my fav albums are Iowa, Slipknot, all hope is Gone, Subliminal verses and the grey Chapter in that order.

The Brain
    I haven't been that into Kanye in the past but I'll have to at least give that track a listen.

Love Slipknot in general, I haven't listened to them for a while but I absolutely should get back into them!

My Dad used to listen to this track a lot when I was young, and I've been getting more into Cat Stevens lately so I'll throw it out here as I think it's pretty damn good:

I've noticed I've been listening to a lot of Movie Music recently. Like Transformers, MCU, etc.

The Brain
    I never think of the Transformers films having much of a soundtrack, aside from the sound of metal madly crashing together.

Listening to one of my old all time faves right this second. It was actually never one of my top Blink songs until I saw the music video. They're just so young, they're on this unbelievable journey and they clearly think they're going to live forever, and looking back 30 years on it's oddly poignant. Anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I never think of the Transformers films having much of a soundtrack, aside from the sound of metal madly crashing together.

Listening to one of my old all time faves right this second. It was actually never one of my top Blink songs until I saw the music video. They're just so young, they're on this unbelievable journey and they clearly think they're going to live forever, and looking back 30 years on it's oddly poignant. Anyway:

Heh. Well they do actually. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac

The Brain
    That was actually better than I expected. Not something I'd probably listen too regularly, but gives you a nice epic feel.

Just listened to this yesterday and was reminded that it's one of my all time favorite songs:

If you're into songs with a narrative and have ten minutes to listen to it, then here's The Mariner's Revenge Song by the Decemberists. Included here with the comic style animation that someone has decided to do to help it all along. But it's dark enough anyway.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Holy crap Mizzie I FREAKIN' LOVE Make You Feel Better. Has always been one of my favourite songs on Stadium Arcadium which is my fav RHCP album. Such a great positive burst of energy.

PT, I'm really keen to listen to that song a little more a second time with the lyrics out. First time through I was on the board and drifted in and out, the bits I can recall sounded awesome. I randomly stumbled upon a Decemberists song, How I Dreamt I Was An Architect through How I Met Your Mother and really liked that song and this reminded me of a much more complex version of that musically.

I have recently been listening to Frank Turner's new album Be More Kind. The album is his return to writing political songs after seemingly shelving them a few albums ago. I love the fire he brings in songs like 1933 and Make America Great Again but he also has some more delicate moments in Don't Worry and Be More Kind. Great album.

@Sir_Samuel

Ah yes, I know that song. Remember being surprised when it was on the show, even though they did have a bit of a line in fairly obscure indy stuff in the soundtrack. It's off the Castaways and Cutouts album, which I think was their debut. 'Mariner's Revenge' comes off Picaresque, which was a couple of years later. If you want a sense of their brilliant wordplay in their lyrics, but don't have ten minutes to spare then maybe try this out instead;

The Brain
    Some really good suggestions there, I'll have to make time to check them out. Glad there's another RHCP fan running around here too, Sam.

Listening to Jonathan Coulton right now, who has a lot of pretty clever stuff. This is one of my favorites:

Just had a listen to that song, I'd say 3/5, it was good, I liked the chord progression and the interludes with backing vocals before the chorus. Can't say I was blown away but I'm glad I listened.

Here is one that randomly popped up on my Spotify playlist, really loved this song a few years ago. There is also a killer acoustic version going around too.

@Sir_Samuel

Spooky, Sam. I like to be haunted by my music. I can dig that one.

I just stumbled upon this song tonight. Kind of diggin' the vibe.

I really like Theory of a Deadman's cover of Wicked Games.

The Brain
    Really digging these, guys. Love the music video for the last one especially, Dude.

I've been adding Brand New back to my playlist, and was reminded of one of my favorite songs:

The Brain
    Nice collection of songs! I should really dive into all three of those bands a bit more, they're all up my alley but I haven't looked very deep into their albums.

This one just popped into my head, not their best off the album but it's got something good going for it.

Can't really stand Britpop (daddy issues don't ask) but I love early Blink 182. Especially the M&ms tune because I have the album it's from.

Seeing as Mizfan enjoyed CasisDead I'll post some more English rap.

Heard this tonight on an awesome Hulu original series, The Path.

The Brain
    Less into Skinnyman, I'm not a huge rap guy so the first one might have been a bit of an exception for me. Still, I can recognize that it's good stuff for those who like the style more.

Digging Bella Figura. How is The Path, Shane? That's the one with Aaron Paul, right? It's looked interesting but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Got this running on my spotify right now, always liked it quite a lot.

Storytelling and respect for legacy. Going country tonight.

The Brain
    I'm not a big country guy usually but that was quite good, a bit chilling.

Used to listen to this soundtrack on repeat in college. Still love to listen to it now and again, I find it poignant in a subtle way.

Just listened to Mr. Bungle for the first time in a while.

I listened to the Greta van Fleet EP, From the Fires, on the plane and enjoyed it a lot.