Thread: LOPR RetroShock

LOPR RetroShock

LOP Radio's newest show, RetroShock, takes a look back at events of the past and hits them with an Aftershock style breakdown and review. Steven Bell and Samuel 'Plan dissect the shows from not only the perspective of in-ring performance and all that, but also endeavor to give you an idea of the landscape in which these events took place and why they are (or aren't) significant to the overall story of pro wrestling, often putting forth an alternative take to the one that is widely accepted in today's climate.

In other words, we talk about old shit and wax philosophical about how awesome or not awesome it is.

Wanna tell us we're wrong? Maybe agree with us? Take a side in the eternal Bret vs Owen debate (Owen is obviously the correct choice)? Perhaps even suggest a show for us to cover down the line?

This is the place.

"Talent isn't sexually transmitted." CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Personally I enjoyed the Retroshock however I felt slightly confused at times if you were speaking in retrospect or real time. That didn't away from the quality or entertainment value as I've had literally my entire life to watch the PPV and I felt that both Sam and Steve's perspectives were equally valid and equally appreciated as I don't hear too much for 1995, it was refreshing to finally hear an alternative take on "the worst year there ever was".

I think it would be cool if you found some golden thread continuation from one show to another; not saying do your own Legacy Series or do things chronologically but what I personally would like to see is something like (for example) Kofi wins Money In the Bank this month so to pay homage to Kofi getting his career defining victory, you go back to Survivor Series 2009 or Fatal Four Way 2010 and reflect back on his life from his previous career heights.

Suggestions for future episodes

WCW Millennium Finale (basically a PPV house show that gets no love)
    WWF Mayhem in Manchester (HBK wins European title from Bulldog)
    ECW Barely Legal '97 (Do it.)
    TNA Unbreakable 2005 (Greatest triple threat match of all time in the main event)
    WWF In Your House: Premier (for continuation on WM11)
    WCW World War 3 (an in depth look at and breakdown of the WW3 battle royal)

I'd really appreciate hearing you guys turn any of these shows into pure gold with or without kayfabe commentary, just feel like it's the lesser shows that have more comedic balue and history behind them.

The Brain
    WCW World War 3 (an in depth look at and breakdown of the WW3 battle royal)
    I pity any poor soul who chooses to do this!

Threads that continue between shows will definitely feature into the mix as time goes on. I doubt we'll do things even somewhat chronologically, though, as we really are trying to distance ourselves from what The Legacy Series does. They've got a fucking phenomenal show and have busted ass to get it where it is. I don't even want partial consideration that we would be trying to steal their thunder or ride their coattails.

I think the overall vibe I'm looking to establish would be more along the lines of that found in Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard. They don't do things chronologically at all. Especially in the first year and change of the podcast, they relied heavily upon fan polls and basically giving people exactly what they wanted to hear. Along the way, though, many continuing stories and threads emerged naturally.

While we're of course not going to be emulating that directly due to the massive differences in our content and theirs (not to mention the fact that we're just not keep on nicking anyone else's gimmick) I think that a more gradual sort of settling into how we each view the narrative of WWF/E's evolution over the years will naturally emerge and that things we talk about in one show will feed very organically into the ongoing crafting of said narrative.

I think we'll definitely be covering some of the shows you mentioned, especially Barely Legal. That's a seminal show for me as a fan, and I'm not entirely sure that Plan has ever even seen it. Were I to place a wager, I'd say that Plan probably hasn't ever watched any ECW PPV in its entirety. That could be VERY fun to play with, especially when my unabashed markdom for the promotion comes to the fore against his firmly established mentality as a "WWF/E Lifer". Trust me, there WILL be some ECW in the mix along the way. I'm thinking specifically after we do a few more shows and really hammer out the kinks, get an idea of exactly what we want the show to be and establish our dynamic in presenting it. It's worth remembering that RetroShock marks only the fourth overall show we've done as a tag team. We're still working on figuring out what we're doing, in some ways.

I'm glad you dug the show, man. If nothing else, I hope it's plain to see that it's absolutely a labor of love on both our parts.

"Talent isn't sexually transmitted." CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I pity any poor soul who chooses to do this!

I put no blame on neither you or Shane for how you called your review of World War 3 and even thought it was funny how horrendous it was and sounded until those final...5,6 minutes. I thought it would be a hell of a challenge for two guys to be able to actually catch everything that goes on during that slog circus. I've heard a couple of reviews from YouTuber's and it's like everyone is watching the same thing but nobody can call the action in the rings for fuck sakes! Make a challenge of it, have a few beers for your sanity's sake and do what literally nobody (not even myself) can do.