Thread: Sami Callihan

Sami Callihan

Been a lot of debate about Sami Callihan and his work lately.

I'm not his biggest fan truth be told. I think he's better at a personality than what I've seen of his matches. I'm also not the biggest Eddie Edwards fan either. So this feud is a bit of a weird one for me. That said, the videos they are producing will sell it to someone who catches it for the first time. There's definitely an uptick in the way they're presenting stuff at Impact since the changeover.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Callihan has his moments, but overall I've got to agree I'm not a fan. He likes to make a big production in his matches, lots of face pulling and faux "vicious" attacks, but I just never buy it. Maybe he just seems like he's trying too hard or something? I have trouble putting my finger on it. He's not a channel changer as a rule but I don't ever seek him out, though he can be hard to avoid these days. I like him a bit more in Lucha Underground, having better gear and a more defined character helps him, but he's far from a favorite.

I watched his match with Edwards at Impact vs. Lucha and it was an extreme eye-roller, one of my least favorite matches I've seen this year. Trying to use a real life injury to build heat in 2018 feels pretty desperate, especially because it seems the injury only occurred because Sami (and possibly Edwards) is an idiot, doing stuff that doesn't look dangerous but actually is to minimum effect.

Catching up on Impact right now. Oh man, this Callihan Edwards stuffy does not do it for me at all. Josh actually just said 'Eddie Edwards has lost the last of his humanity' while Eddie made a face/noise like he belonged in Jurassic Park.

I usually like Eddie but they're asking him to do stuff that's out of his range. Square peg, round hole.

And even liking him.... Not sure I'd ever think of him as a draw so they might want to rethink that one!

The Brain
    I think it's actually Sami who has christened himself "The Draw" in the wake of the injury angle.

I don't mind Edwards, never have, but asking him to do basically any kind of story driven angle seems outside his range. Fun in the ring but never thought he brought much else.

Ah I may have tuned Sami saying that out...

Generic mid card babyface tag team with Davey was about right in many ways, for me.

The Brain
    Probably the most I ever liked them was anchoring the tag division. Mixing it up with the Hardys, 3D, and especially the Dirty Heels was great stuff for them.

Well look at that, we agreed again.