Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar

The Seth Rollins Thread

New Forum, new thread! All talk about the Architect, Kingslayer, current Intercontinental Champion and Monday Night Rollins himself Seth freakin' Rollins goes here!

Dude is on a red hot streak right now. His popularity is ready to go nuclear it feels like, and a few more months of this remarkable form might just see that happen. I know sentiments have been split on my all-time favourite in the past, but where is everyone with him right now, especially after his classic with Miz at Backlash and the company openly recognising him as their hottest act on TV?

I love that this is the first thread on the new board. You’re consistent at least.

Rollins and The Miz felt like the main event and really was for Backlash. The writers need to realise this. Both men are at the top of their game. Rollins is a bit too vanilla for me right now but I get the ability and love watching him in the ring.

Wrestles Sting, ends his career.
    Wrestles the dainty Irish guy, puts him on the shelf for months.
    Wrestles Miz, dude is perfectly healthy, not even a hang nail.

There is no justice in this world.

The justice is that Miz is a damn fine wrestler and the other two aren't.

Rollins might just be the MVP of all of WWE right now. I'm not super happy they've gone right back to the US Open Challenge thing, but Rollins has got the hustle and slight vulnerability about him that at least makes the concept interesting.

Rollins has always been a fantastic in ring but as good as his work was with Triple H & Dean last year he didn't feel like as big of a deal as we know he can be. That has changed since he got unleashed again as a singles wrestler with a clear focus, he has felt different and the audience has responded.

As IC champ he has such a clear mission: have the best match every single night and defend the championship with pride.

It is a simplicity and focus that is completely lacking from the Universal Title scene and every main event failure just makes Rollins look all the better.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    The justice is that Miz is a damn fine wrestler and the other two aren't.
    Oh look, an early contender for the best post on the board!

I do like Rollins overall, I caught the tail end of his match with Miz and thought it was pretty brilliant, so credit to both guys on that.

In his Tyler Black days I think he had a major "follow the leader" issue where he took no ownership in his matches and just did what the other guy wanted, while making sure to pepper in his super athletic spots. I think that can still be a problem but it's much less pronounced these days. I wish he was a little less go-go sometimes but he's much better positioned as a face than he was as a heel a few years back, when his title run noticeable tanked ratings and live attendance. This is a better fit for him. I wish I could trust WWE to put him in the driver's seat just doing what he's currently doing, which is mostly having banger matches, but I'm afraid they'll want him to start cutting 20 minute promos again, which isn't his forte. We shall see what happens.

Maybe because it's fresh in my memory, but this current face run is much more paletable than his heel run. That could also be down to it being one of the only decently booked runs on Raw right now.

its funny, I've always liked Seth but he was never my guy in the Shield (was more of a Dean guy) I thought his heel run was fun even if business suffered. You could tell he was giving it his all. And I think when he had the injury, he was about to embark on a face turn anyway.. Where it might not have been as hot as what he is now.. I think he's working for the audience because him and Dean's reunion was done really well. He doesn't likely get that if he stays healthy...

But moving on, he returns, and they kinda stumbled with his push....and he was bigger and he honestly looked slow and not back fully.. Even now, i think he's doing less than what he used but its working for him.. They added burn it down to the entrance, the stomp has a HBK thing going that works.. They could run this IC title open challenge all the way to summerslam and it would just make him a hotter i feel.

Would love for Reigns to turn on him too. Even if I don't care for their matches. Other option is Dean... but I'm still weary of doing that.

He's a great guy for the IC Title as the workhorse. Love that Superplex Into Falcon Arrow.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Quote Originally Posted by M.V.W. View Post
    He's a great guy for the IC Title as the workhorse. Love that Superplex Into Falcon Arrow.
    I love the way they have been using it as a counter opportunity of late. In the match with The Miz having it buckle while Miz countered was really ingenious.

I must say I'm not overly fond of that, actually....

So Seth has just recently tweeted out that he's considering another Open Challenge on Monday, before hashtagging fighting champion and then "brockwho" - which seems to caught on some. Pretty bold, but I sure as hell hope it doesn't result in a match that sees Rollins become just another piece of fodder for the Reigns push that, apparently, is both never happening and always happening at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam
    I love the way they have been using it as a counter opportunity of late. In the match with The Miz having it buckle while Miz countered was really ingenious.
    I gotta see that spot and match.

The open challenge shtick is pretty cool, I just hope it doesn't replace Rollins actually getting involved in long term feuds and stories with other wrestlers. I know it is kind of a story unto itself but Rollins has a great way of building things and integrating long term character and story arcs into his matches that I would be sad to see go by and replaced by a bunch of very competitive matches.

Still if anyone can do it and do it well, it is Rollins right now.

You're not wrong, and I would venture that not just applying to Rollins as an individual either but to the IC, especially post-Miz. It's clear that it - and Rollins - is in best shape when having something to sink teeth into, a proper story with real development.

As a mega-fan I am obviously excited by the idea of Rollins tearing it up every single week in the ring but it's not my first preference, and my paranoid fear would be that with forward motion in the form of character development this hot streak might burn itself out as the OC becomes old hat.

So given WWE"s form the last two years, that's probably exactly what's gonna happen damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    So given WWE"s form the last two years, that's probably exactly what's gonna happen damn it.
    "It worked for John pal"

You can just hear it.

I'm fine with the open challenges until Summerslam build. Money in the Bank, if Rollins is in it (not sure he is but lets say not) You could start a feud for him but not his summerslam match and since MITB is the draw, its not that needed..

if he's in the MITB, you could start a storyline from there.. of him losing I would imagine since he doesn't need it.

I also think the open challenge is smart to get people on TV who otherwise wouldn't be there, to see if they deserve more. Mojo was an example of that. Sounds like KO will be next... which obviously doesn't help with that idea lol but still. RAW has alot of midcard to lower card talent that need chances to shine.

Also i like the idea of Seth wrestling a normal match on the gimmick heavy PPVS like MITB and Extreme rules

There was a tease from a certain Pete Dunne about answering Seth's challenge this week, what with Raw being in UK and all, but this is not the case. One of the rare times I'm disappointed that Kevin Owens has a high profile match over somebody else!

I wonder what will be the end product with these open challenges. I love the idea of these. Gives it a real "TV Title" deal which I think brings some excitement to the show, but what is the next big program for Seth? Maybe they are waiting for Mr Jordan to return?
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

as far as like a major feud and we assume its not a universal title run, then its either a heel Dean or Jason Jordan.. although heard rumor for Jordan is a Alpha reunion.

Once Jordan comes back, he should just emulate Angle from 1999-2000, with the "I am so right that he becomes heel".

Quote Originally Posted by Powder
    Once Jordan comes back, he should just emulate Angle from 1999-2000, with the "I am so right that he becomes heel".
    Why did I think of Michael Jordan? But that seems very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    There was a tease from a certain Pete Dunne about answering Seth's challenge this week, what with Raw being in UK and all
    Oh HUGE missed opportunity, in front of the home audience too, the crowd would have LOST ITS SHIT.

Are they doing a second show? I need that in my life.

The Brain
    Is it just me, or is the "open challenge" thing becoming a crutch for midcard champions that they don't know what to do with? Ever since Cena did it, I feel like it's become more common. I'm not saying it's bad necessarily, gives lots of chances for great TV matches, but I do think it sometimes stands in the place of a more interesting story they could be telling.

I agree but i also think they're not doing much story telling with storylines lol and on Raw they don't have a top champion so I kinda like it because Roman is treated as the de facto guy so he's getting the consiparcy storyline so at least Seth doesn't have to deal with that.

Like I said, if it lasts for months and there's no payoff.. That i would have a problem with. Cena's run brought Owens up at least.

Yeah Plan and I were talking somewhere about how we hope it evolved into a fully fledged story because Rollins particularly is so good at enfusing story into his matches. You are right about its prevalence, KO teased it, AJ did it and now Rollins is doing it. It is obviously just an easy thing for the writers to write for: champ comes out, says he is champ, says he wants a challenger, challenger of the night comes out, says he is going to win, they have a match and champ retains.

WWE is very formulaic in how they write and that is basically what they are doing, it is easy and let's them say they are 'giving everyone a shot to show what they can do'. It would be a shame for them to not actually explore the tension that was bubbling in between Finn & Rollins just to see a cavalcade of challenger of the night.

Does anyone have any numbers on the decline in business when Rollins was on top?

I ask because I've been looking at some long term trends and it seems like since the Yes movement, the trend overall has been down for the TV ratings at least. Yes, you can point to individual spikes, but in 2014 before Seth became champion they were down 2013, and I've already seen several 'lowest since competing with WCW' type comments over the past couple of years.

So I'm wondering if we've actually seen what the numbers are, and whether it actually tracks on to Seth's reign or if the worst you can actually say is that he wasn't able to turn things around, like the guys in the mid-90s who also inherited a slump.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I must confess, a little defensively, that this talk of business suffering awfully during his title reign is a difficult pill to swallow myself without the hard evidence showing it was explicitly his reign that brought things down, and not a general trend he failed to turn around!

Even if business did suffer under Seth's reign, I don't believe it as an indictment on Seth. Rather an indictment on the booking going back to the authority angle and also the slow start the network had with all the expenses

For me personally, I don't give many hoots about business being down and all that stuff.

But I will say I don't see how that can be the case. It's execution may have its detractors, but Cena's US Open challenges were very popular. It also saw a very hot debut of Kevin Owens. Roman and Dean were in an interesting war with the Wyatts. And as annoyed as I was with Seth retaining in typical chickenshit heel fashion, he was doing his job. If trends were down at the time, then it wasn't the product's or creative's fault. That's for sure!!

However. Plan, you are undoubtedly a big time Rollins fan, and I more often than not agree with your justification bof his character development, match outcomes etc. But the Jon Stewart interference at Summerslam '15 was a real sticking point for me. It reminded me of when Kevin bloody Federline was costing Cena matches in mid-late 00s. Can you work your magic and convince me jpw the whole Jon Stewart thing was any good? It really put a dampener on my overall enjoyment of that Summerslam.

Stewart explained his actions the next night on Raw as being an effort to prevent Cena winning a 16th World title and tying Flair's record, which Stewart saw as sacrosanct. Cena responded by telling Stewart he had no idea what he had done in giving Seth and the Authority control over both the World and US titles.

It's a metaphor, commenting on the most prominent trend of the Reality Era the match happened in: that when fans start trying to dictate the course the product is taking, it's a double-edged sword that proves you need to be careful what you wish for.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, I don’t think it’s a reflection on Seth, although I didn’t enjoy his run at the time. It was just that the authority angle linked with his run was so goddamn awful that it hurt the product. Seth was a part of that but by no means the worst part. The Rollins we watch now is much, much better than the one we saw having to stroke the HHH/Stephanie egos week in, week out.

I was also annoyed about Seth's authority run because i thought they could have went with a Steph/Seth storyline.. no one would have loved it but me... but it would have added a layer to the trips feud and another reason why Seth was so keen to stay in the authority's good graces.

but alas.

I didn't like the authority angle but thought Seth was good in the run, and probably liked some of his matches in that run better than most of what I've seen from him since.

And with that surprisingly unpopular take on it, I'm away on holiday!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Wouldn't say its really an unpopular take to say his matches were better in some regards pre injury. I thought he came back too soon and I don't think he'll ever be as athletic as he was. He still has fantastic matches tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Stewart explained his actions the next night on Raw as being an effort to prevent Cena winning a 16th World title and tying Flair's record, which Stewart saw as sacrosanct. Cena responded by telling Stewart he had no idea what he had done in giving Seth and the Authority control over both the World and US titles.

It's a metaphor, commenting on the most prominent trend of the Reality Era the match happened in: that when fans start trying to dictate the course the product is taking, it's a double-edged sword that proves you need to be careful what you wish for.
    Hmmm. Fair enough. I do accept Stewart's explanation for his actions. I guess I just wasn't a fan of the whole execution and that my memory immediately recalling Kevin Federline just sullied it all for me.

This seemed to hold some truth...

33207401_2248554515411750_8564336410822180864_n.jpg
    Last edited by Powder; 05-23-2018 at 05:11 PM.

That is excellent, especially the cracks that are starting to form.

The shame is that in the right role Reigns is capable of great matches.

The Brain
    I also think there's something to be said about the fact that right now Rollins is free to just have great matches without the pressure of carrying any big stories or angles. I think when he transitions back to main events full time it'll still be well received, but it's sometimes easier to be loved in that upper midcard role.

Also he is the second biggest face on RAW right now since the WWE have cooled on Strowman.

Hopefully we gat Reigns turning on Rollins this time, saying that he still never forgot what he did.

The Brain
    HAHA, Roman trying to get revenge on Seth for the Shield breakup after all this time would be... wow, that'd really be something. "I was mad this whole time, but I guess I forgot about all those times we teamed up since then!"

Assume Rollins will spend most of the summer feuding with a heel Jason Jordan. And I'm fine with that actually.