Thread: Cover Songs

Cover Songs

Before the reboot, we had pretty good cover song discussions. Well, this thread is to discuss cover songs.

The other day I heard Close My Eyes Forever again by Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne, and it got me thinking, that this song would be great for a modern cover. I gave it a few days and I thought that Maria Brink from In This Moment and Brent Smith from Shinedown would do the song justice. My immediate thought was always Brink, but I was debating between Ivan Moody from 5 Finger Death Punch, David Draiman from Disturbed and Smith, and I came to choose Smith b/c the guy can flat out sing. Moody is great but too bass and I can't see him hitting the high notes, and after Sound of Silence, Draiman was a huge consideration, but again the high notes gave me reservations. But Brent Smith is just fantastic, he can wail, scream, and just sing amazingly. He has one of the best voices around in modern Rock music.

Thoughts and other suggestions?
    Last edited by Powder; 05-20-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Glad you started this up, love a good cover. I'd actually never heard that song before, very cool discovery. I'd say someone who could nail the vocals would be Justin Hawkins from The Darkness. Can't really think of any ladies but I honestly don't know many female rock singers so that probably doesn't help.

My recent obsession Greta Van Fleet do a pretty awesome cover of the gospel song A Change Is Gona Come, funnily enough the singer for them could probably hit the vocals in that song pretty well too (although he is more Robert Plant than Ozzy).

All 8 songs released by Greta Van Fleet are awesome, and you are right. There are continually compared to Zeppelin. a change is gonna come is really, really good.

The Brain
    Was just earlier listening to the Johnny Cash version of "Father and Son", which I dig almost as much as the original:

Speaking of Cash, you can’t leave out Hurt. He’s actually got several good ones from the American recordings. Personal Jesus springs to mind.

The Civil Wars were really good with covers, as well. Disarm is haunting. Billie Jean was always good live.

The Brain
    I do love Cash covers! He does a "Break My Rusty Cage" cover too that I love. "Hurt" is king, for sure, if I listen to that one too closely I get a tear in my eye every time.

The Man Comes Around and God's Gona Cut You Down are my personal favourites but it is hard to go past hurt.

Would you say he is the greatest cover artist out there?

The Brain
    You know, I never thought about it that way, but he's certainly my personal favorite now that I think of it. I love how he makes every cover his own, you always feel he has his own take on the song and he makes it real. When you count in the fact that a chunk of his stuff is covering existing folk songs, he really might be the best ever.

I adore When The Man Comes Around. Is that a cover though? Either way, amazing song.

Yep you're right, not a cover. Funny I always thought it was.

The Brain
    Easy mistake to make!

And funny enough, Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" just came on my Spotify.

No way, Leo Moracchioli, who is a YouTube cover artist. He takes songs and does metal covers of them. He plays every instrument and involves his family and make funny videos to go along with the songs. Check him out....he is awesome.

His version of Hello was all over Octane about a year to A year and a half ago.

Last edited by Powder; 05-22-2018 at 07:07 PM.

One of my favorite covers ever. Such an amazing voice, and a great take on a pretty good song.

Over memorial Day weekend, Octane on XM had a "Cover Your Ass" weekend, which was all about paying cover songs. It was outstanding music to listen to as I was driving my daughter from Long Island to York PA for a soccer tourney and I had some great music to listen to. They also had their weekly Big Uns countdown, but the twist was the "best cover songs" Here is the lost:

#15 – “Blank Space” – I PREVAIL

#14 – “Faith” – LIMP BIZKIT

#13 – “The Ghost Of Tom Joad” – RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

#12 – “Gimme Shelter” – STONE SOUR (f. LZZY HALE)

#11 – “Another Brick In The Wall” – KORN

#10 – “Holy Diver” – KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

# 9 – “Black Honey” – SEETHER

# 8 – “Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)” – MARILYN MANSON

# 7 – “The Sound Of Silence” – DISTURBED

# 6 – “Bad Company” – FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH

# 5 – “Zombie” – BAD WOLVES

# 4 – “Gone Away” – FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH

# 3 – “Simple Man”- SHINEDOWN

# 2 – “In The Air Tonight” – NONPOINT

# 1 – “Land Of Confusion” – DISTURBED

I do not agree that Zombie, Gone Away, and In The Air Tonight were at the correct positions as they are way to new in their releases. The fans voted on the positions from a list of songs, which is why the new "flavor of the month" was so high. The Sound of Silence and Faith should have been in the top 5.

That is an interesting list, I'm guessing they are a heavy alternate rock station, thst is a very metal and Nu-Metal centric list. I will have a listen to some of them but for me any best of list with Limp Bizkit on it immediately raises my eye brow.

Octane is THE Hard Rock/Metal station in the country. Most Hard Rock/Metal is played and debuted on Octane. The station Lithium is the alternative from the 90s, and Liquid Metal is the thrash/death metal station.

To this day I still do not understand the hate for Lip Bizkit. I have liked them for 20+ years and they are good. Faith is also an awesome cover.

Also IMO, #1 should have been Simple Man, 2 Sound of Silence

The Deftones version of Simple Man is leaps and bounds better than Shinedown’s version. Like... it’s not even close.

Also, Rise Against has a live version of The Ghost of Tom Joad that includes a few guests, including Tom Morello. As much as I love RATM, Rise Against’s version is a lot better, too.
    Last edited by meandi; 06-10-2018 at 01:49 PM.

The Brain
    I do actually love Disturbed's Land of Confusion, so that's a great shout.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I do actually love Disturbed's Land of Confusion, so that's a great shout.
    It's really good, but Sound of Silence is much better.

The Brain
    It's a little overwrought for me, to be honest. I like it but I don't love it like you do. I also think the original is still superior.

Herd a great cover of God Only Knows by Biffy Clyro in their latest Mtv Unplugged.

Very simple but well and truly did justice to an amazing song.

It's not a great song but Biffy Clyro got way more out of Fight for this love than Cheryl Cole did with the original, and I'm pretty sure they were just messing around.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Hahaha yeah I really liked that. Can't say it is Clyro or Sheryl's best piece of music but fun none the less.

On Triple J Like A Version there was a pretty good cover by one of my favourite songs Magnolia by Gang of Youths. It is a pretty intensely personal song that the lead singer wrote about his own suicide attempt but I guess that is the beauty of music, anyone can take a song and put their own spin on it. Odette did and I think the results were pretty spectacular, I had never heard of her before but will be looking up more by her.

Last edited by SirSam; 07-06-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: just realised I put the wrong clip in (a week later)

It won't be for everyone but I enjoy silly metal covers of old pop songs. Like this...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."