Thread: Scott Steiner

Scott Steiner

Just wondering, how many people have actually taken another look at Impact based on bringing in Scott Steiner.

I've got the feeling lately that more people are questioning the significance of his WWE run in the narrative of decline, and let's not forget he was an amazing talent at one point. Super over in WCW at the end to the point where it was a real hyped event when he first arrived after the war.

Anyway, SPOILERS...

He and Drake lost the tag titles recently.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I've actually come to love Scott Steiner in a lot of ways. He's an athletic marvel in the early 90s and in some ways he's even better in the late 90s, when he developed a huge personality and started exuding a dangerous aura that felt more authentic and visceral than a lot of stuff at the time, especially as one of the few bright lights remaining in a floundering WCW. I think if they had pushed him in a healthier environment he would have been an even bigger star.

His early 00s WWE run was riddled with problems, some of them perhaps his own fault, many of them definitely not, and I do think it sucks for a long time he was defined by the fact that the run bombed. I haven't seen that much of his TNA work to be honest but it's clear he still had something to offer, and I'm not just talking about the priceless gem that is Steiner Math.

On a personal level he seems like he's been an enormous and at times even dangerous headache to deal with, so maybe that would have stopped him from succeeding more than he did regardless, but still I look back on his peak days with a lot of fondness. I checked him out at LU vs. Impact over Wrestlemania weekend but he didn't seem like he was in shape to do much, even though I know he did bust out a Frankensteiner later on Impact (the top rope one, not the cooler jumping one). His return to the company didn't really stir anything in me but I am glad people are hopefully reevaluating his legacy, because for the most part he had a great career.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Scott Steiner stands in the ring looking down at Kanyon and cuts the greatest promo ever in his career.

"You come out here acting like it's a big deal you're with Page's wife. Tell me who hasn't been with that bitch?!"

The Brain
    Can we truly say that's a better promo than the pinnacle of spoken word that is Steiner Math?

The segment with Petey Williams floored me, absolutely hilarious how his gibberish once forced Bully Ray to literally shout "ENGLISH! at him. I was impressed to see him pull out a Frankensteiner at the PPV but after seeing his best of compilations on YouTube, I lost my nostalgic luster of him when I realized he was still using the same old lines from his glory days. I get I haven't seen enough to be judgemental about him however that's probably wise of Impact! to not expose him in singles matches.

I mean, he's probably at the stage in his career where he's hitting a 'Best of' period, where he can come out and do the hits then slink off.

Has he started hitting Steiner Screwdrivers on people yet?

Like Mizfan, I think he was a marvel throughout the 90s, and some of the matches he had, both in tags and singles, are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCrippler View Post
    I lost my nostalgic luster of him when I realized he was still using the same old lines from his glory days.
    Are we talking about The Rock?

Seriously though Steiner was awesome in his WCW days. Steiner Brothers will always be one of the greatest tag teams of all time. Though even Rick admitted a few times that Scott was a royal douchebag in the locker room. Absolute bully. His Big Poppa Pump days should be marvelled at for eternity though.

@ Kleck: Well said man, and as for Scott Steiner I just think that him AND the Rock use their multiple catchphrases as a crutch instead of recreating themselves. Yeah Scott is a genetic freak haha but I'm sure Brian Cage would take him down a peg.

The Brain
    I'm pretty sure both the Steiners were horrible garbage people backstage, but it's wrestling so sometimes there's not much you can do about that.

I am very much down for Cage/Steiner interactions of any kind.